Evals of 5 Current Jets Players Will Directly Impact Draft Decisions

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

These are 5 players that are on the roster but sort of question marks.  How Douglass and Gase feel about these 5 players will go a long way in determining who the Jets draft in 2 weeks:

1. OT Chuma Edoga - Fans didn't really see enough of Edoga to know whether he is a potential NFL starter at OT.  If the Jets saw enough of him in preseason and practice to have confidence in him, it will impact the team's entire draft strategy.  If the Jets saw enough of him and didn't like what they see, if they don't see him as a potential starter, that will change strategy too. IMHO, the relatively unknown Edoga is the key question mark that will drive many of the Jets draft day decisions.
  2. WR Vyncint Smith - Played really well at times last year and showed athleticism and potential.  Do the Jets see him as a game in, game out contributor at WR?  If so, the 4 main WRs would be Crowder, Perriman, Doctson, and Smith - that might be enough to pass on a WR in the 1st 2 rounds.  Of course, if the Jets don't really believe Smith has that ability, it increases the need for a WR
  3. LB Tarrell Basham - Played a little more toward the end of the year and flashed some potential as a pass rusher.  Most Jets fans have no idea if he can be a reliable pass rusher over 16 games, if he can, the will obviously reduce the need for a pass rusher, especially in the middle rounds.  If the Jets think he was just a flash in the pan, the keeps pass rusher a high priority
  4. CB Bless Austin - What do Douglas/Gase/Williams really think of him?  Do they think he can play?  Does he have potential to be a starting CB in the NFL?  He looked good at times and at times had some dramatic failures.  Jets fans are probably undecided but hopeful about him, but what does the team think?  If they believe in him, it would move CB down the list of needs
  5. RB Josh Adams - Some people rave about him, but he didn't get much of a chance last year despite being on the practice squad  all year and getting a few snaps toward the end of the year.  If the Jets front office like him, if they think he can be Bell's backup, that might mean the Jets won't draft a RB.  Conversely, if the Jets spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB, it will probably mean Adams is a goner

I really hope Austin and Bassham pan out. They really flashed in moments last year. Also if we end up drafting a running back it might be that Bell is done not Adams.  Assuming the front office values Josh Adams.  Bell wasn’t Gase’s or JD’s guy, and is expensive.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sarge.....highlighted is a truly scary thought.  

If the Jets think Smith can be a good starting caliber NFL WR, then our WR doesn't look so bad.  If they don't think Smith is that type of player, then we really need a WR

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If the Jets think Smith can be a good starting caliber NFL WR, then our WR doesn't look so bad.  If they don't think Smith is that type of player, then we really need a WR

I do believe Sam doesn’t need all stars at WR to be successful, but it sure as hell wouldn’t hurt! I am all in on a WR at 11. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

These are 5 players that are on the roster but sort of question marks.  How Douglass and Gase feel about these 5 players will go a long way in determining who the Jets draft in 2 weeks:

1. OT Chuma Edoga - Fans didn't really see enough of Edoga to know whether he is a potential NFL starter at OT.  If the Jets saw enough of him in preseason and practice to have confidence in him, it will impact the team's entire draft strategy.  If the Jets saw enough of him and didn't like what they see, if they don't see him as a potential starter, that will change strategy too. IMHO, the relatively unknown Edoga is the key question mark that will drive many of the Jets draft day decisions.
  2. WR Vyncint Smith - Played really well at times last year and showed athleticism and potential.  Do the Jets see him as a game in, game out contributor at WR?  If so, the 4 main WRs would be Crowder, Perriman, Doctson, and Smith - that might be enough to pass on a WR in the 1st 2 rounds.  Of course, if the Jets don't really believe Smith has that ability, it increases the need for a WR
  3. LB Tarrell Basham - Played a little more toward the end of the year and flashed some potential as a pass rusher.  Most Jets fans have no idea if he can be a reliable pass rusher over 16 games, if he can, the will obviously reduce the need for a pass rusher, especially in the middle rounds.  If the Jets think he was just a flash in the pan, the keeps pass rusher a high priority
  4. CB Bless Austin - What do Douglas/Gase/Williams really think of him?  Do they think he can play?  Does he have potential to be a starting CB in the NFL?  He looked good at times and at times had some dramatic failures.  Jets fans are probably undecided but hopeful about him, but what does the team think?  If they believe in him, it would move CB down the list of needs
  5. RB Josh Adams - Some people rave about him, but he didn't get much of a chance last year despite being on the practice squad  all year and getting a few snaps toward the end of the year.  If the Jets front office like him, if they think he can be Bell's backup, that might mean the Jets won't draft a RB.  Conversely, if the Jets spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB, it will probably mean Adams is a goner

Great post.  I think part of the thought process will be " how much better are the draft prospects compared to what we currently have" and which positions are most important in helping Sam and improving the team"?   Id be surprised if we didnt draft one or more of each of these positions, but the order in which they are drafted will reflect where management thinks we can get the most bang for our draft buck.  If offensive tackle and WR arent drafted 1 and 2 Id be shocked, based on everything Douglas has been saying as well as the strength of the draft.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Drums said:

I do believe Sam doesn’t need all stars at WR to be successful, but it sure as hell wouldn’t hurt! I am all in on a WR at 11. 

