Zach needs to get the ball out quicker

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Zach's pocket presence needs work but I don't put that all on him. He isn't confident back there even when he has a clean pocket. Getting pounded a few weeks in a row will do that to you.

Kind of the same story under Gase with Darnold, why they aren't doing more rollouts I just don't know. Call some set one read plays for high % passes at the line of scrimmage to build momentum.

This

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Greg Knapp passing is so sad. And it is impacting the team because LaFleur needs coaching. And he is coaching Wilson during the game. At this point LaFleur should be in the booth with people in his ear about play calling and looking forward to the next drive. Some else needs to worry about Zach on the sidelines. That part is important, Gase let Darnold sit alone that can't happen. I just don't think the young first-time O\C can do both. 

Honestly, the in game stuff means very little to me.  He's not going to the sidelines, talking to someone and then a light goes off and it's fixed and we see the results immediately.  That doesnt happen.  It's like trying to fix your golf swing on hole 12.  That is not the time. 

Zach's footwork, pocket presence, decision making, holding the ball to long and passion for playing hero ball was on full display in college and everyone praised him for it!  The nonsensical talking head morons of the world, like Chris Simms were too busy comparing him to Mahomes because of the off script, the off platform, yada yada yada and not focused on his enormous flaws.  Clearly this regime fell for it, hook, line and sinker because it doesnt seem like anyone is even discussing how completely jacked up he is fundamentally.  Legit, I've never heard once Lil Mikey or anyone else talk about what they're working on with Zach.  Say what you will about former regimes, getting Sam fundamentally sound is all you heard about leading up to week 1 of his rookie season; the wind up, the foot work, etc.   I've heard none of that with this regime and Zach is arguably more of a mess.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I hate stars like these. Without a frame of reference it’s idiotic and means nothing.  

This is basically saying that all he has to do is get rid of the ball faster and he’ll be awesome.  So simple.  
Doesn’t take into account pass pressure or more importantly, is anyone F-ing OPEN!

Yes it looked like in Denver game receivers are not getting open do what is wilson to do seems simple throw the ball quick but offensive line and receivers have to be in sync with that

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Honestly, the in game stuff means very little to me.  He's not going to the sidelines, talking to someone and then a light goes off and it's fixed and we see the results immediately.  That doesnt happen.  It's like trying to fix your golf swing on hole 12.  That is not the time. 

Zach's footwork, pocket presence, decision making, holding the ball to long and passion for playing hero ball was on full display in college and everyone praised him for it!  The nonsensical talking head morons of the world, like Chris Simms were too busy comparing him to Mahomes because of the off script, the off platform, yada yada yada and not focused on his enormous flaws.  Clearly this regime fell for it, hook, line and sinker because it doesnt seem like anyone is even discussing how completely jacked up he is fundamentally.  Legit, I've never heard once Lil Mikey or anyone else talk about what they're working on with Zach.  Say what you will about former regimes, getting Sam fundamentally sound is all you heard about leading up to week 1 of his rookie season; the wind up, the foot work, etc.   I've heard none of that with this regime and Zach is arguably more of a mess.

Ironically, that's one of the biggest reasons why Darnold is playing better in Carolina. Yes, their team is a lot better offensively, but you can tell they coached the crap out of him to improve his footwork and it's working.

The #1 thing Zach and the coaching staff have under their control is improving on his mechanics and improving timing and information processing. If nothing else, they need to ingrain that into him because fixing a crappy o-line is not happening this year.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Typical rookie situation on a bad team where the qb is trying to do too much.  Above all the drops are the most frustrating to me.  

It’s been almost impossible to get any momentum going on offense. 
You’re either seeing a free blitzer, pre-snap penalty, holding or dropped pass on seemingly every possession.   
just feels like every time we get going something like the above happens. And we’re just not good enough to overcome stupid sh*t like this. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hate stars like these. Without a frame of reference it’s idiotic and means nothing.  

This is basically saying that all he has to do is get rid of the ball faster and he’ll be awesome.  So simple.  
Doesn’t take into account pass pressure or more importantly, is anyone F-ing OPEN!

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

(obviously the cause and effect is much more complicated than just “throw the ball sooner,” but the point stands)

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Ironically, that's one of the biggest reasons why Darnold is playing better in Carolina. Yes, their team is a lot better offensively, but you can tell they coached the crap out of him to improve his footwork and it's working.

The #1 thing Zach and the coaching staff have under their control is improving on his mechanics and improving timing and information processing. If nothing else, they need to ingrain that into him because fixing a crappy o-line is not happening this year.

His footwork is better because he has time and isn’t getting pressured every other fing play. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

A whole bunch of you are conflating time to pass with the mechanics problem JiF and I are talking about. Even on plays that Zach has enough time to throw, he's not stepping into the throw or having his front foot pointed in the direction of the receiver. I feel like you really notice it on some of his throw to flats, but that's just anecdotal.

Obviously, OL is a massive problem and he's getting pressured way too much for anyone to succeed, but he's still contributing towards the problem.

100%.  That's all I'm saying.  A 3 step drop back, turns into a 6 step drop back or his body is aimed at a seam route when he's throwing to the sidelines, which in turn impacts the entire play; OL's ability to hold blocks, WR's ability to make the play and Zach's ability to deliver an accurate pass.

I'm not bashing Zach.  I'm actually bashing the coaching staff.  This has always been part of his game, who's coaching it out of him?  I'm pointing out these flaws that you regularly see because when you combine them with the rest of the offensive woes, it all becomes symptomatic of each other.  Zach cant execute plays, the OL cant execute blocks, the OC has to adjust the play calling, etc. etc. etc.  Zach averaged 4.6 ypc last game, that to me indicates, they're trying to dumb this thing down and make it easier and some of the play designs would support that attempt the problem is, they all just suck right now.  All of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

46 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Do you go to a book of cliches and just spew it here?  Hard to find a top college QB who didnt play more hero ball or whatever shlt we're calling it today.  The idea that all Wilson did was throw balls up without regard and his WRs made plays on it is total nonsense.  Makes you wonder why none of those WRs pulling long passes in on jump balls arent in the NFL lighting things up.  There were no enormous flaws that people other than those who didnt want Wilson saw.  Bet none of the 1,000 or so Jets fans who claim they wanted Mahomes, had him as their #1 pick were bitching at mechanics described by KC staff as the worst they ever saw.  

Of course its footwork, the new buzzword for fans. I watch Rodgers throw off his back foot all the time.  Same with Mahomes, Allen, Jackson etc.  When you complete passes and are on a good offense this issues dont count.  Offense sucks and all the internet QB whisperers provide reasons.  Has it ever occurred to you that youre the only one complaining about his mechanics, footwork at BYU and why that might be?

But hey, we could have had Fields and he totally sucks, has in every single game or preseason game hes appeared in.  Every single 1st round QB is struggling.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2