Saleh: This is the first time this fanbase has experienced something like this. This is an actual plan.

Mangini was hired on for a clean slate rebuild.  Like Saleh and Bowles.  QB is the most important position and they realized that.  For 2006 they tried to do it on the cheap and didn't tie themselves to anybody.  They had Pennington coming back, they made a mid/low level trade for Patrick Ramsey and they drafted Clemens, a kid with potential, but not somebody they were force to start.

The first year Pennington came back and was able to run the offense but a limited chicken arm that any decent D would feast on.  They dumped Ramsey and Clemens was a backup level player.  Second year Pennington predictably gets dinged hey are ****ed.  They had tried bringing Tuiasosopo from the Raiders and he couldn't beat out Clemens.

Mangini is supposed to stress Oline, but he dicked around with Pete Kendall and cut him right before the season, rolling with Adrien Clarke, a disaster of epic proportions.  They stuck with Anthony Clement, on his last legs, at RT.  The team predictably tanks and they are forced to go hard after 2008.  They end up paying Faneca a fortune.  They take a gamble on Woody that really pays off and they trade for Favre who is bouncing from NFC to AFC so that he can come back to the division in Minnesota.  They trade for Jenkins and sign Pace, Richardson, Ty Law and Bubba Franks among others.   They have a cakewalk schedule and still fail to make the playoffs.  People want to blame Favre's "injury" but Kris Jenkins plays all 16, Revis makes the pro bowl and they are 18th in points allowed, 16th in yards.

Guy deservedly gets fired.  If you don't think he is a douche read that book by the practice squad TE that talks about his Napoleonic bullsh*t making DBs that joined the team a week ago know the name of every player on the 90 man's cat.  **** him.  

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Saleh touched on a lot of big picture, rebuild stuff in todays press conference - a really good listen.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/robert-saleh-press-conference-11-22-week-12

These guys are laying a foundation for the future and doing things the right way. I'm wholly convinced Saleh and JD are going to turn this around.  

Talk is cheap.  Let's see it actually happen.  So far, I see blowout losses.  

FTR, I'm not saying he can't turn things around.  I haven't given up on him.  But so far I'm not seeing anything that screams "this is the guy"

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

FTR, I'm not saying he can't turn things around.  I haven't given up on him.  But so far I'm not seeing anything that screams "this is the guy"

I agree, but in addition to those blowout losses, they also beat two pretty good teams.  We often complain when the team only beats powderpuffs that is shows they won't go anywhere.  I am hoping this means something positive. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree, but in addition to those blowout losses, they also beat two pretty good teams.  We often complain when the team only beats powderpuffs that is shows they won't go anywhere.  I am hoping this means something positive. 

That's true.  Good point.

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Rex won with Mangini's players but Mangini couldn't win with Mangini's players.

Therefore, Rex was the better coach.

Did you miss the part that Mangini's team was developing then Woody $tepped in to $ell Farve jerseys? The narrative at the time was the Kellen Clemens couldnt cut it, yet he lasted TWELVE years in the NFL as a back up and spot starter. Mangini never had a chance after they traded for an aging Farve. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Scary part for us this week--especially if Zack starts--is that Houston made the Titans (one of our wins) look awful on Sunday.  The Texans got four picks against Tannehill.   WTF is going to happen if Zack or White play?

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right?  I was expecting the rebuild to be dont in 2, 3 tops games

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Did you miss the part that Mangini's team was developing then Woody $tepped in to $ell Farve jerseys? The narrative at the time was the Kellen Clemens couldnt cut it, yet he lasted TWELVE years in the NFL as a back up and spot starter. Mangini never had a chance after they traded for an aging Farve. 

Mangini wanted to sign Favre. He offered to name his son after Favre if he signed w/the Jets fcol.

Teams shared in the revenue from those Favre jerseys.  They would have made the same money if he signed in Minny

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Texans also beat the titans 

That does not make the Texans a good football team. It’s a any Sunday type of win more then anything. The Dolphins are not a good football team, neither were the falcons or panthers. 

The Jets are a bad football team. Mostly because the defense side of the ball is as bald as you can get in depth and talent.

Rolling into 2021 with this defense on paper was negligence in my mind. We also mismanaged the QB position in a remarkable way.

They can put out all this rah rah plan stuff we have heard for years, but the execution on said plan has been waffling. In the end. Like it or love it, you are judged by wins and loses. The Jets have gotten dominated by most teams they play and on the flip side have dominated no one. Scraped through 2 tough wins.

The dolphins game, with Flacco who didn’t throw one int, and the Dolphins Still covering exposed the Jets. They have a tonnnn of work on their so called “plan”

23 minutes ago, dcJet said:

OK, let's call it two suck years for JD.

In point differential (competitiveness), approx numbers....

Bengals were -150 and  -100 points in their 1st and 2nd suck years before turning it around in year three.

We were -200 and on pace for -250 in our 1st and 2nd suck years.

Bengals are way ahead of us in the 2nd suck year is my point as to why it's not a good comparison.

That's assuming that the strength of schedule is the same which they are not. The Bengals were 4-11-1 in their 2nd suck year, Jets 2-7. Their Offense is now 20th in football, the defense is dead last.

Saleh needs to stfu

stop answering the questions honestly and stop the stream of consciousness blabbering. 

every GM has a plan. They usually try to win before they get fired though.   How many times does a GM clear space, stock pile picks, purge bad contracts, watch the team suck and get fired ? 75%?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

They can put out all this rah rah plan stuff we have heard for years, but the execution on said plan has been waffling.

