OLD HABITS DIE HARD

SoFlaJets

Cant tell if serious or not lol ?

I assume you know that film was unequivocally debunked by the very man that was in the sasquatch costume correct? 

I hate to break your heart but I felt comfortable doing so since the Jets have clearly shattered it already for all of us. 

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Cant tell if serious or not lol ?

I assume you know that film was unequivocally debunked by the very man that was in the sasquatch costume correct? 

I hate to break your heart but I felt comfortable doing so since the Jets have clearly shattered it already for all of us. 

oh yea...what about the skunk ape?  Dispute that!

Old habits you have to look at the bright side of what you posted.  There's a lot of nostalgia and good memories tied up in your post.  You should stop being invested in the linear nature of time.   You might be eating a sh*t sandwich but if you think hard enough you can almost taste that great steak you had from Peter Lugars in 1975 before that got screwed up.   You still love NFL Football just not today's NFL football.  It's all right up their in the old noggin.  You can pull up the film any time you want to.   I can still see the Ed Sabol films and hear the voice of John Facenda describing in detail that great game that no longer exists.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

... GMs and even Head Coaches-using the team as a template to showcase minority hiring for the league. That experiment gave us Woody's first head coach hiring of a person who should have never been given that position and has been out the game except as an announcer, amazing.

Ummm, Herm Edwards has a better win percentage as Jets HC than the 5 guys that have come after him, and is currently (since 2018) the HC of the Arizona State Sun Devils who are ranked 18th in the nation - much higher than the Jets who are in a smaller sample pool.

I agree with almost all you said, but Herm wasn't the worst HC we ever had. In fact, in the history of NY Jets, there are only 3 other HC's with a better win percentage than Herm - Sammy Baugh, Bill Parcels and (believe it or not) Al Groh.

Woody's only direct hire was Rex Ryan, who took us to two AFC Championship Games in a row, and if that's who you're referring to as "should never have been given that position," I disagree. Ryan's downfall was his gas bagging, and his stubborn loyalty to over-the-hill players.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

This should be required reading for the flood of twerps coming on here lately and accusing Jets fans of no patience or having an "instant gratification" mentality. 

I’ve only read the 1st line of Moby Dick…..I’ll be a monkey’s uncle to read that thing. 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Old habits you have to look at the bright side of what you posted.  There's a lot of nostalgia and good memories tied up in your post.  You should stop being invested in the linear nature of time.   You might be eating a sh*t sandwich but if you think hard enough you can almost taste that great steak you had from Peter Lugars in 1975 before that got screwed up.   You still love NFL Football just not today's NFL football.  It's all right up their in the old noggin.  You can pull up the film any time you want to.   I can still see the Ed Sabol films and hear the voice of John Facenda describing in detail that great game that no longer exists.  

This just rocks da house. Facenda was a legend.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Ummm, Herm Edwards has a better win percentage as Jets HC than the 5 guys that have come after him, and is currently (since 2018) the HC of the Arizona State Sun Devils who are ranked 18th in the nation - much higher than the Jets who are in a smaller sample pool.

I agree with almost all you said, but Herm wasn't the worst HC we ever had. In fact, in the history of NY Jets, there are only 3 other HC's with a better win percentage than Herm - Sammy Baugh, Bill Parcels and (believe it or not) Al Groh.

Woody's only direct hire was Rex Ryan, who took us to two AFC Championship Games in a row, and if that's who you're referring to as "should never have been given that position," I disagree. Ryan's downfall was his gas bagging, and his stubborn loyalty to over-the-hill players.

All I can say about that is having a better record than 5 Jets coaches is nothing to hang a hat on my friend, besides, Edwards, 41-44 Mangini,23-26 and Ryan 50-52 they all have almost the exact same win % if you include the playoff games, and their records pretty much prove the whole point I was making-that with whatever coach, GM or staff gets hired miraculously under this family's ownership NOTHING ever changes

4 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

So for me, I simply have chosen to stay out of these woods and try to find myself something more creative and constructive to do with the time that I have left on this planet than watching the Johnson Family Jets. 

