Why didn’t Douglas get Sam any weapons?

Rhg1084

When you consider we played the Bills twice last season, and neither offensive performance was meaningfully better than last weeks, I'm not sure the backslide is all that dramatic.

The line is better, and guys are hurt.  We're also not playing the 6 worst defenses (one, the Dolphins, twice) in the NFL this season, so odds are they're going to look worse.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I like Douglas and I think he knows what he's doing. But this is an indictment on him. He's building up draft picks for the future but his inability to help Sam in the present is a mistake. He added lineman but he needed to give him receivers.

It's classic Jets. Take a position of weakness, add 1 guy to it, and then act like you've fixed it. The Jets should have spent two picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft on receivers, or signed an additional free agent. You have teams like the Rams and Saints who can never add enough receivers. I wonder why...they get it.

They did something similar in 2014 when our receiving corps was shot. They signed Eric Decker and acted like that was enough. He got hurt and we were left with nothing for a part of the season lol.

They do stuff like this all the time. 

Are they acting like they fixed it?

I think they're acknowledging they can't fix it in one season, and not adding bad contracts that will be a burden down the line.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I like Douglas and I think he knows what he's doing. But this is an indictment on him. He's building up draft picks for the future but his inability to help Sam in the present is a mistake. He added lineman but he needed to give him receivers.

It's classic Jets. Take a position of weakness, add 1 guy to it, and then act like you've fixed it. The Jets should have spent two picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft on receivers, or signed an additional free agent. You have teams like the Rams and Saints who can never add enough receivers. I wonder why...they get it.

They do stuff like this all the time. 

The entire draft should have been slanted towards the offensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 3

Just now, TeddEY said:

Are they acting like they fixed it?

I think they're acknowledging they can't fix it in one season, and not adding bad contracts that will be a burden down the line.

You don't have to add bad contracts to fix a position. You could add players on good contracts that produce to fix the position.

Not giving the young QB weapons to throw to is inexcusable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I think the Johnsons promote a "corporate" mentality.

Idzik's job was to cut contracts and build through the draft.   He was not a scout.  He bombed his drafts and did not spend on CB after trading Revis.  The team was just laughingly uncompetive and he was fired, thus learning that his job was also to put a competitive team on the field.  Rex Ryan did not help either.

Mac's job was to get the fans back and not bomb the first round picks.  So he spent in 2015 and almost made the playoffs.  They he picked players that would not bust in the first round, avoiding the Pryor. Milliner and Wilson problem.   But his terrible drafting, FA contracts and team building got him fired.

JD is building through the draft and avoiding giving out bad contracts.  But he also appears, like Idzik, to have no urgency to be competitive if it means tying up longer term FA money that could bust.   Sign Adams to a long term deal, or two first round picks in the future?  Take the picks.  Darnold's rookie contract and experience, and Gase, appear to be potential collateral damage for this 2021 and beyond strategy.  

• Upvote 1

my guess is that JD wants to build inside out, and bringing in overpaid skill position players is not the way to do that. you could argue that puts Sam into collateral damage territory...but JD did protect him better...and he did bring in 2 new receivers + return of Herndon. you cant coach against injuries.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, King P said:

It's hilarious considering most of you were all about the o-line and made it seem like receivers were irrelevant.

Now all of a sudden it's "why doesn't Sam have weapons???" ?

it is/was about the Line. Joe D used FA to get most of his Line acquisitions, and thats ok. Taking Becton also good and was perceived that way during draft. 

Problem was not addressing WR more. Should have drafted more than 1. I like Mims, I hope he turns out to be a great WR. WE still dropped the ball the rest of the offseason at the WR position. 

• Upvote 1

Because he wants to build through the draft and not give out a bunch of bad contracts like the Leveon Bell and CJ Mosley deals.

There's a reason why everyone was on one year deals. He's not commiting to anyone.

The only real question worth asking is "does Douglas really like/believe in Darnold." Because it sure feels like he punted on being competitive in 2020 while looking at the long term full well knowing this was a big sink or swim year for Darnold.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You don't have to add bad contracts to fix a position. You could add players on good contracts that produce to fix the position.

Not giving the young QB weapons to throw to is inexcusable. 

Most FA contracts are bad contracts.

