Mehta: CJ needs to institute Playoff Mandate

I agree with the poster that called this an insanely ridiculous thread.   Manish (the troll) Mehta, downtrodden but loyal Jets fans opining one way or the other.  At least we have some entertainment under quarantine. 

My two cents, we have an adult (Joe D) in the building and I'm in favor of the ownership listening to that guy versus the troll reporter and passionate fans (myself included) who are tired of a decade of embarrassments and low expectations.  Joe D just delivered a good group of low-investment/high upside free agent acquisitions with several upgrades to our OL.  Then by most accounts hit a home run in the draft, expertly acquiring more picks and and significantly improving the offense, defense and special teams.  Then he attacks UDFA where he has signed several highly rated prospects who have a reasonable chance to earn roster spots next season.  Best off season since 2006 IMO.  

I seriously doubt we have a "normal" full season of training camps and a regular season anyway but I am hopeful and maybe just a little excited that we found the right mix of executives, coaches and players to eventually compete at a high level.  Go Jets! 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2020 at 10:08 AM, slats said:

Here's a link to the article: https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-adam-gase-playoff-mandate-20200429-zxin4ju5p5a6dbfg762go4beay-story.html

Here's a quote: "So, the time is now to hold the head coach accountable: Make the playoffs or make way for someone who can.

Basically, Mehta still hates Gase. Big news. 

And what Mehta wants...Mehta must get.  A rag writing turd is what he is.  

I have no conclusive opinion on Gase.  I'm more curious on if I can get a glimpse of what Peyton Manning swears is an impressive offensive mind. 

IMO this team has significantly enough upgrades and added depth to allow Gase a chance to show us what he can do.  I believe Jets can compete for the wide open AFCE. 

For the sake of the Jets...I hope Gase succeeds.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

IMO this team has significantly enough upgrades and added depth to allow Gase a chance to show us what he can do.  I believe Jets can compete for the wide open AFCE. 

A8-CF4-F31-9139-41-C0-8569-6-C2-CA97-C4-

SAR I

On 4/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, Warfish said:

Why are Jets fans seemingly so averse these days to accountability and a demand for results?

We do WANT a playoff team in 2020, don't we? 

It's like Darnold and Gase are the Untouchables, for whom no pressure is ever needed nor desired according to many Jets Fans.

I honestly don't get it.

And I don't get the ridiculous idea that the owner has to "mandate" playoffs in order for the team and coaches to play as hard as possible and try to win. That's frankly sophmoric and empty -- sound and fury signifying nothing, to borrow a phrase.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And I don't get the ridiculous idea that the owner has to "mandate" playoffs in order for the team and coaches to play as hard as possible and try to win. That's frankly sophmoric and empty -- sound and fury signifying nothing, to borrow a phrase.

Agreed.  After 9 seasons, playoffs absolutely should be the goal.  But this need for a public playoff mandate just seems ridiculous to me (in other words, typical Metha rantings).  With or without the mandate, CJ can still make changes deemed necessary when appropriate.  A playoff mandate is just silly grandstanding that accomlishes nothing.

• Upvote 2

On 4/30/2020 at 10:28 AM, KRL said:

Such nonsense by people who just want things to write.  So if Johnson did issue a mandate,
what do these geniuses think would happen???  Nothing but confusion and controversy once
the facilities open up:

- Every time Gase gave a presser he would be quizzed on it

- Every time Douglas interacts with the media he'll be asked about it.  And of course
they'll ask him the criteria for Gase to keep his job

- Of course there would be countless "leaks" of who Douglas may be looking at to be
the next HC

- Every player interview would have them being asked about Gase's job security

Words mean nothing, give me actions and results that's all I care about.  Not some fake
tough guy playoff mandate

This, pretty much. Besides the fact that Manish has an axe to grind with Gase the idea of the owner publicly giving the coach a mandate does absolutely nothing to help the team. It just helps reporters by giving them controversy to write about.

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:50 AM, Lith said:

Agreed.  After 9 seasons, playoffs absolutely should be the goal.  But this need for a public playoff mandate just seems ridiculous to me (in other words, typical Metha rantings).  With or without the mandate, CJ can still make changes deemed necessary when appropriate.  A playoff mandate is just silly grandstanding that accomlishes nothing.

