mims running with the third string

kmnj

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Nothing I can say is gonna win over the doubters at this point. Conversely, same with those who are optimistic. Just gonna have to let Denzel tell the true story this year—

i will say that some of the concerns related to this “play” are flat out imaginary/made up. 

giphy.gif.6523e8d51e01e62d33b14af0f74854cc.gif

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on yore watching a COVID season where he was injured most of the year playing with the worst QB in the league and the worst HC in the history of the league.  Great

There are always explanations or reasons why a draft choice struggles and it seems many of the same people are the ones offering up those as a rationale for why things are going to turn around soon.  Only time will tell here but it certainly fair to say that Mims has not put his best foot forward so far as a pro.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, EM31 said:

There are always explanations or reasons why a draft choice struggles and it seems many of the same people are the ones offering up those as a rationale for why things are going to turn around soon.  Only time will tell here but it certainly fair to say that Mims has not put his best foot forward so far as a pro.

I didn't have him running with the 3rd team. The coaches did. Has to be a reason. I offered up one reason. Could be another reason, totally different. Somethings amiss there.

13 hours ago, genot said:

No. Based on his tape at Baylor and watching other receivers timed at 4.3 in the 40. If he's running with the 3rd team. Somethings wrong. 

If hes running third string on day one of camp, is not the same thing as running with the 3rd string opening day.

The nonsense about which grouping going onto the field with which group on the 2nd day of camp is comical.

And yes, he runs a 4.3 40.  You have never, ever seen him run totally free and easy while also being totally healthy.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, EM31 said:

True, he hasnt put his best foot forward.  But none of us know how healthy he was in the 8 or whatever games he appeared in.  So who knows.  This offense in SF utilized mostly 2 WR sets, who knows if that will be the case here but how many WRs are they mostly going to put on the field at once, 3?  So if he runs with the 2nd unit as he did in OTAs why would that be a problem that so many saw this spring?  Davis and Cole along with Crowder are givens  so its not shocking that off of his wasted 2020 he has to earn time with the 1st unit.  He hasnt yet

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Don’t care what he did before the Pros, it what he does in the NFL. It’s year 2 and he’s running with the 2&3’s. 

It’s still early but he’s not showing anything yet on camp, it’s not a good sign. Fortunately we drafted Moore.

You took a handful of professional games and compared him to someone who had 45 receptions in his career total before HE was out of the league in TWO years. What else was I supposed to talk about? 

I always find it interesting when people can only find past Jet players to compare to current Jet players. It feels a little lazy.

In the press conference, saleh mentioned Mims was “working through some things.  I could be wrong but i interpreted that as personal stuff.  And if I recall, didnt he disappear for a week or so last year?

Im wonder if Mims is struggling through personal stuff that is effecting his on the field play.

26 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Honestly, I dont think they have a depth chart yet.  These dudes seem all interchangeable for the most part.  I imagine if Davis or Cole are injured, he's the next man up to play outside.  I think the fun part of the WR group is that they can all line up at any position, which is also another reason why Mims could be running with 2nd/3rd teamers....to get more reps at certain positions.  For example, if they wanted him to get a lot of run playing the X and Z, he's not going to if he's running with the 1's or if they wanted to see him vs. a certain type of corner, that would factor as well.  

Again, people looked way too much into this, especially considering he had nice day with a couple of 1st down grabs yesterday.  With Zach's passion for throwing the contested jump ball, Mims could be a big player maker in this offense. 

Shouldn’t we all being celebrating not to have to start  him as the day 1 starter? I know we aren’t use to an actual NFL level wide receiver room, but I think it’s a good thing that Mims gets to earn his way up the Depth chart. Rather than the old method of tossing anyone who can catch a ball in because behind them were guys none of us heard of. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think Mims’ primary competition at the Z receiver is Moore, and he might’ve already lost. In OTAs, when Moore and Cole were on the field at the same time it was Cole in the slot. My original thinking on Moore was expecting gadget type plays designed for him just to get the ball in his hands, but he seems to’ve surpassed that kinda work already. He might already be the best receiver on the team. 

But Mims will see the field, and Moore probably moves to the slot when they and Davis are out there together. Even if he’s not starting, he’s likely to see a lot of third down/red zone targets. He’s a big body willing to catch the ball in traffic. That’s useful. He’s probably the backup to Davis at the X, too. 

Agreed. Pretty cool situation for the Jets and young QB.  Really excited about Moore. 

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

If hes running third string on day one of camp, is not the same thing as running with the 3rd string opening day.

The nonsense about which grouping going onto the field with which group on the 2nd day of camp is comical.

And yes, he runs a 4.3 40.  You have never, ever seen him run totally free and easy while also being totally healthy.  

Dod i say he was a bust. All i stated was my opinion as to a reason why he might not have progressed as we might have hoped. It's a forum. We share opinions and theories related to the team we root for. He might be the best receiver we have at the end of the year. Right now, he isn't close to being that

Some of you guys are funny, it’s day 3 of camp and there are 90 players on the roster right now.  You guys have no idea what packages they were running or what down and distance they were working or what defensive look they were getting.  Way too much is being read into this.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

Dod i say he was a bust. All i stated was my opinion as to a reason why he might not have progressed as we might have hoped. It's a forum. We share opinions and theories related to the team we root for. He might be the best receiver we have at the end of the year. Right now, he isn't close to being that

Yes it’s a forum.  Which has plenty of material telling you that you don’t make statements about players after an 8 game, injury and COVID screwed up season.  That’s it.  Same as it was when people called QW a bust wanted to trade him for a 3rd.  A 3rd and that would have taken a miracle.  He was slow, soft, a baby.  He was also hurt and making the switch from college.   Sound familiar?  

7 hours ago, ZacharyWilson said:

You took a handful of professional games and compared him to someone who had 45 receptions in his career total before HE was out of the league in TWO years. What else was I supposed to talk about? 

I always find it interesting when people can only find past Jet players to compare to current Jet players. It feels a little lazy.

Well come back when he’s putting up the numbers. He’s defacto our Receiver #5.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes it’s a forum.  Which has plenty of material telling you that you don’t make statements about players after an 8 game, injury and COVID screwed up season.  That’s it.  Same as it was when people called QW a bust wanted to trade him for a 3rd.  A 3rd and that would have taken a miracle.  He was slow, soft, a baby.  He was also hurt and making the switch from college.   Sound familiar?  

I never said that about QW. I've made a fool out of myself telling people to wait a little bit longer to judge Polite. Im very patient. Like i said, it's too early to label Mims anything. I stick by what i said about him playing slower than what his 40 time is. 

18 minutes ago, genot said:

I never said that about QW. I've made a fool out of myself telling people to wait a little bit longer to judge Polite. Im very patient. Like i said, it's too early to label Mims anything. I stick by what i said about him playing slower than what his 40 time is. 

Yes, you were wrong about Polite, but definitely not wrong about Mims.  Polite deserved his fate to be released as soon as he was, and it was a terrible mistake to have drafted him in the first place.

The big question for me is how Mims is dealing with the fact that he needs to prove himself to be elevated to where people thought he would be when he was first drafted.  With all the competition, will he wilt like a lily, or will he rise to the top?  I'm not concerned about how fast he is, or how his hands are in catching the ball.  

If he can step up and battle the competition and use this as motivation for himself, then I believe he has a bright future in green and white.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, genot said:

I didnt say that you did but that far too many did.  Point is people still dont get that you dont judge a draft pick off of their rookie year, worse a rookie year where they didnt play every game in because of injury 

Same for 40 times when it was a hammy injury and if youre unsure of routes etc, you dont run free and easy