Report: Watson Would Approve Trade to Jets

JetNation

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

Well, you are completely ignoring the money aspect of it.

Drafting Zach Wilson instead of trading for Deshaun Watson leaves the Jets with about $100m -$120m more in salary cap space over the next four years to sign free agents.  It's not chump change.  It can go a long way toward strengthening this extremely weak roster.

Also, I think you are underestimating the value of adding first round talents at WR and OL to this team over the next two years.  This offense is not suddenly going to become a force by upgrading the quarterback position only.  Adding blue chip talent throughout the offense is pivotal to turning this team around.

I understand the desire to add Watson.  I think it would be a good move at the right price.  Three first rounders including #2 overall is too much.  This team has too many holes, and it would be wise to utilize every pick and every dollar of cap space to rebuild it.

It could be a billion dollars in cap space and it won’t matter if Wilson isn’t good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Drafting Zach Wilson instead of trading for Deshaun Watson leaves the Jets with about $100m -$120m more in salary cap space over the next four years to sign free agents.  It's not chump change.  It can go a long way toward strengthening this extremely weak roster.

Also, I think you are underestimating the value of adding first round talents at WR and OL to this team over the next two years.  This offense is not suddenly going to become a force by upgrading the quarterback position only.  Adding blue chip talent throughout the offense is pivotal to turning this team around.

I understand the desire to add Watson.  I think it would be a good move at the right price.  Three first rounders including #2 overall is too much.  This team has too many holes, and it would be wise to utilize every pick and every dollar of cap space to rebuild it.

Money doesn't matter if we can't spend it because no top FA ever comes here unless their wife gets a job in Manhattan.

I'd love to have a cap problem for once.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It could be a billion dollars in cap space and it won’t matter if Wilson isn’t good. 

Or Wilson could be decent, or even great, and you have a ton of resources at your disposal to make this team a force for the next decade.  That's the whole debate.

If Houston wants to accept a reasonable offer (i.e. #2 overall, Sam Darnold, and a 2022 3rd round pick), then you make the deal.  If they want three first rounders including #2 and Q Williams, you take your chances on a highly regarded rookie quarterback, and try to build a quality team around him with the vast amount of resources you have.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Money doesn't matter...

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.  You can turn over half the starters on this roster in the next three years with $120m extra in cap room.

You have to hope that Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and a promising young quarterback will be enough to change the culture and attract quality free agents to this team.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The resources aren’t vast enough to bridge the gap between a “good” version of Wilson and an elite Deshaun Watson. No player drafted at 23 or 34 or in the back half of the 2022 draft is going to be worth what Watson brings. You would need to hit home runs on literally every one of those picks to compensate for a scenario wherein Watson goes to the Dolphins and makes them a contender. And if you have faith that Douglas is good enough to make the existing picks work out, then you should have faith that Douglas can find a way to make the still-ample amount of picks they’d have after a Watson trade work out, too. Except, in that scenario, Douglas isn’t clawing in the dirt for a QB.

Again, it's not just the picks, it's the money too.  Four years of a good quarterback on a rookie wage scale does wonders for a team.  People in the "Watson at all costs" camp continually gloss over this major factor.

Of course, this all hinges on Wilson becoming a quality NFL player.  This is why I continue to stress it all comes down to the Jets' evaluation of the player.  You don't take Wilson at #2 for the sake of taking a quarterback.  You take him because you did your homework and see him as a franchise quarterback.

Lets say somehow, DW can and does reenter the draft.

Honestly, what would the jags do? Take Trevor, the mystery...the unknown, or pick DW? You have to be delusional to think that the jags or any other team would take trevor over the known DW. The chances of any draft being a DW level is very slim.

So that means DW>pick 1.

Wouldnt a team that wanted to move up to 1 have to give 2 1s at least?

So now, DW is worth 3 1st round pics.

Sure the 2 might be worth 3 1s, but only IN DRAFT PICS. 3 unknown risks for 1 unknow that slightly less risky. 

