Joe D getting a raw deal

AFJF

9 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

That works out to about a million and a half dollars.  Not sure that means much to Billionaires 

You gotta check your bank account.  It’s not earning that interest. 

it’s at best 1 percent for the year or half a percent for 6 months.  It’s 100k. 

that seems stupid for woody to fight over. 

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

It has now been reported by multiple outlets that it's about offsets (which is idiotic) as well as the Jets wanting Wilson to defer his bonus money.  Several teams pay out their top picks within 30 days of signing.  The Jets want Zach to take part of it now and part of it next year.  It's literally his money.  Imagine  you doing a job where you earn 10K and your boss says he'd like you to take 5K today and 5K 8 months down the road so that he can hang on to your cash for you.

It’s literally the exact opposite.  

he’s getting paid the majority of his income right away before working. 

and by the way lots of office jobs have deferred compensation.  

9 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Well, they did hire him, and then let him have one more FA and draft period knowing they were going to fire him. So there's that. If the Johnsons were telling JD to try to hold onto the money, yes, it would be their fault and it isn't convenient.    

This argument is senseless. If the Steelers do it, “it’s an organization’s decision not to cave in” and everyone claps. But if Jets do it, “the owners are greedy”. 

In other words, you’re saying a GM is a puppet. Why bother paying him millions then? Owners probably give their input on major moves. But not on nickel n dime decisions. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

This argument is senseless. If the Steelers do it, “it’s an organization’s decision not to cave in” and everyone claps. But if Jets do it, “the owners are greedy”. 

In other words, you’re saying a GM is a puppet. Why bother paying him millions then? Owners probably give their input on major moves. But not on nickel n dime decisions. 

Soccer Waiting GIF by SWR Kindernetz

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Zach got his money.  Jets will have to live with it.

Time for football.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dcat said:

There is no such mandate.  You're making things up again. Unless it's your personal mandate in which case no one gives a crap.

winnable.jpg

Tell me, what would you be satisfied with in terms of wins for this season?

The schedule is easy, we only face 3 legitimate quarterbacks, we have a 9th home game, we have a neutral site game, and we face Tampa and Buffalo in the last two weeks of the season where they will most likely be resting their starters.

I see 10 winnable games, maybe 12, and expect them to walk away with 8.  How is that unreasonable?

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

winnable.jpg

Tell me, what would you be satisfied with in terms of wins for this season?

The schedule is easy, we only face 3 legitimate quarterbacks, we have a 9th home game, we have a neutral site game, and we face Tampa and Buffalo in the last two weeks of the season where they will most likely be resting their starters.

I see 10 winnable games, maybe 12, and expect them to walk away with 8.  How is that unreasonable?

SAR I

Do your research on the history of W-L record for rookie QBs in the past 20 years or so and get back to me.  Sure it can be done and has been done on really good teams.  I guess the Jets are a really good team in your eyes.  I agree that they can be a good team.  I have to see it first.  And a winning record just doesn't play out often for starting rookies in the NFL.   

I won't be upset with fewer wins if the team shows regular improvement, desire and progress.  Particularly at the QB position.  I sure as hell won't be using a random cut off number as my end-all excuse to repeatedly atttack Douglas.  Do you know it's boring already?  Record time, even for you.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I sure as hell won't be using a random cut off number as my end-all excuse to repeatedly atttack Douglas.  Do you know it's boring already?  Record time, even for you.

What's boring are people who act like Joe Douglas is brand new, that he just joined the team, that he and Saleh are in Year 1.

Dick Steinberg got 4 years.  Bill Parcells got 4 years.  Terry Bradway got 5 years.  John Idzik got 2 years.  Mike Maccagnan got 4 years.

Joe Douglas is in his 3rd year. 

It's time for results.  That means wins, not feel-good losses.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What's boring are people who act like Joe Douglas is brand new, that he just joined the team, that he and Saleh are in Year 1.

