New Uniform # and Rule Changes: MERGED

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-propose-rule-change-allowing-skill-position-players-to-wear-single-digit-numbers/

I would like this.  Love single digit unis in college.  

Position Current Rule Proposed Rule
QB 1-19 1-19
RB/FB 20-49 1-49, 80-89
WR 10-19, 80-89 1-49, 80-89
TE 40-49, 80-89 1-49, 80-89
OL 50-79 50-79
DL 50-79, 90-99 50-79, 90-99
LB 40-59 1-59, 90-99
DB 20-49 1-49
K/P 1-19 1-19
  • Upvote 2

I like adding it for a couple positions - single digits for RB and WRs. I'm not a fan of giving that range of numbers to so many positions. I like being able to watch players I don't know personally by number and still being able to watch the game and and be able to know what position most players are by their number. I.e. quicking identifying LBers vs Secondary 

• Upvote 2

Hate it but I just hate all change.

I even hate how few WR’s wear numbers in the 80s now, nevermind what it would be like in a few years.

But it’s inevitable that it has to grow given the absolutely stupid concept of retiring numbers exists. I hate that so much in every sport it exists unless there’s exceptional circumstances.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I'm not a fan of this. Why do they have to change stuff?

Michael Caine Muppets GIF by filmeditor

I kind of agree, as I get older I like change less and less.  Numbers help to identify player positions too.  How many QBs aren’t going to recognize there’s a LB covering the slot WR now bc he’s wearing #30?  Maybe I’m overthinking this.

I would much rather the NFL abolish the one helmet rule and allow for teams to wear throwback unis again.

But you get bonus points for the Michael Caine Muppet Christmas Carol Scrooge gif !

• Upvote 2

NFL

The NFL announced that several rule changes were approved for the 2021 season. The full list is below and most of them are technical but two that fans will like are:

• Overtime has been eliminated in the preseason
  • Jersey # Changes

Under the new rule, players will be able to wear …

Defensive backs: 1–49

Running backs, full backs, tight ends, H-backs, and wide receivers: 1–49 and 80-89

Offensive linemen: 50–79;

Defensive linemen: 50–79 and 90–99;

Linebackers: 1–59 and 90–99. https://t.co/EhTnOVX7RJ

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) April 21, 2021

Here is the full press release from the NFL Media Relations department.

Approved 2021 Playing Rules and Bylaws

1. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 16, to eliminate overtime in the preseason.

2. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 3, for one year only, to establish a maximum number of players in the setup zone.

4. By Competition Committee, Coaches Subcommittee, and Baltimore; to amend Rule 15, Section 3, Article 9, and Rule 19, Section 2, to permit the Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department to provide certain objective information to the on-field officials.

5. By Chicago; to amend Rule 11, Section 3, Article 3, to ensure the enforcement of all accepted penalties committed by either team during successive Try attempts.

6. By Los Angeles Rams; to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2, to add a loss of down for a second forward pass from behind the line and for a pass thrown after the ball returns behind the line.

7. By Kansas City Chiefs; to amend Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2, to expand jersey number options for certain positions.

Approved 2021 Bylaws Summary
2. By Competition Committee; to amend Article XII, Section 12.4 of the Constitution and Bylaws to require clubs to submit tryouts and visits to the League office throughout the entire year; however, such transactions will only be reported to clubs from the start of training camp through the conclusion of the Super Bowl, unless it is with a Restricted or Unrestricted Free Agent.

Stop by our forums to read more about the 2021 NFL rule changes and see what fans are saying.

The post Rule Changes & Jersey # Options appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/BAAlu-93SvU

Click here to read the full story...

It’s only a matter of time before they adopt the college rules whereby you can have two players wearing the same number....so a WR wearing No 10 on offence and maybe a LB wearing No 10 on defence.....as more and more teams retire numbers for great players eventually they are going to run out ....oddly enough, this shouldn’t affect us greatly!

also surprised they haven’t added 0 or 00

Number changes are for profit, not cause players want it. Players taking different numbers over their current numbers will make old uni’s dated and needing to be replaced. Additionally, getting your favorite running backs number 5 Jersey should spark a lot more sales in the short term since it will be different and exciting. NFL is a business and the NFL knows how to make money. I personally don’t care and after a year or two, we’ll be used to it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/04/22/tom-brady-slams-nfls-jersey-number-rule-dumb/amp/

Tom Brady thinks it’s going to ruin football. Guys won’t know who to block. 

SAR I

His old team liked to run weird formations so teams wouldn't know who to cover.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-bans-formation-patriots-playoff-game-ravens-article-1.2162598

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, extmenace said:

Number changes are for profit, not cause players want it. Players taking different numbers over their current numbers will make old uni’s dated and needing to be replaced. Additionally, getting your favorite running backs number 5 Jersey should spark a lot more sales in the short term since it will be different and exciting. NFL is a business and the NFL knows how to make money. I personally don’t care and after a year or two, we’ll be used to it.

Any player wanting to change his number this year needs to purchase the existing inventory of his jerseys. 

That’s just for this year. 

Not a fan of the NFL mirroring minor league football tbqh.

Gonna be funny seeing #2 throw to #3 and get tackled by #4 and #5, lol.

Jersey numbers in football served a very specific purpose: identifying what positions that player played.  Either that is or isn't something worth preserving. 

If it is, this rule change is dumb as it meaningfully dilutes that. 

If it isn't, then free up all the numbers, like Baseball, and let anyone wear any number they like.

• Upvote 1