Go On The Record: First Round Pick

Go On The Record: First Round Pick Will Be...  

120 members have voted

1. 1. At #11 NYJ Select...

• WR
    • OT

I picked OT but honestly wouldn't be upset with Ruggs, Lamb, or Jeudy. Even trading down and taking Jefferson or Josh Jones could be the right move.

Grab a dynamic WR in Round 1 and you can still draft Niang, Wilson, Peart, Prince Wanogho, Cruz....all these guys are going Round 2 and later and could be really good players down the road. If Douglas really does specialize in OLine than let him use his specialty and trust that he finds talent and value. Doesn't HAVE to be in Rd1.

22 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's because I only gave a couple of examples but please don't talk to me about 1st round receivers (when some of the greatest receivers of all time have came out of the 1st round). 

Jerry Rice. 

Randy Moss. 

Tim Brown. 

Michael Irvin.

Lynn Swann. 

Al Toon. 

Marvin Harrison. 

Calvin Johnson.

Keyshawn Johnson. 

Larry Fitzgerald. 

Dez Bryant. 

AJ Green. 

Julio Jones. 

DeAndre Hopkins. 

Amari Cooper.

Mike Evans. 

Odell Beckham Jr. 

Etc, etc

All former and current 1st round WR draft picks.

and speaking of validation; I bet you can not create yourself a top 16-17 WR group (outside of the 1st round) that can match the production from those 16-17 who I've mentioned and listed above (I bet you can't); and until then please don't talk to me about 1st round receivers (when we've only drafted 2 dating back to 24 years ago of 1996). 

My apologies, I didn’t understand the concept of a discussion forum.  I didn’t realize that there were specific rules as to when I could talk to you about a certain subject matter.  I will try to keep that in mind and will try not to make that mistake again.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joejet said:

Most of the receivers you named were not first round picks.  You kind of validated getting your receiver later in the draft.

Also...Your mathmatical ability must be pretty off (especially regarding percentages).  How is it that "most of the one's mentioned weren't 1st round picks" despite...

Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Sterling Sharpe, Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, Terry Glenn, Plaxico Burress, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Amari Cooper and DeAndre Hopkins (15) all being 1st round picks.

Compared to...

Don Maynard, T.O, Andre Reed, Donald Driver, Rod Smith, Derrick Mason, Isaac Bruce, Chris Carter, Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill (11) as the ones drafted outside the 1st round. 

Because the last time I checked?

15 was larger than 11 and/or 11 is fewer than 15.

"Most". 

So how is it that "most" of the 26 receivers who I mentioned "weren't 1st rounders" despite over .576% completely stating otherwise (while only .423% were outside of the 1st round). 

Petty nitpicking, much; no?

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Bingo!

amazing how dumb some people, truly. 

Bingo? Amazing how dumb some people truly are? 

Funny because over 50% ala more than half of the players I listed were 1st rounders...

So who looks like the idiot, now? (lol). 

Nonetheless (regardless of pettiness due to a QB/WR duo list I created) all of these 1st Round WR's (100%) all say hello (just to name a few) and validate my thought process:

Jerry Rice. 

Randy Moss. 

Calvin Johnson.

Michael Irvin.

Tim Brown. 

Sterling Sharpe. 

Lynn Swann. 

Al Toon. 

Keyshawn Johnson. 

Marvin Harrison. 

Reggie Wayne. 

Larry Fitzgerald. 

Dez Bryant. 

AJ Green. 

Amari Cooper.

Julio Jones. 

Mike Evans. 

DeAndre Hopkins. 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 11: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (A)
Round 2 Pick 16: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (A)
Round 3 Pick 4: Jonah Jackson, OG, Ohio St. (A)
Round 3 Pick 15: Alex Taylor, OT, SC State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 14: Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech (A+)
Round 5 Pick 12: Jauan Jennings, WR, Tennessee (A+)
Round 6 Pick 12: A.J. Green, CB, Oklahoma St. (A+)
Round 6 Pick 32: Braden Mann, P, Texas A&M (A+)

23 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Also...Your mathmatical ability must be pretty off (especially regarding percentages).  How is it that "most of the one's mentioned weren't 1st round picks" despite...

Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Sterling Sharpe, Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, Terry Glenn, Plaxico Burress, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Amari Cooper and DeAndre Hopkins (15) all being 1st round picks.

Compared to...

