Why are we being so friggin impatient with Zach?

LSJF

I thought this was Wilson’s best all around game this year. Definite signs of improvement. There were errant throws, but he was by and large accurate today. His problems came today when he was under pressure. Whenever he feels heat, he starts bailing the pocket prematurely, his footwork goes to crap and the ball starts spraying all over the place. I really do think he’s scared of getting hit.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, LSJF said:

This wasn’t on our quarterback, give me a break, did you see defense, The kicker, I guess it’s all Zach’s  fault…. The Jets suck, but haters gonna hate

Yep I do hate losers. It's true! We're talking about sports, right?

29 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If you focus solely on Zach and his throws then what you see is a young QB making many terrible mistakes over and over. If you are looking past that you will see a receiving group dropping too many catchable passes (some are not clean but still catchable) and an offensive line that isn't giving our young QB much time to process. Zach definatly needs to be held accountable for some of his mistakes but he is not the only problem we have right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

That’s a fair take 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LSJF said:

My bad it was all Zach’s  fault…. It wasn’t his goddamn fault, not saying he’s arrived, keep wearing the Zach Hating glasses

I know it's easier for you to paint me and those like me as a monolithic force that distills down the outputs of complex systems to one input. So I'll just let you enjoy the movie in your head with you cast in the heroic role.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

I know it's easier for you to paint me and those like me as a monolithic force that distills down the outputs of complex systems to one input. So I'll just let you enjoy the movie in your head with you cast in the heroic role.

And I will let you enjoy your monolithic force, The defense was awesome, Saleh is a hell of a coach, it’s just a quarterback I know it is, it’s all his fault, get rid of him, until the next quarterback, get rid of him too… eff the haters…. The movie in my head does not involve the Jets… unless you mean the cheerleaders

Just now, LSJF said:

And I will let you enjoy your monolithic force, The defense was awesome, Saleh is a hell of a coach, it’s just a quarterback I know it is, it’s all his fault, get rid of him, until the next quarterback, get rid of him too… eff the haters…. The movie in my head does not involve the Jets… unless you mean the cheerleaders

It's so much easier for you when you get to have your opinion and mine!

This seems like a one person convo, so I'll leave you to it.

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I thought this was Wilson’s best all around game this year. Definite signs of improvement. There were errant throws, but he was by and large accurate today. His problems came today when he was under pressure. Whenever he feels heat, he starts bailing the pocket prematurely, his footwork goes to crap and the ball starts spraying all over the place. I really do think he’s scared of getting hit.

Anyway, back to two way conversation, it was his best half of a game. Apparently the halftime adjustments overwhelmed LaFleur/Zach or perhaps both. He plays like a hare looking for its burrow when there's pressure. He needs to learn and ultimately master the art of the half side step, step up, shoulder shrug away from the rush to open up a throwing window.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Anyone who didn't see Zach's progress today is blind or a hater. He didn't play great or play flawlessly but as a whole this was his best game as a pro. He showed improvements in areas of weakness. He took what the defense gave him, hit plenty of checkdowns, he targeted Moore a bunch, his short accuracy was improved, and his INT was on an airmailed throw; at least it wasn't on a bad read or didn't see a defender. He had a very good first half and was on his way to a nice overall game until the TOP became wildly lopsided in the second half. 

How do you think Minshew did?

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm struggling to think of too many rookie QB's who were really good and didn't go on to be good.

The obvious guy is RGIII but that's probably because his leg fell off. 

Their study was mainly on passing. The general sense on running QB’s is that the early returns will likely be good and then who the **** knows. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Depends what you mean by “really good” but Mayfield is already headed down that path to a degree - the browns are considering not giving him another contract. 

Mayfield is good enough to stick around the league. That’s why FO structures most of their ideas around the concept of replacement. Mayfield is around the threshold for that. Is that worth #1 overall? Depends on what your threshold is for what’s worth having an average QB. Theirs say maybe.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Anyone who didn't see Zach's progress today is blind or a hater. He didn't play great or play flawlessly but as a whole this was his best game as a pro. He showed improvements in areas of weakness. He took what the defense gave him, hit plenty of checkdowns, he targeted Moore a bunch, his short accuracy was improved, and his INT was on an airmailed throw; at least it wasn't on a bad read or didn't see a defender. He had a very good first half and was on his way to a nice overall game until the TOP became wildly lopsided in the second half. 

The TOP became wildly lopsided because he played poorly in the 2nd half.

0 points.

Once again again he failed to play a full game and once again turned the ball over.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mayfield is good enough to stick around the league. That’s why FO structures most of their ideas around the concept of replacement. Mayfield is around the threshold for that. Is that worth #1 overall? Depends on what your threshold is for what’s worth having an average QB. Theirs say maybe.

I would say you have to be a guy who is not replaced in the prime or your career to be considered worth it - but that’s just me. 

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would say you have to be a guy who is not replaced in the prime or your career to be considered worth it - but that’s just me. 

It's hard to fathom them letting him walk. Mayfield is asking for a certain amount of money and the Browns probably want to pay less. Seems like the classic story with the same inevitable outcome we've seen a billion times. Then again it's the Browns.

