Adam Schefter: 1 Team In Best Position For Deshaun Watson Trade

NYJets8

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Ha, cause others have done so well.

Just look at our history though.  I'd argue that draft we got Brick n Nick was what gave us our few years of playoff runs.

QB may be the most important position.  But oline as a whole is the most important position group in the game.

Yes so why don't we just use every draft pick in 2021 and 2022 to draft Olinemen . Then we can build a wall around Darnold so strong that mono couldn't even break through ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes so why don't we just use every draft pick in 2021 and 2022 to draft Olinemen . Then we can build a wall around Darnold so strong that mono couldn't even break through ?

Lithe high school girls can slip in through gaps less than 5 inches wide. Science.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

My question for the people foaming at the mouth for Watson: how are we building this roster around him after we send Houston 3x first round picks for a guy with a $30 million cap hit?

We still suck horribly at WR, TE, OL, RB, CB, Edge and safety will be an abyss once Maye leaves via FA

Just stop.  He doesn't have a $30 million cap hit if he gets traded.  It'll be $11 million in 2021 and $35 million in 2022. Some of you fools are willing to give Darnold $25 million in 2022 on his 5th year option.  So spare me the "we won't have money for anybody else" nonsense. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Just stop.  He doesn't have a $30 million cap hit if he gets traded.  It'll be $11 million in 2021 and $35 million in 2022. Some of you fools are seeking to give Darnold $25 million in 2022 on his 5th year option.  So spare me the "we won't have money for anybody else" nonsense. 

Darnoids getting desperate. Throwing every conceivable argument against the wall hoping something sticks. Dismantle one, they fling 10 more. Nothing will change their minds. If Geno comes in for an injured Russ Wilson next year and plays well, his defenders will come out of nowhere with "told ya so's."

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It must be a lot of fun to sit next to you in a Chad Pennington jersey and watch Tom Brady go to something like his millionth Conference Championship Game! lol

#2000Draft

#WeAreMarshall

#Pick18

I think I’m missing the reference in re: me here, honesty. Sorry (for real).

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Nothing is guaranteed in life. Feels is the second rated quarterback only behind Trevor. Not exactly a high risk. Was it as your question if you deem it so yes I would take that risk.

Just because he’s the second rated QB doesn’t mean he should be selected #2. 

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Everybody deciding that Joe Douglas is just a bargain shopper based on 1 offseason is crazy. 25 year old star QBs are never available in FA or in trades.  This is a unique situation. I'm assuming if Watson was a FA he'd be getting close to $45 million per year over an 8-10 year deal. In this scenario you're trading lotto tickets for a 25 year old star QB who will cost on average $29.8 million per year over the next 4 years.

Also, let me point out that 1st round picks bust more than 50% of the time.  From the 2001 draft thru the 2016 draft 36 QB's were taken in the first round.  23 of them were busts. So That's a236% chance of hitting on a 1st round QB. 

With Watson you're getting a star who is still ascending.  Part of running an organization, any organization, is to reduce risk.  Adding Watson does that.  I expect if the Jets have a legit shot at getting him they will try everything they can to do so. Not doing that would be organizational malpractice. 

Scratch Offs -- The Jets fan retirement plan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, jgb said:

If it means getting their boy Sam one more chance to prove they were right on an Internet messageboard? Absolutely they would.

I don't even mind Darnold and I think he has the capacity to play adequately at his level. Nonetheless we are talking about someone who has 99% chance of being a hall of famer.

It's crazy that people would pass on him when there is an opportunity like this and the Jets have the capital to still be ok after the an hypothetical trade.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I think I’m missing the reference in re: me here, honesty. Sorry (for real).

Just saying that looking back in hindsight at all of the "what could have beens" is hard to do.  Thinking about missing out on both Mahomes and Watson (and what it would cost now to get Watson vis-a-vis the Jamal Adams picks the Jets got) is about as enjoyable as mourning not taking Tom Brady and riding Chad Pennington to mediocrity.

(It was a loose and poorly explained analogy.  lol  Not your fault.)

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Everybody deciding that Joe Douglas is just a bargain shopper based on 1 offseason is crazy. 25 year old star QBs are never available in FA or in trades.  This is a unique situation. I'm assuming if Watson was a FA he'd be getting close to $45 million per year over an 8-10 year deal. In this scenario you're trading lotto tickets for a 25 year old star QB who will cost on average $29.8 million per year over the next 4 years.

Also, let me point out that 1st round picks bust more than 50% of the time.  From the 2001 draft thru the 2016 draft 36 QB's were taken in the first round.  23 of them were busts. So That's a 36% chance of hitting on a 1st round QB. 

With Watson you're getting a star who is still ascending.  Part of running an organization, any organization, is to reduce risk.  Adding Watson does that.  I expect if the Jets have a legit shot at getting him they will try everything they can to do so. Not doing that would be organizational malpractice. 

Reaction Applause GIF

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No it won't because Houston is leveraged. If I am considering trading with Houston #2 is off the table. I would trade our second #1 and a second pick or Darnold. No way am I considering more than 1 #1, we still would need to build a team around Watson. I might trade bothe Seattle #1s depending on what I can get for trading down from #2. If they insist on #2 I just take Wilson and move on.

well then forget about Watson. cause 1 number 1 pick just wont do it. be realistic. even 2. 

and its going to be like 20 teams making offers for him. 

and that #2 pick has to be on the table for any trade for Watson. they want a QB and they need that pick to draft one. and please dont tell me that Sam Donald will satisfy them so they wont need it. 

I guess that I’m having a hard time understanding many of the arguments here and I would like some help.

