Richard Sherman why?

kmnj

why would the jets considering bringing in Sherman? I have seen his name mentioned a bunch as maybe coming to the Jets.

He is old and coming off an injured season-the last thing a team needs in a major rebuild is a washed vet (even most of the biggest Joe D supporters are not expecting much for us this season)  Is this just Joe shopping at the dollar store again to fill out a roster  or throwing his new coach a bone (if they sign him)

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, riggy001 said:

The answer is obvious. Every  new coach or coordinator wants to bring in a guy or two to help the team implement his system. Rex did it with Bart scott and jim leonard very successfully. Its just plain smart.

I think those guys were more in their primes but your point his well taken. 

I was about to answer but everyone else answered for me. 

I will just add that in this system, where zone schemes, route-recognition, awareness and solid tackling are so important- Sherman is still a very good CB. Yes, he's coming off an injury and he's not what he used to be but he's not 'washed up'. Not in Saleh's system. Maybe in a man-press cover system where he has to be left on an island. But not with the kind of safety help he will get in this defense. Not with the relentless pressure the Jets plan to bring. He was hurt last year and only played 5 games but still managed an INT. The year before however he had a very good season with 11 pass deflections and 3 INTs. If the Jets signed him he would immediately be their best CB- there's simply no question about it. 

On a one year deal, to reunite with Saleh, mentor the younger players, be a locker room presence, teach the system, help lock down the #1 CB spot, etc., etc., makes a ton of sense.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, riggy001 said:

The answer is obvious. Every  new coach or coordinator wants to bring in a guy or two to help the team implement his system. Rex did it with Bart scott and jim leonard very successfully. Its just plain smart.

Bart Scott could still play when Rex brought  him over. Jim not so much.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

why would the jets considering bringing in Sherman? I have seen his name mentioned a bunch as maybe coming to the Jets.

He is old and coming off an injured season-the last thing a team needs in a major rebuild is a washed vet (even most of the biggest Joe D supporters are not expecting much for us this season)  Is this just Joe shopping at the dollar store again to fill out a roster  or throwing his new coach a bone (if they sign him)

Do we know the Jets are or has it just been implied by the media because of Saleh? 

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

Leadership, experience and mentorship.

You can afford to have this as a backup QB or a rotational Dline like mcclendon or even a gore if you do not run him all the time.

You simply can't afford to have a CB in this role.

Hire him as a coach if you like but a CB that fails is looking for lost games as a result.

Also I am not sure Sherman is the type to quietly sit on the bench if it does not work out.

6 hours ago, kmnj said:

He can teach our young press corners how to use size instead of speed.  He is one of the NFL's great press corners.  A coach on the field.  Now do not get me wrong, the price must be right.  I expect he has a Jet offer in front of him, he is waiting to see if better offers and/or the promise of a starting job come his way.  I doubt that Douglas is offering either.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Bart Scott could still play when Rex brought  him over. Jim not so much.

Jim Leonard was our best punt returner since Bruce Harper.  He could not break one for a score.  But he never let it hit the ground so we never had the punt roll to the one.  As a free safety he lacked range against the pass but he always made the tackle.   Jim grew on me and was a solid Jet.   Never saw a guy do more with less.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kmnj said:

While he is still a solid CB on the field, I think it would be more about his impact on the young group of talented CB's we have on the roster. He is a passionate suporter of Saleh and his vocal attitude would be the perfect player to bring aboard where on boarding players to the Saleh system and culture.

Let's not forget the impact Ty Law had on a young Revis when he was here. Revis has said on numerous occasions how much Law impacted him as a young player.  It's important stuff for a rookie HC.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Jim Leonard was our best punt returner since Bruce Harper.  He could not break one for a score.  But he never let it hit the ground so we never had the punt roll to the one.  As a free safety he lacked range against the pass but he always made the tackle.   Jim grew on me and was a solid Jet.   Never saw a guy do more with less.

JL was not brought in to field punts or make tackles 20 yards down field. 

So wait, is this kind of like when Ed Reed was on the Jets? Anyone remember that? That was cool . . . yeah . . . only what I really remember, what stands out the most, was when the Jets could have DRAFTED Ed Reed. I was just about to get out of bed and have my feet hit the cold hardwood floor. Never mind. The covers are going over my head instead. I'll suffocate if I'm lucky.