BWS- beach, weed and sex.

5 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

OLD HABITS DIE HARD

My avatar picture shows frame 352 from the ficonic Patterson-Gimlin film when "Patty" looks back at Roger Patterson while on horseback and trying to see if they are chasing after her with that camera or not. The one consistent thing I have seen and read about those who have experienced sightings and interactions with Sasquatch people is how those experiences have in many cases, taken away a part of their lives that they loved. Historically many Sasquatch sightings are simply hunters, hikers, or campers who grew up loving the outdoors and had spent many days and nights in the woods with nature. What happens to these enthusiasts is that many of them just stop going hunting and camping and hiking in the woods. Something once dear to them is stolen from their lives 

I feel that the Johnson family's ownership has done the same type of thing to me. They've managed to take away my love of NFL football. Since the first game I watched on TV with my father on New Year's Eve day of 1967 going into 1968 on our big RCA color TV in our living room that day, the Dallas Cowboys were playing the Green Bay Packers in what would come to be known as "The Ice Bowl" one of the greatest games in the sports' history and well, that game sealed it for me. As the New Year started, in our area there was a craving for another sports hero in a city that had always seemed to have its share, spanning generations from Ruth to Mantle thus ushering in the Era of Broadway Joe Willie Namath and he was ready, willing AND very much able to assume the weight of the crown atop his  bushy-haired head. Make no mistake you younger guys, by the time the next 400 days had passed with the New York Jets winning that great Super Bowl III game the Joe Namath Star was as big of a phenomenon as even all of those legendary Yankees had ever been. That next year was unlike anything we had ever seen, at least in my lifetime  there was a sunglass-wearing star lounging poolside in Miami Beach  GUARANTEEING a Jets victory, then with that prediction coming true there was a ticker tape parade, TV show appearances of ALL kids, Dean Martin Show, Flip Wilson Show, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. There were the Celebrity Roasts, movie roles, STARRING movie rolls! CC and Company, The Last Rebel, a real. stinkaroo with Glen Campbell called Norwood, but he WAS out there. Also, you can't forget that his club Bachelors III had him on the FRONT pages tearfully battling  Commisioner Pete Rozelle . One this was for sure the Jets were a big ticket item as the 1970's rolled over. These were the times that turned all of us into Jets fans. 

Fast Forward to the late 90's Leon Hess' health was failing and his kids wanted out and were perfectly ready for a big payout and so the Jets were up for sale. When they awarded Woody Johnson the team over The Dolan's we had hope. There were ex stars like Joe Klecko making promo videos, touting the need for the Jets finally have their own stadium on the West Side of Manhattan. Along with that Woody had also 'promised' to bring another Super Bowl back to the Jets lonely trophy case. That made it two broken promises right off the bat. For me though seeing the league office being forced to hold the hands of the Johnson ownership group to help them choose team presidents, GMs and even Head Coaches-using the team as a template to showcase minority hiring for the league. That experiment gave us Woody's first head coach hiring of a person who should have never been given that position and has been out the game except as an announcer, amazing. We had a team in the world's biggest market who had owners who had no offing idea of how to run an NFL team. One would think that by now going into it's third decade of owning the Jets they would have learned something by now. Instead, the Jets are the laughing stock of the league, who can't win, hire the right people , draft the right players, or even get the team it's own identity with a home stadium.