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing they really want Wilson to replace Watson and therefore will need to deal with the jets. I think the Jets will ultimately be able to pull off a more reasonable deal than some on here think is possible....... Assuming they want Watson over Wilson(factoring in salary and comp)

I wouldn’t include QW and if we’re including the #2 overall then there’s no way in hell I’m giving up four 1st round picks.

The #2 is incredibly valuable and in some cases is worth multiple mid/late 1st round picks itself.

I think the most I’d offer is the #2, #23, and a 1st next year.  Maybe throw in a 2nd the following year.  That’s it.  If Houston doesn’t want that then we take Wilson and keep our other picks or we roll with Darnold and trade down with a team like Atlanta or Carolina.

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

This. If they traded with Miami I would make sure I had the most intel I could to make sure I take the QB they were hoping to get at #3.  hahahaha 

Or trade back with Atlanta or Carolina so that one of those teams gets the QB at #2.  (Both those teams being in the NFC helps as well)

• Upvote 1

The jets aren't going to land Watson. He is worth more than any picks New York can offer along with any prospects on New Yorks roster. Caserio and Houston  haven't started listening to offers so whatever Watson's camp leaks right now is meaningless because with him under contract the Texans still hold all the leverage.

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, nizculman said:

The jets aren't going to land Watson. He is worth more than any picks New York can offer along with any prospects on New Yorks roster. Caserio and Houston  haven't started listening to offers so whatever Watson's camp leaks right now is meaningless because with him under contract the Texans still hold all the leverage.

Bills fan^^

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.  You can turn over half the starters on this roster in the next three years with $120m extra in cap room.

You have to hope that Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and a promising young quarterback will be enough to change the culture and attract quality free agents to this team.

Watson is a top 3 25 year old qb that will barely be in the top 10 of QB cap hits come ‘22. Wilson is more likely to be out of the league in 3 years than ever have a year as good as Watson’s career average, which includes the highest completion percentage of all time behind one bad o-line after another. The cost difference bw Watson and Wilson is justified by the difference in guaranteed production. 

if you think the Jets could use that cap room to build a team around Wilson, you should know that the Jets already have the cap room to trade for Watson, fix the o-line, bring in a #1 wr, add multiple starters on defense, draft 5 of the top 100 players in this draft, and maintain cap flexibility going forward. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

can we for once have a FQB. guaranteed! instead of playing craps in the draft every 3 years.

everyone is worried about Watsons salary. but how do all those teams with FQB who pay big salaries for 10 plus years do it? NE, NO, PITTS. GB went from one HOF QB to another. they have been paying top dollar at QB for 30 straight years. 

but they do it right?  because a FQB makes everyone around them better.

and i think you underestimate 1st rd picks. 2/3 are busts so law of average says 2 out of those 3 picks you dont want to give up for Watson will suck. 

this is the thing i dont understand. you guys all think JD will deliver good picks with those 4 1st rd picks right?

that they will be 4 starters at least. right?

then why dont you guys trust him to find good players in rds 2-7. 

if JD hits on all those 1st rd picks and dosent hit between 2-7 we will still suck. all teams are made up mostly of players NOT from the 1st rd. 

so why dont we trade for Watson. give up those 1st rd picks and trust that JD will do just as good a job in rds 2-7 as we thought he would do with those 1st rd picks. 

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We should take the opportunity to remind the Texans that regardless of what they learned in math class at school...

2 > 3

2 > 8

Plus, that 3rd pick belongs to the Texans!! Imagine trading your franchise QB for your very own pick. 

Come to NY! 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Again, it's not just the picks, it's the money too.  Four years of a good quarterback on a rookie wage scale does wonders for a team.  People in the "Watson at all costs" camp continually gloss over this major factor.

