(12-19-2020) NCAA Conference Championship Game Thread (the weekend we've all been waiting for)

12:00: #4 Ohio State (5-0) vs #14 Northwestern (6-1). 

anthonytscherne-1.jpg.8a1f3fe0960aa088d1f5288cdcdc7190.jpg

Let's see how Justin Fields looks and what he can do against tougher competition. 

4:00: #2 Notre Dame (10-0) vs. #3 Clemson (9-1) 

download.png.844f86a8c40024a22124a621a462c4d1.png

Last time Trevor plated Notre Dame he destroyed an undefeated 12-0 Notre Dame team during the playoffs as a True Freshman compared to Clemson losing in double overtime this year (without him). 

Last game without Trevor Lawrence @ QB Notre Dame completely eliminated Travis Etienne while stacking 7-8 men in the box against him vs a Freshman QB (worst game of his career as a RB) I don't believe that'll be the case today I believe Etienne goes for 100+. 

8:00: #1 Alabama (10-0) vs #7 Gators (8-2). 

1200px-SEC_Championship_Game_Logo_svg.thumb.png.66930b5d403eafe8b8c3f14df79b183f.png

Believe it or not but Mac Jones of Alabama has a better QB Rating (203.9) than Joe Burrow of last year (202.0) with 27 TDs/3 INTs and looking forward to watching how he plays against another SEC Gators defense (Devonta Smith is awesome but Najee Harris is the player im most looking forward to, Kyle Pitts too of Florida and I really hope he plays tonight). 

Those are the 3 games I'll be glued to. 

12:00: #5 Texas A&M (7-1) vs. unranked Tennessee (3-6). 

12:00: #6 Iowa State (8-2) vs #10 Oklahoma (7-2). 

4:15: #24 San Jose State (6-0) vs. Boise State (5-1). 

8:00: #9 Cincinnati (8-0) vs. #23 Tulsa (6-1). 

ncaa-football-logo.jpg.0fc5eaa5fdf2068df7e219d35bda74fa.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Someone tell me why I shouldnt put 500 on OSU at -17.

There out 22 players including Olave, but Northwestern??? UGH what to do what to do

NW defense is pretty good and will try and grind the game out as much as possible.  I think 17 is a lot just for the way they play, but the talent gap is large.

• Upvote 2

It's going to be sad not to see Lawrence in the nat champ game after notre dame crushes Clemson.  ?

The good thing about this week and then the playoffs is no real total punching bags to play against.  Should be some real tests.

Bama vs Florida should be interesing

Too bad A & M is only playing lousy Tennessee.

In any case the rankings committee is a sham.

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

NW defense is pretty good and will try and grind the game out as much as possible.  I think 17 is a lot just for the way they play, but the talent gap is large.

I feel like NW is Miami north. Can look good against ho hum competition, gets blown out against elite teams...

I mean the entire Big 10 this year outside OSU and Indy and I guess your hawkeyes and to a certain extent the cyclones is just so unbelievably mediocre. I can't take most of the BIG 10 seriously against a truly elite team like OSU, and I say this as someone who considers the BIG 10 my favorite conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Someone tell me why I shouldnt put 500 on OSU at -17.

There out 22 players including Olave, but Northwestern??? UGH what to do what to do

Maybe because Justin Fields (today) isn't playing against a 3-5 Nebraska team (35 point win), 3-5 Penn State (13 point win), 3-6 Rutgers (22 point win) and/or 2-5 Michigan State (40 point win). 

They haven't beaten anyone. 

They don't even deserve to make the playoffs (although not their fault). 

The only winning team they've played was INDIANA @ home in Ohio State lol and Fields tossed 3 INTs and was sacked 5-6x and only won by 7 points against a 4-1 Indiana team. 

This Northwestern team is 6-1 and led by a defensive minded coach who specializes in Defense and could really confuse an inexperienced QB in Fields today. 

You'd be a little nuts to bet on Ohio State to cover the spread because they won't be @ Ohio State today (neutral field) -17 is too much man. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Maybe because Justin Fields (today) isn't playing against a 3-5 Nebraska team (35 point win), 3-5 Penn State (13 point win), 3-6 Rutgers (22 point win) and/or 2-5 Michigan State (40 point win). 

They haven't beaten anyone. 

They don't even deserve to make the playoffs (although not their fault). 

The only winning team they've played was INDIANA @ home in Ohio State lol and Fields tossed 3 INTs and was sacked 5-6x and only won by 7 points against a 4-1 Indiana team. 

This Northwestern team is 6-1 and led by a defensive minded coach who specializes in Defense and could really confuse an inexperienced QB in Fields today. 

You'd be a little nuts to bet on Ohio State to cover the spread because they won't be @ Ohio State today (neutral field) -17 is too much man. 

