Adam Schefter: 1 Team In Best Position For Deshaun Watson Trade

NYJets8

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't get all the enthusiasm for trading to get watson.  watson is a good qb but the jets are a team with quite a few key needs so using draft capital to land this guy just isn't worth it.  plus if you consider all of the picks that were given up for darnold plus the ones that would be needed to land watson and you see way too much invested in the qb position.  and while the picks for darnold are water under the bridge it just shows how they could have fielded a pretty respectable team if they retained those picks and used them for other positions (or even the qb position. remember had they retained the 5 pick in 2016 they had the choice of allen or jackson).

How is our roster better than the roster Watson had in Houston that he just went 4-12 with?

not only did the Texans have a better OL, Fuller and Cooks >>>>>>> our trash WRs, David Johnson >>>>> Bell and Gore

9 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

NE - not a rookie deal qb

KC - ok, thats one

Phi - Kinda? WEntz was hurt

SF - Nope

LAR - 2.5

Den - wth no lmao ( maybe you meant seattle?) either way, not part of last 6

Car - Not part of last 6

Yes, Literal Jim...it was sarcasm 

DEN vs CAR was 2016 (within 6 yrs)

Neither of which had a QB on their rookie contract.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It makes way too much sense for the Jets, BUT it’s not up to the Jets, it’s up to Deshaun. 

This is going to sound insane, BUT, I feel like if Watson’s camp pushes a trade and it gets to a bidding situation, the Jets—with Saleh and LaFleur—could make a pretty decent sales pitch to Watson while also offering the Texans the sweetest return. I’m biased because I think Miami is a fraud team, but I don’t think the gulf between them and the Jets is as massive as, say, the gulf between the Jets and the Niners situation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is going to sound insane, BUT, I feel like if Watson’s camp pushes a trade and it gets to a bidding situation, the Jets—with Saleh and LaFleur—could make a pretty decent sales pitch to Watson while also offering the Texans the sweetest return. I’m biased because I think Miami is a fraud team, but I don’t think the gulf between them and the Jets is as massive as, say, the gulf between the Jets and the Niners situation. 

Watson literally posting videos of himself hanging out in harlem. And people think he wont play here.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How is our roster better than the roster Watson had in Houston that he just went 4-12 with?

not only did the Texans have a better OL, Fuller and Cooks >>>>>>> our trash WRs, David Johnson >>>>> Bell and Gore

right.  the jets need other key players besides qb and it's hard to give up draft capital for a single player.  but as i and others have said, there are other qbs that can be traded for if that's the route they want to take.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The jets roster isn’t a disaster.  Gase and darnold were the disasters.  If the jets played bridgewater and had rhule all season they win 5-6 games and were never in the tank discussion.  But when you have the 32nd best qb/hc combo, they cost you games.  If the ravens and 49ers are the blueprints for the new jets team, we’re looking at trading back and drafting a buttload of talent all over the field over the next 2 years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

right.  the jets need other key players besides qb and it's hard to give up draft capital for a single player.  but as i and others have said, there are other qbs that can be traded for if that's the route they want to take.

My question for the people foaming at the mouth for Watson: how are we building this roster around him after we send Houston 3x first round picks for a guy with a $30 million cap hit?

We still suck horribly at WR, TE, OL, RB, CB, Edge and safety will be an abyss once Maye leaves via FA

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If it gets to the point that there is no other option than trading him, then maybe.   If he can’t get to Miami then he will have to expand his options, but then I would think he would prefer Carolina or Atlanta, and maybe the Texans would prefer to send him out of the conference.  

• Upvote 1

Not sure which thread to put this in. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2021/1/18/22232051/deshaun-watson-trade-nfl-historical-comparisons

Its a long article about recent trades 

This is the closest comparison for a young QB getting traded 

April 2, 2009: The Broncos trade QB Jay Cutler to the Bears in exchange for QB Kyle Orton, a 2009 first-round pick (18th), a 2009 third-round pick, and a 2010 first-round pick.