The Johnson's and their incompetence have managed to rip from my heart the last sport that I could even stand watching anymore. Something that was once big part of my life, (and the last sport that I could stand even watching anymore) that I have tried to hold onto. On Sundays my best friend Steve and I would actually play 1 on 1 tackle football at the Washington School playground. Our greatest game was played in the mud, we were Jets fans through and through. we were both scrubs on our High School teams me a QB, and Steve a WR and we'd play catch up and down Locust Avenue from the Cranford line to the Westfield line. Running plays and patterns until we couldn't see the ball anymore. Today, Steve tells me that he hasn't watched a game in years-and  he's not the only one of guys who I grew up with who were giant Jets fans (sorry) but can no longer care about the team or the game any longer. It's sad.

These days on my 54th season as a fan of the New York Jets, a  team that has just passed the mark of having lost twice as many games as it has won (including playoffs 229-461) and also  as a member of pretty good standing in his 17th year here at The Nation, I find that I still like to peruse the boards and see more and more what this team ownership has been doing to the rest of you guys. When I read stuff like "I've Finally Done It"  and "Call Me When The Johnsons Sell" I know that it's not just me. All I 'DO' know is that unless some type of a miracle occurs my days of watching and "enjoying" football, has been stolen from me. It has been replaced by the bitter choice to either to either continue watching this team lose and to yes, keep being cheated by a league that protects certain team's QBs, while the Jets have lost their starting QB for 6 straight years running*. It's been year after year of such blatantly bad calls that just keep happening because of ownership that has no idea that they should be voicing their displeasure to the league office when it is so frigging obvious to us who know the game and can see how these one or two or more bad calls a game end up costing the Jets losses every single year now.what's worse is how they never even seem even out like they used to. Remember when it would work like that? Say a bad call happens and then somewhere later on in the game WE would get a questionable call to go our way why isn't that happening anymore? Watching the team I loved and especially us fans get cheated in every way making it hurt all day on Sundays and that sh*tty feeling that rolls over into Monday kind of like that putrid smell that witnesses describe that emanates from the Sasquatch encounters.

So for me, I simply have chosen to stay out of these woods and try to find myself something more creative and constructive to do with the time that I have left on this planet than watching the Johnson Family Jets. 

* OK I did the research and the Jets haven't had a QB start all 16 games sing Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015 and in the last 20 seasons they have only had their QB start all 16 games 6 times that's 30% and in those 6 seasons they have only made the playoffs twice 2006 with Chad going 10-6 and then 2010 with Mark Sanchez going 11-5.

QFT.

Yep.

IDK, man. The jets sucked pretty bad while owned by Hess.

The record under Woody is 150 - 176. (If i counted correctly)

I didn't count them all up from 63' to 99' but it didn't look much different.

They had, what, 12 straight losing seasons after the SB win?

Jets have sucked forever.

Not supporting or disavowing Woody. He might be the worst, I'm not in the board room so I can't say but I thinks it's safe to say we've sucked across our history.

11 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Days when The Sporting News was your lifeline. 

Days when Inside the NFL on HBO was the best highlights show captured by Sabol's NFL Films. If you LOVED football you never missed it. If my memory serves me correctly Inside the NFL aired late on Thursday night at 11pm est, then 7 pm est on Friday, and 11am on Saturday. Let's not forget The Sporting News Pro Football Guide you had to have that came out annually in bookstores near you around August in preparation for the season to come. Brent Musberger, John Madden/Pat Summeral, Jimmy the Greek, CBS owned the NFC games, and NBC the AFC games, with Monday Night Football on ABC. Let's end this nostalgic post remembering the legendary draftnik Joel Buchsbaum who coined the phrase, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

This post was brought to you by Isotoner Gloves. This Christmas take care of the hands that take care of you with Isotoner Gloves.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

OLD HABITS DIE HARD

My avatar picture shows frame 352 from the ficonic Patterson-Gimlin film when "Patty" looks back at Roger Patterson while on horseback and trying to see if they are chasing after her with that camera or not. The one consistent thing I have seen and read about those who have experienced sightings and interactions with Sasquatch people is how those experiences have in many cases, taken away a part of their lives that they loved. Historically many Sasquatch sightings are simply hunters, hikers, or campers who grew up loving the outdoors and had spent many days and nights in the woods with nature. What happens to these enthusiasts is that many of them just stop going hunting and camping and hiking in the woods. Something once dear to them is stolen from their lives 