200.gif

Adam Gase

200.gif

M      Make

T       The

P       Playoffs

Or hit the bricks!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why Mehta is actually right:

1. Gase actually has a good roster this season 

2. the rest of the division is not good 

3. 10 years no playoffs 

Why Mehta is actually wrong:

1. We think the roster will be improved but we won't know if its going to translate to wins this year until we see the OL in sync; we thought the OL would be decent last year too.

2. Coronavirus learning curve is a real issue for the NFL, especially the first quarter of the season, and we have a lot of young players who will not get much time on the field.  Most believe that teams with new coaching staffs will be hit the hardest, followed by teams with a lot of young/new additions.  We could get off to a slow start not for lack of coaching effort but for lack of on field availability due to a pandemic.

3. Most had the Jets at 5-11 last year and most have the Jets O/U at 6.5 this year.  How can there be a mandate when none but a few diehard Jets fans even think the Jets have a shot at .500?

SAR I

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  After 9 seasons, playoffs absolutely should be the goal.

Sure, if Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles, Mike Tannenbaum, John Idzik, or Mike Maccagnan still had offices in Florham Park.

Adam Gase has been here exactly 1 year.  Joe Douglas not even 1 year.

To think there is a "mandate" is ludicrous.  The front office housecleaning is a year old.  There isn't a clock that goes back nine.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Why Mehta is actually wrong:

1. We think the roster will be improved but we won't know if its going to translate to wins this year until we see the OL in sync; we thought the OL would be decent last year too.

2. Coronavirus learning curve is a real issue for the NFL, especially the first quarter of the season, and we have a lot of young players who will not get much time on the field.  Most believe that teams with new coaching staffs will be hit the hardest, followed by teams with a lot of young/new additions.  We could get off to a slow start not for lack of coaching effort but for lack of on field availability due to a pandemic.

3. Most had the Jets at 5-11 last year and most have the Jets O/U at 6.5 this year.  How can there be a mandate when none but a few diehard Jets fans even think the Jets have a shot at .500?

SAR I

So coronavirus will be the new excuse?

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sure, if Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles, Mike Tannenbaum, John Idzik, or Mike Maccagnan still had offices in Florham Park.

Adam Gase has been here exactly 1 year.  Joe Douglas not even 1 year.

To think there is a "mandate" is ludicrous.  The front office housecleaning is a year old.  There isn't a clock that goes back nine.

SAR I

There’s no mandate because the Johnsons don’t care about winning

That’s why Todd Bowles got 4 years

23 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is one of the most ridiculous inane threads I have ever read.  The Jets are rebuilding. The roster needs almost complete revamping.  The GM has had one - count em - one offseason of free agency and one draft.  The team was crushed by injuries last season and the QB ( who does not need a new coach and new system for the 3rd time in 4 seasons) missed a significant number of games.  The Jets have a completely rebuilt OL that has not played a down together in practice let alone a game.  The WR corps is new.  There likely won't be any OTA's and a timely start to training camp is questionable at best.  Any some idiot beat writer wants to put a playoff mandate on this team under these circumstances?    Mandates are absurd to begin with, but this is just stupid. Ummm NFW.  Let's let the season play out (if there is one)

You nailed it with your post, it is amazing how the Gase haters take it run with it. Yet somehow there are many idiots on here who agree with him, and a mandate. With the Jets schedule this year, all you could want is consistency and the team gelling and improving in all phases. If Gase can't get this offense playing much better this season, and it ends badly, then he can be held accountable. I am hopeful with the talent JD has added to the team, we will see a big difference.

• Thumb Down 1

52 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So coronavirus will be the new excuse?

That was exactly my thought as well.  Gase/SAR I will use the virus as the new excuse.

I'm not even necessarily for a playoff mandate btw.  I just want to see real progress this year rather than excuses.  And if we don't show real progress then it's time to sh_t-can Gase after this year.

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

1. No one "has" to do anything.  What I posted was opinion, not an order.  Lighten up Francis.

2. Ownership can and should set the tone, for both the Organization as a whole, and for paying Fans.  After ages of being a worthless poopstain of a franchise, it would be nice to see Ownership set a few expectations.  Better still if they then hold people accountable if those expecations are not met.  In my opinion.