This is the deal that’s most comparable to any potential Watson trades, though that isn’t saying too much. Cutler was the same age as Watson currently is (25) and was coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he’d thrown for 4,526 yards in Denver. The Broncos fired head coach Mike Shanahan after the 2008 season, and new head coach Josh McDaniels never saw eye to eye with Cutler. Cutler asked for a trade that offseason, and the Broncos moved him to Chicago in exchange for a pair of first-round picks, Kyle Orton, and a third-rounder. There is one key difference, though: Cutler was a good quarterback, Watson is a superstar. While Cutler never lived up to the hype in Chicago, Watson appears to be worthy of an investment that is even bigger than this deal.

It also goes over how screwed up the Texans are  I forgot about the clowney trade and they indicate jj watt is probably gone too   Wow lol

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Haven't we been hearing we can't sign a QB until we have a good team . So did the Jets suddenly become a good team or did the whole "building the team first nonsense" just get exposed. 

Especially now that the “top 5 QB” just went 4-12 with a way better roster than he would get here

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why would the Jags ever trade away Trevor Lawrence going into his 1st year on a rookie contract for Watson and his massive  contract?  

The Fish, though, would be the favorite to land Watson ONLY if the Texans have interest in Tua. If they don't want Tua, then the Fish and their stockpile of picks would match pretty equally to the Jets stockpile of picks. 

I didn't say they would. The OP states "Schefter thinks they [the Jets] are the best positioned to put together a package for Watson." They are clearly not. Perhaps he meant to say that of the teams that may trade for Lawrence, the Jets are in the best positon"? But I don't think that is true either, the Dolphins are in just a good of a position as the Jets.

That said, while I do not think that the Jags will trade for Watson, it is only because they are stupid. If you can trade for a 25 year old 3x pro bowl QB who fits comfortably under your cap, YOU DO.  You don't pass on the real thing for a draft pick.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I didn't say they would. The OP states "Schefter thinks they [the Jets] are the best positioned to put together a package for Watson." They are clearly not. Perhaps he meant to say that of the teams that may trade for Lawrence, the Jets are in the best positon"? But I don't think that is true either, the Dolphins are in just a good of a position as the Jets.

That said, while I do not think that the Jags will trade for Watson, it is only because they are stupid. If you can trade for a 25 year old 3x pro bowl QB who fits comfortably under your cap, YOU DO.  You don't pass on the real thing for a draft pick.

That’s like saying the colts in 1998 should have traded for Drew Bledsoe instead of drafting Peyton Manning overall because he was already a sure thing 

1 minute ago, Lizard King said:

It’s not blowing picks -

You are getting much more than Watson

you are earning the right to sit at the table for serious discussion to entice other premier offensive players for a decade. 

And how are we paying all these marquis free agents?

59 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If the Jaguars like Watson, then this is so ridiculously easy:   Jags give the #1 to Houston for Watson + maybe another pick/player.  Done.  Houston drafts Trevor. 

I'm at a loss as to why they wouldn't and if the Texans say no and trade him for a pick other than the #1/Lawrence, that would make them look like complete idiots.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

My question for the people foaming at the mouth for Watson: how are we building this roster around him after we send Houston 3x first round picks for a guy with a $30 million cap hit?

We still suck horribly at WR, TE, OL, RB, CB, Edge and safety will be an abyss once Maye leaves via FA

If we trade #2, our 2022 first and 2023 first to houston along with Sam, we still have 2 picks in the top 35 of this draft to improve the team where we can address 2 of WR, RB, OL or edge.

Our OL is significantly better then the houston OL if we keep the same 5 guys from last year but we can likely replace one guard or even release Fant and upgrade RT if we really wanted to.  

After that, its on JD to bring in some veterans to fill holes at TE and CB.  Watson's average cap hit over the next 4 years is $29 million, that is not a crippling number especially for a team with the amount of cap space we have. 