Agree, but  IF they think Smith is an actual starting caliber NFL WR - and that's a big iF - then the need to daft a WR in the 1st 2 rounds is reduced.  If they don't think he is that type of player, of course, then WR is still a big priority.  That question mark is sort of an unknown that will determine how the Jets set up their draft.   

If they think Smith an NFL starter but Edoga isn't, OT is vital at 11, conversely, if they think Edoga is a potential quality NFL starter but Smith isn't an NFL WR, then WR becomes more urgent

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I liked what I saw from WR Smith last year. I still think they will draft a WR in the first 2 rounds. Just too much great talent there with true game changers not to IMHO.

• Upvote 4

To think any of these guys will impact the draft seems to me to be a very Mac way of thinking.  If ALL of these guys panned out, there is still a significant need for more depth.  Vyncent Smith is not going to move the needle one way or another when it comes to prioritizing WR in the draft.  Douglas is going to draft at least two WR and likely bring in a few more UDFA.  He's going to draft at least two OL with or without Edoga.  He's going to draft one CB and probably sign another vet regardless of what they think of Bless.

We cannot continue to have blind spots in critical areas of need.  That's what has gotten us here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

To think any of these guys will impact the draft seems to me to be a very Mac way of thinking.  If ALL of these guys panned out, there is still a significant need for more depth.  Vyncent Smith is not going to move the needle one way or another when it comes to prioritizing WR in the draft.  Douglas is going to draft at least two WR and likely bring in a few more UDFA.  He's going to draft at least two OL with or without Edoga.  He's going to draft one CB and probably sign another vet regardless of what they think of Bless.

We cannot continue to have blind spots in critical areas of need.  That's what has gotten us here.

I think the point is IF they think Smith can be a good NFL WR - stating caliber - then WR isn't an area of critical need.  Same for OT if they think that about Edoga and CB if they think that about Austin.  

I, and other average fans like me, have no idea what the team thinks about those guys, but those things will impact the draft in important, if unknowable, ways

2 hours ago, Drums said:

2019... "Jets have no weapons."

2020... delete Anderson, add Perriman... "No thanks, Draft. We're good."

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

smith?   jesus fuggin christ....

naw, its really berrios who will become the nexxt welker

I agree, he's sort of the same thing - he made a few nice plays and seemed to have a budding chemistry with Sam.  If they Jets think he is a legit NFL receiver, that will impact the draft.

But, I still think Smith looked pretty good at times and made a few very nice plays - I don't see how anyone can think Berrios has potential (which I agree he does) but not think Smith has potential based on their play last season

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

2019... "Jets have no weapons."

2020... delete Anderson, add Perriman... "We're good."

Wasn’t me saying that. I look at Perriman as a downgrade from Robby as of now. I think in an ideal situation, our TEs both stay healthy and are the backbone for Sam’s improvisations and score a lot of points, but if we had Jeudy’s route running, I think Sam would be fookin’ dangerous... as long as he had a little time to throw. 

• Upvote 2

Good post Sarge..

I don't know if it's a matter of whether or not they think that these guys can start, but it's a matter of breeding competition.

I think the idea is to get a bunch of capable players at all the positions and the cream will rise to the top. That's how you pick your starters. When it's a tough decision you know you've done a good job. The goal is to have minimal drop off when a player is the next man up.

• Upvote 1

remove smith, basham, & adams

add fant (does JD really believe fant is legit LT or was he just forced to pay that contract as he'd been burned by all of the LT's that he really believed in)

---

even if smith reaches his top end potential it will be as a #3 or #4 level WR, ... we are still lacking a top end WR ... taking one in round 2 or 3 is the play

basham = similar to smith, his ceiling does not reduce the need for a pass-rusher.  If JD & AG believe he has a good chance to reach that ceiling probably does push the earlier need for OT, WR, CB above pass rusher unless a big disparity in value.

adams - if back-up rb is the target, no higher than a late round pick should be spent on it ... if the believe is Bell is done, regardless of now OL & blocking scheme, I believe he can be cut without salary cap suicide... if this is the belief then RB should be drafted 3rd round-ish 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, ljr said:

add fant

---

even if smith reaches him top end potential it will be as a #3 level WR, ... we are still lacking a top end WR ... taking one in round 2 or 3 is the play

basham = similar to smith, his ceiling does not reduce the need for a pass-rusher.  If JD & AG believe he has a good chance to reach that ceiling probably does push the earlier need for OT, WR, CB above pass rusher unless a big disparity in value.

adams - if back-up rb is the target, no higher than a late round pick should be spent on it ... if the believe is Bell is done, regardless of now OL & blocking scheme, I believe he can be cut without salary cap suicide... if this is the belief then RB should be drafted 3rd round-ish 

I like the point about Fant and I agree, but my question is, will they even get to see Fant practice before the draft? No, right? So I am not exactly sure they know what they have quite yet. At least the other guys have played in our system and practiced with our team.

