Mehta: CJ needs to institute Playoff Mandate

12 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

For 2020 lets have a mandate to potentially get through a season of football and all stay alive like the players and all of us.

Off course that's without saying. This thread though is about the New York Jets and whether or not Jets ownership should institute a PLAYOFF MANDATE when it is safe enough for the NFL to return in 2020. Bottom line the Jets organization needs to end their decade long playoff drought. Pressure is good. 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

In your mind perhaps, but not in reality.

The Bills were the Jets in blue uniforms last season, except with the good fortune of being perfectly healthy. 

at Jets
Dolphins
Bengals

If the Jets won those 3 games, we get the wildcard, not the Bills.  That's how thin the margin of the playoff berth was.  If Darnold dosen't get mono and/or we don't lose 17 players to the IR, it happens.

A part of me likes the fact that the Bills are getting the predictable and pedestrian favoritism; it'll make it that much easier for their owner to fire McDermott and cut Allen at the end of their 7 9 season.

SAR I

You better be on the Jets need to win the AFC EAST in 2020 and make the playoffs train. Can't have it both ways unless you want talk with a forked tongue.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Show me where I'm being inconsistent.  O-line matters in real football.  The Jets O-line should be better or equal in 5 of 5 spots.  This means Bell should have more holes and Darnold should have more time.  If Herndon and Griffin return, there are zero exuses for Adam Gase and his offense to continue to perform the way Adam Gase's offense always performs.

Top half of the NFL or call Peyton and see if he'll give you a job that has nothing to do with the Jets.

Unless you think the Jets are a playoff team right now you can give no mandate.  Yankees are a World Series contender, there is no question about that.  If ownership wanted to give Boone a mandate, whatever.  But Gase?

You can't spend the offseason screaming about how untalented this team is and how far the Jets have to go just to get back to respectability and then issue a playoff mandate.  It makes no sense.  If the playoffs aren't your expectation then you can't be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs.

SAR I

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

TAKEAWAY: If the Jets had won enough games to be the wildcard last year, they would've been the wildcard.

TAKEAWAY:  The delta between the Jets and Bills isn't some chasm and they were lucky that the Jets were an injured mess last year or else they don't make the playoffs.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Off course that's without saying. This thread though is about the New York Jets and whether or not Jets ownership should institute a PLAYOFF MANDATE when it is safe enough for the NFL to return in 2020. Bottom line the Jets organization needs to end their decade long playoff drought. Pressure is good. 

Give your C+ son a mandate to get accepted to Harvard, explain to your wife how that's good parenting.

SAR I

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

You better be on the Jets need to win the AFC EAST in 2020 and make the playoffs train. Can't have it both ways unless you want talk with a forked tongue.

I am 100% on the train.  But without a mandate.  The Jets are not a slam-dunk to have a winning record let alone a playoff berth.  But I believe we can overachieve and surprise this year, I like what I see in Darnold, I feel good about the FA and draft acquisitions, and I love what Gase did last year to restore order in Florham Park.

So playoffs yes, mandate no.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

So the owner should deliver not merely an ultimatum, but deliver it publicly? I suppose this won’t have any effect on a group of players incapable of not having their balls cupped after bad performances. It won’t at all give them leverage in knowing they and a small group of wuss underachievers couldn’t collectively get their coach fired. 

This is the opposite of what a smart owner should do (not that CJ or WJ are noticeably smart anyway); let alone going over his half-decade-guaranteed GM’s head to cut off his balls as well. 

Players - whether they just got drafted or are in their last few years of high productivity potential - need to feel that Gase is their HC whether they like him or not. They need to perform whether they like him or not. They cannot get him fired by tanking. That’s what an owner (or GM) can do for the HC. Maybe - maybe - some implied ultimatums can be said to Gase privately one on one, but even if it was we wouldn’t know about it, so the same people would still be complaining about the FO’s purported complacency. 