They added Perimann and Mims, and my guess is, we'd have been looking WR in the 1st this year if we didn't need to replace the QB.  Two guys got hurt.  It happens.

this is a great question 

either 

1) what Manish said about the Johnson's pulling the purse strings tight this year is true 

2) JD is purposefully hanging Gase and Darnold out to dry, as he picked neither of them and has no interest in extending either 

it's that simple 

option 3) JD is dumb and doesn't understand football.  I don't think is a real choice. JD is smart. There's no way he realistically  believed Chris Hogan would be enough to win games. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Most FA contracts are bad contracts.

They added Perimann and Mims, and my guess is, we'd have been looking WR in the 1st this year if we didn't need to replace the QB.  Two guys got hurt.  It happens.

The recent draft was a deep receiver class. They could have drafted an additional receiver in the 3rd or 4th round. 

If you believe in your QB, which the Jets tell us they do, then signing a FA receiver who can play and help the QB out isn't a bad contract in my opinion. The QB needs help in order to develop. If he's your guy, get him help. 

If we're rebuilding and they think they have the QB in place, why did we need Pierre Desir at $5.5 million for 1 year to play CB for example? Go get Sam another receiver with that money. 

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

He made a “lateral” move I guess in replacing Robby with Perriman. Then was he really counting on a 2nd round rookie to come in and produce right away. Then he signs 100 year old Frank Gore. 

there were other guys available at running back and wide receiver he could’ve added. 

The league is laughing at us right now at the roster we’re trotting out there on Sunday.

1. Because Robby Anderson preferred to move on to Carolina rather than stay here.

2. Because Mims was a 1st round talent and should have been a contributor as a #2 WR, if healthy.  He is not.

3. Because he evaluated Perriman to be a potential #1 (like Sam is a potential Franchise QB), if healthy.  He is not.

4. Because he expected some of his depth guys to be available, if healthy.  At least one (Smyth) is not.

5. Because he took a view of "fill as many talent deficiencies as possible", not a "go hard on WR only" for this year. 

6. Because most of the top tier WR prospects were gone by the time he made his 2nd round pick, much less later picks.

7. Because he drafted Perine, who is expected to be a contributor/future #1, if healthy.  He is not (yet).

8. Because he wasn't spending big $$$ on short term Free Agents of end-of-career Veterans as previous Front Offices have done.

9. Because he is planning for multiple years, not just for 2020.

10. Who knows what else JD may think that we don't.  Maybe he thinks Sam sucks, and he is just biding his time this year to maximize draft capital so he can draft "his" QB next draft.  After all, Darnold is Macc's QB, not JD's.  No idea if this is true, but we (fans) can't ever really know for sure.

Yes, we are a laughingstock right now, no doubt.  Our roster is already devastated by injuries (the "Gase Curse" as I call it, given his career as a HC to-date), Sam played horribly in week one (he was a major part of the problem, not a helpless victim of the problems). 

It is what it is.  We'll see where it goes from here, and then we'll see what JD does in year 2 of his tenure here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Because he didn’t want to tie up cap room into next season when he knows he may be in the qb market again.  He wants the ability to have as clean a slate as possible if he starts by drafting Lawrence.

No chance his mindset was to have the worst team in the league so he can draft Lawrence. Im not buying that 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

No chance his mindset was to have the worst team in the league so he can draft Lawrence. Im not buying that 

No, he wanted as little commitments beyond this season as possible.  And he knew he was going to trade adams for a draft haul.  The whole thing is set up to spend next season and draft offense, with the one unknown being whether he drafts a qb.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, King P said:

Of course, and that's what I had said. But most people here were so gung ho about O-Line, it was like nothing else mattered 

I get it. They added 3 lineman in FA and then drafted Becton in the 1st which was the right move. You gotta protect the QB. In the 2nd JD made another good move by getting Sam a receiver. But after that we should have added another receiver, and not just because injuries are piling up now. Because our receiver was a legit problem and the draft class was considered deep with receivers. 

We should have either drafted an additional receiver early or signed another one in FA. Just my opinion. We didn't Perrine when we were paying Bell big money. That pick or the Davis pick (who I actually like to be fair) could have gone into getting another receiver in here for Sam.