Yeah im probably going to pass but I think they will end up covering. OSU is just so much more talented and outside of Iowa early in the season NW hasn't beaten anyone either.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's going to be sad not to see Lawrence in the nat champ game after notre dame crushes Clemson.  ?

Not a chance. The last time Trevor Lawrence got his hands on an undefeated and 12-0 Notre Dame team (as a true freshman) he absolutely destroyed them going 27/39 (69.2%), 327 passing yards, 3 TDs/0 INTs along with a QB Rating of 165.0 (while eliminating Notre Dame from the playoffs by a score of 30-3). 

Look. Trevor Lawrence is no longer a true Freshman anymore. He's now a Junior with a record of 33-1 overall (.970%) and will not be denied a 3rd consecutive back to back to back National Championship Game appearance here in 2020 and most certainly not because of "Notre Dame". 

Clemson: 44. 

Irish: 23. 

Something I have been harping on for some time (that no one seems to care about or support.)  ?

I'd like to see a hiring freeze in college sports until the college and even the pro season is ended.  Yeah yeah the whole recruiting things gets brought up which is valid i suppose but I hate seeing coaches ditch their job in season and screw the teams they have left.

Bielma just got hired by Illinis away from the Giants where we was their OLB and senior assistant coach, right in the middle of them trying to make the playoffs.  Many times in the past teams go to bowl games without the guy who got them there.

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The good thing about this week and then the playoffs is no real total punching bags to play against.  Should be some real tests.

After our game with Vandy was cancelled, I was hoping SEC would match us up against A&M.  Chance for them to boost their resume with another top 10 team and would have been a nice challenge for us now that we have a solid QB.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think im going with Clemson straight at -10.

No way ND can play competitive with them twice in one year. (Thats what im banking on at least haha) DJ looked so terrible against ND, Trevor is a huge upgrade.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Ruby2 said:

I think im going with Clemson straight at -10.

No way ND can play competitive with them twice in one year. (Thats what im banking on at least haha) DJ looked so terrible against ND, Trevor is a huge upgrade.

Terrible, he threw for 439 yards two tds and no ints.

• Upvote 1

I truly hope Ohio State gets upset today in order to end all of this Justin Fields #2 hype because I believe Mac Jones who's destroying the SEC is a much better QB than (a RB playing QB) Justin Fields. 

Once it's Clemson vs Alabama and Trevor Lawrence vs. Mac Jones during the National Championship game I believe it'll become Mac Jones who gets selected over Fields to Jax. 

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I truly hope Ohio State gets upset today in order to end all of this Justin Fields #2 hype because I believe Mac Jones who's destroying the SEC is a much better QB than (a RB playing QB) Justin Fields. 

Once it's Clemson vs Alabama and Trevor Lawrence vs. Mac Jones during the National Championship game I believe it'll become Mac Jones who gets selected over Fields to Jax. 

If the Jets lost out on TLaw, would you want Mac Jones at #2? Do you like him enough then? 

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I hope Ohio State loses just so we are not watching a team that played 6 games, and had rules changed for them mid-season, competing for a national title.  I would love to see what the committee does if OSU loses and if Clemson loses.  Does that open the door dor a 2-loss Big 12 Champ, or a 1 loss A&M.  And is there any scenario in which an undefeated Cincinnati would get a bid?  

Although OSU and Clemson probably win and we get the Clemson, OSU and Bama back in the playoff.  Just like almost every year.  

Just throwing it out there.....

JUSTIN FIELDS SUCKS. If the Jets somehow end up picking 2nd JD will NOT draft Fields. He'll trade down and get an enormous compensation package. The Jets will hold on to Sammy. JD will draft Zach Wilson or some other young kid to compete with Sammy.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Terrible, he threw for 439 yards two tds and no ints.

He didn't play terrible but his performance is being extremely overrated because

A.) Without the fear of Trevor Lawrence; ND's defense dared the Freshman to throw by stacking 7-8 men in the box every single play on 1st and 2nd down in order to completely eliminate Travis Etienne (which they did, he had his worst game ever @ Clemson).

B.) He had to settle for 4 FGs due to stalling inside of scoring range (would've been a blowout with TL within the red zone) 

C.) He absolutely crapped the bed during his final drive of double OT (when it mattered most). 

Lots of passing yards means zero when NDs defense was focused on stopping Etienne and lots of passing yards is meaningless when you kick 4 FGs inside of scoring range. 

They almost lost to BOSTON COLLEGE with D.J. Uiagalelei lol

(Trevor beat BC by 52 pts last year)

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Just throwing it out there.....

JUSTIN FIELDS SUCKS. If the Jets somehow end up picking 2nd JD will NOT draft Fields. He'll trade down and get an enormous compensation package. The Jets will hold on to Sammy. JD will draft Zach Wilson or some other young kid to compete with Sammy.

I doubt you would get the enormous compensation package if the Jets draft 2nd as they would if they had the 1st pick. 

Why does Fields suck in your eyes?