I feel that the Johnson family's ownership has done the same type of thing to me. They've managed to take away my love of NFL football. Since the first game I watched on TV with my father on New Year's Eve day of 1967 going into 1968 on our big RCA color TV in our living room that day, the Dallas Cowboys were playing the Green Bay Packers in what would come to be known as "The Ice Bowl" one of the greatest games in the sports' history and well, that game sealed it for me. As the New Year started, in our area there was a craving for another sports hero in a city that had always seemed to have its share, spanning generations from Ruth to Mantle thus ushering in the Era of Broadway Joe Willie Namath and he was ready, willing AND very much able to assume the weight of the crown atop his  bushy-haired head. Make no mistake you younger guys, by the time the next 400 days had passed with the New York Jets winning that great Super Bowl III game the Joe Namath Star was as big of a phenomenon as even all of those legendary Yankees had ever been. That next year was unlike anything we had ever seen, at least in my lifetime  there was a sunglass-wearing star lounging poolside in Miami Beach  GUARANTEEING a Jets victory, then with that prediction coming true there was a ticker tape parade, TV show appearances of ALL kids, Dean Martin Show, Flip Wilson Show, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. There were the Celebrity Roasts, movie roles, STARRING movie rolls! CC and Company, The Last Rebel, a real. stinkaroo with Glen Campbell called Norwood, but he WAS out there. Also, you can't forget that his club Bachelors III had him on the FRONT pages tearfully battling  Commisioner Pete Rozelle . One this was for sure the Jets were a big ticket item as the 1970's rolled over. These were the times that turned all of us into Jets fans. 

Fast Forward to the late 90's Leon Hess' health was failing and his kids wanted out and were perfectly ready for a big payout and so the Jets were up for sale. When they awarded Woody Johnson the team over The Dolan's we had hope. There were ex stars like Joe Klecko making promo videos, touting the need for the Jets finally have their own stadium on the West Side of Manhattan. Along with that Woody had also 'promised' to bring another Super Bowl back to the Jets lonely trophy case. That made it two broken promises right off the bat. For me though seeing the league office being forced to hold the hands of the Johnson ownership group to help them choose team presidents, GMs and even Head Coaches-using the team as a template to showcase minority hiring for the league. That experiment gave us Woody's first head coach hiring of a person who should have never been given that position and has been out the game except as an announcer, amazing. We had a team in the world's biggest market who had owners who had no offing idea of how to run an NFL team. One would think that by now going into it's third decade of owning the Jets they would have learned something by now. Instead, the Jets are the laughing stock of the league, who can't win, hire the right people , draft the right players, or even get the team it's own identity with a home stadium.

The Johnson's and their incompetence have managed to rip from my heart the last sport that I could even stand watching anymore. Something that was once big part of my life, (and the last sport that I could stand even watching anymore) that I have tried to hold onto. On Sundays my best friend Steve and I would actually play 1 on 1 tackle football at the Washington School playground. Our greatest game was played in the mud, we were Jets fans through and through. we were both scrubs on our High School teams me a QB, and Steve a WR and we'd play catch up and down Locust Avenue from the Cranford line to the Westfield line. Running plays and patterns until we couldn't see the ball anymore. Today, Steve tells me that he hasn't watched a game in years-and  he's not the only one of guys who I grew up with who were giant Jets fans (sorry) but can no longer care about the team or the game any longer. It's sad.

