False Alarm: Bieniemy a Finalist for Texans Job

Report: Deshaun Watson wants out of Houston, no matter who the coach is

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 24, 2021, 1:05 PM EST

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson was reportedly unhappy this offseason when he suggested that Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy should interview for the team’s head-coaching vacancy and the Texans left him off their list. But just because the Texans later reversed course and did interview Bieniemy, that doesn’t mean Watson can be placated.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Watson wants out of Houston and that won’t change, regardless of who the Texans hire to be their next head coach.

That could make it a tough sell for the Texans to get any top candidate to take the job. If Watson isn’t going to be there, the Texans job is one of the least attractive NFL job openings in years. The Texans are a bad team without much in the way of draft capital or salary cap space to get better. The only thing that would make the job attractive to a coach is that Watson, one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks, is there.

If the Texans offer Bieniemy the job, he might decide he’s better off remaining in Kansas City, where Patrick Mahomes is running his offense, than going to Houston, where he doesn’t know who his quarterback would be.

It’s been an ugly offseason in Houston, and the situation does not appear to be improving.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess it comes down to who he thinks can fix either roster—Easterby and Caserio, or Douglas and Saleh.

Very possible. What do you think of this proposal, at least for starters? Starts with the idea that they don't want Sam in any type of trade. We offer, #2,#23 and #34, all this year. It's basically giving them three #1's. Figure that JD probably has a decent idea for what the market for Sam is. If you could flip him for a 2, you would get our pain out of the way this year, and have picks in every round except the first. With Watson on board, we would probably have a pretty good recruiting tool to add a couple of pieces we could have used our picks on. If Watson forces their hand, they may find it hard to beat a deal like that.

It's interesting how the "I don't care who they hired @ HC, I want out" rumor will impact Bienemy & Caldwell's decision. 

I know there's only 32 jobs... but this one, without Deshaun + with Texans ownership/organization, is terrible.

We've all beaten this to death, but at some point Deshaun has to officially request a trade to get this done. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Houston could hire the black Knute Rockne and they will still be saddled with being way over the salary cap and no 1st or 2nd rd. draft picks. Their GM better be great at identifying talent in day2-3 having several become immediate contributors. Watson would still be wise to get out of town & Texans to start over with the rebuild 

accept for the salary cap, this would have been us if we made this trade

no 1st and 2nd rd picks. a GM who better be good at finding 2-3 day talent.

this is why i said from the start, Watson isn't picking us.

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Very possible. What do you think of this proposal, at least for starters? Starts with the idea that they don't want Sam in any type of trade. We offer, #2,#23 and #34, all this year. It's basically giving them three #1's. Figure that JD probably has a decent idea for what the market for Sam is. If you could flip him for a 2, you would get our pain out of the way this year, and have picks in every round except the first. With Watson on board, we would probably have a pretty good recruiting tool to add a couple of pieces we could have used our picks on. If Watson forces their hand, they may find it hard to beat a deal like that.

You dont seem to get it, the #2 pick is actually worth 3 mid to late number ones, on the trade value charts. Get familiar with it before posting random, nonsensical trades. And no, the Jets are not trading all of their top picks in 2021 either.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Report: Deshaun Watson wants out of Houston, no matter who the coach is

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 24, 2021, 1:05 PM EST

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson was reportedly unhappy this offseason when he suggested that Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy should interview for the team’s head-coaching vacancy and the Texans left him off their list. But just because the Texans later reversed course and did interview Bieniemy, that doesn’t mean Watson can be placated.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Watson wants out of Houston and that won’t change, regardless of who the Texans hire to be their next head coach.

That could make it a tough sell for the Texans to get any top candidate to take the job. If Watson isn’t going to be there, the Texans job is one of the least attractive NFL job openings in years. The Texans are a bad team without much in the way of draft capital or salary cap space to get better. The only thing that would make the job attractive to a coach is that Watson, one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks, is there.

If the Texans offer Bieniemy the job, he might decide he’s better off remaining in Kansas City, where Patrick Mahomes is running his offense, than going to Houston, where he doesn’t know who his quarterback would be.

It’s been an ugly offseason in Houston, and the situation does not appear to be improving.

this is officially a sh*t show

long 13 weeks coming up kids

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It seems like other people have surmised it’s a racial issue because it’s alleged that Watson wanted Bieniemy interviewed, and Bieniemy has become the latest, greatest exemplar of black coaches not getting a real shot. Watson willingly played for a diehard hillbilly in Dabo Swinney, so maybe having a black, non-hillbilly coach was never his motivation, just one that media types tried to foist upon the situation

First his reps leaked it was about Bieniemy. Then when Bieniemy interviewed poorly with other teams, the issue was the lack of attention to social injustice and the process that led to hiring Caserio (his reps made it clear they didn’t think Caserio was a bad candidate, because they didn’t want to look like idiots when they signed on with full expectation that Caserio would eventually be GM). Then it was ownership. Then it was wanting Saleh. Now it’s “bridge has been burned it doesn’t matter.” 

Now you’re telling me he’s OK playing for an owner who is/was under investigation for being insensitive to social injustices (i.e. making sexist/racist comments)? No. It only has to do with one thing: he wants to get the hell out of dodge because the Texans are a sinking ship, but he doesn’t want his teammates to think that it’s because they’re not good enough.

I want Watson as much as anyone. But let’s acknowledge realities. He wants out because he doesn’t want to waste his years with a team that’s headed for a long rebuild. He doesn’t want to become Matt Stafford. Houston will only trade him when they decide it makes sense to trade him—whether Watson requests for a trade or not.

