Trade Mims for a starting TE

10 minutes ago, undertow said:

This board went from Douglas is a genius for drafting Denzel Mims to lets trade him for Hayden Hurst pretty quickly.

Hey, that’s unfair. We not a knee jerk fanbase. Jury still out on Darnold.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

If Mims gets pushed out of crowded talented WR room, is there a starting caliber TE out there that might be available?

I know Blake  Jarwin is back and #1 with Cowboys putting Dwayne Schultz back on pine after very solid year.. 

Others? Zach Ertz?

You keep him.

Denzel Mims Rookie Season from JetNation.com - YouTube

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

If Mims gets pushed out of crowded talented WR room, is there a starting caliber TE out there that might be available?

I know Blake  Jarwin is back and #1 with Cowboys putting Dwayne Schultz back on pine after very solid year.. 

Others? Zach Ertz?

tenor.gif?itemid=14121532

13 hours ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Mims arguably still has the highest ceiling of any WR on the team given his frame and athleticism.. I get why people are uncertain how he’ll pan but we haven’t even got to training camp yet so let’s slow down on trade talk. Also there is no unproven TE worth trading him for and likely no proven TE that we could net for Mims.

Agreed, don't judge him on one season with gase, why do jets fans right people off instantly. I think he could be great.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, undertow said:

This board went from Douglas is a genius for drafting Denzel Mims to lets trade him for Hayden Hurst pretty quickly. lol  I knew things would move in this direction eventually wait until people realize we passed up on Claypool and how good he is.

One poster, maybe, lol. 

But, I do believe that Douglas stuck at #34 and took Moore because maybe in hindsight he decided that he got a little too cute in the second round in his first draft. 

I still like Mims a lot, but he has to stay on the field. Easily his #1 issue. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

A real thread that’s discussing trading Denzel Mims for Zach Ertz. What a message board. 

Bad ideas often have longer threads around here than good ones, generally -like this one- mostly discussing how bad the idea is. 

• Haha 2

Such a dumb thread. Mims showed some promise last year, his rookie covid plagued year, why would you trade him? Also, if he sucks who's trading a starting TE for him? He's big, athletic, likes to block, plays aggressive. There's a lot to like. It isn't his fault he played his one season with a QB that can't read a D under a HC who was just a hot mess.

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The Morgan Moses deal showed this is a buyers market. Trading Mims for a TE would be crazy right now even if you don’t believe in Mims.

Ertz will get cut and sign for like 1yr $4m or $5m just like Moses. Just wait for cuts.

Philly only has $2.7M in cap space, I don’t know where they are signing their rookies. Cutting or trading Ertz gives them $8.5M more. Problem for them is that no one is trading for Ertz’ 2021 salary. He’s cheap the following two years, but it’s questionable what he has left in the tank this year let alone three years down the road. He’s a likely cut, and the Jets are still one of the only few teams who can afford to pay anything. If Moses maxed out at $5M/one year, what does Ertz get in the open market? 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Others? Zach Ertz?

Easily this has to be on the Top 10 of Most Horrible Ideas of the Off-season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, slats said:

Problem for them is that no one is trading for Ertz’ 2021 salary.

Agreed. Hoping he’s cut. Has connections with JD and he will be a starter on Jets. Won’t have to move family, WC offense features TE heavily, young gunslinger QB. Match made in heaven!

19 minutes ago, slats said:

Cutting or trading Ertz gives them $8.5M more.

Actually there is $4.2 mil in dead money so really they’re only saving $4m… correct?

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, slats said:

If Moses maxed out at $5M/one year, what does Ertz get in the open market? 

I honestly thought Morgan was going to get something closer to like 3 years $8m per year. Turns out I’m closer to Macchiato than I am Joe Douglas. Joe has a really good handle of the market. Ertz will have options, but I think us running the WCO would be a great selling point. Even if he has regressed, he’s still a lot better than the TEs we have on roster.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetHammer said:

Agreed, don't judge him on one season with gase, why do jets fans right people off instantly. I think he could be great.

For all the talk about how we can’t judge Darnold with these weaponz how the heck can we judge Mims with the worst HC/OC/QB combination in maybe football history?

I’m an optimist. The weaponz were held back and are better than last year would indicate. Everyone accepted that Mims was a raw project and ran a truncated route tree in college. You don’t give up on a guy like that after one year in the circumstances described above. Trading now would be the ultimate “buy high/sell low” move.

