Joe D getting a raw deal

AFJF

At this point nobody knows what has been put on the table. It is possible the Jets said that they would pay the whole bonus in the next week and Zach's agent is still holding out trying to get the offset out of the contract (something no Jet in the history of the rookie wage scale has gotten). 

Nobody has any idea who has turned down what. The only thing we know is that Zach's agent (so far) hasn't gotten everything he has asked for...and I'm okay with that for now. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Twitter, FB and the forums trashing JD for not giving Zach his money but let's be real.  This isn't Joe D.  It's not his money.  He gains not one single thing by having Zach wait longer for some of his cash.  The only people who benefit from holding money back would be the Johnsons.

Listening to Chris Simms podcast and he just nailed it.  Said that to claim Joe D is insisting on holding money back makes no sense and he's not buying it.  He shouldn't be and neither should you.

As the old saying goes, "follow the money".  Johnson's can collect a year's worth of interest on $15-20 million if Zach agrees to let them hold his money for them.

Imagine believing the GM is like "Well, I know we took you second overall and don't have a QB, but I'd rather you stay at home so Woody and Chris can make a few extra bucks".  If Joe D had the power to do so he'd give Zach the money yesterday.

Guys with your conspiracy theories....collecting interest on his money? is this real?

These guys are billionares

Its JD being JD....its well known he likes to play hard, ask Robby

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Twitter, FB and the forums trashing JD for not giving Zach his money but let's be real.  This isn't Joe D.  It's not his money.  He gains not one single thing by having Zach wait longer for some of his cash.  The only people who benefit from holding money back would be the Johnsons.

Listening to Chris Simms podcast and he just nailed it.  Said that to claim Joe D is insisting on holding money back makes no sense and he's not buying it.  He shouldn't be and neither should you.

As the old saying goes, "follow the money".  Johnson's can collect a year's worth of interest on $15-20 million if Zach agrees to let them hold his money for them.

Imagine believing the GM is like "Well, I know we took you second overall and don't have a QB, but I'd rather you stay at home so Woody and Chris can make a few extra bucks".  If Joe D had the power to do so he'd give Zach the money yesterday.

That works out to about a million and a half dollars.  Not sure that means much to Billionaires 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Guys with your conspiracy theories....collecting interest on his money? is this real?

These guys are billionares

Its JD being JD....its well known he likes to play hard, ask Robby

And what does Joe D. gain by asking Zach Wilson to wait until next year to collect some of his money as opposed to giving him all of it within 30 days of signing?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

That works out to about a million and a half dollars.  Not sure that means much to Billionaires 

Then why are they working so hard to not pay Wilson his money now?  What does Joe D gain by having Wilson wait vs what the Johnson's gain by having him wait.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Then why are they working so hard to not pay Wilson his money now?  What does Joe D gain by having Wilson wait vs what the Johnson's gain by having him wait.

Working so hard?  I’m not sure I’d use those words. But, my guess is they are refusing to break policy for one player 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas has done more wrong than right since he got here, so botching the most important contract of his career is no surprise.

SAR I

Yes, because Joe Douglas is the one who is worried about the Johnson's having to pay a player what he is owed.  

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Working so hard?  I’m not sure I’d use those words. But, my guess is they are refusing to break policy for one player 

The team has 20 practices before they take the field.  Well they had.  They now have 18.  How many do you let the rookie QB out of BYU miss before it starts to lose you football games.  All over what?  A couple million dollars?  They're billionaires, right?  Why would they let a few million dollars in the way of getting the kid on the field?  It makes no sense for anyone to take that stance, but makes far less sense for Joe D. to take it.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

ASK JD the guy holding it up

This is assumption on your part.  You believe that the guy who has not one thing to gain by holding this up is the guy who has decided to hold it up.  Makes sense.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And what does Joe D. gain by asking Zach Wilson to wait until next year to collect some of his money as opposed to giving him all of it within 30 days of signing?

Who said ANYBODY has asked Wilson to wait till next year to get his money?

IDK, but everything I have read says it is about off sets.

• Upvote 1

Just now, flgreen said:

Who said ANYBODY has asked Wilson to wait till next year to get his money?

IDK, but everything I have read says it is about off sets.

It has now been reported by multiple outlets that it's about offsets (which is idiotic) as well as the Jets wanting Wilson to defer his bonus money.  Several teams pay out their top picks within 30 days of signing.  The Jets want Zach to take part of it now and part of it next year.  It's literally his money.  Imagine  you doing a job where you earn 10K and your boss says he'd like you to take 5K today and 5K 8 months down the road so that he can hang on to your cash for you.

There’s probably 2 angles on this. JD and the Jets are probably willing to give up some offsets but want to pay less cash or pay more cash and keep the offsets.

The debate working against the Jets is that they paid out all of Sam Darnold’s contract as a bonus immediately, that’s bad precedent. Working for the Jets is the fact that Trevor Lawrence did not get his entire contract as a bonus so it’s not entirely paid out as cash. I believe Quinnen also got like 90% of his contract as cash early on so he didn’t have to pay NJ taxes on it. 

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

There’s probably 2 angles on this. JD and the Jets are probably willing to give up some offsets but want to pay less cash or pay more cash and keep the offsets.

The debate working against the Jets is that they paid out all of Sam Darnold’s contract as a bonus immediately, that’s bad precedent. Working for the Jets is the fact that Trevor Lawrence did not get his entire contract as a bonus so it’s not entirely paid out as cash. I believe Quinnen also got like 90% of his contract as cash early on so he didn’t have to pay NJ taxes on it. 

What's working against the Jets is Zach comes from a family who have the money and legal representation to equal a Billion dollar company on the other side of the table.  He's lawyers aren't being rolled over.  

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The team has 20 practices before they take the field.  Well they had.  They now have 18.  How many do you let the rookie QB out of BYU miss before it starts to lose you football games.  All over what?  A couple million dollars?  They're billionaires, right?  Why would they let a few million dollars in the way of getting the kid on the field?  It makes no sense for anyone to take that stance, but makes far less sense for Joe D. to take it.

I think this hurts the BYU kid more than JD.

JD can hit on other deals and players.  And he's already had a decent career.

If Zach sucks this season, in part due to not practicing...  that'll start his only career off badly.  And in NY we all know how things can snowball from there.

Zach needs to stop being a little tw#t, and get the #### to camp.