Some of you are (or post like you are) oblivious to the concept of the unintended consequences of things people say and do. Give a group of players - the ones who like the Club Med types of camps and practices - the ability to get the coach fired. Great call.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Unless you think the Jets are a playoff team right now you can give no mandate.  Yankees are a World Series contender, there is no question about that.  If ownership wanted to give Boone a mandate, whatever.  But Gase?

You can't spend the offseason screaming about how untalented this team is and how far the Jets have to go just to get back to respectability and then issue a playoff mandate.  It makes no sense.  If the playoffs aren't your expectation then you can't be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs.

SAR I

If you think the offense has enough talent to be top 16 if the head coach is an offensive genius (it does), then you absolutely have the right to tell him the offense can't be a sh*t show once again or he's gone.  It's not that difficult.

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gase didn't give the fans a mandate after they humiliated him with airplanes and newspaper hit pieces.  He just put his head down, did his job, and rallied the team.

And can you name a single time in team history that a mandate actually worked?  (Hint: Never)

Christopher Johnson is building something here and it began with fixing a broken Ryan/Bowles culture and now moves into the stage where Douglas and Gase are given time to take a young team, mold it in their image, add pieces, get experience, and eventually make a run a-la the Eagles.  Patience is in the air.  Not knee-jerk firings to appease ignorant fans, especially those who couldn't be bothered to show up when we were playing top teams like the Raiders, Steelers, Dolphins, and Giants enroute to a 6-2 finish.  The days of Johnson appeasing the imaginary loyal Jets fan who just likes to hear himself whine and can't be bothered to spend $30 on a Stubhub ticket is over.  Thank God.

SAR I

Haha I was being sarcastic and agree but that buffalo loss week 1 was brutal and performance against AFCE in general has to improve 

• Upvote 2

Playoffs is pie in the sky stuff for this season.  Everything would have to break right.  

8-8 with progress and feel that the team is 2-3 players away from title contention, Gase stays.

8-8 w/ late season collapse, Gase should be gone.

Anything below 8-8, Gase should be gone.  To make a statement and give a live audition, as soon as they get their 9th loss, i'd sh*t can Gase and make Williams the interim coach.  

This fabricated binary choice -  that you're either in favor of the owner publicly issuing an ultimatum, or you're a complacent fan who is perfectly fine with losing - is simply ridiculous.

I don't even have such confidence in Gase, don't particularly like him, and didn't from the time he was even a candidate for the job. But this nonsensical line of thinking presumes there's a demonstrable cause-and-effect of a wimpy owner publicly handing down a hardass ultimatum to the head coach.

If the team looks like garbage, or looks only marginally better despite the improved roster (never mind another year in the same system for those returning), and it's clear there are other issues stemming from his coaching oversight, then absolutely fire him after the season. But a preseason public display of a lack of FO confidence in the HC - which is precisely what is implied by such an ultimatum - is as useless as it is counterproductive. It solves nothing, means nothing (since the owner can always go back on it by rationalizing hardships), and potentially creates a locker room leverage problem that wasn't there before.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

Playoffs is pie in the sky stuff for this season.  Everything would have to break right.  

8-8 with progress and feel that the team is 2-3 players away from title contention, Gase stays.

8-8 w/ late season collapse, Gase should be gone.

Anything below 8-8, Gase should be gone.  To make a statement and give a live audition, as soon as they get their 9th loss, i'd sh*t can Gase and make Williams the interim coach.  

14 teams make the playoffs - almost half of the league.  I think this team should absolutely expect to get into the playoffs.  It’s very far from Pie In The Sky.  

This team not going to the playoffs will absolutely be on Gase.  

• Thumb Down 2

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

If you think the offense has enough talent to be top 16 if the head coach is an offensive genius (it does), then you absolutely have the right to tell him the offense can't be a sh*t show once again or he's gone.  It's not that difficult.

Run the 2019 numbers for the last 8 games thanks.

SAR I

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

This is correct!

His offense last year (and prior two years with the Fish) haven’t just been bad they’ve been bottom of the league bad - or, a better way to describe it...using your words...

A sh*t show.

If they, once again, don’t even resemble a quality NFL offense he needs to go.

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Run the 2019 numbers for the last 8 games thanks.