Don Maynard, T.O, Andre Reed, Donald Driver, Rod Smith, Derrick Mason, Isaac Bruce, Chris Carter, Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill (11) as the ones drafted outside the 1st round. 

Because the last time I checked?

15 was larger than 11 and/or 11 is fewer than 15.

"Most". 

So how is it that "most" of the 26 receivers who I mentioned "weren't 1st rounders" despite over .576% completely stating otherwise (while only .423% were outside of the 1st round). 

Petty nitpicking, much; no?

I do agree that you are being petty with your nitpicking.  Glad to see we agree about something.

Just for fun, (in 202 NFL draft)

I think there will be several WR's drafted after the first round who have better careers than WR's drafted in the first round (not named Jeudy) 

There be be zero OT's drafted after the first round who have better careers then first 4 OT's drafted in the first round

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's because I only gave a couple of examples but please don't talk to me about 1st round receivers (when some of the greatest receivers of all time have came out of the 1st round). 

Jerry Rice. 

Randy Moss. 

Tim Brown. 

Michael Irvin.

Lynn Swann. 

Al Toon. 

Marvin Harrison. 

Reggie Wayne. 

Calvin Johnson.

Keyshawn Johnson. 

Larry Fitzgerald. 

Dez Bryant. 

AJ Green. 

Julio Jones. 

DeAndre Hopkins. 

Amari Cooper.

Mike Evans. 

Odell Beckham Jr. 

Etc, etc

All former and current 1st round WR draft picks.

and speaking of validation; I bet you can not create yourself a top 16-17 WR group (outside of the 1st round) that can match the production from those 16-17 who I've mentioned and listed above (I bet you can't); and until then please don't talk to me about 1st round receivers (when we've only drafted 2 dating back to 24 years ago of 1996). 

Year to year variance in the quality of the WR class makes a huge difference. This year happens to b a major outlier in regard to the level and depth of talent at WR. Prospects who would have been first round in other years will drop in the second and even third this year. Your analysis based on collecting names from previous drafts is not meaningful for this draft.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joejet said:

Most of the receivers you named were not first round picks.  You kind of validated getting your receiver later in the draft.

And those QB's were all protected by good to very good OL. Let's simplify it for defense Wins. Think of building a person. You start with the azzhole and build around it. You add the torso, the legs, the arms, the head, put a brain in it then add the heart.  If you don't, then it will just fall apart.  

19 hours ago, Vader said:

What do people think of this statement:

okudah is a better prospect than 3 of 4 OT and all the WRs. 

If he's there sure.  CB is just as needy as O-line if not worse.  

What Greg Williams did last year with the secondary was truly remarkable.

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

2.5:1 with the responses.

smart people around here. smarter than I thought.

well done.

What’s not smart would be to force the OT pick if you have a WR rated significantly higher with no options available to trade down. Both are huge needs, and both can be addressed in the following rounds. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Respectfully disagree. I prefer the blue chip OT. I think we’re desperate for help at tackle and WR, it just so happens the 11 overall is seemingly a good spot for OT’s and rounds 2-3 are loaded with viable WR prospects. 

What if there's no blue chips left?....  Wirfs/Thomas are sort of blue chippers... Wills is not. Becton is kinda trending that way. Red chips more like it. So, you're saying screw a blue chip WR, i want a red chip tackle cause we can get a red chip WRs later?.... 

We can't have tunnel vision. If that OT doesn't have a great grade, and Jeudy's there -- 100% take Jeudy. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What if there's no blue chips left?....  Wirfs/Thomas are sort of blue chippers... Wills is not. Becton is kinda trending that way. Red chips more like it. So, you're saying screw a blue chip WR, i want a red chip tackle cause we can get a red chip WRs later?.... 

We can't have tunnel vision. If that OT doesn't have a great grade, and Jeudy's there -- 100% take Jeudy. 

Wills and Thomas are blue chippers IMO, Becton and Wirfs are freaks with potential but raw AF. Josh Jones is a first round tackle that'd be a reach @ 11, but I think is a better pass blocker right now than Becton and Wirfs. 

I'd prefer to trade down and target Jones over Jeudy, but trading down is usually that thing we always all want but never actually do year after year. So, gun to my head, I'd take Jeudy over Jones. I'm hoping Becton & Wirfs 'freakishness' push them higher. I also hope Ruggs sneaks into the top 10. Basically I want everyone to overrate the f*** out of the combine for our benefit.

