Aaron Glenn

The #Jets completed their interview with #Saints

NFL_2020_2021_Saints.png
secondary coach Aaron Glenn. The former NYJ first-round draft pick, Glenn cut his teeth in scouting before taking a coaching job. Now coaches one of the best groups in the NFL. An intriguing candidate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1348742839837093889?s=10

19 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I loved him as a player.  I’m nervous about a position coach becoming a head coach though.  

He's a Secondary coach.  How about bringing him here as a DC once we hire a HC?

Could also help with trying to pry CB Lattimore from the salary cap-strapped Saints! :D

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I loved him as a player.  I’m nervous about a position coach becoming a head coach though.  

Another example is Vrabel.  NFL LB coach for few years, then DC coach for 1 year - ascended quickly to the HC.  I think he's doing a pretty good job for the Titans.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I would be genuinely excited for this organization to appreciate its roots for once and hire Glenn who built his career on his intelligence on the football field. Especially a guy who went right from the playing field to scouting to the coaching ranks. Players respect that voice.

If he's the best candidate, hire him.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm fairly certain every HC was once a position coach. I see no problem jumping the line if he has the necessary characteristics. As we've seen being a Coordinator is no indication that you will be successful as a HC. Glenn knows football. It's been his life's work. From what I can tell, he is organized and understands how to motivate his players. My questions would be to the culture he would create, how he would create it, and what his football philosophy is.

Remember, Herm jumped the line and was never a coordinator. But for his conservative philosophy and inability to comprehend the workings of the clock and time outs, Herm was the real deal - inspirational and organized. His culture was right on. His football philosophy was not my cup of tea. So, if Glenn has the goods, I would not discount him just because he has never been a coordinator. On the plus side, he has been a scout in the NFL and spent some time as an arena league GM. So if you are into giving points for experience in different positions, coordinator is the only experience box he does not check. 

Really good post.

If Glenn can command the lockerroom, get the respect of the players and be well-regarded enough in league circles to put together a good staff, then isnt that exactly what we want in a HC?

• Upvote 1