JETS COULD BE MAJOR PLAYERS IN POST-JUNE 1 FA, BUT.........

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer6h

New York Jets could be major players in post-June 1 free agency, but ...

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Money to burn: Once again, the Jets are rolling in an abundance of salary-cap space as they head into post-June 1 free agency. The question is, will they actually use it to improve the roster?

They rank second in cap space with $25 million, according to Over the Cap, but that doesn't include a $2.8 million savings for reworking guard Alex Lewis' contract. They still have to sign their top four draft picks, which will eat up $9.1 million in space. Do the math: For practical purposes, the Jets will have a cushy $18.7 million in cap room. They can create more room by signing safety Marcus Maye to a long-term extension, lowering his current cap charge of $10.6 million (franchise tag).

A year ago, the Jets actually got worse after June 1 (see: Jamal Adams trade), as they started to collect draft capital and push cap money into the future. Well, the future has begun, but that doesn't mean general manager Joe Douglas will abandon his steady-as-she-goes philosophy.

My sense is he is open to acquiring a veteran or two to fill specific needs -- don't expect a run at Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones -- but he would be just as happy to roll the unused cap space into 2022. The cap could increase by as much as 14%, from $182.5 million to $208.2 million, per an agreement between the NFL and NFLPA. If it hits the $208.2 million ceiling, the Jets once again would be in position to be big players in free agency; they would be $67 million under that threshold, not counting the 2021 rollover.

But what about now? There are two pressing needs Douglas must address:

Cornerback. Currently, the three starters are Blessuan Austin, Bryce Hall and Elijah Campbell/Javelin Guidry (slot). The backups have very little experience. The Jets desperately need a veteran presence, but coach Robert Saleh said Thursday he wants to give the current crew a chance. A seasoned vet would "eat up" reps for the younger players, he said. That's what a coach says in late May. Something tells me he might have a different attitude in mid-August. The top free agents are Richard Sherman and Steven Nelson, neither of whom played well last season. Saleh and Sherman have a history, but the chances of Sherman, 33, playing for a non-contender on the East Coast are remote. Nelson, 28, produced mediocre coverage metrics, according to NFL Next Gen Stats, but at least he's a durable player with plenty of starting experience.

Backup quarterback. The Jets made a late run at free agent Brian Hoyer, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported, which suggests they're in the market. The Jets are prepping rookie Zach Wilson to be the opening-day starter, but they need an insurance QB/mentor. What happens if Wilson gets injured? Would they really go with Mike White or James Morgan? That would be wild. Nick Foles, who figures to be the odd man out with the Chicago Bears, makes all the sense in the world. A post-June 1 trade for a late-round pick, with the Bears agreeing to pay a chunk of the $9 million in remaining guarantees, seems like the way to go. For now, the status quo is fine because it provides much-needed reps for three young players, but they need the veteran for training camp.

2. Why Zach? The media finally got their chance to speak with offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur, who provided insight into why they drafted Wilson. Remember, the Jets picked him over other top prospects such as Trey Lance, Justin Fields and Mac Jones.

LaFleur pointed to three areas: He called Wilson a "natural thrower" with the ability to adjust his arm angle. He cited his quick decisions, whether passing or running. He also mentioned how the BYU system matched up well with the Jets' offense, noting Wilson gained a "foundation of playing under center." That, in turn, allowed him to learn play-action principles.

"You could literally see it correlate to the system we want to run, which was unique because you don't always get to see that in college," LaFleur said.

Wilson had 87 career snaps under center, according to ESPN Stats & Information research -- not a whole lot, but more than most. Fields had 61 and Jones 25. Lance had 414, which made him an outlier in college football.

3. Wilson vs. Lawrence: Saleh, a guest on the "Flying Coach" podcast with Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay and Peter Schrager, said the Jets viewed two quarterbacks as "head and shoulders" above the rest in the draft. He didn't name them, but it was an obvious reference to Wilson and Trevor Lawrence, chosen No. 1 overall by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

What makes the draft so fascinating is it's a beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder process. For instance, the Jaguars gave Lawrence a much higher grade than Wilson. Their draft board, parts of which are revealed on the team's "inside the draft" documentary, show Lawrence with an 8.0 -- the highest grade, according to the system used by many teams. Wilson has a 7.0. No other QB grades are visible.

Interestingly, the Jaguars rated guard Alijah Vera-Tucker (7.5), drafted 14th by the Jets, higher than Wilson.

