James Morgan Will Never Be The Backup QB This Season

jetsrule128

53 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't know why you're already calling James Morgan a JAG. Was there something I missed about his college career that was that bad?

Yes. He is a JAG. He had a 5 year college career with a pathetic career completion percentage within the 50's (he was worthy of a 7th round pick or undrafted, at best). 

Please name and list me 5 NFL QB's who've ever had a 5 year NCAA career with a completion percentage within the 50s who ever went onto becoming a decent NFL QB and I'd probably call you a liar (because you won't be able to find me one, let alone 5).

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

So are we really trusting Gase to provide feedback on how good players can be? This is the same guy that limited Robby’s play, calls Herndon a unicorn but doesn’t feature him in the offense and has a 40 year old RB taking reps from a clearly capable rookie RB.

The coaching staff knows it’s gone. We already saw Gregg trying to pin the issues on Gase. It won’t be too long before the coaching staff starts to pin it on the front office. They’re all trying to save face.

At this point i wouldn’t believe a word gase says.  Nothing.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yes. He is a JAG. He had a 5 year college career with a pathetic career completion percentage within the 50's (he was worthy of a 7th round pick or undrafted, at best). 

Please name and list me 5 NFL QB's who've ever had a 5 year NCAA career with a completion percentage within the 50s who ever went onto becoming a decent NFL QB and I'd probably call you a liar (because you won't be able to find me one, let alone 5).

I don't believe you, post some more stats, stats boy.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That’s a pretty specific criteria. Might as well say “that has blue eyes and red pubes”

With that said, are there any that had success with 4 years? Going to guess yes. 

Not saying Morgan will be anything though. 

14 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well, no sh*t!

He's a jag prospect who had a 5 year NCAA career with a completion percentage within the 50s on a joke FIU football program; JD completely wasted a 4th round pick on this worthless JAG prospect. 

Sam Darnold needed offensive weapons and O-Lineman prospects not "James Morgan" come the 4th round. 

LOL, you faultfinders are really going to gripe about a 4th round pick ad infinitem? 

• Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, JiF said:

I said this other day in a joking manner but I think it's real.  I think he likes being a villain.  I think he likes negative attention.  He seems to get off on it and he doesnt care because he's rich bitch! 

I don't know if he enjoys being a loser but he's definitely in over his head...

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I can name you 5 Super Bowl winning QBs that had career college completion percentages in the 50's:

Brett Favre

Joe Namath

Bob Griese

Doug Williams

Jim Plunkett

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Josh Allen had basically a flat 56% completion percentage in his two years of starting, lol, and he's now starting to convert previous hard-line doubters like me.

In James Morgan's best year in 2018 he had a 65% completion percentage.

But I'm neither a stat-geek, nor a college football enthusiast, so I'd rather just wait and see what Morgan does before calling him a JAG. Perhaps you're right, though. We'll see.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Josh Allen had basically a flat 56% completion percentage in his two years of starting, lol, and he's now starting to convert previous hard-line doubters like me.

But I'm neither a stat-geek, nor a college football enthusiast, so I'd rather just wait and see what Morgan does before calling him a JAG. Perhaps you're right, though. We'll see.

The boiler plate reactions of some based on players they know nothing about, and then hard lining those opinions is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can name you 5 Super Bowl winning QBs that had career college completion percentages in the 50's:

Brett Favre = 4 years. 

Joe Namath = 3 years. 

Bob Griese = 3 years. 

Doug William = 1 year. 

Jim Plunkett= 3 years.

Most QBs coming out had completion percentages within the 50s way back when because the game was a different game back then.

But you still failed to answer the question. None of those QBs listed above had 5 year college careers. 

Joe Burrow had a 5 year college career however his career completion percentage was damn near 70% (big difference from 50's). 

The question was to name me 5 NFL QBs who've had 5 year NCAA careers with completion percentages within the 50s...

And you completely failed to do so. 

(Wrong. Try again).

16 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Lets not list his 2018 season of 65% but yet ignore his seasons of 56.1% (2016), 45.3% (2017) and 58.0% (2019). 

Josh Allen had a 3 year career (not a 5th year JAG). 

I'm still waiting on a 5th year NCAA QB with a completion percentage within the 50's....

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Most QBs coming out had completion percentages within the 50s way back when because the game was a different game back then.

But you still failed to answer the question. None of those QBs listed above had 5 year college careers. 

Joe Burrow had a 5 year college career however his career completion percentage was damn near 70% (big difference from 50's). 

The question was to name me 5 NFL QBs who've had 5 year NCAA careers with completion percentages within the 50s...

