New Stadium

On 10/19/2021 at 8:17 AM, tfine said:

It boggles my mind how the Nets can get a new arena, but we cant get a new stadium. This town hates the Jets.

Barclay Center is an 17,000 seat arena.

MetLife Stadium is an 82,500 seat stadium.

Ever take geometry in school?  While it would be fun to displace 2,000 families and create unfathomable traffic in Brooklyn, something tells me we're better off right where we are.

SAR I

The stadium / stadium experience stinks but I’m much more worried about the team being awful for a decade and our owner quitting on us for nearly half a decade for the London gig and handing the franchise off to his dopey brother. We’re a bottom tier franchise , is what it is 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

The stadium / stadium experience stinks but I’m much more worried about the team being awful for a decade and our owner quitting on us for nearly half a decade for the London gig and handing the franchise off to his dopey brother. We’re a bottom tier franchise , is what it is 

The owner cares and wants to win.  The problem is that he isn't aggressive enough to get a very talented and experienced GM and HC in here and keeps trying over and over to do it with a rookie GM and a rookie HC and that never works.  All of our misery can be traced back to the fact that they hire the wrong GM's and HC's. 

Hess had the right idea.  Screw being cordial to your other billionaire owner friends.  Steal the best GM/HC in your division and go on a run, fix things for a decade while you're still alive to enjoy it.  The older Woody gets the more desperate he will become.  Hess stole Parcells.  Werblin stole Namath.  You'll love MetLife Stadium when it becomes the place where you saw the Jets win a championship and advance to the Super Bowl.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, mrcoops said:

There's your answer.

Whatever happened to the redevelopment that was supposed to happen instead of the stadium?

I'm not from NY, so that's a genuine question - did it ever happen? (I suspect not)

redevelopment of what? west side/Hudson Yards area? Only the largest construction project in western hemisphere has taken place.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

redevelopment of what? west side/Hudson Yards area? Only the largest construction project in western hemisphere has taken place.

I lost interest after the stadium wasn't built. I'm not from NY and live on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, so it passed me by.

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I lost interest after the stadium wasn't built. I'm not from NY and live on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, so it passed me by.

It's nice. A small percentage of well to do NY'ers live there and the rest of the spaces provide a nice way for rich foreigners to park their money. Then there's a big ol' schwarma statue that tourists like. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

It's nice. A small percentage of well to do NY'ers live there and the rest of the spaces provide a nice way for rich foreigners to park their money. Then there's a big ol' schwarma statue that tourists like. 

You know, until this thread I never knew Schwarma was also Gyro.  Same brown shaved meat.

• Upvote 1

Tell me you think the owner is an incompetent failure without telling me the owner is an incompetent failure. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The problem is that he isn't aggressive enough to get a very talented and experienced GM and HC in here and keeps trying over and over to do it with a rookie GM and a rookie HC and that never works.  All of our misery can be traced back to the fact that they hire the wrong GM's and HC's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Barclay Center is an 17,000 seat arena.

MetLife Stadium is an 82,500 seat stadium.

Ever take geometry in school?  While it would be fun to displace 2,000 families and create unfathomable traffic in Brooklyn, something tells me we're better off right where we are.

SAR I

This is true, but we didn’t have to build an 82,500 seat stadium just to sell more PSLs. The original plan was 60,000 I believe. The Raiders capacity at their new stadium is 65,500. Rams/Chargers 70,000. With 60,000 vs 82,500 you could have the stands closer to the field and an intimidating, crazy loud and fun environment. They would have made more money this way vs 15k empty upper deck seats.  Anyway could they build where the Nets arena is? No. Could they have explored other parts of Brooklyn or Queens for a 60k capacity stadium? Yes. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Tell me you think the owner is an incompetent failure without telling me the owner is an incompetent failure. 

Only 12 teams have won the Super Bowl in the last 20 years.  Meaning 20 NFL owners didn't get it done.

Some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time have a Hall of Fame 15 year career and only win it once for a team.  Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers.  This isn't easy.  The Johnsons have actually come closer than 16 NFL teams have, putting us somewhere in the middle of the pack, hardly the bottom.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

it's largely corporate office space

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

This is true, but we didn’t have to build an 82,500 seat stadium just to sell more PSLs. The original plan was 60,000 I believe. The Raiders capacity at their new stadium is 65,500. Rams/Chargers 70,000. With 60,000 vs 82,500 you could have the stands closer to the field and a crazy loud and fun environment. They would have made more money this way vs 15k empty upper deck seats.  Anyway could they build where the Nets arena is? No. Could they have explored other parts of Brooklyn or Queens for a 60k capacity stadium? Yes. 