Wills and Thomas can play year one at a respectable level and have elite upside. If we come away with either of them in the first, I think we've hit a home run. There will be plenty of good receiver prospects available for our next three picks and I'm happy to double-dip at that position. 

15 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Wills and Thomas are blue chippers IMO, Becton and Wirfs are freaks with potential but raw AF. Josh Jones is a first round tackle that'd be a reach @ 11, but I think is a better pass blocker right now than Becton and Wirfs. 

I'd prefer to trade down and target Jones over Jeudy, but trading down is usually that thing we always all want but never actually do year after year. So, gun to my head, I'd take Jeudy over Jones. I'm hoping Becton & Wirfs 'freakishness' push them higher. I also hope Ruggs sneaks into the top 10. Basically I want everyone to overrate the f*** out of the combine for our benefit.

Wills and Thomas can play year one at a respectable level and have elite upside. If we come away with either of them in the first, I think we've hit a home run. There will be plenty of good receiver prospects available for our next three picks and I'm happy to double-dip at that position. 

Wills has some holes in his game and apparently has cement between the ears... doesn't mean he won't be great, but a stretch to call him a blue chip.

Regardless, if you think they're blue chips, then 10 other teams ahead of us most likely think so too. I really don't think we get a chance to draft a blue chip OT... 3 Defensive players, 3 QBs, 3 OTs... and you're down to 1 player... 

Chances are higher Jeudy is there, than Wirfs/Thomas/Wills

23 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Reasoning for an OT:

Folks, we've been looking for our franchise QB for what? Almost 50 years?  We finally have someone with a bit of potential (accent on potential) and we are not going to invest in several ways to protect him at all cost?  That's asinine.  If he can't stand up straight and is constantly running for his life, Jerry Rice can be out there, it's going to be make zero difference.

Good news: Joe Douglas seems slow, steady and RATIONAL--which 99.999999% of the NYJ fan base is NOT.  Not a chance in hell is this guy going with a first round WR.  It's just not in his DNA.

And for those of us with some logic and mental wherewithal, this bodes well...

Further reasoning:

1. This is one of the deepest drafts at WR in a very long time where you can find an impact WR in Rd. 2, Rd. 3 or even Rd. 4. The Jets happen to have 2 draft picks in Rd. 3. 

2. This draft has 4 premier OT prospects and one should be the at 11. What is even more interesting is that there is a second tier of OTs who seem to fit the Jet system, some of who will go later in Rd. 1 or early in Rd. 2. This gives the Jets a potential to trade down and STILL get their OT. J.Jones, Tega-Wanogho, Jackson, Niang. 

3. As much as some Jet fans have been bemoaning lack of weapons after the loss of Robby Anderson. The fact is they currently have Edoga and Fant as the only legit OTs on the roster. McDermott is the 3rd but he's not quite shown he can play that position in the NFL. So while the Jets signed some nice interior O-line depth they have absolutely no OT depth. 

4. Time and time again its been proven that an offense, no matter how many weapons, cannot function without a functioning O-line. Time and time again its been proven a good QB makes his WRs better if he has adequate protection. Time and time again its been proven a dominant O-line allows both the run and pass game to be elevated to new level. Think Tenn Titans, think Cowboys before their O-line was decimated by injuries.    

On 4/5/2020 at 1:51 AM, Wonderboy said:

This is what will happen to Sam if we dont get him an elite LT. First things first.

transport.jpg

That picture above actually reminds of the Jets (after our two runs) while heading into 2011. After Mark Sanchez lost his offensive weapons in Holmes and Braylon and replaced by awful aging and past their prime washed up veterans in Mason and Plaxico. Great offensive line and all; that was the end of Mark Sanchez as a quarterback. Sanchez died during the offseason and never came back to life. 

Give me Jeudy/Lamb or watch Darnold suffer due to no offensive weapons. 

OT. 

We have no choice in the matter. I hope that we can trade down with a team like Minnesota and get their 22nd and 25th picks and trade them our 11th and 48th picks. 

I can see us getting Josh Jones and either a Denzel Mims or Tee Higgins in that scenario. 

We cannot walk away from this draft without at top tier OT and WR. I'd be satisfied with OT Jones along with either Jefferson, Mims or Higgins. 

With that said, if all we had to work with is the 11th pick, then OT is the answer as nothing in the passing or running game will matter if the Oline isnt addressed.