If the Jets are giving up on Darnold (which they should), they need to draft a QB at #2 and fill as many holes as possible with the rest of their picks. IMO it's the much better option than trading all of our draft capital for Watson.  Watson is a great talent but putting him on this team minus a ton of high draft picks the next few years will only improve the team marginally, but not enough to become a consistent winner. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jags are not going to be in this so you guys can forget about it. There is no way in hell The Texans will Trade Watson within the division. When it comes to the Jets and Dolphins the Jets have more draft capital and they have the more desirable pick at #2 so nothing you guys are saying here makes any sense at all. Keep in mind Watson has already said he wanted to play for Bienimy or Saleh he recommended both of them to the Texans and they refused. Last time I looked Saleh does not coach the Dolphins. 

In respect to our leverage in Landing Watson all Joe Douglas has to do is let this play out and deteriorate further to the point the Texans have to move Watson. It can reach that stage and TBH I would let that play out because as of this moment the price may be too steep, until this begins to unravel, if it does at all. 

If the Texans trade with the Jets the Texans have the option to pick their QB not named Lawrence so that gives them the option of Landing Fields or Wilson with  the Jets pick. If they take Miami's pick they get who falls to them and that is certainly not more valuable than what the Jets have to offer. They can also trade out of the Jets pick and obtain more picks if they like a guy like Mac Jones which would not be a terrible decision for a team that will basically be starting over and if this is the case they would probably be even better off trading Watt as well to grab more picks. 

The Jets have more leverage here than you think and if things get really bad to the point Watson tells Houston to **** off and wont play for them it gets even better. At that point it would become a reality that the Jets could get him for less than you would think.

If I were in Douglas' position and things were getting out of control My first offer would be The #2 and Darnold if that's not enough  I would add a second rounder as well and let that float around a bit. If that fails my final offer would be This years #2 plus Pick # 23 (or next years #1) and Sam Darnold that would be my final offer and I would take that to the draft. If Watson gives the Texans the ultimatum they would be crazy to turn that down.

Just so I understand, the Texans will say no to trading Watson to the Jags in exchange for the #1/Lawrence because the Jags are in their division? LOL! So, they'd rather the Jags have Lawrence and the Texans counter with Fields or Wilson? It would be professional malpractice for the Texans to say no if the Jags offered a deal which included the #1 overall pick/Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

If the Jets can feasibly trade for Watson they have to do it. Already under contract and they the Jets would be responsible for 5 years, $146.5 million ($29 APY—far below what franchise QBs will be due to make). 

For what it’s worth, Jets FO don’t believe this will realistically happen. If he’s playing for anyone other than the Texans, it would probably be Miami. 

Most likely: they will hire a coach that Watson wants to be aligned with (Bieniemy)

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm assuming you mean '21, '22, and '23.  That would be tough to swallow but I can't argue that it's not worth it, especially since we have two 1sts from Seattle.  The trade would essentially look like Jamal Adams + 1st round pick for Deshaun Watson.  Not too many people would balk at that.  

That's like saying you're only giving up the $10 you spent on a PowerBall ticket when you give someone the millions of dollars you won from that winning ticket.

Keep the picks!

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

If we trade #2, our 2022 first and 2023 first to houston along with Sam, we still have 2 picks in the top 35 of this draft to improve the team where we can address 2 of WR, RB, OL or edge.

Our OL is significantly better then the houston OL if we keep the same 5 guys from last year but we can likely replace one guard or even release Fant and upgrade RT if we really wanted to.  

After that, its on JD to bring in some veterans to fill holes at TE and CB.  Watson's average cap hit over the next 4 years is $29 million, that is not a crippling number especially for a team with the amount of cap space we have. 

Ok so let me respond to your points:

1. 3 first round picks including the 2nd overall pick for this guy would be highway robbery for the Texans.  Caserio should be on the fbi most wanted list for robbing Woody if that deal goes through and we would be left with 2 top 35 picks next two years to improve a crappy roster

2. Houston’s OL is better.  Not to mention Becton missed games last year which in that case it was way better

3. The salary cap is going to decrease by a lot this year and that’s in addition to taking on Watson’s $30 million cap hit.  Where are we getting all these free agents from?

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Show me any kind of proof where we suddenly wouldn’t have money if we traded for Watson Contract? 

