Mel Kiper: Jets should trade #2 pick and keep Darnold

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Fields does scare me a bit. I like Wilson out of BYU over him honestly. Hopefully we’re not picking 2nd tho

Wilson playing out of BYU would scare the hell out of me.

Seriously, how many BYU games have you suffered through compared to OSU and GA

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Wilson playing out of BYU would scare the hell out of me.

Seriously, how many BYU games have you suffered through

I’ve watched a couple with him this year. He’s got a huge arm, very talented. Go watch YouTube clips of him. He looks better than Fields 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’ve watched a couple with him this year. He’s got a huge arm, very talented. Go watch YouTube clips of him. He looks better than Fields 

Its the same thing everyone says, he has a huge arm.  I get that, easy to fall in love with the physical tools.  Browning Nagle had a bigger arm, he ultimately sucked.  Again, a couple of games at best because no one cared until he had that one big game a month ago.  Same here, but its a couple of games.  Against dubious talent.  

I just dont want to overthink it

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Fields does scare me a bit. I like Wilson out of BYU over him honestly. Hopefully we’re not picking 2nd tho

I mean Fields has done pretty much everything he can do on the college level. He’s one of the most efficient college QBs of all time. Not sure why people on this board don’t like him.

I think he’d be a #1 overall pick type in most drafts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, AtticusGase said:

I mean Fields has done pretty much everything he can do on the college level. He’s one of the most efficient college QBs of all time. Not sure why people on this board don’t like him.

I think he’d be a #1 overall pick type in most drafts. 

What did he miss, 10 or so passes his first three games this season?  Up until his blowup he went 3 seasons with all of three INTS total?  Has a strong arm, can make every throw a QB needs to make and is an athlete.

Sam Howell has been one of the better QBs the past two season and is definitely going to be projected as the number one pick next season. His team isn't good enough to the point in which his flaw doesn't show unlike Fields and Lawerance. You see how he handle late game pressure whether it's closing out or trying to make a comeback.

But I'm fully on board in getting a haul of picks. So much to the point we can be loaded with premium picks not only rhisnseason but also next season. 

36 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

I think tons of posters on this board have zero credibility as they said Josh Allen was a scrub.....many have posted already. Zero credibility....None.    Was worst qb prospect ever according to many.   Qb gurus are few and far between on this board.

To be fair, Allen was not good/great in college. 52% college completion percentage rate almost always translates to a failure at the pro level. Plenty of people (not just Jet fans) were super wrong about him.

That said, Buffalo did an amazing job of developing him. Not sure how well Allen would have succeeded here. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

To be fair, Allen was not good/great in college. 52% college completion percentage rate almost always translates to a failure at the pro level. Plenty of people (not just Jet fans) were super wrong about him.

That said, Buffalo did an amazing job of developing him. Not sure how well Allen would have succeeded here. 

Good post but kid came from Wyoming surrounded by nothing.  I remember watching him and was wowed by the athleticism and arm.  Never understood the hate in this board. 

5 hours ago, AtticusGase said:

He discussed this on Rich Cimini’s podcast. Accumulate more picks and draft more high end offensive and defensive talent to fill the roster. Sounds good, but I’d rather take the chance on the QB. 

1) Darnold needs a change of scenery. Running it back with him next year is just delaying the inevitable (see Trubisky). Get what you can for him and move on. 

2) If the Jets end up doing what Kiper says they are likely to become the Colts in a few years. Good team, but ultimately limited by their QB. I’d imagine that it would be a team like the Colts who would offer a package to move up for Fields because they know how difficult it is to find a franchise QB.

Come again? They had Manning and then a year later, had Luck. Jets had 15 different starters in the meantime. Colts do NOT know how difficult it is to find a franchise QB  Jets do. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Titan24 said:

Good post but kid came from Wyoming surrounded by nothing.  I remember watching him and was wowed by the athleticism and arm.  Never understood the hate in this board. 

He was pretty bad his rookie year and not great in year 2. The Josh Allen back then was a completely different player than the kid we see now. Everyone knew about his raw tools, but it required a leap of Faith. 

Also let’s see how his next few years play out before putting him in the hall of fame. I have a hunch NFL defenses are going to adjust to what the Bills/Allen are doing. 

7 hours ago, AtticusGase said:

He discussed this on Rich Cimini’s podcast. Accumulate more picks and draft more high end offensive and defensive talent to fill the roster. Sounds good, but I’d rather take the chance on the QB. 

1) Darnold needs a change of scenery. Running it back with him next year is just delaying the inevitable (see Trubisky). Get what you can for him and move on. 