4. Where are they? Two absences stood out during Thursday's practice, the first session open to the media -- wide receiver Jamison Crowder and left tackle Mekhi Becton. Maye also wasn't there, but that was no surprise, considering he's in the middle of contract negotiations.

Crowder skipped the first three practices and the previous week of on-field, non-practice workouts (all voluntary), but there has been communication between him and the organization -- a positive sign. But it's unclear why he's staying away. He's due to make $10 million (non-guaranteed) in the final year of his contract and the team just drafted his eventual replacement, Elijah Moore, with the 34th pick. The situation bears watching.

Becton, who has participated in at least one practice, was at the facility all week after missing the previous week. That he didn't practice Thursday suggests a possible injury; teams aren't required to report injuries in the offseason. Going forward, the story surrounding Becton will be his conditioning. He admitted at the end of the season that one of his goals was to drop weight. At the time, one team source said he was north of 363 pounds, his listed weight.

Saleh said they still haven't determined the best weight for Becton, adding, "We'll work with him. We'll find his weight." Becton is a special talent; the only thing that can stop him is him.

5. Better depth: Lewis, who lost his left guard job to Vera-Tucker, avoided becoming a cap casualty by agreeing to take a pay cut. That stinks for the player, but it probably will work out in the long run because it likely secures him a roster spot. It helps the team from a depth standpoint. The Jets now have seven linemen with extensive starting experience, plus Vera-Tucker and 2020 draft pick Cameron Clark. Lewis will get a chance to compete at right guard.

6. Did you know? The Buffalo Bills are entering the fourth season with the same head coach and offensive and defensive coordinators, as noted by ESPN colleague Marcel Louis-Jacques. That sort of continuity is rare in the NFL, especially for the Jets. The last time they kept their big three intact for four years was from 1985 to 1988 -- Joe Walton, Rich Kotite (offense) and Bud Carson (defense). They kind of did it from 1990 to 1993, as coach Bruce Coslet served as his own offensive coordinator with Pete Carroll as the defensive coordinator.

7. The last word: "My first reaction was, 'Typical NFL, right?' They love to bring in the fans. I love it. ... It's not like I'm so pumped because it's Sam. I'm excited because the Panthers are a great team and it's a great challenge for us. ... It has nothing to do with the fact that he was here in New York and now he's there. I'm happy for him. What a great opportunity for him to put some life into his career." -- Zach Wilson on his Week 1 matchup against Sam Darnold and the Carolina Panthers.

The reality is that the Jets will be under the cap...and that much of the reason why is that they are not paying a CB or backup QB.  If they did that, they would no longer be that under the cap. 

Eventually JD will need to be judged by wins and losses and not by whether he gets value from draft picks and contract signings.   Teams that overpay are not necessarily stupid-they need to overpay to get the last piece or two necessary to compete.  

Some on this board have made convincing cases that the Jets have sought to systematically underspend to maximize their bottom line, splurging on some big contracts when they needed to hit their minimum.  I don’t know what the answer is, but my vote would be to roll with the roster we have and carry over the money to next year-but next year we need to compete big time. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

No sorry Shane says JD is cheap and doesn’t want to win

I thought that was Bit?? Funny thing with Tommy his boyfriend Watson was 6'2 216 when the Texan's drafted him maybe that's why Tom said he was only worth a 2nd rd pick at the time??

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

New York Jets could be major players in post-June 1 free agency, but ...

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Money to burn: Once again, the Jets are rolling in an abundance of salary-cap space as they head into post-June 1 free agency. The question is, will they actually use it to improve the roster?

But @bitonti said they were cheap, so why would they spend?  

Maybe JetBlue can reimburse them?

200.gif

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I thought that was Bit?? Funny thing with Tommy his boyfriend Watson was 6'2 216 when the Texan's drafted him maybe that's why Tom said he was only worth a 2nd rd pick at the time??

Also a Bit comment.  Wilson will be broken by big, bad NFL defenders during the season.  

Bit has been horrific lately 

• Upvote 1

Even with all that cap space it makes no sense to bring in anyone unless they are better than the guys currently on the team.  Cimimni seems to be intent on them getting Sherman buts does this actually help? The whole mentoring sounds nice but doesn’t seem to produce much bang for the buck.  These guys want to play and don’t necessarily want to be back ups.  QBs might be a special case since the position is that important.  Of course the jets went 2-1 with Quincy carter backing up chaddy so if the rest of the team is sound then it just reduces the need.

• Upvote 2

This may be a dumb question but if a team is under the cap by a decent amount, doesn’t it make sense to accelerate the pay of certain guys so that we will have more capnroom in the future?

