Fields dropping and Wilson is rising

AL047

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Indeed.

Pat Mahomes' W-L record at Texas Tech:  14-14, including 1-2 in Bowl games.

Aaron Rodgers at Cal:  18-8, 1-1 in Bowl games.  

Funny how you didn't dare touch his Brady question because even you know (unlike Fields) Brady had BIG GAME Wins @ Michigan. 

25 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Mahomes and Rodgers didn't attend powerhouse Ohio State. 

And you must not know too much about Tom Brady's big wins @ Michigan; specifically during his final season of 1999 @ Michigan because a kid Brady delivered a 4th-quarter comeback during a 31-27 win against against 6th ranked Penn State, he beat Ohio State in order to advance to the Rose Bowl (huge win) and then he beat a #5 ranked ALABAMA powerhouse team in OT (in the Rose Bowl) while throwing for 4 TDs and almost 400 yards. 

Tom Brady had big wins; Justin Fields doesn't.

All I'm saying is that after former NFL QBs from Ohio State such as Mike Tomczak, Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, J.T Barrett and Dwayne Haskins have all came before Fields is it asking for TOO MUCH to first see him actually win a big game against someone before labeling him #2 overall pick worthy? 

So here is the list of QB's to play in the NFL from Clemson - Steve Fuller , Charlie Whitehurst, Nealon Greene , Homer Jordan and then Deshaun Watson.  By your same criteria shouldn't we be worried about QB's from Clemson.  Again the argument is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So here is the list of QB's to play in the NFL from Clemson - Steve Fuller , Charlie Whitehurst, Nealon Greene , Homer Jordan and then Deshaun Watson.  By your same criteria shouldn't we be worried about QB's from Clemson.  Again the argument is ridiculous. 

Ah geez, now he's going to reply by posting 63 video's, and it'll take me a half hour to scroll by them on my phone.   LOL 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Coming right after Watson while dominating even more than Watson did under the same head coach in Dabo; is an A+ sign for Trevor (who had big shoes to fill) and unfortunately Ohio State can't say the same but hey maybe Fields becomes to Ohio State as Watson is to Clemson (the icebreaker). 

I'm just not a fan of his playing style even in HS he ran the ball 300 + times for over 2K yards (in only 2 years) and looking to run first will always be apart of his DNA as a QB and I'm sorry but he looks to run way too often. 

I don't want the next Vick/Jackson/RG3 4.0 yes they are extremely exciting to watch but running QBs don't last long in this league and imo he's always relied more on his athleticism than his Quarterbacking expertise; and that's not going to work for him in the NFL because he's nowhere near as fast nor as quick as a Vick and Jackson. 

If he doesn't dominate with his arm come the playoffs there's no way he's deserving of a #2 overall selection. 

22 hours ago, AL047 said:

BYU QB Zach Wilson is charging up 2021 NFL Draft boards (nypost.com)

One NFL executive even said they believe that Wilson will ultimately overtake Fields in the coming months ahead of April’s 2021 NFL Draft.

Ohio State’s Justin Fields was presumed to be the second-overall pick. But the Buckeyes QB has fallen under a little more scrutiny as the season has gone on. And BYU’s Zach Wilson has emerged as an elite playmaker, who went from a bubble first-round prospect to a potential top-10 pick.

One NFL executive even said they believe that Wilson will ultimately overtake Fields in the coming months ahead of April’s 2021 NFL Draft.

I'm not sold on Justin Fields, this is one QB that is beginning to show cracks on his armor!!!

Where does it say Fields is dropping?

5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Who was the last great QB out of ND , Pitt, Michigan. Yet those schools produced Montana, Marino and Brady. The whole this or that school doesn't have good QB's is one of the most idiotic arguments I have ever heard. 

Yeah but Ohio State has been producing really stinky qbs recently

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Based on amount players in the NFL by conference and produced by individual schools, that would be a completely incorrect statement.

how many Big 10 players (excluding Ohio State) have been going to the NFL in the last 5 years compared to the other conferences?

