Robbie

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you may not like him as a person Warfish but he's balling out incredible right now and it's fair to wish the Jets had some of that sirr purr magic right now 

Yes, he'd doing very well in Carolina so far, exceeding my expectations for him there, no question.

Yes, it's fair for us to wish "we had some magic" at WR.

No, it's not accurate to say "if we kept him, and paid him, we'd have that magic now".

Pretty simple, really.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yes, he'd doing very well in Carolina so far, exceeding my expectations for him there, no question.

Yes, it's fair for us to wish "we had some magic" at WR.

No, it's not accurate to say "if we kept him, and paid him, we'd have that magic now".

Pretty simple, really.

JD is pursuing an Idzik-ian strategy where rather than seek wins and losses, and entertainment, he strives to make sure that each of his contracts is positive value.  So he is essentially playing a game of trying to underpay all the time, which is hard in the NFL when you usually have to overpay for FAs.  JD wins by underpaying, not by actually winning football games.

Draft picks are the best for that.  2nd contracts, the worst.  So we trade stars players for draft picks.

From what I heard, JD was willing to pay Robby $10mm/year, but he wanted options for years 3 and 4 at the same price, in case Robby became a star.  Then he underpays (which means Robby is underpaid).  Robby declined.  

But this strategy is not consistent with a goal of winning in 2020, or giving Darnold weapons to see what he is made of.  JD did make investments to protect Darnold.  When those investments get hurt, and Darnold still holds onto the ball too long, that does not work.

All things considered, this is a writeoff year for the Jets and JD.  To me, it is all about 2021 and 2022 for JD.  The Jets have to be a good, competitive team in at least 2022.  If not JD will be finding a new job. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Isn't that term innately racist? I am actually asking earnestly.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I think that question is beyond the scope of JN tbqh.  

Per Wikipedia:  Great White Hope is a nickname or epithet originally applied to boxers who were billed as the hope of the white race to beat black heavyweight world boxing champion Jack Johnson, and to later white contenders who challenged against black champions.

It can (and often is) used as an epithet.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Prodigal Syndicate said:

But according to this advanced analytic some nerd that doesn't actually watch games came up with, perriman is actually a far better receiver.

The trainers tent is at least 20 yards from the nearest DB

On 9/23/2020 at 7:04 AM, Doggin94it said:

Anderson is running as Carolina's number two WR (behind DJ Moore) and number 3 offensive weapon. That's a good setup for him to succeed. Being the number 1 WR and focus of the passing game isn't a role he's suited for and anyone who thinks he'd be putting up the same numbers here is delusional

Wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I liked Robby as a Jet, but through half a season, there’s been a lot of ink spilled for a guy with as many TDs as Pierre Desir and less than Braxton Berrios.

He's finally in a real offense. Not that Teddy is so good but Joe Brady is a great OC and should be our next head coach. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's finally in a real offense. Not that Teddy is so good but Joe Brady is a great OC and should be our next head coach. 

So... Better QB... Better offense... Still only one TD in half a season?

Again, I liked Robby as a Jet.  But, maybe a couple of games was too soon to talk about what a travesty it was that he's gone.  He's yet to repeat his week 1 performance.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Again, I liked Robby as a Jet.  But, maybe a couple of games was too soon to talk about what a travesty it was that he's gone.  He's yet to repeat his week 1 performance.

FWIW...in this sh*t offfense, Berrios has 2.?

48 yards against the 30th ranked D in the NFL.  There is tape on Matt Rhule and the Carolina O.  Let's see how teams adjust and the results in the second half.  The NFL is littered with guys who looked good early before teams adjusted.  Carolina looked like dog sh*t last night at home on a short week against a terrible D.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

48 yards against the 30th ranked D in the NFL.  There is tape on Matt Rhule and the Carolina O.  Let's see how teams adjust and the results in the second half.  The NFL is littered with guys who looked good early before teams adjusted.  Carolina looked like dog sh*t last night at home on a short week against a terrible D.  

