mims running with the third string

kmnj

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

What I recall was that he would push off with his hands and make separation that way and the college refs allowed it I guess.  So from what I saw he NEEDED to push off to get separation otherwise he got very little.   Just my limited observation from college highlights but there it is.  

OK, but I still think for a lot of WRs its a learned art and why the word used to be a WR needs up to 3 years to develop

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Jesus....You guys are like cockroaches coming out of the woodwork once the lights get shut off for five minutes.

Things get hyperbolic on both sides...I was lectured for over a year on how that trade down was a stroke of genius and was proof we finally hired a GM who knew what he was doing...there's plenty of stupid to go around. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Anyone that has no concern at all over this has his head in the sand.

His rookie year was a bit of a washout with injuries and the offense sucking so bad.  If he’s still 3rd string by opening day and the word is that he’s far behind, then I’ll start to worry.  Everyone knew he was raw when he was drafted, and now we’re all stressing b/c essentially the new jet coaching staff is acknowledging that he is, in fact, still raw.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Moore is and will be ahead of Cole, who I’m also very happy to have. They’ll be designing plays for Moore this year. 

There’s no doubt that Mims is in the dog house and/or getting some tough love right now. I don’t know what the issue is, but they clearly feel the need to push/test him. People thinking he’s in danger of getting cut are getting way ahead of themselves, though. This is a big, physical, fast WR who the Jets drafted in the second round. He’s gonna be on the team this year and get his opportunities eventually.  

I’ve mentioned before that I suspect that Joe Douglas didn’t trade down this year because last year he missed his guy after moving down, and he wasn’t going to do that two years in a row. I really liked Mims, but he may’ve been JD’s consolation prize. Hopefully the tough love pays off. I have some faith. 

Yeah, definitely high hopes for Moore.  I was basically saying the #3 spot was for slot.

In terms of best WRs ranked, I'd say currently:  Davis, Crowder, Cole, Moore, Mims

Hopefully by the end of season it's:  Moore, Davis, Mims, Crowder, Cole

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pure guess, but I think it might have more to do with not understanding the playbook.  Can't recall ever reading there was a problem with his work ethic.  

The fact that he’s running with special teams too makes me think they want him to work for it. I’m not sure what happened or what but that’s how it feels. 
He’s def pissed he’s doing it.Feels like Cole has kinda taken a mentor role to him. He told him the other day he’s more talented then he’s ever been and that he just needs to put it all together. Take that for what it’s worth. 

• Upvote 2

On the bright side, we have a bunch of guy’s that………bumped him to third string 
Bingo...we have a lot of talent at the spot bow and he might have be slacking off a bit. Or since he had food poisoning he wasn't working or studying and now he has a lot of catching up to do.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

mims now working with the 3rd string team

getting passed on the depth chart by Cole would be a brutal

Why? Cole is a vet who's been playing. Mims is a second year player who got drafted in a year plagued by covid. Reps, film room, all that good stuff that rookies had less of last year. It's not a bad thing that Mims doesn't have to rush to be the guy as there is other talent on the team now. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Anyone that has no concern at all over this has his head in the sand.

I'm a big Mims fan and wasn't really concerned about him running with 2s. THIS is definitely concerning.  

It does seem like jets really like cole,  they spent a ton on Davis, love Moore and we all know Crowder is good.  So that sort of leaves Mims out of the loop. At least for now. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I think Moore is and will be ahead of Cole, who I’m also very happy to have. They’ll be designing plays for Moore this year. 

There’s no doubt that Mims is in the dog house and/or getting some tough love right now. I don’t know what the issue is, but they clearly feel the need to push/test him. People thinking he’s in danger of getting cut are getting way ahead of themselves, though. This is a big, physical, fast WR who the Jets drafted in the second round. He’s gonna be on the team this year and get his opportunities eventually.  

I’ve mentioned before that I suspect that Joe Douglas didn’t trade down this year because last year he missed his guy after moving down, and he wasn’t going to do that two years in a row. I really liked Mims, but he may’ve been JD’s consolation prize. Hopefully the tough love pays off. I have some faith. 

And who do you think he was hoping to fall to him after trading down?

25 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

And who do you think he was hoping to fall to him after trading down?

Claypool? Jefferson? I’m speculating, obviously, but it struck me that in his second draft he stuck and picked in the second round when that looked like a prime trade down spot - especially after trading away his two third rounders. Same thing in the fourth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Claypool? Jefferson? I’m speculating, obviously, but it struck me that in his second draft he stuck and picked in the second round when that looked like a prime trade down spot - especially after trading away his two third rounders. Same thing in the fourth. 

Claypool  sounds right.  But wasn’t Mims even rated higher than Claypool before the draft? Big ND fan since the 60’ but I even wanted Mims over Claypool.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

You don't think Moore being available played a role in him keeping the pick?

33 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about the three Day 2 picks, but it’s still very early and I’m very happy with Becton and Hall.

I agree, the trio of Mims, Davis, & Zuniga have been underwhelming so far, to say the least, but it is still early. If they show some flashes/make a play here & there as the season progresses no one will be complaining then. 

The common denominator has been health and their collective inability to stay on the field so as to develop accordingly. At this stage, it raises an eyebrow but nothing to sweat about. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Joe D's 1st draft looks worse and worse - Saleh might have saved Big Joes job.

You will get killed here for this comment, but To be fair, this was an attrocious draft ...  we could have had a # of elite receivers before we traded back and settled for Mims 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s seems to have a whiff of Stephen Hill about him.

Stephen Hill ran like a baby deer on a skating pond. Denzel Mims is nowhere near that. Mims is also much stronger than Hill was. His college resume was also four times greater than Hill's (who caught 49 college passes total in his college career) was. Hill never moved like this:

(4) Denzel Mims All Senior Bowl 1-on-1 Reps - YouTube

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think people are underestimating how good our WR depth is now. 

Cole is a good NFL WR and I sincerely think Moore has a chance to be one of the best slots in the entire league because he just plays so fast (one of my favorite players in college over that last 5-6 years)

I think it's fair to doubt that Mims will ever be a stud, but he can absolutely still be a good NFL WR

Not only that but camp is 3 days old, it’s called rotation to evaluate players at every level… 

As usual, the knee jerk over reactions ensue…

• Upvote 3

So probably worth mentioning, again, that it was Day 3 of camp.  It was an install day.  It's not crazy that the 3 veterans were running all 1st team reps on an install day which coincided with Zach's first day.  Mims was running with the 2's the day before, sounds like they're just switching things up.  Maybe they wanted him to get looks vs. different corners too?  Who knows, what I do know is, whether Mims was running w/ 2's or 3's is absolutely insignificant.  If the coaching staff's opinion of Mims is that he's a fringe roster player, he would have been traded.  The 6'3, 4.3 2nd round pick who put some very nice catches on film last year, isnt at risk of making this team.  

• Sympathy 2

I remember a time during the first TC when I said I was more worried about Mims running with the 2s than I was about Zach not being here. Wasn’t well received.

I loved the Mims pick. I’m rooting for him hard. But I’m not gonna put blinders on or try to excuse any of what we’re seeing transpire. The guy has WR1 talent yet dropped all the way to us in round 2. No amount of reasoning can explain to me why he’s running with the 3s right now other than work ethic. That’s absolutely something to be worried about.