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Except for the fact that the Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields played in the same offensive system.  Ryan Day is basically just an interim fill-in for Urban Meyer who is now permanent.  Same system.  Similar QB's and Haskins right now might be as bad as Jarrett Stidham or Christian Hackenberg,

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Mahomes and Rodgers didn't attend powerhouse Ohio State. 

And you must not know too much about Tom Brady's big wins @ Michigan; specifically during his final season of 1999 @ Michigan because a kid Brady delivered a 4th-quarter comeback during a 31-27 win against against 6th ranked Penn State, he beat Ohio State in order to advance to the Rose Bowl (huge win) and then he beat a #5 ranked ALABAMA powerhouse team in OT (in the Rose Bowl) while throwing for 4 TDs and almost 400 yards. 

Tom Brady had big wins; Justin Fields doesn't.

All I'm saying is that after former NFL QBs from Ohio State such as Mike Tomczak, Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, J.T Barrett and Dwayne Haskins have all came before Fields is it asking for TOO MUCH to first see him actually win a big game against someone before labeling him #2 overall pick worthy? 

Fair point on Brady. But all those games you mentioned , he was still a 6th rd pick. Scouts obviously see things in Fields that many of us may not, or may not agree with.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

how many Big 10 players (excluding Ohio State) have been going to the NFL in the last 5 years compared to the other conferences?

In the last 5 drafts, the Big Ten, not counting Ohio State has produced 157 draft picks.  The ACC, counting everyone is 171.  PAC 12? 163.  Big 12? 107.

I'll let you go run the numbers on what those races might look like taking out Clemson or whoever out of the PAC 12.

Should I do number of players in the NFL next?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And he wasn't even an Ohio State recruit!  Shouldn't we also be taking a look at Georgia QB's if we're going to continue with this stupid analysis, at least?

I, too, feel like I'm taking crazy pills at this point.

Lost in all this mind numbing nonsense is that Joe Burrow actually committed to Ohio St. out of High School and was there for 3 years before transferring but that doesnt count I guess? idk.  So dumb.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I will go out on a limb and say that the entire "School X doesn't produce NFL QBs" talking point is the single dumbest meme on this board, considering how many people seem to buy into it and how silly it really is. 

Before Mahomes, you could insert Texas Tech. Before Rodgers, you could insert Cal. Before Clemson, Watson. And around and around we go. 

I agree its silly, but I would die if we ever draft another USC QB

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, AL047 said:

BYU QB Zach Wilson is charging up 2021 NFL Draft boards (nypost.com)

Ohio State’s Justin Fields was presumed to be the second-overall pick. But the Buckeyes QB has fallen under a little more scrutiny as the season has gone on. And BYU’s Zach Wilson has emerged as an elite playmaker, who went from a bubble first-round prospect to a potential top-10 pick.

I'm not sold on Justin Fields, this is one QB that is beginning to show cracks on his armor!!!

Don't tell @JiF he'll kill all of us.

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2020 at 7:47 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

When has Fields ever won a BIG GAME?

Never. 

And that's because he plays in an absolute crap conference that used to be good back in the 30's, 40s, 50s and 60s. 

He tossed two INTs against Clemson during the playoffs last year too. 

When's the last time teams of his Big Ten conference has ever won themselves a Nation Championship (outside of Ohio State)?

Northwestern (0). 

Purdue (0). 

Indiana (0).

Rutgers (1869). 

Wisconsin (1942).

Illinois (1951). 

Maryland (1953). 

Iowa (1959). 

Minnesota (1960).

Michigan State (1966). 

Penn State (1986). 

Michigan (1997) and before that (1948).

Nebraska (2007). 

And we're praising him and impressed with him, for that? 

Put him in the SEC against Alabama, Georgia, Gators (or even LSU) or the ACC against Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami and even against FSU (we stink) and I bet he throws a lot more INTs just like he did against "Indiana" and Clemson (of last year). 

