What an offseason

This is the type of offseason that can really turn a franchise around. The offense has been revamped, the defense added a couple of nice pieces, and the coaching staff is young, energetic, and is installing proven systems.

If Zach Wilson is the real deal, this franchise is set up for success for the next decade.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I’m excited too, but I read the same enthusiastic proclamations from exuberant Jets fans in April 1996 and that didn’t end well. 

SAR I

I wonder what this message board looked like back then. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I’m excited too, but I read the same enthusiastic proclamations from exuberant Jets fans in April 1996 and that didn’t end well. 

SAR I

I hear you.  But consider this.

When was the last time that the new coach was coming to install a new system in which he believed that is not standard stuff for the NFL?  Those coaches were Parcells and Rex.  Both came with a system that thought outside the box.  Parcells and his 3-4 for which he is famous.  Rex and his simulated pressure which flummoxed the league for a few years.  Both worked out well.  To me, that is a different reason for optimism.  

Saleh's matchup zone is logical.  The league rules have created the conditions for a passing league.  It is only natural for defenses to adapt with a passing defense that uses different personnel. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

When was the last time that the new coach was coming to install a new system in which he believed that is not standard stuff for the NFL?  Those coaches were Parcells and Rex.  Both came with a system that thought outside the box.  Parcells and his 3-4 for which he is famous.  Rex and his simulated pressure which flummoxed the league for a few years.  Both worked out well.  To me, that is a different reason for optimism.  

Saleh's matchup zone is logical.  The league rules have created the conditions for a passing league.  It is only natural for defenses to adapt with a passing defense that uses different personnel. 

You had me at “passing”. 

SAR I

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It can be difficult at times to be positive rooting for this franchise.

But let me just point out a few things:

• Once I started to read about the prospective coaching prospects, I wanted Saleh. We got him.
  • I was really high on Carl Lawson in free agency and Michael Carter in the draft. We got both.
  • Two years in a row, our GM selected OL in the first, WR in the second and RB in the fourth. From a positional value perspective, I love it. From a dire need to spend premium resources on offense, I love it. 

Things that excite me:

• Quinnen, Rankins and Lawson together on that defensive line
  • Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Jamison Crowder, Elijah Moore, Keelan Cole
  • The left side of this offensive line
  • Michael Carter running the wide zone

I just can't believe how many things that I wanted to happen actually happened. This is a weird feeling, but I love it. We're not winning the division or the Super Bowl next year, but goddam it feels like the product on the field improved immensely and we'll be a fun watch for sure. 

Completely agree on all points. The biggest thing that stands out to me about this offseason - In my 15+ years following a Jets message board I can't recall a front office coming through with the offseason moves the majority of fans were hoping for. 

Not that you nessesarily want a team to blindly follow the diehard fans - We're nuts and you'd end up having a new coach and GM every year. But in following the draft threads in real time, I can't ever recall a time when a large number of fans were calling for them to draft whoever and they actually drafted that player. 

I'd go out on a limb and say a large number or posters on this site could have done a better job than our past two GMs lol. I'm just thrilled we finally have a front office that, FINALLY, seems to see what everyone else sees 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Lets go 11 DB's. DO IT Saleh.

all of that is correct and exciting....

lol but there is still a more than even chance that we are still coming in last in our division again this year.....thats just how bad we have been. We have made major upgrades at a wide variety of positions from the front office to the special teams players....

and we will still likely come in fourth...

Fug Gase

Fug Mac

On 5/2/2021 at 9:50 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

That's a lie.

Not one Jets fan was talking about Saleh, Lawson, Carter, etc. in 1996. Why do you make stuff up, man?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

Adam Gase reporting to Christopher Johnson --> Robert Saleh reporting to Joe Douglas

Dowell Loggains --> Mike LeFleur

nobody --> Greg Knapp

Sam Darnold --> Zach Wilson

Breshad Perriman, Chris Hogan, Josh Malone --> Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Keelan Cole

Alex Lewis --> Alijah Vera Tucker

Frank Gore --> Michael Carter

Henry Anderson, Steve McClendon  --> Carl Lawson, Sheldon Rankins

CJ Mosley year off --> CJ Mosley

Not a bad four months. The only areas we have not really improved are linebacker and corner. We threw our fifth and sixth rounds picks at a bunch of developmental players in those areas. If they do not really pan up, we can try again next year with picks in the earlier rounds. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 5/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

It can be difficult at times to be positive rooting for this franchise.

But let me just point out a few things:

• Once I started to read about the prospective coaching prospects, I wanted Saleh. We got him.
  • I was really high on Carl Lawson in free agency and Michael Carter in the draft. We got both.
  • Two years in a row, our GM selected OL in the first, WR in the second and RB in the fourth. From a positional value perspective, I love it. From a dire need to spend premium resources on offense, I love it. 

Things that excite me:

• Quinnen, Rankins and Lawson together on that defensive line
  • Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Jamison Crowder, Elijah Moore, Keelan Cole
  • The left side of this offensive line
  • Michael Carter running the wide zone

I just can't believe how many things that I wanted to happen actually happened. This is a weird feeling, but I love it. We're not winning the division or the Super Bowl next year, but goddam it feels like the product on the field improved immensely and we'll be a fun watch for sure. 

Let's not be premature ....

See the source image

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

No pappi. The point is it turned around fast

Well, then Joe Douglas has already failed.  Because this rebuild started in 2017 when Christopher Johnson announced it, asked for patience, left in a lame duck HC, and we Sucked For Sam.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021.  That ain't fast.  And it seems everyone is acting like Joe Douglas just got here yet he's been meddling or in complete control for 3 years and inherited a team that was already being gutted and rebuilt.

SAR I