JetNation 2021 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

I know his pro day was awful -- some of the worst testing ever for a Safety.  But I am going to trust what I saw watching games for the past 4 years.  Richard Lecounte is a ball hawk who plays faster than his 4.79 recorded on pro day.  He was in a motorcycle accident in November that left him hospitalized and caused him to miss last two months of the season.  I can't imagine he was in shape for his workout.  Boom or bust guy at the end of Round 5.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I know his pro day was awful -- some of the worst testing ever for a Safety.  But I am going to trust what I saw watching games for the past 4 years.  Richard Lecounte is a ball hawk who plays faster than his 4.79 recorded on pro day.  He was in a motorcycle accident in November that left him hospitalized and caused him to miss last two months of the season.  I can't imagine he was in shape for his workout.  Boom or bust guy at the end of Round 5.

I thought about Lecounte, but ultimately decided to go with Wiggins who is also a ballhawk that would have gone higher if not for his ACL injury (which he bounced back from already)

Pairing Wiggins with Harrison Smith (plus JaCoby Stevens playing the hybrid role) makes for a much upgraded secondary

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, King P said:

I thought about Lecounte, but ultimately decided to go with Wiggins who is also a ballhawk that would have gone higher if not for his ACL injury (which he bounced back from already)

Pairing Wiggins with Harrison Smith (plus JaCoby Stevens playing the hybrid role) makes for a much upgraded secondary

Is Wiggins the only big time college athlete to have suffered a knee injury rushing to get to class?  Wiggins is a good pick, this is the time in the draft to take a shot at an injury risk with a high celling. 

Kind of like we did last year with Bryce Hall.

• Upvote 1

Stanford's Simi Fehoko to Dallas.  I really hope Joe Douglas has this kid on his radar for a round 5 pick.  Very intrigued by his write up and watched some videos.  I think he's got a good chance to make it in the NFL.  Dallas can't pay Gallup in 2022 and is slated to pay Amari cooper $20 million each of the next 3 years.  With the payday Dak got, Dallas has to some serious roster turnover in the next 2 years.  Talent at affordable prices.  That's the consequence of Dak's contract.  Bye bye Amari Cooper after 2021 and Gallup.  Fehoko is worth the chance here. 

Tony P's write up: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/simi-fehoko-nfl-draft-player-profile-stanford-wide-receiver/

add to that: he's Mormon like Zach and even went on a Mormon mission.  We can re-name the jets playbook "the Book of Mormon Offense"  

Fehoko-1024x683.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Stanford's Simi Fehoko to Dallas. 

I like this pick and the fit in Dallas.  I think he is raw and will need some time to develop.  He might not confribute much as a rookie, but he won't need to with Cooper, Lamb and Gallup. 

The pick before yours came down to two Stanford guys -- it was either Fehoko or Dalman.  Losing Linsley and Wagner in FA and with Bakhtiari coming back from injury, I thought it was more important to add to depth on the OL, so I went with Dalman, who may need to add some strength but could be a really good fit in the Packers zone blocking scheme for 22.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like this pick and the fit in Dallas.  I think he is raw and will need some time to develop.  He might not confribute much as a rookie, but he won't need to with Cooper, Lamb and Gallup. 

The pick before yours came down to two Stanford guys -- it was either Fehoko or Dalman.  Losing Linsley and Wagner in FA and with Bakhtiari coming back from injury, I thought it was more important to add to depth on the OL, so I went with Dalman, who may need to add some strength but could be a really good fit in the Packers zone blocking scheme for 22.

There is another G/C that I’m shocked is still on the board. If only I had another pick.?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

lol so thats why you gave me a confused emoji.

cant have enough OL guys

First it was Trey Hill, then it was Adrian Ealy after taking Brady Christensen.  The Pats just signed Trent Brown and have Isaiah Wynn (former 1st), not sure they need the depth you're giving them.  I'm surprised you haven't dipped into the slot WR pool given the Pat's recent retiree (Edelman "retired") and the depth of this draft class at that position.  

But mainly, just sour grapes. 

45 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

First it was Trey Hill, then it was Adrian Ealy after taking Brady Christensen.  The Pats just signed Trent Brown and have Isaiah Wynn (former 1st), not sure they need the depth you're giving them.  I'm surprised you haven't dipped into the slot WR pool given the Pat's recent retiree (Edelman "retired") and the depth of this draft class at that position.  

But mainly, just sour grapes. 

well heres the thing: youre right! I dont know much about the Pats needs in detail as I do the Jets. I know they need  qb, wr, OL and secondary help and thats that. So, I took mac jones and a WR early on. Then I took some secondary help but at this point in the draft I go for BPA vs need. This dude was ranked among the highest left and his scouting report looked solid so I snagged him. maybe Id play him at guard who knows

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

well heres the thing: youre right! I dont know much about the Pats needs in detail as I do the Jets. I know they need  qb, wr, OL and secondary help and thats that. So, I took mac jones and a WR early on. Then I took some secondary help but at this point in the draft I go for BPA vs need. This dude was ranked among the highest left and his scouting report looked solid so I snagged him. maybe Id play him at guard who knows

OOPS nevermind........

I THOUGHT I took a WR early. I screwed up. Oh well

When doing these drafts, I always wonder if you guys draft players based on who you like/what you would do or if you actually take into account what you think the team you're picking for would do in real life based on how their team is constructed.

I decided to go BPA with the that pick even though the Vikings don't have a real need at RB (they just need an RB3). Was going back and forth between Hill and Herbert for like 10 minutes (Hill is the better player, Herbert is the better fit). But the value in Hill at this point in the draft is just too much to pass up.