SAR I

Okay, now I'll cherry pick.

Run the numbers from when Gase had his hand-picked QB that he brought with him from Miami when Darnold missed time with mono.  Thanks.

AFJF

On 5/1/2020 at 8:59 AM, playtowinthegame said:

Why?

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2020 at 3:14 PM, Warfish said:

And if, like last year, we finish at or near dead last in the major offensive metrics?

You keep asking this same thing over and over again.

If we finish in one of the 27 available spots above the bottom 5 you keep thinking we will or can finish in, is he safe?  

Thats it?

This is one of the most ridiculous inane threads I have ever read.  The Jets are rebuilding. The roster needs almost complete revamping.  The GM has had one - count em - one offseason of free agency and one draft.  The team was crushed by injuries last season and the QB ( who does not need a new coach and new system for the 3rd time in 4 seasons) missed a significant number of games.  The Jets have a completely rebuilt OL that has not played a down together in practice let alone a game.  The WR corps is new.  There likely won't be any OTA's and a timely start to training camp is questionable at best.  Any some idiot beat writer wants to put a playoff mandate on this team under these circumstances?    Mandates are absurd to begin with, but this is just stupid. Ummm NFW.  Let's let the season play out (if there is one)

• Upvote 3

Hopefully Gase works out, but with our schedule 6-10 looks allot more likely than 10-6. Either way, I don't think we could have made a better hire than Adam Gase. If for nothing else, he got rid of Macc and he brought in Douglas. Nobody out there would have got that done.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:15 AM, Vader said:

How about an AFC East mandate.

Like, dont lose week one at home to buffalo with a 16-0 lead with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. Or your fired. Mosley or no Mosley. 

And really, other than to be cute, what would that do?

Unless you believe Gase really only cares at an 80% rate and really wasn't sure that a team needs to win. 

And really, firing a HC after a week one loss makes sense on so many levels that he would be scared to lose and really try to avoid that loss more than before a dumb mandate

34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The best thing CJ can do for the Jets is stay in his office, look at naked pics of his girl friend, and let Douglas run the team with no interference.  

And really there are no indications that he interferes with any aspect of the team, mingles with players (who like him) and talk to the press from time to time.  

Interestingly, the biggest complaint about CJ is he didnt interfere enough, or quickly enough when it came to Macc's firing. 

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And really, other than to be cute, what would that do?

Unless you believe Gase really only cares at an 80% rate and really wasn't sure that a team needs to win. 

And really, firing a HC after a week one loss makes sense on so many levels that he would be scared to lose and really try to avoid that loss more than before a dumb mandate

Sarcasm alert ? 

the point was... beat teams in ur own division and don’t choke big leads before any talk of playoffs

54 minutes ago, Vader said:

Sarcasm alert ? 

the point was... beat teams in ur own division and don’t choke big leads before any talk of playoffs

No, the point was it should be a mandate.  

While I'm all for accountability, thinking we lost due to a lack of accountability is what I was referring to

On 4/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, Warfish said:

Why are Jets fans seemingly so averse these days to accountability and a demand for results?

We do WANT a playoff team in 2020, don't we? 

It's like Darnold and Gase are the Untouchables, for whom no pressure is ever needed nor desired according to many Jets Fans.

I honestly don't get it.

Because its blowing wind out of your ass at this point.  

For one, hes not getting fired, unless there's a total break down, the team quits, he snaps a twig like melt downs.  

Secondly this team still isnt all that talented.  Talented enough to be in games at this point, not sure how good though.  As long as they improve their play, are in games and are entertaining and continue to move forward what there point of a payoff or bust mandate?

And of course we all want to make the playoffs, who wouldnt?  But a mandate isnt going to change a thing

So the whole threat thing is meaningless. 

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

7 teams make the playoffs in the conference now. The best QB in the division is Josh Allen.

Is it really that outlandish to think Gase should make the playoffs this year?

Not at all. The AFC East is wide open in 2020. If the Jets miss the playoffs next year it's likely because their offense is still a failure.

• Upvote 1