2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

16 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If we don't get a trade down offer that JD deems acceptable and he takes Sewell at #2 OA I'd be OK with the #23 OA being used to pick an edge - but only if JD feels that the value is there. And if that happens I'd want JD to take a OG/C with #34 OA.

The value to build the OL wasn't there in FA so I expect JD to stick to his stated philosophy of building through the draft and stressing that, after QB, the OL/DL is the second priority of building the team.

He’s not taking Sewell at #2. It’s the QB, or it’s a trade down. If he trades down to #8 and for some reason Sewell is still there, maybe  that’s the pick. Maybe. Don’t see him getting past Cincy, though. OL and Edge are pretty likely in the #23 and #34 range, but I would not expect more than one OL in the top 35 picks. 

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

How about Denver at #9?  New GM Paton. He has to be doing something similar to what Douglas and company are doing in evaluating their QB...If they decide they really like Wilson or Fields maybe they move up to #2 to get their guy..They then can deal Lock for a pick or two... 

I ultimately think that will be the partner, but not till day #2. They will try to move up on day 1, and if not successful, JD will get the call before day #2 starts. That's if we go QB at #2, of course.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Thanks for the insights.  I think darnold to Denver makes sense, not as much to Carolina since they can draft a qb at 8 or trade up anywhere from 2 to 7 to get one.  Glad you’re hearing wilson to jets is a done deal pending physical.  

@Augustiniak I really truly believe it ! He was right about our draft pick last year !! 

14 hours ago, football guy said:

Ultimately it comes down to what the Jets can get for #2 (Wilson) vs. what they can get for Darnold. It may be easier to trade Darnold for FMV than it is to trade #2 for what they ultimately determine to be FMV, but if the pro-days conclude and the Panthers offer 3 first- and a second-round pick for #2, you can bet on that trade happening. If they play hardball and the clock ticks closer to the draft without coming close to the Jets ask, I'm guessing they would trade Darnold. All I know is they hope to have a resolution a few weeks prior to the draft. 

This is the minimum that it would take for JD to slide all the way down to #8. I'd rather see a package of a 2nd in 2021 and a 1st and 2nd in 2022. But three firsts does have a definite appeal.

Vinny Curry has been in the Jets cross-hairs for a while now. From NJ and if I understand correctly lives in Monmouth County during the offseason. 

As far as inaction at CB, I think that comes down to liking the guys we have. The coverage scheme puts less pressure on the perimeter CBs, and the pass rush additions should help a lot. The Jets really like Bryce Hall and Bless Austin. I'm not sure whether Bless is in the long-term plans, but he's a starting caliber player. If you sign a guy to a big contract, you're pretty much ruling out the chances of one of those guys playing, whereas if you draft someone and/or sign a lower-tier FA (like Rasul Douglas) you can let the 3 of them compete for snaps. 

As far as the slot, I know for sure they really like Javelin Guidry. That was one of the players mentioned during training camp as a guy they were really impressed, and his play at the end of the season validated those beliefs. Still, I would think the Jets would bring in competition there. Still time to, but clearly, it won't be a marquee addition like K'waun Williams. Could very well see Poole returning on another 1-year deal. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

If Sam is traded, I feel pretty confident it would be to the 49ers. The caveat is that I don't think it would necessarily spell the end for Garoppolo either. I think having Sam would kind of force Jimmy to restructure, and Sam would wait in the wings until there was a QB change/inevitably take over in 2022 or in 2021 if Jimmy isn't cutting it. 

6 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

This is the minimum that it would take for JD to slide all the way down to #8. I'd rather see a package of a 2nd in 2021 and a 1st and 2nd in 2022. But three firsts does have a definite appeal.

I just doubt the Panthers will offer it. I guess there's an outside chance the owner catches wind of Wilson and says "I must have him", but if the front office is controlling the process I have a hard time seeing it. There's not enough teams in the bidding to force the Panthers' hand, and there are enough alternatives (Lance, Fields, Jones) to walk away if the price is too much. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

My guess is JD, Saleh and Sam have discussed this already.

They told Sam:

1.  Everyone is tradeable for the right offer.  Just the facts.  Deal with it.

2.  With that said, barring an insane offer, you're gonna be a Jet in 2021.  But keep quiet.  We're going to play up Wilson as much as possible to get as much return value as possible.

3.  Relax Sam.  We're finally going to get you WRs, a TE, and most importantly a good oline.

4.  If ya still suck, you're gone in 2022.

The cliff notes version, and I agree with it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The cliff notes version, and I agree with it.

Can’t agree with some of this, since douglas promised darnold as much last offseason.  I also doubt he told him that barring an insane offer, you’re coming back.  That’s why they’re coaching the new wrs to say nice things about darnold.  

33 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

hahaha

i said it last night in a thread about how no teams put the high #1QB pick in a do or die fight like so many want to on this board with Sam and Zach.

and after a bunch of examples i said Minshew would be gone by the start of the season. 

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just doubt the Panthers will offer it. I guess there's an outside chance the owner catches wind of Wilson and says "I must have him", but if the front office is controlling the process I have a hard time seeing it. There's not enough teams in the bidding to force the Panthers' hand, and there are enough alternatives (Lance, Fields, Jones) to walk away if the price is too much. 

I was in the business for 30 years, and unless he's changed his stripes, nobody who works for David Tepper is controlling the process. Just a friendly word from our sponsor.?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wondering why douglas hasn’t offered them contracts.

maybe he did but it wasnt enough money.

or maybe they didnt like what hes done so far in FA. he only got 2 starters. the rest are backups and practice squad. 

if JD doesnt hit good on these draft picks, were going to suck again next year. 

55 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s not taking Sewell at #2. It’s the QB, or it’s a trade down. If he trades down to #8 and for some reason Sewell is still there, maybe  that’s the pick. Maybe. Don’t see him getting past Cincy, though. OL and Edge are pretty likely in the #23 and #34 range, but I would not expect more than one OL in the top 35 picks. 

We'll see how it plays out. I don't think a QB at #2 will happen. So, IMO, it's a really good haul for a trade down or JD makes a pick at #2. If it turns out to be a pick then JD sticks with his plan and builds a dominate OL.

Sewell fits JD's team building philosophy and OT has the lowest percentage of busting out of all the premium positions (QB, WR, CB & edge). Add in Sewell's upside of being a  perennial Pro Bowl player and possible HOF career and he fit's LaFeur's style of offense.

I'll defer to @bitontianalysis but his prior post point out that Sewell is a fantastic OT.

• Sympathy 1