Dick Steinberg got 4 years.  Bill Parcells got 4 years.  Terry Bradway got 5 years.  John Idzik got 2 years.  Mike Maccagnan got 4 years.

SAR I

Some truth to that. But pretty sure he will be given the length of his contract. I don’t know what it is and I’m not looking it up because I’m sure you know. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Some truth to that. But pretty sure he will be given the length of his contract. I don’t know what it is and I’m not looking it up because I’m sure you know. 

2025, four more years.

But we need to see some results right now.  Becton was a consensus no-brainer.  Every other player Douglas added to the team in 2020 contributed to a 2-14 season.  He did not put Sam Darnold in a position to win.  He let Jamal Adams go.  He gifted the New York Giants a pro bowl lineman.  We got a rock.

I feel good about our 2021 draft.  Yay.  But we felt good about the 2020 draft too.  Boo.

Show me some wins, that's all.  Schedule is easy.  Rookie HC's and rookie QB's have won in this town in their first year under this same ownership.  8 seems very fair.  None of this "four wins is progress" nonsense.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2025, four more years.

But we need to see some results right now.  Becton was a consensus no-brainer.  Every other player Douglas added to the team in 2020 contributed to a 2-14 season.  He did not put Sam Darnold in a position to win.  He let Jamal Adams go.  He gifted the New York Giants a pro bowl lineman.  We got a rock.

I feel good about our 2021 draft.  Yay.  But we felt good about the 2020 draft too.  Boo.

Show me some wins, that's all.  Schedule is easy.  Rookie HC's and rookie QB's have won in this town in their first year under this same ownership.  8 seems very fair.  None of this "four wins is progress" nonsense.

SAR I

It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken!!!

58 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2025, four more years.

SAR I

I don’t think the owners or majority of the fan base feels the same way.  Maybe he has then fooled?  I’m here for you though, got you. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

yep and parcells was in the AFC championship with a team that was 1-15 when he got there

the bar should be 8 wins in my eyes

6 wins or less would be beyond awful 

4 wins or less and tell me who to write the check to for the plane

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I don’t think the owners or majority of the fan base feels the same way.  Maybe he has then fooled?  I’m here for you though, got you. 

Camp Day 1:

Mims 4th stringer.

Becton Lawson's personal turnstile.

Wilson meek turnover machine.

Fickenshank.

Saleh processprocessbrakegasbrakeadversityprocessprocess.

Douglas not speaking to media.

Woody calling Korn/Ferry.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Camp Day 1:

Mims 4th stringer.

Becton Lawson's personal turnstile.

Wilson meek turnover machine.

Saleh processprocessbrakegasbrakeadversityprocessprocess.

Douglas not speaking to media.

Woody calling Korn/Ferry.

SAR I

Yes, Mims is being shown  by the coaches “ No free lunch” (honestly I find that cruel.) His  draft status means nothing, like everyone else needs to earn his way. Bravo! 

Becton  is a big softy with delicate feet. Coaches using vet with no pads on to humble him a bit, light the fire in his belly, learn how to play through it, basically galvanize that bitch. 

Zak was not used to tossing the Rock without rocking his sweet Gucci shades. Coaches install plays to show him he ain’t nothing but a rookie and put him in that place he was when he took the BYU QB position over to put up one of the greatest college QB performances in a bit. Positioning him to succeed, reminding him he ain’t nothing till he is! Miss practice? Twice? Bitch please!! This the NFL, this is NY. Let’s go!! 

Saleh is literally putting the fire to the balls  of all these young guys he expects to be the backbone of his team. No free lunch, no rock stars, just a team of young guys who go “ All gas  no brakes” of they GTFO! Reminds me of my childhood. 

“ Big Boned Joe “ ain’t got nothing to say. He’s in his office, wanting to get on the top rope and Jimmy “superfly Snuka” everybody. If he came out and did the obligatory “ we got work to do” Is power  drive him myself into the floor myself . I respect the message he’s sending. Go hard BBJ! 