Of course, this all hinges on Wilson becoming a quality NFL player.  This is why I continue to stress it all comes down to the Jets' evaluation of the player.  You don't take Wilson at #2 for the sake of taking a quarterback.  You take him because you did your homework and see him as a franchise quarterback.

There are a bunch of very expensive positions that the Jets don’t have to pay any time in the near future. They don’t have expensive CB’s, they don’t have expensive WRs, they don’t have to pay a big DE, and their most costly future expense will be Becton in three years. The complaint that we need a cheap QB so we can go out and get expensive CBs...what if we just drafted cost-controlled CBs and OL and spent the money on the QB who, as it turns out, is on a relative cheap deal for a player of his caliber? 

The teams that run into cap hell with their QB do so because they were already paying too-dollar everywhere else—Cowboys , Seattle, the Rams—they were stuffed with bad contracts and then tried to pay their QBs. The Jets roster is a clean slate with some young pieces and Douglas can apportion the salaries as needed. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, doitny said:

thats because guys like @68JET11 really dont want Watson.

dont worry. JD has been in the NFL long enough to know you need a great QB to go anywhere. if he doesnt then all those 1st rd picks he was going to give up better be All-Pros and 2/3 of 1st rd picks are bust. he will be fired by 2023 and never have a GM job again. 

you know what a difference is between a great QB and not.? Bill Belichick in NE, vs Bill Belichick in Clev. 

I have never stated I didn't want Watson... I would love if he were on our team, however I'm not willing to give up my entire draft for him. I'd rather start with a rookie drafted and keep all our picks. I'd even prefer to trade out of #2, to like 8 and get Lance, plus more picks while still getting a QB. There's also another option of getting Chase around 5. There are many routes to build this team. Giving away our draft picks is not my idea of how to build this team faster... it's just IMHO. You can have your own.

The Fins are going after DW and it’s not speculation from some jackass reporters down here. They are our biggest threat. It’s not even kept quite among certain players and their agents. Davie FL is a different animal than most cities, plenty of small circles of people trying to be in the know. It’s pretty funny being a Jets fan as my career has me working with some Dolphins associates working in a neutral place were people talk way too much.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Or Wilson could be decent, or even great, and you have a ton of resources at your disposal to make this team a force for the next decade.  That's the whole debate.

If Houston wants to accept a reasonable offer (i.e. #2 overall, Sam Darnold, and a 2022 3rd round pick), then you make the deal.  If they want three first rounders including #2 and Q Williams, you take your chances on a highly regarded rookie quarterback, and try to build a quality team around him with the vast amount of resources you have.

What team has been a "force" for a decade without top QB play??

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

The Fins are going after DW and it’s not speculation from some jackass reporters down here. They are our biggest threat. It’s not even kept quite among certain players and their agents. Davie FL is a different animal than most cities, plenty of small circles of people trying to be in the know. It’s pretty funny being a Jets fan as my career has me working with some Dolphins associates working in a neutral place we’re people talk way too much.

This would be devastating to the Jets chances within the division. Allen & Watson vs. a rookie Qb or Darnold. Add to this that both teams have stronger rosters than the Jets. It doesn't matter if the Jets trade #2 for additional picks. Darnold will not perform up to a level we require. Maybe he goes 6-10 and we pick around #12-15 next year. We'll have to trade up for a solid Qb.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This would be devastating to the Jets chances within the division. Allen & Watson vs. a rookie Qb or Darnold. Add to this that both teams have stronger rosters than the Jets. It doesn't matter if the Jets trade #2 for additional picks. Darnold will not perform up to a level we require. Maybe he goes 6-10 and we pick around #12-15 next year. We'll have to trade up for a solid Qb.

This is my nightmare scenario,  unfortunately I don’t have faith enough in the Jets decision at QB in this draft. I am remaining cautiously optimistic with JD and Saleh to hopefully turn things around for this franchise. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

The Fins are going after DW and it’s not speculation from some jackass reporters down here. They are our biggest threat. It’s not even kept quite among certain players and their agents. Davie FL is a different animal than most cities, plenty of small circles of people trying to be in the know. It’s pretty funny being a Jets fan as my career has me working with some Dolphins associates working in a neutral place were people talk way too much.