For the team trading for Watson it’s a bargain from a cap perspective.  Houston has already paid his signing bonus, the team trading for Deshaun is only on the hook for the salary.  You can easily restructure the deal and soften the blow of the $35M due in 2022.  Besides, where would all this cap space be spent otherwise?   People have these fantasies of signing all these top tier free agents every spring, and every spring they are sorely disappointed.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't get all the enthusiasm for trading to get watson.

Posted elsewhere, but ~4,800 yards, 70% Completion, 30+ TD's, >10 INT's, and a few Rushing TD's to boot, in a bad year, on a bad team, with no #1 WR.

I 100% get the enthusiasm.  I'd be pretty damn pleased if ANY Jets QB could put up those kinds of numbers.

My concern is can Watson put up those kinds of numbers, behind our pathetic O-line (Becton excluded, he's great so far), with our pathetic WR's (Crowder is good, the rest either aren't or remain ?? like Mims), and with no RB and Stone Hands Herndon at TE?

Sure, we COULD still load up on 2nd round WR's or 4th round O-linemen if we trade away all our #1's the next few seasons (which we'd have to do).

And maybe that would work out, I certainly can't say it wouldn't or couldn't.  That Franchise QB brings alot to the table.

So I get the enthusiasm, I'm just concerned about how we put a good team around him if we sell off the future of #1 picks for a few years to get him.  

• Upvote 1

That’s like saying the colts in 1998 should have traded for Drew Bledsoe instead of drafting Peyton Manning overall because he was already a sure thing 

If you think Lawrence is Peyton Manning AND Bledsoe was demanding a trade in 1998, then you hit the nail on the head.

Also, you can't view Bledsoe as his career turned out. It isn't his fault the goat was drafted in the 6th round by his team. In 1998, Beldsoe was viewed as one of the best QBs in the NFL, which is why he was, in fact, a 3x pro bowler by age 26. 

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

If the Jets can feasibly trade for Watson they have to do it. Already under contract and they the Jets would be responsible for 5 years, $146.5 million ($29 APY—far below what franchise QBs will be due to make). 

For what it’s worth, Jets FO don’t believe this will realistically happen. If he’s playing for anyone other than the Texans, it would probably be Miami. 

Most likely: they will hire a coach that Watson wants to be aligned with (Bieniemy)

Tells you all you need to know what the Dolphins think of Tua after 8 games, and what they'll do with #3 if they have it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Show me any kind of proof where we suddenly wouldn’t have money if we traded for Watson Contract? 

We currently have $62 million cap space based on the current cap which will be decreasing by $22-25 million so take that figure off the top.  Next your adding Watson’s $30 million cap hit

lose another $5-10 million to sign draft picks (though to be fair we won’t have any)

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-salary-cap-conundrum-three-major-consequences-of-projected-decrease

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Posted elsewhere, but ~4,800 yards, 70% Completion, 30+ TD's, >10 INT's, and a few Rushing TD's to boot, in a bad year, on a bad team, with no #1 WR.

I 100% get the enthusiasm.  I'd be pretty damn pleased if ANY Jets QB could put up those kinds of numbers.

My concern is can Watson put up those kinds of numbers, behind our pathetic O-line (Becton excluded, he's great so far), with our pathetic WR's (Crowder is good, the rest either aren't or remain ?? like Mims), and with no RB and Stone Hands Herndon at TE?

Sure, we COULD still load up on 2nd round WR's or 4th round O-linemen if we trade away all our #1's the next few seasons (which we'd have to do).

And maybe that would work out, I certainly can't say it wouldn't or couldn't.  That Franchise QB brings alot to the table.

So I get the enthusiasm, I'm just concerned about how we put a good team around him if we sell off the future of #1 picks for a few years to get him.  

Watson got sacked more times last year than flacco and Sam combined.  Why would  he fall apart behind our Oline

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Watson got sacked more times last year than flacco and Sam combined.  Why would  he fall apart behind our Oline

Because our O-line is pretty much the worst in the NFL (outside of Becton).

Because our WR group is pretty much the worst in the NFL.

Because our RB group is pretty much the worst in the NFL.

And because our TE's are amongst the worst in the NFL.

These seem like pretty good reasons a Watson-as-a-Jet might not produce to the previous levels of Watson-as-a-Texan.