mims running with the third string

kmnj

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Havent heard this before

wondering eric cartman GIF by South Park

I read it in a few places such as

•  
  • The Athletic's Connor Hughes reported that Denzel Mims worked with the Jets third string offense on Friday.

Well that escalated quickly. Despite being the Jets second round pick last year, Mims was working alongside Jeff Smith and Lawrence Cager today. At this point, there can be no doubt that free agent addition Keelan Cole is firmly ahead of Mims on the depth chart. Rookie Elijah Moore has also continued to impress and is poised to play ahead of Mims as well

this is crazy - i’d really like to know what mims isn’t doing that’s got him with 3rd string - this board was doing cartwheels when mims was drafted - i thought he showed great potential when he played last year - i wonder if limited route tree running is going to cost him his jets career- i’m really surprised he’s showing so little - hope he steps up and makes it

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

While watching Mims college highlights I always thought he'd have trouble getting separation at the next level.  Hope I'm wrong because it sux to be right on this one.    

Why did you think that? 

Hes big and strong and fast.

Most WR's have to learn how to gain separation.  I always remember how Key struggled with it early and he was a college stud

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why did you think that? 

He's big and strong and fast.

Most WR's have to learn how to gain separation.  I always remember how Key struggled with it early and he was a college stud

What I recall was that he would push off with his hands and make separation that way and the college refs allowed it I guess.  So from what I saw he NEEDED to push off to get separation otherwise he got very little.   Just my limited observation from college highlights but there it is.  

• Upvote 1

way too early to know where mims will fall out.  of course we all want him to succeed and he should justify his draft position but some guys just don't or can't take the pressure of the new guys coming in.  either way it'll be a win for the jets.  mims turns his game around or he gets beaten out by someone else.  either way the guy in his position will be better.

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s seems to have a whiff of Stephen Hill about him.

Not really. Hill was so bad he couldn't even figure out how to push off, and he had hands of stone. Mims will have to learn some nuances where in college his athleticism bought him everything he needed to excel, but he won't be nearly as bad as Hill.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I'm hoping he turns things around. He's just too physically gifted to not be a great weapon on the outside. 

In order for him to get cut he would have to get beat out by Vyncent Smith, Jeff Smith or Cager. Anything can happen but I highly doubt those guys beat him out. Even Berrios, while being able to add productivity as a returner has a tougher hill to climb to make the roster just because he has at least 2 slot receivers ahead of him (Crowder and Moore and even Cole to an extent). I know people already have Berrios penciled in as making the roster but I actually think Mims still has a better chance to make it. 

When all is said and done, barring injuries, we will have Mims, Berrios, Cole, Crowder, Moore and Davis as our receiving corps going into week one of the season.  

• Sympathy 1

I think people are underestimating how good our WR depth is now. 

Cole is a good NFL WR and I sincerely think Moore has a chance to be one of the best slots in the entire league because he just plays so fast (one of my favorite players in college over that last 5-6 years)

I think it's fair to doubt that Mims will ever be a stud, but he can absolutely still be a good NFL WR

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

This is kind of perplexing. He showed an ability to get open last year and make some plays with the worst quarterbacking in football. And that was with zero training camp reps. I don’t recall drops being an issue.

I hope this is motivational and he steps up and proves himself. He’s an enigma right now. He has the size and athleticism to be a true X wideout, but it remains to be scene whether he has the drive to put it together.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

How would you guys rate Bryce Hall in comparison to the rest of the league?

Is he a average starting corner or is he only a starter on a weak secondary?

Can't he be both? lol

I mean, the truth is we don't really know the type of player Hall is yet. He played what? 8 NFL games? Correct me if I am wrong. 

So we're talking about a 5th round rookie coming off injury who played in 8 NFL games on a terrible team. He looked solid, he looked promising. But its not nearly enough to really know whether he is a legit NFL starter, a potential star, a bust, a JAG, a useful backup, better as a safety, better in a different system, etc., etc. 

Personally I think he can develop into a solid starter who can play on the outside in the Saleh zone heavy system. I don't see him having Pro-Bowl or #1 shut down CB upside. I don't see him developing into a Richard Sherman type CB. But who knows. 

I actually think Pinnock, the rookie, has more upside if he can buy into the Saleh scheme and Jet fans should be excited about him as a potential #1 but he's super raw and it will take time for him to develop.  And lets not forget about Bless, who Jet fans seem to have completely written off. Easily our most talented CB, he could very well have a big year if the D-line finally gets pressure on the QB. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Cole is pretty good.

I'm expecting a depth chart of:

1.  Davis

2.  Cole

3.  Moore/Crowder

4.  Crowder/Moore

5.  Mims

I think Moore is and will be ahead of Cole, who I’m also very happy to have. They’ll be designing plays for Moore this year. 

There’s no doubt that Mims is in the dog house and/or getting some tough love right now. I don’t know what the issue is, but they clearly feel the need to push/test him. People thinking he’s in danger of getting cut are getting way ahead of themselves, though. This is a big, physical, fast WR who the Jets drafted in the second round. He’s gonna be on the team this year and get his opportunities eventually.  

I’ve mentioned before that I suspect that Joe Douglas didn’t trade down this year because last year he missed his guy after moving down, and he wasn’t going to do that two years in a row. I really liked Mims, but he may’ve been JD’s consolation prize. Hopefully the tough love pays off. I have some faith. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

What I recall was that he would push off with his hands and make separation that way and the college refs allowed it I guess.  So from what I saw he NEEDED to push off to get separation otherwise he got very little.   Just my limited observation from college highlights but there it is.  

it sucks that our scouts weren't able to pick this up in the tape.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

It’s work ethic. Nothing to do with talent. 

Pure guess, but I think it might have more to do with not understanding the playbook.  Can't recall ever reading there was a problem with his work ethic.  

• Upvote 1