(Wrong. Try again).

First, you said ever. So, I took ever as meaning ever. Don't move the goalposts now.

Second, I could not care less if a player played in college for 3, 4 or 5 years. So, James Morgan got redshirted. I did not follow his career. I don't know if it was a medical redshirt, or not. Does not make much difference.

Third, you prance around this board acting like a pompous ass at times, acting as if your opinion is so much more important than others.

So, no, I won't try again.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

We’re 0-9. In a battle for a super elite QB prospect. There are no fans in the stadium. Jax is starting a 6th round no namer. And we continue to throw Flacco out there. Someone explain to me how this makes any ****1n sense.

IR Darnold and roll with Morgan.  

Exactly however both JD and even Gase are realizing that he's an absolute JAG and was a crap pick to begin with; and therefore he can't even make it off the practice field. 

He'll become out right released before ever sniffing an NFL playing field (wasted pick). 

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

First, you said ever. So, I took ever as meaning ever. Don't move the goalposts now.

Moving the goalposts? Did you not comprehend my question man?

"Please name and list me 5 NFL QB's who've ever had a 5 year NCAA career with a completion percentage within the 50s who ever went onto becoming a decent NFL QB"

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Exactly however both JD and even Gase are realizing that he's an absolute JAG and was a crap pick to begin with; and therefore he can't even make it off the practice field. 

He'll become out right released before ever sniffing an NFL playing field (wasted pick). 

If they can use Morgan to essentially land Lawrence - it wasn’t a wasted pick. It was absolutely brilliant lol. 

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Morgan is almost 24 years old, been practicing all season, was drafted in the 4th round, is playing on a team that is 0-9 with a 35 year old back up QB getting the start, and he still can’t get on the field?   He must be just pathetic in practice because other than that I can’t see why he isn’t playing.  

Bingo, there's a reason why they say Morgan is not ready...that's wholly based on the progress or lack of progress coaches are seeing are seeing from Morgan under center operating Gase's offense in practice. 

He played four years of college ball, he's twenty four years old and he's not ready to to back up after half a season of regular season football.

8 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

How in the hell did this guy get hired if this presser is an example of his interviewee skills?????

Watch this one. He looks absolutely miserable (he looks like a crack head). 

I guess the NFL doesn't drug test their coaches because after his first ever press conference he should have been tested for drugs due to his eyes alone looked like a person on coke/crack/meth or something else seriously dangerous. 

Look, I know players don’t tank but not playing Morgan for the last 6-7 weeks is tantamount to malfeasance. 

We have a face of the NFL type prospect in our sights, with only 7 games to go. It’s Covid times, no fans at MetLife. I won’t speak for other Jets fans but I could care less about losing the next 7 games. 

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Look, I know players don’t tank but not playing Morgan for the last 6-7 weeks is tantamount to malfeasance. 

We have a face of the NFL type prospect in our sights, with only 7 games to go. It’s Covid times, no fans at MetLife. I won’t speak for other Jets fans but I could care less about losing the next 7 games. 

Chances are we'll go 0-16 regardless of who's at QB but playing an absolute JAG in Morgan who can't even make it off the practice field would become devastating meaning highly destructive and/or damaging to the potential/progression of A+ prospects such as Mims & Becton. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Quick research, Jake Locker, drafted 8th overall, was a 5th year senior and had career percentage completed of 54%.

And, just to show you how stupid the blanket statement you made is, Tom Brady, 5 years, 61% career completion.

Only fools make blanket statements and espouse them to be rock solid analysis.

45 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

(Wrong. Try again).

Morgan only played 4 years genius, he red shirted his freshman year, try again.

15 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. JD taking Morgan during the 4th is way worse than Macc taking Hack during the 2nd. 

It wasn't worse.  It wasn't better.  both were just atrocious mistakes that the Jets fandom lamented almost immediately.  If I'm given two sh*t sandwiches, I'm not going to judge one as better than the other because one roll had poppyseeds and the other was rye.  They're both going to be sh*t sandwiches, regardless.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Quick research, Jake Locker, drafted 8th overall, was a 5th year senior and had career percentage completed of 54%.

And, just to show you how stupid the blanket statement you made is, Tom Brady, 5 years, 61% career completion.

Only fools make blanket statements and espouse them to be rock solid analysis.

And Jake Locker was absolute dog crap. 

That's 1. But can you name me 4 more? 

And Tom Brady doesn't meet my qualifications to the question (he wasn't within the 50s ala 61%). 

• Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Morgan only played 4 years genius, he red shirted his freshman year, try again.

Nope.