These days on my 54th season as a fan of the New York Jets, a  team that has just passed the mark of having lost twice as many games as it has won (including playoffs 229-461) and also  as a member of pretty good standing in his 17th year here at The Nation, I find that I still like to peruse the boards and see more and more what this team ownership has been doing to the rest of you guys. When I read stuff like "I've Finally Done It"  and "Call Me When The Johnsons Sell" I know that it's not just me. All I 'DO' know is that unless some type of a miracle occurs my days of watching and "enjoying" football, has been stolen from me. It has been replaced by the bitter choice to either to either continue watching this team lose and to yes, keep being cheated by a league that protects certain team's QBs, while the Jets have lost their starting QB for 6 straight years running*. It's been year after year of such blatantly bad calls that just keep happening because of ownership that has no idea that they should be voicing their displeasure to the league office when it is so frigging obvious to us who know the game and can see how these one or two or more bad calls a game end up costing the Jets losses every single year now.what's worse is how they never even seem even out like they used to. Remember when it would work like that? Say a bad call happens and then somewhere later on in the game WE would get a questionable call to go our way why isn't that happening anymore? Watching the team I loved and especially us fans get cheated in every way making it hurt all day on Sundays and that sh*tty feeling that rolls over into Monday kind of like that putrid smell that witnesses describe that emanates from the Sasquatch encounters.

* OK I did the research and the Jets haven't had a QB start all 16 games sing Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015 and in the last 20 seasons they have only had their QB start all 16 games 6 times that's 30% and in those 6 seasons they have only made the playoffs twice 2006 with Chad going 10-6 and then 2010 with Mark Sanchez going 11-5.

If you are not one of us fans who have been rooting for 50 years or more you may  not get the full feel of this.  However many of us will die never seeing another or a first Jet championship team.

Most of us have  accepted a culture of losing,

Thanks for the honest responses to this "article"and for some reason I keep thinking about guys like Savage who passed away after all those years waiting for another Super Bowl, going to all those games. Then I remember Night Stalker, my brothers Vietnam Veteran comrade who was stuck in some sweaty jungle while the Jets "only" game was being played and he missed seeing it live. Guys like me and scions right above me here, hey we're the lucky ones, we got to SEE that game live on TV on that freezing cold gray January day. Then there are all of the guys who were either too young or not yet even born yet, guys like Maxman and Tom Shane and Johnny job, AFJF, all the guys who came over from JI after Sooth sold out these cats in their late 30's amend 40's who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars, cold hard cash on this team, sitting through game after game, home and away, season after season of who knows what to even call it anymore. The worst part of it all the thing that really sticks in my craw are the bad game changing calls on 3rd downs that absolutely have caused the Jets to lose countless games over the past two decades. Like that roughing the passer call that could have changed the whole game instead of giving whoever that was Atlanta Denver I can't even remember another 5-6 straight minutes to gas the Jets defense.The 1st down they gave New England a couple of years ago just GIVING it to them when the ball was a yard short, and to not even hear a word of protest from the owners. I could on and on but what's the point, all I DO know is that tomorrow at 1:00PM I won't be watching the Jets as they're getting destroyed by the Bengals and the crooked ass officials who are under some orders to use OUR team to help the numbers all work out right for the gambling establishment, with nary a word from our uncaring ownership team. They've ruined the game -for us, the Jets fans anyway.Sad is right.

• Sympathy 1

Days when Inside the NFL on HBO was the best highlights show captured by Sabol's NFL Films. If you LOVED football you never missed it. If my memory serves me correctly Inside the NFL aired late on Thursday night at 11pm est, then 7 pm est on Friday, and 11am on Saturday. Let's not forget The Sporting News Pro Football Guide you had to have that came out annually in bookstores near you around August in preparation for the season to come. Brent Musberger, John Madden/Pat Summeral, Jimmy the Greek, CBS owned the NFC games, and NBC the AFC games, with Monday Night Football on ABC. Let's end this nostalgic post remembering the legendary draftnik Joel Buchsbaum who coined the phrase, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

This post was brought to you by Isotoner Gloves. This Christmas take care of the hands that take care of you with Isotoner Gloves.

The good ol days. When football was football

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2