Mel Kiper: Jets should trade #2 pick and keep Darnold

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Good strategy if your draft plan is to get lucky later in the draft.

Watson and Mahomes were the 2nd and 3rd QBs taken.  One mistake was made that year at the 2 spot.  If others wanted QBs that year sitting at 10 and 12 would have left Houston and KC on the outside looking in.  

Plus a lot of criticisms you hear about Fields also were spoken about Watson and Mahomes. 

What successful QB came out of Clemson and Texas Tech before those two?

Plus the Jets have plenty of draft picks. It’s not a situation where they have to trade up like with Darnold. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The logic is sound on waiting.  But....

1) The Jets have a tremendous amount of resources already, they have enough to give TL enough to grow properly (if done well)

2) TL is that good of a prospect that you simply can't pass on.  If you feel so strongly about waiting then red-shirt him.  Go get a Fitz type for next year and use next years two 1's  to truly solidify the offense.

But you simply don't pass on Trevor Lawrence.  

That’s what makes it interesting. It’s not like we don’t already have extra premium picks. I’m not just concerned about the timeline of draft picks developing and the roster getting better. I’m concerned about installing a new system and starting from complete scratch as an 0-16 team which will take time to build. 

If the Jets get the first pick (as any team who gets it this year) will take Trevor Lawrence. There will be no trade. There are very few “can’t miss QBs”. Lawrence may suffer from “prospect fatigue” since most QBs in college aren’t very good/great the first three years. They usually have hot starts and fade like Hack and Rosen or have a great year before the draft like Burrow and Murray.

That being said if we get the second pick I think the Jets and other teams will listen to offers. If you are sold on Fields then make the pick. If one of the other QBs are right there and you get a couple of 1s and other picks. Go for it. This team needs a ton. If fields is 2a and 2b (Lance/Wilson/draft riser) with a smaller gap trade down and take the picks.

Lawrence without getting a leg broken/knee blown out or some serious legal issue will be the first pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m torn and I’m not a college guy. I just have a philosophy about how to build a roster in today’s environment. The window is so narrow for a QB on his rookie deal that it’s ideal to just plug in the rookie QB when the team is already rock solid and compete for 4-5years. The Jets did this with dirty Sanchez before there were cheaper rookie contracts.

If we have the #1 pick and a super prospect like Lawrence is there, it’s a tough decision but I agree with your logic slightly more. Plus we could stack our next 3 drafts with the draft haul as we build this team. FA is not an option in the modern NFL so building through the draft is a slow process unless you have a ton of top 100 picks each year. 

Every year you see a team go from garbage to gold.  With good coaching and an eye for acquiring talent IMO you have to reset the QB clock and roll the dice hoping you can hit paydirt on a QB.  2019 Bills and 49ers.  2020 Miami and Browns.  2021 Chargers and Bengals?  You need those QB rookie contracts to build the team around him. Then you hope like hell he evolves into a franchise QB that can keep you competitive while you lose and acquire new talent around him...

• Upvote 1

Who in the top 10 would want to trade up for a QB? How far back would we be going?

The teams currently set to pick 3-6 do not need a QB. So we’d be talking about dropping back to Atl, Car, Den and Wash in the 7-11 range. Which likely means we miss out on Sewell and Chase. And are those teams really going to jump that high for Fields? If we are not sold on Fields, best to just stay put and take Sewell.

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I’d trade the pick, because on the one hand, Darnold has been one of the worst starters in the league for three years running, but in the other hand, neither Fields nor Lawrence have looked good in a loss to Green Bay two years ago.

radford university GIF by NCAA March Madness

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

Then why bring him here and ruin that? Seems kinda mean Joe. I’m not going to mention Adam Gase is still the coach until he isn’t. Nope, not doing that. 

When the NY Jets are awarded the #1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft after finishing 0-16 and TL is on the board if they don't pick him this will be the biggest travesty in NY Jets history. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Why can’t the Jets draft Lawrence, and keep darnold? I never understand why the Jets can’t invest in more than 1 QB at a time. I was told I was wrong for wanting the Jets to keep teddy instead of trade him for a 3rd. Instead we kept mccown, then last year we ended up having to start Semien and Luke Falk. What if sams ceiling is a really good back up QB? Why can’t we keep him? Who’s our backup behind Lawrence? Flacco? Morgan?

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

Why can’t the Jets draft Lawrence, and keep darnold? I never understand why the Jets can’t invest in more than 1 QB at a time. I was told I was wrong for wanting the Jets to keep teddy instead of trade him for a 3rd. Instead we kept mccown, then last year we ended up having to start Semien and Luke Falk. What if sams ceiling is a really good back up QB? Why can’t we keep him? Who’s our backup behind Lawrence? Flacco? Morgan?

Because Sam is garbage and we get nothing for him once season starts.

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Really? Finding a franchise QB is that easy? With the Jets searching for 45 years now, who knew!?

You have to pick the right guy (not the 1st guy) and as important not have a talentless sh*t show in place around him.

The team had success with Mark Sanchez.  why?  Because most other parts of the team were in place.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

When the NY Jets are awarded the #1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft after finishing 0-16 and TL is on the board if they don't pick him this will be the biggest travesty in NY Jets history. 

Actually be just another one on a very long list. Or as my grandma would say,” another meatball for the sauce!” 

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Every year you see a team go from garbage to gold.  With good coaching and an eye for acquiring talent IMO you have to reset the QB clock and roll the dice hoping you can hit paydirt on a QB.  2019 Bills and 49ers.  2020 Miami and Browns.  2021 Chargers and Bengals?  You need those QB rookie contracts to build the team around him. Then you hope like hell he evolves into a franchise QB that can keep you competitive while you lose and acquire new talent around him...

I hope we can go from garbage to gold but I’m just worried about the timing and how big of a hole we are in. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Actually be just another one on a very long list. Or as my grandma would say,” another meatball for the sauce!” 

She shouldn’t have called you that doesn’t matter that your torso is a perfect sphere I’m sorry you had to live with that kind of abuse 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hope we can go from garbage to gold but I’m just worried about the timing and how big of a hole we are in. 

I’ll be happy to go from radioactive Chernobyl sewage to normal run of the mill food truck garbage 

• Haha 2