Why didn’t Douglas get Sam any weapons?

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

It's one game - Mamma Mia! This offense will be much better than last year. Herndon will come alive and Mims has #1 receiver potential. Sam will also improve from last year.

lol jet fans LOVE to hype up talent to absurd levels

Ignoring last year- -Herndon's year two years ago was 56 catches and 4tds - a decent player -he is no stud by any means and not a game changer

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

so why are all of the teams in rebuilds bringing in stud wrs to help their young qbs when the qb makes the wr?

I mean why spend money on Hopkins if you are AZ when Murray could make any qb great

why did the bills bring in diggs?

why did the boys bring in cooper when they did

why did the browns bring in Landry and OBJ

teams that want their qbs to have the best chance to succeed bring in weapons to help him

To take it one step further -  If all that matters is getting a good QB, why do teams draft WRs at all? Why not sign a bunch of undrafted free agents after the draft? A good QB can make use out of any WR, right? Give any good QB Clyde Gates and he'll make it work . . . right?

This also begs the question: Why are WRs one of the highest paid positions in the sport? Why do we constantly hear about the WR position being a "premium position"? This is all kind of strange, right? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Pay them more than anyone else if offering. Give them 2 year deal 

When was the last time a FA signed here, upped their stock, and got paid a similar contract or more after leaving? Recently, I can only think of demario Davis and we traded for him. Crowder might get there too but that’s all I can really think of. It’s really not smart signing a short term deal here if you if you want to continue playing after the contract runs it’s course. Agents know this, players know this, that’s why we rarely get the guys without grossly over paying.

if we are offering the same or slightly more money than most of the other teams, history says it’s a better business decision to sign with the other team.

• Upvote 1

The offense has gone backwards. He could’ve added guys to make it somewhat competitive.

But then Gase might still be here in 2021!

Pay them more than anyone else if offering. Give them 2 year deal 

Right, the 'bad contracts' mentioned above.

After we didn't resign Anderson, it was obvious to me that we needed to either: 1) Draft a minimum of two WRs or 2) Trade for a competent veteran. 
We did neither - and this decision made the Mims injury disastrous. 
Nothing is disastrous this year except:
- not developing an OL
- giving away draft picks
- signing average players to above average contracts
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

so why are all of the teams in rebuilds bringing in stud wrs to help their young qbs when the qb makes the wr?

I mean why spend money on Hopkins if you are AZ when Murray could make any qb great

teams that want their qbs to have the best chance to succeed bring in weapons to help him

Why do lots of people do what they do? Because most people are kinda crappy at their jobs.

fwiw, I just messaged a guy who has an article this week in football outsider on Minshew.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2020/film-room-gardner-minshew

I don't know the guy...  I mentioend alotta folks here think I am a troll but that I am worried af that what we are seeing is just the same old same old that was explained in the tweets I (once again) posted earlier about Sams flaws.

Cos, for me, the opinions of nonbiased football nerds are worth more that alotta what goes on here...  will keep you posted...

You just named 3 teams that brought in WR help their young QB AFTER getting a good OL in place.

[OK well Buffalo is still middle of the pack but not for trying... volume of OL acquisitions has been there and they made a leap out of the bottom of the barrel, where we sat].

Maybe Douglas isn't sold on Sam?  Sam has a lot of great attributes but he also has some very flawed mechanics.  Learning mechanics at this level isn't easy.  Learning unlike teaching isn't linear.   Chemistry is hugely important but not as important as Sam developing good habits and having the mental makeup to make the right reads, see the entire field and pull the team forward.  Douglas and Gase both know that.  What we see in results because of great talent around him Douglas and Gase should be able to evaluate with or without the talent around him. 

Douglas is evaluating everything.  He has pocketed a ton of draft capital and cap space.  If Sam is going to be the long term face of this franchise he will also need to get paid.  I also wouldn't discount the drafting of Morgan.  I'm sure they really like him or they wouldn't have wasted that pick.   

Sam can prove himself without great talent around him.  Sam needs to adapt and get better.  