I've made one and only one Justin Fields prediction this year. Heading into Indiana's game I made it known I thought Fields would really struggle once not playing against an absolute crapfest defense for once. And I was literally MOCKED after his opening drive TD however after 4 quarters of play I was having the last laugh 3 INTs later. 

Nothing he does has impressed me and his style of play is frantic. He looks to run against crap defenses way too much too. 

Are you delusional or just ignorant? The Big Ten has had 11 AP top 25 teams  at the end of the season in the time TL has been playing. ACC grand total of 3, 2 of which were clemson. Sure the SEC is a beast. Sorry to inform you Notre Dame is not an ACC program outside of this covid year (will your head implode if they beat Clemson with TL playing, since it was all because he wasn't that they lost?).

TL has had multiple interception games against your "powerhouse" ACC defenses of Louisville, Georgia Tech and Syracuse (the only actually decent defense he played of the three). Last year against any defense worth a damn, posted sub 56% completion percentage (which is made worse by the offense he runs which majority of his passes are at or within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage) And we're supposed to be impressed by that?

He is a great prospect no doubt, but no where near the "generational" prospect of your frankly creepy adoration. He is the product of a system which employs superior talent against what in your words are "crap defenses". To which you will reply: but..but alabama, to which I will reply: Sam Darnold had an exceptional game...one time in college...in the rose bowl...big whoop.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Maybe in the 1930, 40s, 50s and 60s or even 1800's lol; but not today they aren't. 

It's been over 23 years since a Big Ten program (outside of Ohio State) has ever won a single National Championship. 

by far one of the least competitive Conferences within the entire Country. 

So what? There are legitimately only 4-5 programs in the country that are currently capable of winning a national title and Fields plays at one -- because all the elite talent gets gobbled up by them.

The Big 10 is 2nd in recruiting rankings. It's 2nd in NFL combine invites. It's 2nd in top 25 finishes over the last several years. It's the 2nd best conference in college football.

Your argument is asinine -- you're basically arguing that any QB who isn't from the SEC should be disregarded.

Newsflash -- there are only 1 or 2 programs in every P5 outside of the SEC who have won a national title in recent history.

7 hours ago, HawaiisOnlyJetsFan said:

He is a great prospect no doubt, but no where near the "generational" prospect of your frankly creepy adoration. He is the product of a system which employs superior talent against what in your words are "crap defenses". To which you will reply: but..but alabama, to which I will reply: Sam Darnold had an exceptional game...one time in college...in the rose bowl...big whoop.

Hes generational because just about every single person, media outlet, personnel person, ex GM, GM whoever with access says hes the best QB prospect since Luck.  Kind of the definition and why.  You dont have to agree, have him rated below, but the "creepy" insistence that hes not at every turn is annoying.  

23 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Maybe in the 1930, 40s, 50s and 60s or even 1800's lol; but not today they aren't. 

It's been over 23 years since a Big Ten program (outside of Ohio State) has ever won a single National Championship. 

by far one of the least competitive Conferences within the entire Country. 

54b95a4d1fc21.image.thumb.jpg.bbad30e5fa4307d2f6a029654901d2cc.jpg

Those days are long gone and not even Penn State has been able to win a National Championship since dating back to 1986 (I was 1 years old lol). 

My God your ignorance is astounding.  

Please explain how the ACC is so much more competitive?  Remove the two elite teams from the conferences (OSU and Clemson) and then evaluate the rest of the teams.  Maybe if your beloved FSU was actually a real program and was living up to its past reputation the conference would be more entertaining.  But the Seminoles are a dumpster fire right now and are not only irrelevant on the national stage, but irrelevant within the ACC.   Miami is never competitive in any big game it plays, Va Tech is miles away from where they were when Beamer was there, and UNC is only maybe a top 15 team at times.   

10 hours ago, HawaiisOnlyJetsFan said:

Are you delusional or just ignorant? The Big Ten has had 11 AP top 25 teams  at the end of the season in the time TL has been playing. ACC grand total of 3, 2 of which were clemson. Sure the SEC is a beast. Sorry to inform you Notre Dame is not an ACC program outside of this covid year (will your head implode if they beat Clemson with TL playing, since it was all because he wasn't that they lost?).

