Raheem Mostert ran the fastest any human being has run on NFL turf in 5 years

jetstream23

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

just a general observation this team seems slower than most NFL teams 

there's no one to scare the other team on offense (post-Robby)

and there's no defender (LB or S) to catch the RBs before they get to 23 MPH

The LBers, especially the ILBs were abysmal yesterday.   Slow and un-athletic.  Ogletree runs like he has one fake leg.   

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Agreed totally. It just jumps out at you how slow this team is on both sides of the ball. 

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Many on this board were calling Mostert a JAG not too long ago. 

If he were here he'd be Trenton Cannon.

The environment, surrounding players and system around these players has a very big impact on their success.

Is it more likely that 53 players on the Jets all suck or that coaching has made all of our players look worse than they could be?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets have been drafting slugs for more than a decade. One thing I loved about Douglas's first draft class is that it's loaded with athletes.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If he were here he'd be Trenton Cannon.

The environment, surrounding players and system around these players has a very big impact on their success.

Is it more likely that 53 players on the Jets all suck or that coaching has made all of our players look worse than they could be?

He was here.  The Jets had him in 2016.  Before that he was with Gase in Miami.  After he left here he went to the Bears where Loggains was OC.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Jets have been drafting slugs for more than a decade. One thing I loved about Douglas's first draft class is that it's loaded with athletes

I think that Maccagnan would risk picks on athletes late in drafts or with FAs.  The Jets had most of the crazy top athletic guys that were UDFA and wandering around practice squads in at some point.  That includes Mostert, Anderson and guys like Terrell Sinkfield.  By 2017 he was burning picks on Derrick Jones and Nickerson.  Darron Lee was a top-level athlete, but sh*tty football player.  They were putting claims in on guys like Vander Laan, and ASJ.  They just seemed afraid to prioritize it at the top of the draft.  You know, where all the real damage is done.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes they were and sadder was he was a NY Jet at one time. 

He ran through our D like it was Swiss cheese

Other teams players always have a highlight reel against the NY Jets.

Hey how are you? Do you think Rutgers will really play this year? It sounds like there are 3-4 Big 10 teams that are really in bad shape with this thing.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

I thought Forrest Gump still held that record. My bad.?

Completely ridiculous premise.  They had him as a speedy kickoff returner in college (I.E. a sprinter), but later on in life he becomes this stellar long-distance runner?  Come on now.  Sprinters and long distance guys are built completely different.  Sprinters run out of gas very quickly.  They should have picked one and moved on. 

This is the biggest reason why Shawshank deserved the Oscar by a mile that year.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but 23 MPH is still insane.  Usain Bolt's top recorded speed was 27.8 MPH, which is the record human speed in all of history.

These two things don't line up. It's the fastest speed in 3 or 5 years (depending on source) and both of those are faster than the fastest human speed record.. in football pads..

Sounds like next gen stats is taking some very specific slice of something here..

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Sounds fishy. He just recorded the fastest speed in human history wearing football pads? 

No.  Mostert hit 23 MPH.  Bolt hit 27.8 MPH. 

I was saying 23 MPH is amazing and giving a point of reference to show why.  Your point about him being in pads makes it even crazier.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

not really...   he just never stopped is all

That's what made him a stellar long distance runner in the movie.  The aerobic ability to run as long and as far as he does while barely ever stopping.  

You don't spend the early part of your life as a great sprinter (I.E. an SEC kickoff rerturner) only to become a great long distance runner later on.  It doesn't work like that.  Great sprinters are big, muscular, and lack stamina.  Great long distance runners are skinny, lightweight, and have endless stamina.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

to me means, winning long distance RACES

He literally ran across the entire country, several times, over the course of mere months per trip/a couple of years total.  It doesn't get more Cross Country than that.  I'm sure he'd win plenty of races if they were timing him, given that information. 

The point is he shouldn't have had the stamina to accomplish anything close to that.  You can't be a fast sprinter AND run for long distances.  Those are diametrically opposed abilities.  Athletes are capable of only one or the other.  You can't outrun a car/a bunch of college football players AND run for miles and miles without stopping.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He literally ran across the entire country, several times, over the course of mere months per trip/a couple of years total.  It doesn't get more Cross Country than that.  I'm sure he'd win plenty of races if they were timing him, given that information. 

The point is he shouldn't have had the stamina to accomplish anything close to that.  You can't be a fast sprinter AND run for long distances.  Those are diametrically opposed abilities.  Athletes are capable of only one or the other.

it was a metaphor for a highly abnormal/unhealthy mental state...  "the man who couldnt stop running" whcih is why he was still running once the hype had stopped and there were no crowds/tv people following him

a movie metaphor.