19 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

fwiw, I just messaged a guy who has an article this week in football outsider on Minshew.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2020/film-room-gardner-minshew

I don't know the guy...  I mentioend alotta folks here think I am a troll but that I am worried af that what we are seeing is just the same old same old that was explained in the tweets I (once again) posted earlier about Sams flaws.

Cos, for me, the opinions of nonbiased football nerds are worth more that alotta what goes on here...  will keep you posted...

It's obvious Sam has some really flawed mechanics.  That's not trolling.  I also agree coaching like teaching doesn't just depend on the coach or the teacher.  Some people don't get it ever.  Most people who do get it don't get it in a linear manner.  Learning and translating it into doing it takes a lot of reps.  

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Hell - they should’ve gave Sammy Watkins a contract. Or Nelson Agholor. Or Emmanuel Sanders.  Someone to give Sam a fighting chance out there on Sundays!

this is just sad

Douglas:  "Manny, would you like to play for Sean Payton and catch passes from Drew Brees?  Or would you like to come to New York, and...."

***Click***

I mean even look at the Bengals last night:

Joe Mixon, Boyd, AJ Green, John Ross, Tee Higgins 

that’s a nice set of skill players for Burrow to work with 

All of the players you listed here were players the Bengals drafted.  Douglas wants to build thru the draft.  He used a high pick on a LT and a WR.  

Its really not that complicated.

I listed a few guys above. Sammy Watkins, Emmanuel Sanders, Nelson Agholor all signed 1 or 2 year deals. They should’ve been here. They wouldn’t have been “bad” contracts. We have $30m we’re sitting on 

Agholor f**king blows.  He'd be worse than what we have right now.

10 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I think he doesn't like what he sees in Darnold and wants to draft his own QB.

How the hell can he evaluate  him when he is still running for his life and the WR get no separation, no running game, come on man. 

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He made a “lateral” move I guess in replacing Robby with Perriman. Then was he really counting on a 2nd round rookie to come in and produce right away. Then he signs 100 year old Frank Gore. 

there were other guys available at running back and wide receiver he could’ve added. 

The league is laughing at us right now at the roster we’re trotting out there on Sunday.

Did you see the MHop thread? He got him a nuclear deterrent. 

10 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I assume because there wasn't anyone he wanted here long term, and because you couldn't fix this whole mess in one season.

Goes out and gets two WR's in the off-season

Goes out and gets one of the top 10 receivers in the draft

Goes out and gets another RB

Goes out and rebuilds the O-line....literally.  5 new starters.

Hasn't done anything.

You can't explain what people don't want to see TeddEY.

• Upvote 1

I like Douglas and I think he knows what he's doing. But this is an indictment on him. He's building up draft picks for the future but his inability to help Sam in the present is a mistake. He added lineman but he needed to give him receivers.
It's classic Jets. Take a position of weakness, add 1 guy to it, and then act like you've fixed it. The Jets should have spent two picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft on receivers, or signed an additional free agent. You have teams like the Rams and Saints who can never add enough receivers. I wonder why...they get it.
They do stuff like this all the time. 
Only if you believe Sam is The Man.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Because the Jets has almost 50MM of cap space tied up to Enunwa, Bellamy, Mosley, Bell, and Henry Anderson?

Because the 2019 draft was a disaster?

The 2019 offseason set the rebuild back a few years. You can’t blame JD for that. 

We have among the most cap space in the league. Bad contracts are no excuse. 

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Losmeister said:

so do I need to go back to the mfing Perriman thread to call out all the people who slagged Robbo and fellated Breshad???

Nope.  I "slagged" Anderlols, and will continue to.  He's very very average.  He's a #2, not a #1.  He wasn't and isn't worth what he was asking for. 

And yet JD still offered as much as Carolina (reportedly), and he choose to walk.  Just like Kirk Cousins, we tried, he choose elsewhere.  HE CHOSE.

20 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He made a “lateral” move I guess in replacing Robby with Perriman. Then was he really counting on a 2nd round rookie to come in and produce right away. Then he signs 100 year old Frank Gore. 

there were other guys available at running back and wide receiver he could’ve added. 

The league is laughing at us right now at the roster we’re trotting out there on Sunday.

he improved the OL. That is what he did. Nobody knew Mims had rubber bands for hamstrings.