Mehta at it agin - re: Marcus Maye now

He just loves taking pot shots at Gase. Keyboard commando lol

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports coach Adam Gase wanted the Jets to trade S Marucs Maye prior to the start of last season.

Mehta reports Gase was later "convinced" to keep Maye, but GM Joe Douglas has also been fielding offers for Maye for the better part of a year. The 27-year-old is headed into the final year of his rookie deal and isn't believed to be in the team's long-term plans, as the Jets prefer to extend Jamal Adams and just took S Ashtyn Davis in the third round of April's draft. Maye isn't the level of player Adams is, but he's a solid safety and graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 25 safety last year. Maye has just four career interceptions and two forced fumbles to go with 0.5 sacks. He simply hasn't been a playmaker on the football.

Jul 6, 2020, 12:40 PM ET

If Mehta were to be believed... 

Who exactly DOES Gase like? It defies logic that Gase hates every player and every player seems to hate Gase. 

I bet that Manish has a team poster in his office and just throws darts at it to pick the player he features in each article. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Well said. 

I can't speak for others, but my own pessism isn't fueled by his (I don't give a fck) attidude, which i actually appreciate - but more from the "he's very good at his job" angle...

• Why was TEN able to get so much more mileage out of Tannehill?
  • Why was DeVante Parker an after thought, until post Gase?
  • Why was K. Drake misused
  • Why did offense consistently underperform whilst being coached by a "guru"
  • why does he suck at his job?

thats more of my concern, not necessarily his GM'ing philosophy

valid point...    the OC part of his game is highly suspect.

Parker was hurt all the time ....starting 4,8,12 and 7 games prior to 14 last yeat.

Tannehill had a great year...  is it topping the NFL in completions above expected gonna happen repeatedly? jury out. i say no.

Drake was used very similarly hislast 2 yrs in Miami...  he just produced more TDs last yr.

But, yeah, i still think your point has validity...  seems his HC is ok, but his OC is meh....

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Who exactly DOES Gase like? It defies logic that Gase hates every player and every player seems to hate Gase. 

I bet that Manish has a team poster in his office and just throws darts at it to pick the player he features in each article. 

Seems like he likes coachable guys willing to buy into a team concept.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Why do we hate Gase again?  None of this sounds bad to me.

because at one point last year they ran the wildcat 

the wild cat

hate is a strong word, Gase is supposed to be this genius offensive mind 

I get the team was injured. What kind of genius runs the wild cat in 2019? that package was stale 15 years ago  

so far Adam Gase has only proven to be a genius at finding gainful employment for Adam Gase 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

because at one point last year they ran the wildcat 

the wild cat

hate is a strong word, Gase is supposed to be this genius offensive mind 

I get the team was injured. What kind of genius runs the wild cat in 2019? that package was stale 15 years ago  

so far Adam Gase has only proven to be a genius at finding gainful employment for Adam Gase 

FDB4A78A-C5DB-40CC-8EEE-86C9C0F55B57.jpeg.06e168b58c14d4d15c7bc2e16968c2b1.jpeg

Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan, the head coaches of last year's Super Bowl teams

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

No big deal here.  It was never a good idea for the roster to contain BOTH Adams and Maye, who are both SS's.  I would be perfectly happy with neither being on the roster by 2021.  Hopefully we can get something for Maye prior to the trade deadline, but otherwise, I'll take the possible comp pick.

Thanks Macc.

Just now, Mogglez said:

FDB4A78A-C5DB-40CC-8EEE-86C9C0F55B57.jpeg.06e168b58c14d4d15c7bc2e16968c2b1.jpeg

Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan.

That first gif was a wishbone flexed into the pistol. Mahomes was always pretty much behind center. That's not wildcat. 

the wildcat flexes the QB out to the WR 

Shanahan passing with Pettis is a good example of using what's expected out of wildcat to his advantage

that's a smart coach

Adam Gase ran the wildcat unironically. I'm too lazy to look it up but if they passed out of it, they didn't complete anything. 

the rest of his offense is garbage as well. It can be summarized as crossing patterns to Crowder, Griffin up the seam. It's not exactly ground breaking.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Well said. 

I can't speak for others, but my own pessism isn't fueled by his (I don't give a fck) attidude, which i actually appreciate - but more from the "he's very good at his job" angle...