TL has had multiple interception games against your "powerhouse" ACC defenses of Louisville, Georgia Tech and Syracuse (the only actually decent defense he played of the three). Last year against any defense worth a damn, posted sub 56% completion percentage (which is made worse by the offense he runs which majority of his passes are at or within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage) And we're supposed to be impressed by that?

That bolded part is also totally laughable.  Ulagalelei threw for 439 yards and 2 tds to zero ints

On 12/15/2020 at 5:47 PM, jetstream23 said:

The funny thing is that the reaction on this board would’ve been nuclear if the Jets had taken Josh Allen over Darnold in that number #3 spot.

IF the Jets end up picking second instead of first, and take Wilson over Fields, what would the reaction be?

I'd be upset. But ONLY because they could have traded down and still gotten Wilson. I have no problem with Wilson over Fields. I'd do it without hesitation. I just don't think you need to waste the 2nd overall on Wilson.....

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That bolded part is also totally laughable.  Ulagalelei threw for 439 yards and 2 tds to zero ints

Ok cool and if you watched the game you'd know that Clemson had to settle for 4 FGs (while in scoring range) all because the Freshman QB couldn't get into the end zone during those FG ending drives (drives that would've ended up in TL TDs and a blowout win) and more importantly he completely wet the bed during overtime on their final drive (when it mattered the most). 

And if you paid attention while watching the game you would've realized that most of his passing yards were a result of Notre Dame daring the rookie to throw while they stacked 7-8 men in the box in order to completely eliminate Travis Etienne as a runner (which they did).

ala 18 rushing attempts for only 28 yards at an average of only 1.6 yards per carry (his worst game as a RB @ Clemson, ever.) 

In comparison to the last time Travis Etienne played against Notre Dame during the 2018 playoffs (while Notre Dame's defense had to FEAR Trevor Lawrence) he exploded for 14 rushing attempts for 109 rushing yards off an average of 7.8 yards per carry (while Trevor Lawrence blew them out the waters by 27 points and the game was over, before it started). 

Look. You aren't going to point out passing yards to me while completing ignoring the fact that

A.) ND's #1 defensive goal was the completely eliminate Travis Etienne as a runner by stacking 7-8 men in the box and daring the Freshman to beat them.

B.) Clemson had to settle for 4 FG's (during a 7 point loss).

C.) He choked @ QB during the 2nd overtime. 

D.) Trevor is 33-1 @ Clemson as a starter but yet under the Freshman QB Ulagalelei they only went 1-1 and barely beat BOSTON COLLEGE (by only 6 points) and could've easily been 0-2 during Lawrence's two game absence.

In comparison to TL who beat ND by 27 points in the playoffs (2018) and also murdered Boston College by 20 points (2018) and by 52 points (just last year). 

Who gives a crap about his "439 passing yards" that resulted in 4 FGs when Trevor Lawrence just put up 403 passing yards against a top 10 pass defense during his return against Pittsburgh before being benched after only 3 Q's (while his 2 backups combined for 9 passing attempts during the entire 4th Q in a 52-17 blowout) and another 404 passing yards against GT during the biggest ACC blowout of All-Time (73-7) during a game in which he was benched midway through the 3rd Q (where 3 other players combined for 17 pass attempts throughout the rest of the game). 

Fans such as yourself while making a big deal about Ulagalelei's "439 passing yards" during a double OT loss must not realize that TL would've had multiple games of 500+ yards passing; if not for Lawrence becoming absolutely BENCHED due to blowouts. 

Travis Etienne couldn't do crap without the threat of Lawrence as his QB on that night and Etienne only had 1 game of 100+ yards as a Freshman before TL arrived and has since recorded 18 games of 100+ rushing yards over the past three seasons since Trevor's arrival (because Trevor makes everyone around him, better).