Damn, says a lot about what they really think of Tua 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Damn, says a lot about what they really think of Tua 

I was hesitant to post this as I am by no means an insider or claiming to have sauces. It is interesting as there is concern from the Fins if they traded Tua it could be a possible PR issue, given his time to prepare,  past injuries, etc. The trade talks have not helped his confidence in any way.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I have never stated I didn't want Watson... I would love if he were on our team, however I'm not willing to give up my entire draft for him. I'd rather start with a rookie drafted and keep all our picks. I'd even prefer to trade out of #2, to like 8 and get Lance, plus more picks while still getting a QB. There's also another option of getting Chase around 5. There are many routes to build this team. Giving away our draft picks is not my idea of how to build this team faster... it's just IMHO. You can have your own.

but your not giving up your entire draft. there are 6 other rounds. and those rounds make up 70% of NFL starters. 

and we have to consider playing defense. no not on the field. we have to block him from going to Miami. you want to see him light us up twice a year for the next 10 years? he could be our white whale. blocking us from winning the division. 

the chances of drafting a player close too or better than Watson are slim. the chances of getting players to fill the rest of the holes on the roster in rds 2-7 are much much better.

i like JD as much as the next guy but league avg says 1 out of 4 of those #1s will be a starter. even if its 2 what are we really losing. i hope he hits HRs on all 4 but the odds are against us.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I was hesitant to post this as I am by no means an insider or claiming to have sauces. It is interesting as there is concern from the Fins if they traded Tua it could be a possible PR issue, given his time to prepare,  past injuries, etc. The trade talks have not helped his confidence in any way.

It’s cool bro, I personally appreciate the intel. Even better that it’s whispers  from a rival.

Cheers ? 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, chad2coles said:

Watson is a top 3 25 year old qb that will barely be in the top 10 of QB cap hits come ‘22. Wilson is more likely to be out of the league in 3 years than ever have a year as good as Watson’s career average, which includes the highest completion percentage of all time behind one bad o-line after another. The cost difference bw Watson and Wilson is justified by the difference in guaranteed production. 

if you think the Jets could use that cap room to build a team around Wilson, you should know that the Jets already have the cap room to trade for Watson, fix the o-line, bring in a #1 wr, add multiple starters on defense, draft 5 of the top 100 players in this draft, and maintain cap flexibility going forward. 

And we know what happens when Watson isn't happy he wants out..

5 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Would Houston trade for their pick back? Different GM, true, but still embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, HighPitch said:

The 2 is a great pick, but you guys are delusional if you keep up the “2 is worth 3 1’s” narrative. 

ITS NOT.

In the end its just one pick and guys like zach can EASILY bust.

Stop it already. The number 2 pick is maybe worth 2 1s on a good day

Just to be clear: I said that there are many who think that.

Now, the number 2 as two number ones, I can get on board with.  So, theoretically, the Jets shouldn't be offering more than #2 and #23.  Three firsts.  But there have been suggestions that we should give up #2, #23, #34, 2022 #1 AND 2023 #1.  That is what is completely and utterly BONKERS.

IF you can't get Watson with #2 and #23, then you take Zach Wilson or Justin Fields is Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck.  If you don't think that, then you roll with Darnold for another year, trade down, build a better team, and then take a shot next year at a QB when you already have 2 #1's, and possibly more, if/when you trade out of #2.

58 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Taking being a Jet fan out of it if I was Watson who is from the Georgia  I would take Miami and Carolina before going to NJ..

Agreed.... but if I was Houston GM and had had Watson ruin my hopes of turning this org. around, I would not be inclined to help him having his dreams come true. I don't want to see him succeed! To the torture chamber known as the NY Jets!