Why would we want to stay $10 MM under the cap ina particular year? Wouldnt it be wiser to give more money this year to a q Williams or m bechton so they can count less on the cap in future years allowing us more flexibility?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Don’t know how it hurts to get Richard Sherman or a vet corner in here. The young guys will get plenty of reps no matter what. The injuries alone will assure all three of those guys get at least four starts in the season even if we sign a vet. (more than they would get on most teams)

Burn Baby Burn

wat.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Also a Bit comment.  Wilson will be broken by big, bad NFL defenders during the season.  

JetBlue airlines has agreed to match unused cap space with frequent flier miles. Talk about rollover! 

thanks for your interest in travelling with JetBlue. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

JetBlue airlines has agreed to match unused cap space with frequent flier miles. Talk about rollover! 

thanks for your interest in travelling with JetBlue. 

It sounds worse the more you keep repeating this.

Thanks for making my point of being horrific 

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe our coaches who worked with him, those left in SF know how little he has left?

wat.jpg

I believe he'd become a great veteran leader with familiarity within Saleh's Defense featuring nothing but young and unproven CBs. 

However that's just my opinion but maybe you're right and coach Saleh knows a lot more about Sherman than all of us. 

I'd honestly love to sign both Steven Nelson and Richard Sherman with both Hall and Bless learning/developing under them. 

4 hours ago, Larz said:

No sorry Shane says JD is cheap and doesn’t want to win

Last year certainly left that impression with the trades of Leo and Adams.  Adams shot his way out of town so I understood that move when you consider the overall compensation.  But Leo is a scheme and position versatile defensive lineman.  He can play inside out and can one gap or two gap.  He makes any team in the league better.  If he were still here, he would start next to Quennen.  I considered his trade impossible to understand unless Leo made it quietly clear that he was leaving and we had to trade him or lose him.  Which is what I think occurred.  It is the sort of thing that happens to bad teams. 

4 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Don’t know how it hurts to get Richard Sherman or a vet corner in here. The young guys will get plenty of reps no matter what. The injuries alone will assure all three of those guys get at least four starts in the season even if we sign a vet. (more than they would get on most teams)

I was all aboard the Richard Sherman train until the draft and undrafted free agency.  We took so MANY defensive backs that to sign a veteran virtually guarantees that we cut one of our draft picks without even giving them a chance to compete.   And that is before you consider the undrafted free agents, one of whom received a serious signing bonus.  Moreover, Sherman surely has offers on the table and is not going to sign a one year deal for short money. 

We were 2-14.  We are not good enough to hurl a multiyear contract at an aging veteran and force draft picks onto the bench or even off the roster.  Nor are we wedded to any particular draft pick or current veteran.  There is an all out derby for jobs and playing time afoot on the Jets.  If somebody stumbles, there is a hungry draft pick just waiting for an opportunity.  In fact there are several.   

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Nick Mullens and Richard Sherman come on down!!!!!!!!!

As for Nick Mullens, if he comes in at the minimum and is healthy, then perhaps.  All evidence points to Zach as the day one starter, so what is the rush?   Right now I cannot add anybody unless I truly believe we intend to start them until Zack is ready.    I will bring in a veteran at the minimum after final cuts if Morgan proves unworthy in training camp.  I think that the cuts will provide Douglas with better choices anyway.  Mike White can be the third QB who is inactive on game day. 

Lets face it fellas, if Zach goes down do you honestly believe that Nick Mullens or Brien Hoyer is going to save the season?  Wouldn't you rather see Morgan?  I think the answer is clear to both questions.

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

We will sign nobody

That is how I see it.  We filled up on draft picks.  Perhaps a trade, but signings are unlikely at this point. 

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Hope there are some surprise cuts by teams in cap he’ll like the Saints

This.   Douglas has been active on the waiver wire since the moment he arrived and has traded late round picks for guys who can help before they are cut.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

The reality is that the Jets will be under the cap...and that much of the reason why is that they are not paying a CB or backup QB.  If they did that, they would no longer be that under the cap. 

Eventually JD will need to be judged by wins and losses and not by whether he gets value from draft picks and contract signings.   Teams that overpay are not necessarily stupid-they need to overpay to get the last piece or two necessary to compete.  

Some on this board have made convincing cases that the Jets have sought to systematically underspend to maximize their bottom line, splurging on some big contracts when they needed to hit their minimum.  I don’t know what the answer is, but my vote would be to roll with the roster we have and carry over the money to next year-but next year we need to compete big time. 