2) If the Jets end up doing what Kiper says they are likely to become the Colts in a few years. Good team, but ultimately limited by their QB. I’d imagine that it would be a team like the Colts who would offer a package to move up for Fields because they know how difficult it is to find a franchise QB.

I would definitely trade back if they get the #2 pick.  Lawrence is worth dumping Darnold, no one else is.  

How many decades are we from Ohio State putting a worthwhile QB into the NFL?

I wouldnt trade back further than 5-6.  If Douglas is a legit GM, then having 7? first round picks in 3 yrs and all that cap space, he should be able to build a juggernaut.

If he is the usual schmuck GM we have, then it wont matter either way.

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's actually twice as worse. I can guarantee the Jets would get far more in a trade for Darnold than the bears could get for trubisky 

By every measure except in Jets fanboy hearts Trub is better. And way to go out on a limb with your prediction since Trubisky is a FA after this year lol 

6 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Trubisky hasn’t had to play for Satan’s special kid Adam either.

When the top selling point for a player is not anything he’s shown or accomplished on the field but that his coach has a reputation for holding players back... 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

I would definitely trade back if they get the #2 pick.  Lawrence is worth dumping Darnold, no one else is.  

How many decades are we from Ohio State putting a worthwhile QB into the NFL?

I wouldnt trade back further than 5-6.  If Douglas is a legit GM, then having 7? first round picks in 3 yrs and all that cap space, he should be able to build a juggernaut.

If he is the usual schmuck GM we have, then it wont matter either way.

He can build a great roster, but it’s not going to be championship level until he finds a legit QB. Do you really want to waste another season on Sam Darnold? I’m getting old, not sure how many more I have left. Sam seems like a great kid and hope he has a nice NFL career, but I have seen enough of him as Jets QB.

BTW I was researching the 2022 draft and do you know who the top QB prospects are?

Howell from UNC and Slovis from USC. Would you not draft either of them because of Trubisky and Darnold?

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If we get the 2 pick draft Penei Sewell and sign Jameis Winston

The Jets are not going to take Sewell at 2nd overall when they have their franchise left tackle in place. That’s now how you build an NFL roster. If they don’t take a QB they need to trade the pick. 

2 minutes ago, AtticusGase said:

The Jets are not going to take Sewell at 2nd overall when they have their franchise left tackle in place. That’s now how you build an NFL roster. If they don’t take a QB they need to trade the pick. 

RT is actually just as important as LT.  That’s what the well managed teams usually think anyway

Add Sewell and the Jets have the best offensive line in the nfl.  Bryce Petty could be effective playing behind that 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Titan24 said:

I think tons of posters on this board have zero credibility as they said Josh Allen was a scrub.....many have posted already. Zero credibility....None.    Was worst qb prospect ever according to many.   Qb gurus are few and far between on this board.

Zero credibility lol. Who is the best GM of all time? Got his name in your head. Good. He struck out on at least 40-50% of his draft picks.

4 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Mel Kiper suggesting that we should build around Sam is a good thing. Comments like this will actually boost his trade value. 

Good point.

RT is actually just as important as LT.  That’s what the well managed teams usually think anyway

Add Sewell and the Jets have the best offensive line in the nfl.  Bryce Petty could be effective playing behind that 

Seems so obvious to focus on OL and DL so why do so few GMs do it?

And what a coincidence the GMs that do have teams that actually win

It is strange indeed. Strangest of all was that the Rex-era Jets who ground and pounded their way to two AFC championship games fell appart from OL neglect 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You don’t invest the 2nd overall pick on a left tackle that you plan on moving to right tackle.   The Jets have far too many needs to make a luxury pick like that. Especially when there will be good offers to move Down.

1 minute ago, AtticusGase said:

I remember when the Packers drafted Kyler Boller 2.0

Or was it Joey Harrington 2.0 because he was coached by Jeff Tedford? 

I remember the Jets drafting a qb high and putting him behind a crap O-Line, no wrs and multiple incompetent coaching staffs.  Worked out really well.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AtticusGase said:

You don’t invest the 2nd overall pick on a left tackle that you plan on moving to right tackle.   The Jets have far too many needs to make a luxury pick like that. Especially when there will be good offers to move Down.

Right Tackle is just as important because the opposing team’s best pass rusher usually lines up at LDE

Now please go ahead and ignore that fact

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Right Tackle is just as important because the opposing team’s best pass rusher usually lines up at LDE

Now please go ahead and ignore that fact

Yes, but that’s not a right handed QBs blindside. It’s tougher to get home from the right side. If the opposing teams best pass rusher is lined up there because he can’t get around the left tackle it’s a win for the offense. 

I don’t have a problem with drafting another tackle in the first round, but not at 2nd overall. The Jets would be better served trading down and drafting multiple olineman with those picks.