13 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

0 points.

Once again again he failed to play a full game and once again turned the ball over.

He had one possession.

The Eagles opened with a long drive, the Jets went three-and-out, the Eagles followed with another long drive that stretched into the fourth. Somehow, in your mind, that translates to being Zach's fault?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

0 points.

Everybody will turn it over, in case you missed that part of the nfl.  He took a small step today. Progress.  That is all

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's hard to fathom them letting him walk. Mayfield is asking for a certain amount of money and the Browns probably want to pay less. Seems like the classic story with the same inevitable outcome we've seen a billion times. Then again it's the Browns.

I tend to agree, but I think the fact that it is even being talked about shows how disappointing Mayfield’s trajectory has been post rookie year. People thought he was gonna be a perennial top 10 guy after his rookie year. 

2 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

He had one possession.

The Eagles opened with a long drive, the Jets went three-and-out, the Eagles followed with another long drive that stretched into the fourth. Somehow, in your mind, that translates to being Zach's fault?

One possession with a dropped pass off Coleman's face leading to the three and out. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People should be FAR more upset at the coaching and awful awful awful defense and spacial teams.

Wilson 2 tds and 1 int, 226 yards

Lawrence 145 yards

kyler murray 123 yards

Wentz 158

taylor/mills 94

glennon 187

the boards darling heineke 196 2tds and 1 int

The difference? These teams play defense, get turnovers and have more help.

Our QB lead the team to 3 tds early in the game and special teams and then the defense blew it as usual. 

Then the pressure is on the O to do everything and they fail.

Is Wilson great?  Not so far for a hot shot rookie but others have been worse and the ills of the jets Qb is well down the list right now.

Thank you. 

this defense was non-competitive for the vast majority of the game. Wilson touched the ball once in the 3rd quarter. That is just not acceptable. 

1 hour ago, LSJF said:

This wasn’t on our quarterback, give me a break, did you see defense, The kicker, I guess it’s all Zach’s  fault…. The Jets suck, but haters gonna hate

This is both true and completely irrelevant.  Today's loss is irrelevant.  We know the kicker sucks.  We know the defense sucks.  But, the problem is, the #2 overall pick, at the most important position on the field, also sucks.

He did make more plays early on today, but even his "good" plays, were great catches by the WRs.  The guy, and this is what scares me most, much more than the decision making, is just inaccurate.  The ball is almost never where it needs to be, and that, combined with the lack of touch, leads to a ton of 'drops' that will be picks.

I remember watching a Sports Science with Drew Brees, where he was demolishing moving targets with the ball with pinpoint accuracy.  Wilson is just putting the ball in the vicinity of the WR.  This is scary, because I think decision making can improve -- accuracy, I'm not that confident.

• Upvote 2

I was happy Zach played better today and I feel more positive about the future but let's keep things in perspective...all he proved today is that he belongs on the field and is capable of running an NFL offense... but off course people need take things to the extreme and act like they just witnessed the birth of the next great QB.  Congrats you proved you can run the team as well as Mike White and Josh Johnson. 

7 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

He had one possession.

The offenses response to a long drive was a quick 3 and out. As the QB of our offense yes, that is partly his fault. 

The jets scored on their first 3 drives and then never scored again. Didnt even look like a threat the rest of the game. Is that everyone else's fault?

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

This is both true and completely irrelevant.  Today's loss is irrelevant.  We know the kicker sucks.  We know the defense sucks.  But, the problem is, the #2 overall pick, at the most important position on the field, also sucks.

He did make more plays early on today, but even his "good" plays, were great catches by the WRs.  The guy, and this is what scares me most, much more than the decision making, is just inaccurate.  The ball is almost never where it needs to be, and that, combined with the lack of touch, leads to a ton of 'drops' that will be picks.

I remember watching a Sports Science with Drew Brees, where he was demolishing moving targets with the ball with pinpoint accuracy.  Wilson is just putting the ball in the vicinity of the WR.  This is scary, because I think decision making can improve -- accuracy, I'm not that confident.

I remember watching the scouting films on YouTube, and he did get complement it for his accuracy, the complaint was he would try to fit the ball into small of a window…. It is definitely a bigger level for him to acclimate to, hopefully he won’t another in the long line of busts…

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I can totally agree.

His mechanics and accuracy were smooth as butter until the pressure came. Though it is nice to see his progression overall. It wasn't great, but showed that he can learn and improve which is the most important thing right now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

I was happy Zach played better today and I feel more positive about the future but let's keep things in perspective...all he proved today is that he belongs on the field and is capable of running an NFL offense... but off course people need take things to the extreme and act like they just witnessed the birth of the next great QB.  Congrats you proved you can run the team as well as Mike White and Josh Johnson. 

He played better for 3 drives and then turned back into himself. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Thank you. 

this defense was non-competitive for the vast majority of the game. Wilson touched the ball once in the 3rd quarter. That is just not acceptable. 

But here's the thing.

We can all agree the plan is to replace a bunch of players on the defense, which will likely happen through the draft and free agency.

The plan with the QB is hope that the guy playing at a level probably below Darnold and Sanchez, will at some point become good.

• Upvote 3