The obvious argument is that if we had drafted DW when we had the chance it would have been better. Of course this is true, but it is not where we are. How does this direct our next decision? I guess this is just rolling in misery (a favorite pastime of Jet fans).

Another argument is that we need to have the other parts of the team first. As a young player (25), he won’t retire soon and so why is the ORDER of hires so critical? The value of your draft capital is a different argument than the order.

Speaking of value of draft capital, it is entirely clear that if you hit on every draft pick every year you would have such a crazy wonderful team that you would almost never hire a FA. This is not the real world. In the real world, you have a mix of drafted and FA pickups and you pay an extra premium for the knowledge of how they play at the NFL level. The more important the position and the more talented the player, the greater premium. Does the “draft capital is most valuable” argument really make most FA acquisitions wrong?

Many judge the trade details of JA in order to stipulate what would be the likely cost for DW. This requires us to believe that all trades are equitable (both sides got even value). Do we really believe that? Based upon many examples (especially JA) it seems the opposite may be true.

My reading of the situation is that we have placed ourselves in the enviable position of having lots of draft capital, lots of cap space, and a new coach who is getting high praise even from non-Jets fans. I believe that JD should work his ass off to get a deal for DW that is effectively JA plus a bit extra. I trust him to not offer the entire farm. If he can get a reasonable deal then we change the “right” order and build around the FQB rather than build for a future FQB. To me the “JA plus a bit” feels like the “bit” is our penalty for having not drafted Watson when we had a chance. Most of the definitions of this “bit” tossed around here don’t seem extravagant put up against the quality of the player.

Do we really look only at Win/Loss to evaluate a QB? Isn’t it true that the points scored by the Texans this year were typical or better than their winning seasons and that the points allowed by their defense were horrid? How then is the win/loss placed entirely on Watson?

Personally, I doubt DW shoots his way out of Houston, but we should try our best to make sure that if he does he comes out wearing green.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

Just stop.  He doesn't have a $30 million cap hit if he gets traded.  It'll be $11 million in 2021 and $35 million in 2022. Some of you fools are willing to give Darnold $25 million in 2022 on his 5th year option.  So spare me the "we won't have money for anybody else" nonsense. 

don't quietly slide Darnold's 5th year option in there as though it's something we'd HAVE to pay.

5-11

HOU's 2020 record with Watson and a better roster than NYJ

end of story. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Paradis said:

don't quietly slide Darnold's 5th year option in there as though it's something we'd HAVE to pay.

5-11

HOU's 2020 record with Watson and a better roster than NYJ

end of story. 

Learning how to read should be your priority. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

well then forget about Watson. cause 1 number 1 pick just wont do it. be realistic. even 2. 

and its going to be like 20 teams making offers for him. 

and that #2 pick has to be on the table for any trade for Watson. they want a QB and they need that pick to draft one. and please dont tell me that Sam Donald will satisfy them so they wont need it. 

OK then I pass. Id rather have a QB on a rookie contract anyway. Doubt the Texans get as much as you are thinking because of the situation, In fact I doubt he is traded at all. They will hire Bieniemy and smooth things over

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Apparently not.  Where did you become a scholar? Trump University?

try again, dick nose. You're hell bent on showing up everyone here on here with your "common sense" assessment of the Watson situation - but you're just like everyone else with an a$$hole and an opinion.  Sweet lotto ticket analogy - but i don't' value Watson like that... he was on sh*tty houston team and barely scrapped together 5 wins. Same sh*t here.... Being superman will only get you so far..

this roster is in need of so much talent; would rather roll the dice addressing the QB elsewhere - over fleecing out 1st rounds for the next two years.

Fields+all them picks>>>Watson

You don't like it --> toss my salad. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

OK then I pass. Id rather have a QB on a rookie contract anyway. Doubt the Texans get as much as you are thinking because of the situation, In fact I doubt he is traded at all. They will hire Bieniemy and smooth things over

After that they should make him the GM.  And I’m serious 

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

try again, dick nose. You're hell bent on showing up everyone here on here with your "common sense" assessment of the Watson situation - but you're just like everyone else with an a$$hole and an opinion.  Sweet lotto ticket analogy - but i don't' value Watson like that... he was on sh*tty houston team and barely scrapped together 5 wins. Same sh*t here.... Being superman will only get you so far..

this roster is in need of so much talent; would rather roll the dice addressing the QB elsewhere - over fleecing out 1st rounds for the next two years.

Fields+all them picks>>>Watson

You don't like it --> toss my salad. 

Stupid people resort to name calling. My opinion happens to be well reasoned and thought out, yours sucks. That seems to be the one thing you're consistent with. 

And as much as you'd like to me to toss your salad I'm not related to you so I don't think you'd be that excited about it as much as you think you would be. 

7 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If we don’t get Watson so be it. I’m all in taking Fields with the 2nd pick and then build around him from there. I just don’t know if Fields fits the new offensive scheme. Whatever happens we cannot trot out Darnold another year.

Certainly not without a legitimate vet backup and a 6-inch leash

You would still be building thru the draft. Realistically they're going to use the #2 pick on a QB no matter what is being said about Darnold. So in a hypothetical trade:
Jets Trade:
Darnold
2021 2nd overall pick
2021 Jets 3rd round pick
2021 Giants 5th round pick
2022 Seattle 1st round pick
2022 Pittsburgh 5th round pick
Texans trade:
Deshaun Watson

With this trade the Jets still maintain a pick in every round in 2021 and 2022 and you are still able to build through the draft to surround your now star QB. The only big piece you're giving up is the 2022 1st bc in all likelihood the 2nd overall pick was already going to a rookie QB. 
So you're saying we should give up our entire amount of quality picks for ONE player. The asking price is way too much and if I'm JD I don't want any part of that.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app