3. Setting expectations is only "empty" if A. an actual public "or else..." threat is made.  And B. the threat isn't then followed through on.  In this case I wish for no threat.  Only a public setting of expectations, whatever Ownerships expectations may be.  A winning Season?  A playoff berth?  A year where we AREN'T close to deal last in Offense for a change?  I know where my expectations would be right now.  Maybe other folks have no expectations and 0-16 and dead last in O is okay for them....

If you don't want such a thing, good for you.  I'd prefer a little "failure will not be tolerated" for a change, given the recent past. 

To each their own,

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, FidelioJet said:

14 teams make the playoffs - almost half of the league.  I think this team should absolutely expect to get into the playoffs.  It’s very far from Pie In The Sky.  

This team not going to the playoffs will absolutely be on Gase.  

They had one of the softest schedules in history last year, something they arent going to have this time around.  If you think playoffs should be a given, you are just setting yourself up an excuse to cray about Gase.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is one of the most ridiculous inane threads I have ever read.  The Jets are rebuilding. The roster needs almost complete revamping.  The GM has had one - count em - one offseason of free agency and one draft.  The team was crushed by injuries last season and the QB ( who does not need a new coach and new system for the 3rd time in 4 seasons) missed a significant number of games.  The Jets have a completely rebuilt OL that has not played a down together in practice let alone a game.  The WR corps is new.  There likely won't be any OTA's and a timely start to training camp is questionable at best.  Any some idiot beat writer wants to put a playoff mandate on this team under these circumstances?    Mandates are absurd to begin with, but this is just stupid. Ummm NFW.  Let's let the season play out (if there is one)

You wont be very popular here with that rational thought BS.  You need to be a delusional homer or delusional h8r to be accepted.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:08 AM, playtowinthegame said:

In 2020 the AFC East is WIDE OPEN and there needs to be a PLAYOFF MANDATE for the Jets.

The jury is out on Gase. He has done nothing to solidify his position as head coach. He was a flop in Miami and these 7 wins people are clamoring last year about are laughable. They had some big wins and some really ugly losses. Yet, he has shown some promise with Darnold and has GW taking care of the defense.  This upcoming season is vital for Gase to show what he can do.  There are no more excuses.  The roster has been upgraded. Darnold has gone threw his growing pains. The OL is revamped.  We have some new weapons on offense and defense. The Jets offense must be more explosive, consistent and control games and the clock. Gase needs to develop a more balanced offense. The Jets need to win a minimum of 9 games and be in playoff contention down the stretch.  Gase's saving point is having gotten rid of Macc.  But that's not enough. Time for Gase to put up or shut up.  If things don't turn around next year, dump Gase and put GW in charge as HC.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Time for Gase to put up or shut up.  If things don't turn around next year, dump Gase and put GW in charge as HC.

The knife cuts both ways.  If Gase opens 5-1 he gets an extension.

Agreed?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The knife cuts both ways.  If Gase opens 5-1 he gets an extension.

Agreed?

SAR I

The same gase that you heaped praise on for winning 7 games while leading the 32nd ranked offense while Gregg Williams essentially was the reason the team won the games while facing basically the same obstacles gase did.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The same gase that you heaped praise on for winning 7 games while leading the 32nd ranked offense while Gregg Williams essentially was the reason the team won the games while facing basically the same obstacles gase did.

It's a lot harder to score points than it is to play solid defense.  If it weren't, NFL teams would average 80 points a game instead of 24.

Gase did a better job with our crippled O than Williams did with our crippled D. 

SAR I

10 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So what would the Johnsons do differently if they declared a "mandate?" Right. Exactly what they are already doing.

Bowles got 4 years to suck maybe Gase will get 10 years with 0 playoff appearances and not even a winning record

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Amazing how on this messageboard pompous clowns like Mangini and Gase get worshipped but Rex, who actually won in the playoffs, oh he sucks

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2020 at 7:48 PM, GreenReaper said:

And what Mehta wants...Mehta must get.  A rag writing turd is what he is.  

I have no conclusive opinion on Gase.  I'm more curious on if I can get a glimpse of what Peyton Manning swears is an impressive offensive mind. 

Every word of this, exactly

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Except losing your QB, then his backup, and then that backup behind a damaged OL is not exactly on the same plane as  losing your MLB, certainly based on your own assessment of how unimportant inside linebackers and safeties are.