A nice clean post.  I agree and think that the Jets intend to shake out the current roster before adding players. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

But @bitonti said they were cheap, so why would they spend?  

Maybe JetBlue can reimburse them?

200.gif

Is that Dennis Rodman?

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Bitonti can be criticized when the Jets start winning.  Since we are losing badly his criticisms are as accurate as any other explanation for our total ineptitude.  Last season the offensive line and wide receiver corp utterly collapsed.  I was worried going into training camp.  When the injury bug hit, our lack of depth was so badly exposed I doubted we would compete.  I was right.  Sometimes a negative "dark side" take on the situation is accurate. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Even with all that cap space it makes no sense to bring in anyone unless they are better than the guys currently on the team.  Cimimni seems to be intent on them getting Sherman buts does this actually help? The whole mentoring sounds nice but doesn’t seem to produce much bang for the buck.  These guys want to play and don’t necessarily want to be back ups.  QBs might be a special case since the position is that important.  Of course the jets went 2-1 with Quincy carter backing up chaddy so if the rest of the team is sound then it just reduces the need.

I agree.  We need to sort out what we have with the new coaching staff before we can start signing players.  We were 2-14.  We must crawl before we can walk, much less run.

2 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

This may be a dumb question but if a team is under the cap by a decent amount, doesn’t it make sense to accelerate the pay of certain guys so that we will have more capnroom in the future?

Why would we want to stay $10 MM under the cap ina particular year? Wouldnt it be wiser to give more money this year to a q Williams or m bechton so they can count less on the cap in future years allowing us more flexibility?

Stop it right now.  You are making too much sense.  How dare you?

32 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I believe he'd become a great veteran leader with familiarity within Saleh's Defense featuring nothing but young and unproven CBs. 

However that's just my opinion but maybe you're right and coach Saleh knows a lot more about Sherman than all of us. 

I'd honestly love to sign both Steven Nelson and Richard Sherman with both Hall and Bless learning/developing under them. 

If we had not filled the draft board with defensive backs, I could see the reasoning.  But it would cancel out many of our picks without giving them a chance.  Given the money handed out to the undrafted free agent Dunn, I think the tea leaves argue against bringing in a veteran. 

• Upvote 2

If we had not filled the draft board with defensive backs, I could see the reasoning.  But it would cancel out many of our picks without giving them a chance.  Given the money handed out to the undrafted free agent Dunn, I think the tea leaves argue against bringing in a veteran. 

You win longest post contest ... I give up.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It's my tendency to believe that JD will only utilize FA to improve the 2nd and 3rd string on the team? JD really didn't make that big splash in FA. Just maybe 3 starters? On a team that needs help everywhere. He could have spent like a drunken sailor but that's not JD's MO. Instead, IMO he'll roll that cap into future years and continue to build a starting cast through the draft.

You have to give JD credit for his McGovern, Fant and even Lewis signings because he was building the OL for multiple years.  Lawson and Davis are signed for multiple years.  So you can say he is trying to build the team.

If the Jets want to fill their hole at CB and QB, it would likely be with a one year contract.  So do the Jets want to shell out $mms to players only here this year if the team is not going to make the playoffs anyway?   Like they did with Flacco.  Flacco could have actually won the Jets games and taken them out of the Wilson/Lawrence sweepstakes.   So if I was JD, I would play the QBs and CBs we have, roll with it.

For 2022, he can fill the holes however he needs to, and I think he is better off using cap space carried forward from this year.  

On 5/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, clayton163v said:

Bitonti can be criticized when the Jets start winning.  Since we are losing badly his criticisms are as accurate as any other explanation for our total ineptitude.  Last season the offensive line and wide receiver corp utterly collapsed.  I was worried going into training camp.  When the injury bug hit, our lack of depth was so badly exposed I doubted we would compete.  I was right.  Sometimes a negative "dark side" take on the situation is accurate. 

He can be criticized from when he stopped posting football and became troll.   The Jets dont have to start winning for any of us to not buy the loony idea that the Jets dont spend money, that the Johnsons are cheap and that they drafted Wilson because Jet Blue is a supporter of the team.  As bad as Wilson wont succeed because of his uncles involvement with Jet Blue.  Those are either total nonsense or a provable error in thinking

Sometimes people think theyre right when theyre not.  Like if someone blamed injuries in a COVID year to some kind of foolish idea that it was an organizational problem that caused those injuries.  