Theyre building through the draft.  If you expected the entire offense and defense to be rebuilt in 2 drafts then its on you

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Heard it but I never fully bought that story

You don't buy it? OK, but Zack Brett Mangini is his son's name.

Zack Brett Mangini was born early Friday -- also Favre's 39th birthday -- and the Jets coach and his wife, Julie, gave their third son a middle name fit for an iconic, gunslinging quarterback.

"I think he thinks it's pretty cool," Mangini said of Favre. "I think the more interesting, ironic, I don't know what word you'd use, is the fact he was born on Brett's birthday."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You don't buy it? OK, but Zack Brett Mangini is his son's name.

Not denying he was named Brett. Just that it was after Favre. I mean it is a pretty common name and Mangini hadnt coached him prior to the Jets so it seemed to me like more of a convenient story line than actual fact. I could be wrong 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theyre building through the draft.  If you expected the entire offense and defense to be rebuilt in 2 drafts then its on you

You don’t build teams through drafts unless your a mad man

you build through a mix of fa and drafting

JD whiffed yet again in FA on defense bring in jerrod Davis who has been a disaster and injury prone Lawson who didn’t play a snap. Rankings? Another bad signing. Rolling with this secondary? How has that worked out. He’s a bad gm

• Upvote 1

This is your narrative?  Kellen Clemens was in the NFL for 12 years so they should have given him a chance?  He has started 21 games in the NFL and won 8 of them.  He has never thrown for over 290 yards and has more INTs than TDs.  He averages well under 200 yards per start and is under 55%. 

Meanwhile, the "aging Farve [sic]"  made the pro bowl in 2008 and 2009, threw for 4,200 (200 more than Clemens had in his career) 33/7 and 68% in 2009 heading to the conference championship.  I think he had 6 games over 300 yards. 

The idea that smug little **** would still be around if they didn't trade for Favre is laughable.   They'd have gone 5-11 and I would not have to read this insufferable Manginious bullsh*t.  The team he developed went 4-12.  They went all in on vets and were one game over .500 playing a -2.84 SOS.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Parcells took a 1-15 team and blew out Seattle in his first game.  

Parcells took over a 1-15 that had talent and shouldnt have been a 1 win team.

This team has less developed talent, they went into the season to watch players develop and mature. Parcells went into the season with talent and an edict by the owner to win right away because he had two years to live.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Parcells took over a 1-15 that had talent and shouldnt have been a 1 win team.

This team has less developed talent, they went into the season to watch players develop and mature. Parcells went into the season with talent and an edict by the owner to win right away because he had two years to live.  

If we had that CS here this year, we'd look a lot better.

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Not denying he was named Brett. Just that it was after Favre. I mean it is a pretty common name and Mangini hadnt coached him prior to the Jets so it seemed to me like more of a convenient story line than actual fact. I could be wrong 

He was given the middle name in honor of Favre.  Not because its common name

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3636994

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You don’t build teams through drafts unless your a mad man

you build through a mix of fa and drafting

JD whiffed yet again in FA on defense bring in jerrod Davis who has been a disaster and injury prone Lawson who didn’t play a snap. Rankings? Another bad signing. Rolling with this secondary? How has that worked out. He’s a bad gm

You dont build teams through the draft?  

Thank you for that bit of kevinism.  

You really have no idea what youre talking about 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I think he's saying that you don't do it 100% through the draft.

I said we're building through the draft and he says you dont.

Then talks about the FAs we signed.  Hes all over the place

No one is saying you build 100% through the draft, including JD.  But the term is build through the draft 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

That does not make the Texans a good football team. It’s a any Sunday type of win more then anything. The Dolphins are not a good football team, neither were the falcons or panthers. 

The Jets are a bad football team. Mostly because the defense side of the ball is as bald as you can get in depth and talent.

Rolling into 2021 with this defense on paper was negligence in my mind. We also mismanaged the QB position in a remarkable way.

They can put out all this rah rah plan stuff we have heard for years, but the execution on said plan has been waffling. In the end. Like it or love it, you are judged by wins and loses. The Jets have gotten dominated by most teams they play and on the flip side have dominated no one. Scraped through 2 tough wins.

The dolphins game, with Flacco who didn’t throw one int, and the Dolphins Still covering exposed the Jets. They have a tonnnn of work on their so called “plan”

How so. They had a young QB learning new systems with a new CS. Zach needed to get reps from the get go and having gotten those starts , he will be much better for it next season. 

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we had that CS here this year, we'd look a lot better.

Yea I think it's safe to say Parcells, Belichick, Weiss, Crennel, Groh, Haley & Mangini would have done a better job than a bunch of guys who are a step up in the coaching ladder for the first time. Part of this process is the entire CS is doing OTJT this season. 

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Wow!  Thanks for the insight.  The point is that there are reasons to expect this kind of season even when you are headed in the right direction.  There is no guarantee or even likelihood things will go right, but this kind of plan can work.  If things continue like this, we are ****ed.  The fact is, even when things start off great you are usually still ****ed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Reading comprehension wasn’t your strong point most likely

Re-read my post and rejoin the big kids table 

The post where you claim you dont build teams with the draft?  

And then bitch and moan that two of his FA signings are injured?  

Reading comprehension isnt my strong point though

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Did you read my whole post? Or are you just conveniently ignoring the part where I said "No one is saying the Jets will be the 1990's Cowboys, I'm just saying this is what it looks like in year 1 with a new coaching staff installing new systems and playing lots of rookies."?

He's not really listening to anyone's point of view.  He already has an opinion and no one will convince him otherwise.  Trolls like to troll.  His screen name says it all and we really never needed to know anything more.  I do admire your thread content though so keep firing away.  

• Upvote 2