• Post of the Week 1

Zach's start today shows JD isn't getting unfair treatment.   This will be a small blip in the long run, but it makes me go hmmmm.   

He "won" a stupid battle but put himself closer to losing the war while doing it.   Dumb dumb dumb.  

Also @SAR I 's interpretation of JD's time might be right.  We have limited data but the circle jerks about cap space and not signing the teams best defensive player are questionable. Last year's draft isn't looking great right now.  

The contract negotiation made me see the negative view of JD might be the right one.  Stepping over dollars to pickup dimes is SOJ stuff.  I'd like to see the Jets stop being one of the league leaders in open cap space.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

2025, four more years.

SAR I

SAD but true.   I like what I am seeing but we are a 10 year in a row losing team basically and have become a bottom 3rd team.   let’s see a team actually compete and then we can all blow smoke up JDs ass.  right now, he owns a 2 and 14 record.    

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, batman10023 said:

We’re gonna compare a football player with an average life span of 6 years to an office worker?   BTW deferred comp in an office is almost always voluntary.  Not forced on you unless it’s ISOs or  similar. 

18 hours ago, batman10023 said:

You gotta check your bank account.  It’s not earning that interest. 

it’s at best 1 percent for the year or half a percent for 6 months.  It’s 100k. 

that seems stupid for woody to fight over. 

Do you think Woody has any significant amount of his money in a savings account? I mean, that’s kind of a stupid assumption. I expect an 8%+ return on my money, and I can only imagine that he has some better opportunities coming his way than I have. 

Not that I support him trying to withhold signing bonus money from Zach (or any player), but he definitely intended to earn with it. 

21 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We’re gonna compare a football player with an average life span of 6 years to an office worker?   BTW deferred comp in an office is almost always voluntary.  Not forced on you unless it’s ISOs or  similar. 

no i was just point out that it's often the case.

it's 50/50 in my experience on deferred comp.   employers want to pay deferred comp that requires you to be at the firm.  employees want deferred comp (i.e. no taxes and allow for accumulation of value) without vesting periods.

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Do you think Woody has any significant amount of his money in a savings account? I mean, that’s kind of a stupid assumption. I expect an 8%+ return on my money, and I can only imagine that he has some better opportunities coming his way than I have. 

Not that I support him trying to withhold signing bonus money from Zach (or any player), but he definitely intended to earn with it. 

i am not Woody's advisor - although i do bet he has some.  now in terms of stupid assumption - since you are retired and have some time why don't you read article 26 section 9 of the old CBA about guaranteed contracts.  

after you read it and help the rest of us understand escrow accounts perhaps we can discuss stupid assumptions.

ps i think it's stupid of him to play this game of withholding payment to Zack.

pss - 8% is very hard in this market.  especially if you are retired and living on a fixed income.

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

no i was just point out that it's often the case.

it's 50/50 in my experience on deferred comp.   employers want to pay deferred comp that requires you to be at the firm.  employees want deferred comp (i.e. no taxes and allow for accumulation of value) without vesting periods.

Agreed but those are not office jobs rank and file.    They are usually upper management or true professionals with real talent 

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i am not Woody's advisor - although i do bet he has some.  now in terms of stupid assumption - since you are retired and have some time why don't you read article 26 section 9 of the old CBA about guaranteed contracts.  

after you read it and help the rest of us understand escrow accounts perhaps we can discuss stupid assumptions.

pss - 8% is very hard in this market.  especially if you are retired and living on a fixed income.

Agreed again… we’ve had a great run but I use 6 percent in my projections. 

Most of my clients got about 13 to 20 last year BUT I think the S and P over 20 years has now dipped below 8 percent but I could be mistaken   st the beach with a beer   

8 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I do fine.

I used the word stupid because you used it first. No way he has millions earning < 1% in some dopey savings account. That would be truly stupid. 

And I firmly agree that signing bonuses should be paid at signing. That’s not an issue