Sometimes people who lack understanding just blame everything on the team and think the negative, dark side came through. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He can be criticized from when he stopped posting football and became troll.   The Jets dont have to start winning for any of us to not buy the loony idea that the Jets dont spend money, that the Johnsons are cheap and that they drafted Wilson because Jet Blue is a supporter.  Those are either total nonsense or a provable error in thinking

Sometimes people think theyre right when theyre not.  Like if someone blamed injuries in a COVID year to some kind of foolish idea that it was an organizational problem that caused those injuries.  

Sometimes people who lack understanding just blame everything on the team and think the negative, dark side came through. 

Yes. Like him labeling both Mims and Becton as "injury prone" despite the fact that neither player was ever injured throughout their NCAA career(s). 

Getting banged up as a rookie during an offseasonless pandemic year doesn't mean these kids are "injury prone". 

Crap drove me nuts last year. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yes. Like him labeling both Mims and Becton as "injury prone" despite the fact that neither player was ever injured throughout their NCAA career(s). 

Getting banged up as a rookie during an offseasonless pandemic year doesn't mean these kids are "injury prone". 

Crap drove me nuts last year. 

If youre a football expert as he portrays himself you would understand that the injuries the Jets dealt with were similar to most teams last year.  That they didnt have the depth that the top teams had wasnt shocking to anyone was it?  A rebuilding team that gutted its lineup didnt have lots of depth?  

Shocking

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If youre a football expert as he portrays himself you would understand that the injuries the Jets dealt with were similar to most teams last year.  That they didnt have the depth that the top teams had wasnt shocking to anyone was it?  A rebuilding team that gutted its lineup didnt have lots of depth?  

Shocking

I just don't understand how @bitonti literally pounded the table for Becton on draft night... Only to label him as "injury prone" due to a petty injury. 

If he's so "injury prone" why the heck were you screaming for him on draft night? 

?

• Upvote 1

NY beat writers agendas get old. Not only does nothing suggest that the Jets will be major players in post June 1 free agency, but it is also extremely likely that we will not even be small players. Joe Douglas have pretty much flat out told you they are happy with the QB situation, and excited about Morgan as backup, and flat out said they are not bringing in a veteran corner. Maybe they do something towards end of training camp but until then it seems they are completely content to roll with what they have. All rookie and no QB competition is a nightmare for the Jets beat writers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

NY beat writers agendas get old. Not only does nothing suggest that the Jets will be major players in post June 1 free agency, but it is also extremely likely that we will not even be small players. Joe Douglas have pretty much flat out told you they are happy with the QB situation, and excited about Morgan as backup, and flat out said they are not bringing in a veteran corner. Maybe they do something towards end of training camp but until then it seems they are completely content to roll with what they have. All rookie and no QB competition is a nightmare for the Jets beat writers. 

The GM told us his plans for FA?  

And youre going to take him at his word?

He didnt flat out say he wasnt going after a CB in June.  He didnt say he was happy with the QB situation 

They may or may not sign a couple of players.  Or they might.  Will have nothing to do with a presser JD gave in May

19 hours ago, flgreen said:

Becton, who has participated in at least one practice, was at the facility all week after missing the previous week. That he didn't practice Thursday suggests a possible injury; teams aren't required to report injuries in the offseason. Going forward, the story surrounding Becton will be his conditioning. He admitted at the end of the season that one of his goals was to drop weight. At the time, one team source said he was north of 363 pounds, his listed weight.

Saleh said they still haven't determined the best weight for Becton, adding, "We'll work with him. We'll find his weight." Becton is a special talent; the only thing that can stop him is him.

I'll say it, Becton worries me for a few reasons; weight and condition make him a constant injury concern.  And I think he will take any excuse of an injury, not to play Football.  Not sure homeboy has a passion but rather, see's this as a pay check.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, flgreen said:

Cornerback. Currently, the three starters are Blessuan Austin, Bryce Hall and Elijah Campbell/Javelin Guidry (slot). The backups have very little experience.

Can anyone explain why Cimini projects Elijah Campbell as a starter.  The guy played two snaps on defense last season, which are the only live defensive snaps he has gotten in his NFL career.  Lamar Jackson had 450+ reps on defense last year.  Top 4 guys are Austin, Hall, and Jackson/Guidry in the slot. 

I don't disagree that we may add a veteran to this group, but I doubt Elijah Capbell makes the team, much less starts.

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'll say it, Becton worries me for a few reasons; weight and condition make him a constant injury concern.  And I think he will take any excuse of an injury, not to play Football.  Not sure homeboy has a passion but rather, see's this as a pay check.

That’s 100% unfounded speculation. You are a verified troll 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1