If Hill was still available in the 5th come actual draft, I'd be pounding the table for the Jets to draft him lol

• Sympathy 1

I like to research and see the teams draft needs, obviously - and I attempt to match schemes (which I don’t claim to know a lot about, especially with blocking schemes and techniques and all)

Most times I try and target BPA at the position of need and go with that.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, King P said:

When doing these drafts, I always wonder if you guys draft players based on who you like/what you would do or if you actually take into account what you think the team you're picking for would do in real life based on how their team is constructed.

I decided to go BPA with the that pick even though the Vikings don't have a real need at RB (they just need an RB3). Was going back and forth between Hill and Herbert for like 10 minutes (Hill is the better player, Herbert is the better fit). But the value in Hill at this point in the draft is just too much to pass up.

If Hill was still available in the 5th come actual draft, I'd be pounding the table for the Jets to draft him lol

It’s changed over the years. I originally drafted specifically for team need, and I did a lot of research to have a realistic draft.  Then we implemented a scoring system that awarded points based on mock draft slotting vs. actual draft slotting. When that happened drafting (perceived) BPA was best strategy to scoring high, a they should draft “x” approach.  I think there may have even been a mechanism for ‘right position wrong player,’ and extra points for ‘right player, right spot’, etc.  

But that was a huge chore to score everybody and some guys found a loophole (accumulating a sh*t-ton of later round picks could yield positive scores)... now I’m back to drafting for team need, as it, in theory would provide a somewhat realistic impression of which players will drop to which round.  Which is what makes this a fun exercise for me. 

Now, when you have guys like @HighPitch drafting all the OL when the Pats clearly need WR...??

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, King P said:

Just speaking for myself, I try to do what I think makes sense for the team I am drafting for based upon thier roster contruction.  With my last pick, I really wanted to take Fehoko, who dcat grabbed right after me, but Packers have 5 veteran WRs on the roster, and i had already drafted another WR earlier.  Did not seem to make sense to add another WR that I liked when he seemingly wouldn't have a spot on their roster.  Instead I went with OL which is a bigger need for the Packers and I found a guy that I think fits their scheme.

• Upvote 2

I try and do a combination of need and value.  I chart out some positions I want to fill and then by the end of the draft usually have filled them but that does not mean I pass up a great player in one spot even if it might be not be the biggest need or even a big need at all.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

It seems to me the best way to do it is to do what you would do as a GM of a team, that's what we do this for anyway, right? To pretend we are the GM of an NFL franchise. Do what you think is best for the team, whether it's biggest need or best player available or a mix of both.

That's what I do.  I don't try to predict what the GM will do... take Washington for example... no matter what the GM wants it's Snyder's call.  I just do what I think is best for the team.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, kdels62 said:

I thought about waiting to take Zach Davidson but I missed out on Tremble because I waited so we weren’t making the same mistake again. Big, fast TE who doesn’t have to set the world on fire immediately. I don’t see a way that a WR sees the field over our top 4 players this year but I can see Davidson working the seam at some point this year.

I was taking him with my next pick. 

• Upvote 1

I was considering a running back here but there’s more options and Watkins is a late round receiver with great ability. He might end up being a big slot but he’s got deep ability and he dropped 1 ball in college. He’s a high floor prospect who might not ever be WR1 but another WR2 in round 6 is good with me.

15 hours ago, King P said:

I use this discussion thread to share my approach for the Colts. After not going OT early, for example, I’m making believe the Colts signed Villanueva.

I’ve consistently taken the approach of BPA at need positions, with some variance to “load up” at positions that are already strong. 

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I try and do a combination of need and value.  I chart out some positions I want to fill and then by the end of the draft usually have filled them but that does not mean I pass up a great player in one spot even if it might be not be the biggest need or even a big need at all.

Perfect response. pretty much what I try to do every year.Although, if I ever get the Pats, I might pick all punters.?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

Perfect response. pretty much what I try to do every year.Although, if I ever get the Pats, I might pick all punters.?

I think we could have used multiple punters these last two seasons.  Punted so many times we may have worn out our guys.  Led the league in punts attempted each year under that great offensive mind Adam Gase.  

• Sympathy 1

Just took Cole Van Lanenen with pick 198. I am hoping the Jets look at him with a 5th-6th. He's got so much potential.  I'm really looking for JD to use this draft as an opportunity to resupply the cupboards with starting and pipeline OL.  So many really good guys that will be 6ths who would be 3rd-4ths in other years. 

I also want to take a moment to thank the crew (and everyone else) @Dcat @Lith @New York Mick  @Beerfish @NYJetsVets91 for  dealing with guys like me who have been unable to make it for all of my picks.  I feel the same way every year with you guys. You do an amazing job maintaining this project and stay on top of everything perfectly.  Even though my travel internet situation has caused me to have lapses of late, I still have such a reverence for this particular Mock and a lot of it is how it's run. 

That Sheet @Beerfish & @Lith  Is nothing short of amazing. Having each orgs ratings  for each player on there is incredible!

Thanks to @Maxman for giving us to place to play these games.  :) 

I'm heading into Charlottesvill for the next 10 days so I should have more consistent internet to wrap this up. I'll try my best to stay on top of it.  

Thanks again everyone. I'm truly appreciative to be able to participate in this thing! 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I think we could have used multiple punters these last two seasons.  Punted so many times we may have worn out our guys.  Led the league in punts attempted each year under that great offensive mind Adam Gase.  

Maybe hahah 

But the one thing we DO need to do is use a pick for a young Kicker!  It's time.