11 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

You dont seem to get it, the #2 pick is actually worth 3 mid to late number ones, on the trade value charts. Get familiar with it before posting random, nonsensical trades. And no, the Jets are not trading all of their top picks in 2021 either.

The #2 has to be involved in any trade for us to land Watson. That's our best differentiator. 

The idea that we're going to be able to land the guy without the #2 involved is far, far less likely. Why not trade him to an NFC team at that point?

And, since the #2 only guarantees the Texans the right to roll the dice on a prospect, the Texans are well within their rights to ask for significantly more on top of that in exchange for a proven, 25 y/o FQB.

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The #2 has to be involved in any trade for us to land Watson. That's our best differentiator. 

The idea that we're going to be able to land the guy without the #2 involved is far, far less likely. Why not trade him to an NFC team at that point?

And, since the #2 only guarantees the Texans the right to roll the dice on a prospect, the Texans are well within their rights to ask for significantly more on top of that in exchange for a proven, 25 y/o FQB.

Proven is debatable .. has he made it to the Championship game yet ?

9 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I guess you missed the part about this being a starting point in the negotiations. If you've ever negotiated before, you know that you don't lead with your chin. See what they would ask for in return. If Watson truly wants out, it greatly reduces the leverage Houston would have. Giving them 3 of the top 34 picks would be a legitimate first offer.

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

First his reps leaked it was about Bieniemy. Then when Bieniemy interviewed poorly with other teams, the issue was the lack of attention to social injustice and the process that led to hiring Caserio (his reps made it clear they didn’t think Caserio was a bad candidate, because they didn’t want to look like idiots when they signed on with full expectation that Caserio would eventually be GM). Then it was ownership. Then it was wanting Saleh. Now it’s “bridge has been burned it doesn’t matter.” 

Now you’re telling me he’s OK playing for an owner who is/was under investigation for being insensitive to social injustices (i.e. making sexist/racist comments)? No. It only has to do with one thing: he wants to get the hell out of dodge because the Texans are a sinking ship, but he doesn’t want his teammates to think that it’s because they’re not good enough.

I want Watson as much as anyone. But let’s acknowledge realities. He wants out because he doesn’t want to waste his years with a team that’s headed for a long rebuild. He doesn’t want to become Matt Stafford. Houston will only trade him when they decide it makes sense to trade him—whether Watson requests for a trade or not.

Yeah, I’m not disagreeing with your report that he just wants out of the Texans. I’m saying that it would appear that social justice issues were something other people outside of Watson’s camp stapled on to it

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

What does it say? 

That we dont know what happens when someone interviews, dont know what is in their background so we go straight to the race card?

If his background was a problem, why is he a hired member of the national football league? If his background is a problem he shouldn’t be in the league period.

9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

He was responding to my post, in which I said that JD could start by offering them #2,#23 and #34. See what they ask for in a return.

well guys root for Buffalo today. if they win and Bienemy isnt hired by Monday, Tuesday the latest then Watsons leaving. 

sorry but i cant deal with this every day someone in the media tweeting....is he coming,..... going....like this team,...... doesnt like that team. cant do it for another 2 weeks.

14 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

What I will say is that the chart is loosely used by teams. In these kinds of mega trades that are literally organizational shifts, there is a lot more considered such as projected talent pool in future drafts, quantity of draft picks, estimated duration of the “rebuild”, desire to keep player out of conference... 

#2 has a tremendous amount of value. With that being said, Texans may look at this as a 3-year rebuild, and may not look to acquire a QB this year. Instead, they may value future draft picks (think what the Browns did). 

If the Jets offered say their #2, a 2022 1st, and a 2023 2nd, and the Panthers offered #7, 2022 1st, 2023 1st... the Jets deal is more valuable by the chart, but they may still take the Panthers offer because (1) more 1st round picks deeper into the future; (2) trading him out of the conference 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, doitny said:

well guys root for Buffalo today. if they win and Bienemy isnt hired by Monday, Tuesday the latest then Watsons leaving. 

sorry but i cant deal with this every day someone in the media tweeting....is he coming,..... going....like this team,...... doesnt like that team. cant do it for another 2 weeks.

13 weeks of this

So the Texans have reversed their stance on social justice that was obiviously OK 4 or so months ago?  

If nothing is going to change Watson't mind about staying with the Texans why hasn't he just demanded a trade?   IMO  the Jets, are just being jerked around here

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If we give up #2 overall and two more first, 23 this year and one next year that could be anywhere.  The jet are giving up like 5 first rounders in relative value maybe much more.

We just watched houston happily deal tier 1st to miami and then fall on their ass, both the jets and seattle could have very high picks next year.

Also I'll say again look at player value not just a number.

We can massively upgrade 3 or 4 spots on the team over the next couple of years.

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

Just assume he isn't being traded. 

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So the Texans have reversed their stance on social justice that was obiviously OK 4 or so months ago?  

If nothing is going to change Watson't mind about staying with the Texans why hasn't he just demanded a trade?   IMO  the Jets, are just being jerked around here

Jets are not being jerked around at all.  We have not even expressed interest in this.  We have no idea what Douglas is thinking.

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

you got a point but...

Bienemy, and now Leslie Frazier AND Jim Caldwell are all finialist? 

if there trying to get Watson a coach he wants to stay, and the 3 finalist are all black, well...

what are we suppose to think

45 minutes ago, doitny said:

accept for the salary cap, this would have been us if we made this trade

no 1st and 2nd rd picks. a GM who better be good at finding 2-3 day talent.

this is why i said from the start, Watson isn't picking us.

That’s wrong. We would have a 1st round pick in ‘21; ‘22 as well as all our other picks AND (wait for it....) Deshaun Watson.