• Upvote 3

Just a FYI,, my OP was just to get folks talking since shanahan scheme needs dominant TE. IF Mims traded onviously with TEs out there we would expect high draft pick back as well,,

I love Mims and want to see him in this scheme but I wanted a discussion of what TEs might be available if Saleh thinks he wants a different TE this year than what we have.

What TEs out there that you would like on Jets and think Jets could swing a deal for ANY player on roster

• Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Sounds just like the kind of shade people were throwing on Q last year. Let's hope things work out the same way.

No shade, I like him,,he used as example of guy to lure a TE,,, 

I think LaFleur will search for a TE

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Just a FYI,, my OP was just to get folks talking since shanahan scheme needs dominant TE. IF Mims traded onviously with TEs out there we would expect high draft pick back as well,,

I love Mims and want to see him in this scheme but I wanted a discussion of what TEs might be available if Saleh thinks he wants a different TE this year than what we have.

What TEs out there that you would like on Jets and think Jets could swing a deal for ANY player on roster

I wonder if Shanahan’s system needs a dominant TE or if he just did a great job using one since he had one. Maybe some X and O guys have some insight on this?

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. Hoping he’s cut. Has connections with JD and he will be a starter on Jets. Won’t have to move family, WC offense features TE heavily, young gunslinger QB. Match made in heaven!

Actually there is $4.2 mil in dead money so really they’re only saving $4m… correct?

No, his total cap charge is now @ $12M, they’d save over $8M. I think it’s pretty likely that the Eagles approach him to either take a pay cut or be cut. 

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I wonder if Shanahan’s system needs a dominant TE or if he just did a great job using one since he had one. Maybe some X and O guys have some insight on this?

Kyle Shanahan’s use of tight ends in Atlanta offers an interesting angle on his shrewd offense. They don’t actually pile up that many yards; in the 2016 regular season, Falcons TEs totaled 788 yards, just 15 percent of the team’s receiving total. (The Niners gained 833 TE yards, more than a quarter of their less productive passing game, in part because there were so few good alternatives.)

But Atlanta’s tight ends play a crucial role that goes beyond just blocking on run plays. Shanahan uses them cleverly to deceive and spread out defenders, on pass plays as much or more than runs. How can you not love a 4 Verticals play where 2 tight ends and a running back are going deep -- and Julio Jones is your checkdown?

In particular, Shanahan uses more 13 personnel formations (with one running back and 3 tight ends) than other NFL coaches, and moves his TEs across the formation both pre- and post-snap to manipulate defensive spacing. There aren’t good global statistics for either move — see my technical note below — but when you look at Atlanta’s touchdowns and explosion plays, one or both of these tactics is often there.

Like running backs, tight ends have a much bigger influence in the Shanahan scheme than for most other teams. Due to the effectiveness of the play design, tight ends consistently get open and have the opportunity to add yards after the catch. So the key facet for a tight end in the Shanahan scheme is to be able to add yards after the catch.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Kyle Shanahan’s use of tight ends in Atlanta offers an interesting angle on his shrewd offense. They don’t actually pile up that many yards; in the 2016 regular season, Falcons TEs totaled 788 yards, just 15 percent of the team’s receiving total. (The Niners gained 833 TE yards, more than a quarter of their less productive passing game, in part because there were so few good alternatives.)

But Atlanta’s tight ends play a crucial role that goes beyond just blocking on run plays. Shanahan uses them cleverly to deceive and spread out defenders, on pass plays as much or more than runs. How can you not love a 4 Verticals play where 2 tight ends and a running back are going deep -- and Julio Jones is your checkdown?

In particular, Shanahan uses more 13 personnel formations (with one running back and 3 tight ends) than other NFL coaches, and moves his TEs across the formation both pre- and post-snap to manipulate defensive spacing. There aren’t good global statistics for either move — see my technical note below — but when you look at Atlanta’s touchdowns and explosion plays, one or both of these tactics is often there.

Like running backs, tight ends have a much bigger influence in the Shanahan scheme than for most other teams. Due to the effectiveness of the play design, tight ends consistently get open and have the opportunity to add yards after the catch. So the key facet for a tight end in the Shanahan scheme is to be able to add yards after the catch.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, slats said:

No, his total cap charge is now @ $12M, they’d save over $8M. I think it’s pretty likely that the Eagles approach him to either take a pay cut or be cut. 

Makes sense…. Thanks. 
Jalen Hurts vs. ZW. Very solid OL vs. “Meh” Very deep WR room to take top off defense and open middle of field. JD able to offer a reasonable 2 year deal and a Head Coach and OC people love.