Report: Watson Would Approve Trade to Jets

JetNation

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

3 1's and quinnen williams is a joke and i hope douglas doesnt do something like that

agreed. If you're already a good team (like the Dolphins) and can afford to go all in then it makes sense to mortgage the future. But not for the Jets, this would put us so far back with so many holes.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Deshaun Watson and Josh Allen dominate the AFC East for the next 10 years.

neckdemon:  Well at least we have Quinnen Williams!!

if we give away 3 1sts and williams (who is worth more than 1st by himself) then deshaun watson will do, at best, what he just did on the texans.....lead us to 4 wins

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

3 1's and quinnen williams is a joke and i hope douglas doesnt do something like that

There's no team that can offer anything that would force the Jets to offer that.

#2 is the only way they get a top 3 QB. #2, #34, '22 1st, '23 1st.  Take on the Mercilus contract if you have to.  Essentially 4 1st round picks and pay for most of Watson's cap hit by taking on Mercilus, who can be cut the following year.

The only way the Texans get a better offer than that is if they think they can build around Tua.  I don't buy it.  The Jets still have 5 of the top 100 picks after trading Darnold for a 2nd round pick, and a pick in every round of the '22 draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, chad2coles said:

There's no team that can offer anything that would force the Jets offer that.

#2 is the only way they get a top 3 QB. #2, #34, '22 1st, '23 1st.  Take on the Mercilus contract if you have to.  Essentially 4 1st round picks and pay for most of Watson's cap hit by taking on Mercilus, who can be cut the following year.

The only way the Texans get a better offer than that is if they think they can build around Tua.  I don't buy it.  The Jets still have 5 of the top 100 picks after trading Darnold for a 2nd round pick, and a pick in every round of the '22 draft.

i would do this trade. this spreads out the first that we have to give up and we still have a first in every year. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

There's no team that can offer anything that would force the Jets offer that.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing they really want Wilson to replace Watson and therefore will need to deal with the jets. I think the Jets will ultimately be able to pull off a more reasonable deal than some on here think is possible....... Assuming they want Watson over Wilson(factoring in salary and comp)

The news yesterday was that the Jets were waiting until the pro days of Wilson, Fields, etc., before making a QB decision.  Maybe Houston is dragging their heels at this point for the same reason.  Just as Joe D and crew are evaluating Darnold vs. Wilson vs. Fields, the Texans may be trying to figure out the best choice for their post-Watson QB, and are waiting to spend more time with The young QBs before making the call.  Until then, saying that they’re not trading Watson is in their best interest, as it allows the bidding war between interested teams to progress and holds open the (reportedly minuscule) possibility that Deshaun cools down and decides to talk to them.

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

As I said already, our #2, #48, and Sam Darnold. That's an offer no other team can offer. If that doesn't get it done, then we go all in with Sammy and trade down out of #2.

But don't you agree that the Jets would improve their team by offering more than that for Watson?

4 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Would be great to have Watson here but only if the price is right.  This team has a lot of holes.  We need to build through the draft and not free agency.  Give up the two first rounders from Seattle and maybe throw in a mid round pick.   Otherwise it’s not worth it at all.  

well there's no way you are getting watson and keeping the #2 pick. and to be fair, 2 late firsts are not enough to pay......

If they take the #3 package from MIA and call to move up to #2, they have to know that it will cost them almost everything they got for Watson.  Just because.

If they're happy to stay at #3 and take whichever QB falls to them, then so be it.  But I assume MIA would have to blow the doors off our offer to make that happen.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Man, this is gonna be bad if he goes to Miami. So bad. 

They're a materially better team, with more asset firepower to make the trade.

Anyone expecting the Jets to win out vs. the Phins if both are equally dedicated to getting him, lol.  Don't be silly.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, TampaJet said:

Is Watson good? Yes....  But is he 3 first rounders and Q Williams better than Darnold?     While it would  be great to have a top 5 QB,  you cant handicap your roster for the next 3-5 years to do it.  As important as the QB position is, you still have to have a strong 53 to compete.   Mahomes wouldnt be Mahomes on the Jets roster....he would be similar to the Mahomes we saw in the SB, but much worse.

Yes, because an elite, young, franchise QB is basically priceless.  

Luckily, it won't take that much to get Watson anyways.  

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

But don't you agree that the Jets would improve their team by offering more than that for Watson?

No, actually I wouldn't agree. The Jets have holes everywhere. The only thing this team has going for it is their draft capital and two decent (not great as of this moment) players to build around. Giving up anything more than what I mentioned cripples the team's ability to build the roster in a sufficient timeframe. By the time you get your roster up to snuff Deshaun Watson had lost patience with the Jets pathetic loser mentality and has asked to once.... Be TRADED.....

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anyone expecting the Jets to win out vs. the Phins if both are equally dedicated to getting him, lol.  Don't be silly.

The #2 pick is worth a lot more than the #3 when you consider that Justin Wilson has the same agent as Watson.  What is the Dolphins offer that the Jets can't match?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They do?

Pretty sure the Jets clearly have more to offer.  # 2 > # 3, plus the Jets are owners of more 1st round picks and more picks overall.

Just now, NYJ1 said:

No, actually I wouldn't agree. The Jets have holes everywhere. The only thing this team has going for it is their draft capital and two decent (not great as of this moment) players to build around. Giving up anything more than what I mentioned cripples the team's ability to build the roster in a sufficient timeframe. By the time you get your roster up to snuff Deshaun Watson had lost patience with the Jets pathetic loser mentality and has asked to once.... Be TRADED.....

So, by this thought process, if Douglas wasn't able to get 2 1st round picks for Jamal Adams, there's no way the Jets could ever field a contender, right?  Also, where are the Jets getting the 48th pick in the draft?

If seems like this is down to the Jets and Panthers.

Can the Dolphins even afford him? I read something the other day that a few guys on their roster hit their bonuses - their cap is down a few million now and when you take out the rookie money, they're in the mid-teens in terms of cap space