Redshirt year + 4 years still ='s a 5 year NCAA career

(and just because he couldn't become the first true Freshman to win a National Championship Game dating back to 1985 until Trevor Lawrence doesn't erase his 1 year of Redshirting). 

1 + 4 = 5. 

15 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. JD taking Morgan during the 4th is way worse than Macc taking Hack during the 2nd. 

At least Macc had an excuse for reaching on Hack ala we were a Franchise without a Franchise QB and at least Macc kicked the tires and TRIED to find one. Even though it was a failed pick the effort was there. 

With JD? We had a potential Franchise QB who was obviously struggling without offensive weapons and instead of trying to help Sam he drafted an awful 4th round QB prospect and a 6th round joke or a PUNTER. 

JD taking a jag 4th round QB with Sam's NFL life on the line can never be forgiven. 

Just when I think there is a bottom to your infinite well of wisdom you make another post and new depths are found...

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Watch this one. He looks absolutely miserable (he looks like a crack head). 

I guess the NFL doesn't drug test their coaches because after his first ever press conference he should have been tested for drugs due to his eyes alone looked like a person on coke/crack/meth or something else seriously dangerous. 

Instead of football genius maybe CJ meant football savant (syndrome) because Gase sorta looks like he might be on the spectrum.   

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Lets not list his 2018 season of 65% but yet ignore his seasons of 56.1% (2016), 45.3% (2017) and 58.0% (2019). 

Josh Allen had a 3 year career (not a 5th year JAG). 

I'm still waiting on a 5th year NCAA QB with a completion percentage within the 50's....

I'm really not here to defend James Morgan's career, since I had never even heard of him before his name was called on draft day, and I'm not about to pretend that I know how to evaluate college talent. I'm simply saying, "let's just wait and see, shall we?"

And yeah, I'm not doing any homework for you, lol.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The reason for drafting Morgan was to groom him to be the backup the next 3 years (not this year). That is why they brought in Flacco. 

The hope is that Morgan is ready to be a competent backup next year and the following 2 years at a price tag of 1 million a year versus going out and paying Tyrod Taylor 6 million a year, Chase Daniel 5 million a year, Nick Foles (yeah, he sucks despite lucking into a Super Bowl) 8 million a year etc..

Would I draft capital on a WR or OL, of course, but I remember a few weeks ago people on this board calling Mims a bust because he couldn't get into games. Now that they finally see him, they seem pretty happy with him. Maybe we should wait until the kid actually plays a snap before calling his career a totally failure. 

Seriously, anyone who thought Mims was a bust is an idiot. Sorry no better way to say it.  Or they didn't see him play in college.  This kid is going to be very good as he gets comfortable.  Most Jets thought Mims would go much higher so it is not even a comparison with Morgan.  The fact is if JD believed in Sam Darnold he would have gotten him more weapons or offensive line help rather than draft his possible replacement.  Especially considering it was one of the best and deepest wr class in recent memory.  He dropped the ball there.  It happens, nobody's perfect, but lets acknowledge he sort of outsmarted himself here. 

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Seriously, anyone who thought Mims was a bust is an idiot. Sorry no better way to say it.  Or they didn't see him play in college.  This kid is going to be very good as he gets comfortable.  Most Jets thought Mims would go much higher so it is not even a comparison with Morgan.  The fact is if JD believed in Sam Darnold he would have gotten him more weapons or offensive line help rather than draft his possible replacement.  Especially considering it was one of the best and deepest wr class in recent memory.  He dropped the ball there.  It happens, nobody's perfect, but lets acknowledge he sort of outsmarted himself here. 

I agree 100pct, but I am still not going to call Morgan a bust before seeing him throw one time in an NFL or even pre-season game. Both can be true, that it was a mistake to take a QB with the 4th rd pick and Morgan can still turn out to be an asset. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2020 at 12:24 AM, Spoot-Face said:

I think the #1 metric for judging the James Morgan pick will be how useful he becomes to the organization, i.e. can he become a capable back-up and win a few games, or can he be flipped down the round for net positive gain of draft pick(s)/player(s)?

If he flames out a la "The Hacken", then I'll lament on the WR that could've been (and I would've liked one). And, even if it becomes clear it was a wasted pick, it's still leagues better than the Hackenberg pick, because it was a 4th rounder, not a 2nd.

You don’t draft player and in the 4th round to be back ups.   Trading for value? Who’s going to gI’ve Up anything for a backup QB. 

Back up QB’s are a dime a dozen.  

This was clearly a wasted pick and another move in a long line of JD blunders - it’s very worrisome