Use the free NFL Game Pass and watch the coaches film of Fant. If you haven't already been doing it, it is awesome. I watched Van Rotten and McGovern in some action and they looked good. So far with Fant, I've only watched the San Fran game week 17 when he went up against Bosa most of the game. He moves well but gets pushed back on bull rushes. I want to watch more but after watching that game, and knowing he's improved with experience, I think he can be at Beachum's level. With that said, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add a real LT to this team and I'd like to do that via FA or trade so we can still draft a day 1 WR playmaker at 11.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Drums said:

I like the point about Fant and I agree, but by question is, will they even get to see Fant practice before the draft? No, right? So I am not exactly sure they know what they have quite yet. At least the other guys have played in our system and practiced with our team.

thx!

i hear ya on fant ... edited in more info on my thoughts there!

• Upvote 3

I think you can take Smith, Basham, and Austin off this list for the following reasons:

Smith: He definitely has not shown he is good enough to make enough of an impact for the Jets to pass on a WR they like in Rd. 1 or Rd. 2. In other words, regardless of what the Jets think of his potential, I think WR will remain high priority for the Jets. Now, if they end up drafting a WR in Rd. 3, it won't be b/c of Smith. 

Basham: I think with Basham the Jets have seem enough to know what they are getting from him. He has been on the team for 2 years now. I think as far as draft needs, Basham will not impact the edge position much. 

Austin: I think the Jets are high on Austin, period. I mean, obviously there's the injury history which everyone knows about. But I think they view him as a starting NFL CB at the very least. That doesn't mean CB is not a need when it comes to the draft. I just think we can assume he's a starter or going to be given a clear-cut opportunity to start next season. 

The biggest question marks from this list are Edoga and Adams. Edoga just because he really struggled and with Fant and an early OT draft pick (and most likely another veteran FA added at some point) he may not start at RT and may not even get much of a chance to start. Adams is mostly a mystery. The dude barely played but we keep hearing how the Jets like him.    

• Upvote 3

good list of guys who have and can contribute but need to step up to be starters, especially edoga and then mainly because they don't have many tackles that are demonstrably reliable at the moment.  i know a lot of fans don't like fant but i think we just have to give douglass the benefit of the doubt.  he's not the second coming of munoz.  all he has to be is better than beachum.

I don’t think any impact what we do at the draft.  Either way both OL and WR were gonna be a big target at the draft.  Knowing his background and what he has done in FA Douglas obviously is big on OL.  As for WR it’s the deepest class in quite a while.  I do think we will grab another CB regardless 

Just now, Jets723 said:

I don’t think any impact what we do at the draft.  Either way both OL and WR were gonna be a big target at the draft.  Knowing his background and what he has done in FA Douglas obviously is big on OL.  As for WR it’s the deepest class in quite a while.  I do think we will grab another CB regardless 

Grab Bryce Hall or Troy Pride Jr in the 3rd.

2. WR Vyncint Smith - Played really well at times last year and showed athleticism and potential.  Do the Jets see him as a game in, game out contributor at WR?  If so, the 4 main WRs would be Crowder, Perriman, Doctson, and Smith - that might be enough to pass on a WR in the 1st 2 rounds. 

The fact Gase elevated Edoga to right tackle and then left tackle as a rookie (and then kept force feeding him the RT snaps until he got injured, and shell got the job back by default) means the coaching staff has some faith in him. 

Smith is more of a kick returner. And Josh Docton is waiver wire trash for him to be WR3 would be a hugely troubling outcome. 

• Upvote 1

He’s probably related to Jamal - trade him.

That would, almost certainly, be the worst starting four in the NFL.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ljr said:

add fant (does JD really believe fant is legit LT or was he just forced to pay that contract as he'd been burned by all of the LT's that he really believed in)

judging from JD's other transactions this spring he's not going to be FORCED to do anything. He's giving out 1 year deals and sitting on 40 mil in cap space.

He wanted George Fant. Which means Fant is going to get a every single chance to start at left tackle, this season, (whether we believe it or not, whether they draft OT at 11 or not). 

• Upvote 2

Nice post.

Of those players, the guy I believe in the most is Austin. I think he could be a solid starter this year. The second guy I’m optimistic about is Edoga. He has a “chance” of being a starter. Likely swing tackle though. His college tape is solid. 

The rest I think are quality depth at best. I’m not going to excited about those three.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I keep clicking on these numbers trying to vote on whose Eval is the most important.  Am I doing something wrong or did you not make this a poll???

:P

• Haha 1