• Why was TEN able to get so much more mileage out of Tannehill?
  • Why was DeVante Parker an after thought, until post Gase?
  • Why was K. Drake misused
  • Why did offense consistently underperform whilst being coached by a "guru"
  • why does he suck at his job?

thats more of my concern, not necessarily his GM'ing philosophy

I get it.  I'm not sold on the guy entirely myself, but Maccagnan did no one trying to evaluate him any favors.  As for the other players:

Tannehill finally stayed healthy and had an excellent team around him.  Strong running game that suited his play-action abilities, very good young WRs, great defense.  Looked like the guy that last looked awesome under Gase.

Devante had (has?) issues with his own health. Not only that, rumor has it that he's a little bit of a malcontent with work ethic issues.  Either way, the biggest key in his breaking out was health.  However, now that he's been paid....it's gonna be interesting to see if he goes back to being what he was before getting the bag.

Kenyan Drake was misused even more by Brian Flores.  Honestly, I just have a sneaky feeling that the Arizona offense is very RB friendly, much like the Shanny offense.

Talent, injuries, never having his starting QB healthy, etc.

Look at the end of the day, there are definitely reasons to be concerned with Gase and how he operates things.  However, when you look deeper into things, there are legitimate reasons as to why things may have turned out the way that they did.  Lastly, I don't want Sam learning a third offense in three years.  I think it was very important, for the sake of continuity, to give Gase one more year to see what he can do with "his guys" and if he fails, well we can take a look at things at the end of the season and go from there. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That first gif was a wishbone flexed into the pistol. Mahomes was always pretty much behind center. That's not wildcat. 

the wildcat flexes the QB out to the WR 

Shanahan passing with Pettis is a good example of using what's expected out of wildcat to his advantage

that's a smart coach

Adam Gase ran the wildcat unironically. I'm too lazy to look it up but if they passed out of it, they didn't complete anything. 

the rest of his offense is garbage as well. It can be summarized as crossing patterns to Crowder, Griffin up the seam. It's not exactly ground breaking.  

07301A19-BFE0-49C5-8932-DD7D9BB668F6.thumb.jpeg.f99f1fd8c09fff147e62a2ab0ab57b25.jpeg

I guess this would be a better example of Reid being a fan of the wildcat.

You asked a question: who uses the wildcat in 2019?  I'm just answering the question man. As much as I'm not sold on Gase, I know there are other teams that run the Wildcat, and there's also a huge difference when you're running it for fun and when you're running it to cover up massive talent deficiencies.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

So, just so I'm getting this right...

Gase didn't want to give Le'Veon Bell a big contract and wanted the money spent elsewhere.

Gase hated Maccagnan and, ultimately, got him axed.

Gase fined Quincy Enunwa for not telling anyone that he wasn't showing up to his rehab day.

Gase doesn't want to pay a SS 20 million dollars per year.

Gase doesn't think Maye is very good (he's not *at least as a FS*)

I said this before he coached a game. He's a top 3 all time Jets coach for his contribution of getting rid of coffee boy for Joe Douglas. Might be top 2 now after watching Douglas work the draft like a real GM for the first time the millennium 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I get it.  I'm not sold on the guy entirely myself, but Maccagnan did no one trying to evaluate him any favors.  As for the other players:

Tannehill finally stayed healthy and had an excellent team around him.  Strong running game that suited his play-action abilities, very good young WRs, great defense.  Looked like the guy that last looked awesome under Gase.

Devante had (has?) issues with his own health. Not only that, rumor has it that he's a little bit of a malcontent with work ethic issues.  Either way, the biggest key in his breaking out was health.  However, now that he's been paid....it's gonna be interesting to see if he goes back to being what he was before getting the bag.

Kenyan Drake was misused even more by Brian Flores.  Honestly, I just have a sneaky feeling that the Arizona offense is very RB friendly, much like the Shanny offense.

Talent, injuries, never having his starting QB healthy, etc.

Look at the end of the day, there are definitely reasons to be concerned with Gase and how he operates things.  However, when you look deeper into things there are legitimate reasons as to why things may have turned out the way that they did.  Lastly, I don't want Sam learning a third offense in three years.  I think it was very important, for the sake of continuity, to give Gase one more year to see what he can do with "his guys" and if he fails, well we can take a look at things at the end of the season and go from there. 

Yea individually, these are all points of merit - but good coaches find ways to scheme for talent, and i'm just not sure he's shown us that yet. Outside of his star wars campaign with Peyton Manning, the returns on his offense have largely been underperforming.