Lolz, Jets fans dream about having WRs that can have a season like Robby is having

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This.

Watching Bridgewater play he isn’t doing anything special.  He’s throwing to his first read on well designed plays (which is usually Robby).  

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Indeed, where will we ever find someone who can be top 40 in YPC and amass 1 TD in a half a season?

Robby is second in the nfl in receiving yards with a just ok QB throwing to him.  But yeah continue to nitpick I heard his ypc onWR reverses is only 3.8 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't think anyone thinks Robby is an elite WR regardless of his numbers this year. He's just doing better in Carolina. But like I said, I think that is just a product of being a good offensive system. 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Robby is second in the nfl in receiving yards with a just ok QB throwing to him.  But yeah continue to nitpick I heard his ypc onWR reverses is only 3.8 

2nd in receiving yards having played one or two more game than everyone else.  YPG he's outside top 10, and trending downwards.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't think anyone thinks Robby is an elite WR regardless of his numbers this year. He's just doing better in Carolina. But like I said, I think that is just a product of being a good offensive system. 

I 100% agree.

My point, which I imagined was obvious, is that losing him wasn't some great tragedy.  We didn't let Randy Moss go.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So Sam sucks because his weaponz suck.

And his weaponz suck because Sam sucks.

fail merry go round GIF

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This.

Watching Bridgewater play he isn’t doing anything special.  He’s throwing to his first read on well designed plays (which is usually Robby).  

Robbie is special because he's a nice 2nd passing option but Bridgewater is nothing special.  TB is currently 3rd in Completion percentage, 2nd in yards, and 8th in yards per attempt.   You're half right Teddy is a better QB than Robbie is a WR.  Neither one is elite and once their is more tape on Carolina both of their stats will revert to their norm.  

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

2nd in receiving yards having played one more game than everyone else.  YPG he's outside top 10, and trending downwards.

Still seems to be a bit more than "nothing more than a WR3" which I consistently read on here.  It's also interesting that you have mentioned his low ypc and tds since those are the things he was generally perceived as good at when he left.  It's also that he went somewhere to play with another chicken armed QB, but 86 ypg and a 75% catch rate would be celebrated around here like the second coming.  

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Still seems to be a bit more than "nothing more than a WR3" which I consistently read on here.  It's also interesting that you have mentioned his low ypc and tds since those are the things he was generally perceived as good at when he left.  It's also that he went somewhere to play with another chicken armed QB, but 86ypg and a 75% catch rate would be celebrated around here like the second coming.  

I never thought he was "nothing more than a WR3," so I couldn't speak to that.  I do know some people underrated him.  But, many here are also making it out to be a colossal mistake that we didn't resign him.

It's also pretty universally agreed that he wouldn't be doing as well here because either Darnold sucks, Gase Sucks, or some combination of the two.

Again, I'd still be happy to have Anderson on the roster.  I only brought it up because people ARE acting like he's the second coming now that he's gone, and that simply doesn't hold up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I never thought he was "nothing more than a WR3," so I couldn't speak to that.  I do know some people underrated him.  But, many here are also making it out to be a colossal mistake that we didn't resign him.

It's also pretty universally agreed that he wouldn't be doing as well here because either Darnold sucks, Gase Sucks, or some combination of the two.

Again, I'd still be happy to have Anderson on the roster.  I only brought it up because people ARE acting like he's, the second coming now that he's gone, and that simply doesn't hold up.

Shocking that on this message board people tend to swing to extremes.  I think the reason that this gets pumped is that we all saw the WR room as a disaster.  It was bad and many of us saw it as downgraded.  People were pushing Perriman as a budding star that would flourish here.  The utter failure at the position has caused all the Anderson supporters to crow.  I think they have a right, up to a point.

I say the above as Jeff Smith's biggest fan and someone that liked the idea of signing Perriman for potential.