What you are describing is MetLife Stadium without an upper deck.  The actual footprint an NFL stadium takes up is no different if it has 30,000 seats or 90,000 seats.  The difference is in the air space above. 

There isn't space or access for an NFL stadium of any size in Brooklyn or Queens.  Entire neighborhoods would have to be leveled.  Families would have to be ousted.  Roads would have to be constructed.  These are some of the most congested areas of the country, it makes no sense to add a redundant facility causing so much year-round disruption for the 10 days a year we actually play there.  What we have now is on par with every other NFL facility and works just fine. 

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

What you are describing is MetLife Stadium without an upper deck.  The actual footprint an NFL stadium takes up is no different if it has 30,000 seats or 90,000 seats.  The difference is in the air space above. 

There isn't space or access for an NFL stadium of any size in Brooklyn or Queens.  Entire neighborhoods would have to be leveled.  Families would have to be ousted.  Roads would have to be constructed.  These are some of the most congested areas of the country, it makes no sense to add a redundant facility causing so much year-round disruption for the 10 days a year we actually play there.  What we have now is on par with every other NFL facility and works just fine. 

SAR I

I’d suggest Staten Island then, but I grew up there andJets fans suffer enough and shouldn’t have to be subjected to Staten Island ever. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Only 12 teams have won the Super Bowl in the last 20 years.  Meaning 20 NFL owners didn't get it done.

Some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time have a Hall of Fame 15 year career and only win it once for a team.  Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers.  This isn't easy.  The Johnsons have actually come closer than 16 NFL teams have, putting us somewhere in the middle of the pack, hardly the bottom.

SAR I

That's all true yet completely irrelevant.

In a league designed to create parity, the Jets are the blind squirrel that is incapable of finding the occasional nut. Even bad teams are occasionally competitive. Not the Jets. 

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

But it’s this kind of chicanery that makes us the lovable losers we are.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

This is true, but we didn’t have to build an 82,500 seat stadium just to sell more PSLs. The original plan was 60,000 I believe. The Raiders capacity at their new stadium is 65,500. Rams/Chargers 70,000. With 60,000 vs 82,500 you could have the stands closer to the field and an intimidating, crazy loud and fun environment. They would have made more money this way vs 15k empty upper deck seats.  Anyway could they build where the Nets arena is? No. Could they have explored other parts of Brooklyn or Queens for a 60k capacity stadium? Yes. 

from my experience its the lower level mid 50s expensinve more empy then upper decks but depends on section i guess

15 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I’d suggest Staten Island then, but I grew up there andJets fans suffer enough and shouldn’t have to be subjected to Staten Island ever. 

When you get the impossible great locations (Manhattan) and the impossible nostalgic locations (Queens) out of your mind, you come to the conclusion that New Jersey is the best location and the reason that we've been there very successfully for 39 years.  Which, by the way, is significantly longer than the 18 years we were in New York.  We're a New Jersey franchise, doesn't matter what the logo says.

SAR I

7 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Flushing Meadow Park

image.jpeg.f5d4c3966346690ff1fa65b6673a38fe.jpeg

Have you been there? It’s used by thousands of people all year long, it’s not a bunch of dead real estate, it’s an actual park that children and their families frolic in.  It’s packed in the summer.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:58 AM, kevinc855 said:

from my experience its the lower level mid 50s expensinve more empy then upper decks but depends on section i guess

The lower level on the jets side between the 30's are club seats and visitor side section 139 is the MetLife Club. A good portion of the fans in these sections are watching the game inside the clubs or on the patio area on the field.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:18 PM, BP said:

FYI I’m a yankee fan and citifield is nicer than the new yankee stadium.

as for noise, after being to arrowhead twice I know why that place is so loud. The entire stadium is built into the ground (like a sub woofer). It’s almost a duplicate of giants stadium minus the mezzanine. At giants stadium and MetLife you have to walk up to get to the lower level (it’s built on a swamp) In arrowhead you walk downstairs to get to lower level and upstairs for everything else.

we’re stuck with this over priced sh*thole until at least 2035 lol

The stands at Arrowhead are built close the field too.

On 10/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, SAR I said:

Those screaming for a sexier stadium wear the same pair of underwear for a week and haven't bought a new car in a decade, they're the last people who should be commenting on style.  And they wouldn't know a nice stadium from a dump anyway as they are too drunk to know the difference, and would piss on Michelangelo's David if it let them get back to the beer line faster than a port-o-potty 10 feet away.

SAR I

That’s classic……

• Sympathy 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

You can build a 60,000 seat stadium an a much steeper angle and that puts the fans closer to the action.  The problem with Met life is the good seats suck compared ot most NFL stadiums.    It's a  dump in a swamp off the Jersey turnpike.   It's an embarrassment and the two teams that play their are a reflection of the dump.  

• Sympathy 1