So i look at our guys and you;d like to see some players bloom/flourish under his offense. Again, the asterisk that will be circled is our Oline... yea but how did he accomodate that? PIT had the worst Oline for a number of years and still found ways to win. No one "blew up" under Adam last year, and Sam deserves better. 

A lot hanging on this year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Would anyone be shocked, at all, that he might have wanted to trade/move Maye?  I wouldn't.

Nice to see the Cheerleaders out in full force tho.

Because Maybe has never been good, was awful last year to back it up?  Might not be totally his fault, hes a SS playing FS.  

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

So, just so I'm getting this right...

Gase didn't want to give Le'Veon Bell a big contract and wanted the money spent elsewhere.

Gase hated Maccagnan and, ultimately, got him axed.

Gase fined Quincy Enunwa for not telling anyone that he wasn't showing up to his rehab day.

Gase doesn't want to pay a SS 20 million dollars per year.

Gase doesn't think Maye is very good (he's not *at least as a FS*)

Sounds like Gase should be a GM then,  cause his coaching is terrible.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

I wouldn't be shocked if there are very few players who like Gase.

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yea individually, these are all points of merit - but good coaches find ways to scheme for talent, and i'm just not sure he's shown us that yet. Outside of his star wars campaign with Peyton Manning, the returns on his offense have largely been underperforming.

So i look at our guys and you;d like to see some players bloom/flourish under his offense. Again, the asterisk that will be circled is our Oline... yea but how did he accomodate that? PIT had the worst Oline for a number of years and still found ways to win. No one "blew up" under Adam last year, and Sam deserves better. 

A lot hanging on this year. 

was thinking about Manning/Gase...

he had 2 big bodied WRs with good hands who could run good routes...(Dt and Dex)

the bodies we have, save Crowder, at WR are big....

and lastly, Manning went to the SB with 4 different HCs. THAT kind of talent blossoms regardless of who the HC is.

16 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Sounds like Gase should be a GM then,  cause his coaching is terrible.

chuck noll was 12-30 until he got a bunch of HOFers on his team....

thisis not exactly a defense of Gase...    whom I have deep concerns about...

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Being liked by the players is bottom of the list of requirements for a coach.

A lot of Pats players probably think Belichick is an a-hole.

I don't care if Gass as likeable, if he wins games.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll take the word of just 2 future hall of famers (Manning and Gore) known for their relentless work ethics, over 20 journeyman crybabies when it comes to Gase's character/popularity in the locker room. 

Name a single player who has a higher profile than either of those two that's complained about Gase. 

In my experience employing a workforce, the people that work the hardest and arent malcontents tend to view their leadership favorably, while the low hanging fruit constantly complain and blame others for everything. 

• Post of the Week 3

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yep.   Teams that hate their coach and start out 1-7 always come back strong to finish the year.  But the truth is who cares if the players like him if they play for him.

Do you think NE fans are concerned that their players don’t like Belichick???

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I'll take the word of just 2 future hall of famers (Manning and Gore) known for their relentless work ethics, over 20 journeyman crybabies when it comes to Gase's character/popularity in the locker room. 

Name a single player who has a higher profile than either of those two that's complained about Gase. 

In my experience employing a workforce, the people that work the hardest and arent malcontents tend to view their leadership favorably, while the low hanging fruit constantly complain and blame others for everything. 

That's not even fair.  Gase made Peyton Manning the player he is so how can I counter-argue?

16 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Being liked by the players is bottom of the list of requirements for a coach.

A lot of Pats players probably think Belichick is an a-hole.

I don't care if Gass as likeable, if he wins games.

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

Yep.   Teams that hate their coach and start out 1-7 always come back strong to finish the year.  But the truth is who cares if the players like him if they play for him.

Do you think NE fans are concerned that their players don’t like Belichick???

Ftr, I wrote "I wouldn't be shocked if there are very few players who like Gase."  I never said anything about the team losing games as a result of it.  Though, admittedly, I'm not particularly impressed by what I've seen of Gase so far.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ftr, I wrote "I wouldn't be shocked if there are very few players who like Gase."  I never said anything about the team losing games as a result of it.  Though, admittedly, I'm not particularly impressed by what I've seen of Gase so far.

So what’s your point?  That a good coach should be loved by his players?
Ill judge Gase by how his team performs- what do you think we should judge him on?