Why are we being so friggin impatient with Zach?

LSJF

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll give him credit for the Carolina game, where he played well in his debut, and the Tennessee game, which is of course his best performance to date.  The "comebacks" in other games were no better performances, and probably worse, than a replacement level QB would have accomplished.  He wasn't really the biggest reason we came back in those games.  And he was certainly the biggest reason we fell behind in the first place.  

If you're going to credit Wilson for coming back against Atlanta and Houston, when he still didn't really do a whole lot in those games (he still finished those games with under 200 yards and 0 passing TDs, and a QB rating under 65 - plus both teams are terrible), you have to give credit to Josh Johnson too, who unlike Zach actually put up big numbers in that Indy game.  Simple as that.  

Big numbers in blowout losses don't mean a lot to me because the defense relaxes. I respect what Johnson did but I also think the Colts took the pedal off the gas. Not a big deal either way. 

What impressed me a little about Wilson, even in the Atlanta game, for example, is that he scored late in the game when the Jets needed him to. Even in the Houston game, he played as terribly as I can ever remember a QB playing in the first quarter. Just awful. And yet, he settled down and made some plays when he had to make them (the run at the goal line was just an improv play on his part - the call was a handoff). That's the kind of stuff I look for in rookies. Toughness, ability to overcome some adversity, and raw talent. I can live with a rookie QB putting up bad numbers if I get the sense that we can win with him down the line. If Wilson is still routinely missing WRs and running backs 5-7 yards away in years 2 and 3, then he's absolutely a bust. But I will let him get there first. 

My impression is that Wilson is petrified/amped up to start these games and is basically not functional in these 1st quarters. When Wilson settles down, I think we can score points with him and develop a good offense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

I mean look, every post I make about Zach doesn't contain the totality of my complete beliefs and observations on him. Sometimes I may write "Man, he stinks" without qualifying and clarifying it with the full perspective. But a huge percentage of those posts have mentioned how I (a) have hope (b) don't want him benched (c) want him back next year.

But I get it if someone who isn't on the board much gets the wrong impression about my views. Frank only has 500 posts so that's probably what happened. 

It’s been rough around here lately. My biggest concern is Woody’s relationship with Wilson, flying him on his private Jet, his relationship with JetBlue, hopefully Wilson is not being forced on the CS. It’s almost like the CS is saying look we can do this with any QB but not with Wilson. I am not giving up on the kid at all but he dosent appear to have that much respect in the locker room, see Mike White. It’s seems from the beginning they were force feeding us Wilson when he should have sat, as said many times on the board.

The media hype and PR crap was the best thing Woody has done unfortunately with zero results thus far. I personally think his lack of confidence and fear of throwing multiple pics is paralyzing to him at times. This market is tough on these kids also ( not an excuse). It’s a shame hopefully he can un **** himself. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It’s been rough around here lately. My biggest concern is Woody’s relationship with Wilson, flying him on his private Jet, his relationship with JetBlue, hopefully Wilson is not being forced on the CS. It’s almost like the CS is saying look we can do this with any QB but not with Wilson. I am not giving up on the kid at all but he dosent appear to have that much respect in the locker room, see Mike White. It’s seems from the beginning they were force feeding us Wilson when he should have sat, as said many times on the board.

The media hype and PR crap was the best thing Woody has done unfortunately with zero results thus far. I personally think his lack of confidence and fear of throwing multiple pics is paralyzing to him at times. This market is tough on these kids also ( not an excuse). It’s a shame hopefully he can un **** himself. 

This is a strange and bizarre conspiracy theory.  

Woody Johnson did not force a QB on his GM, team. and fans - because of his relationship with Jet Blue's founder.

ZW is an exceptionally talented prospect that has had an up and down first 6 games...exactly what should be expected.  

His talent is glaring - and commiserate with a top NFL draft pick.  

Wether he ultimately puts it all together is still a big question - but his draft position and playing time has absolutely nothing to do Zach Wilson's uncle or the NY Jets owner.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'll concede.  We are stuck with Zach for 3 years minimum.  Hope the light comes on.
b617fddb19ce2922acbda7ebcda8fbdb.jpg

I don’t believe this narrative at all. If he l finishes out the season the way he’s been playing the FO is going to sign legit competition going into next year. There’s a lot of good pieces in place and I don’t think JD will tolerate another 2-6 win season just to keep getting Wilson reps. It’s a new world at QB, these guys are drafted and thrown to the fire since they get paid pretty darn well right off the bat, but we did not Invest a massive amount in him, meaning we didn’t trade up to get him or give up alot of capital. I think drafting him was a big mistake, but we can easily move on from him (and hopefully do).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Snell41 said:

I don’t believe this narrative at all. If he l finishes out the season the way he’s been playing the FO is going to sign legit competition going into next year. There’s a lot of good pieces in place and I don’t think JD will tolerate another 2-6 win season just to keep getting Wilson reps. It’s a new world at QB, these guys are drafted and thrown to the fire since they get paid pretty darn well right off the bat, but we did not Invest a massive amount in him, meaning we didn’t trade up to get him or give up alot of capital. I think drafting him was a big mistake, but we can easily move on from him (and hopefully do).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

God, I hope you are right.  I just don't see it.  JD is stubborn and RS is his puppet.

4 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Heres where I kind of disagree. I do agree that its clear LaFleur is running a different offense with and without Zach, and his offense looks far better without Zach.

But here is where I disagree, and I think Lafleur is doing a terrible, terrible job with Zach.... With Zach, he is so much more predictable run on first down almost every time and the defense knows its coming and they run blitz. This sets up 2nd and long and puts the huge blitz and press on, which almost inevitably sets up up the same on 3rd down, and on 3rd and long Zach gets killed.

Lafleur being afraid of Wilson is putting Wilson in far worse situations becuase of this, and someone needs to step in.

You have basically 2 options, org agree to sit Wilson until Lafleur won't setup this run/run/pass model, or, Lafleur needs to figure out a way to put Zach in better situations. 

What Lafleur is doing now is worst of all situations IMO. Its not helping Zach, and its not helping the team. I have no problem sitting Zach, but if you are going to play him, you absolutely have to stop putting him in predictable situations all the damn time. You can see the defense knows exactly whats coming almost every play.

People keep saying this and it's just flat out wrong.

On the first drive of the game, they opened with a throw.  They ended up throwing it on first down twice and ran it on first down once and kicked a FG.

On the second drive, they opened with a run but then threw it twice resulting in Zach Wilson bouncing a ball off Johnson's back for an INT.

Next drive, they still trust him enough to go, run, pass, pass.  

On their 4th possession of the game, they did the dreadful!!! run, run, pass.  That is clearly killing Zach Wilson.  lol

Oh and then, on their 5th possession.  They went, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass.  lmfao before they ran it twice with Walter for the score.

So, for those counting, that 6 pass attempts on first down vs. 5 run attempts on first down during the first half of the game And only once during those 5 possessions did Lil Mikey call the dreadful run, run, pass.  Once.  1 time.  

lmfao

Lets stop with this narrative.  It's false and Lil Mikey isnt trying to sabotage his own job security and reputation by setting up Zach Wilson to fail.  It's a ridiculous take and it's well, as I clearly displayed above, flat out wrong. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

OK, my turn.

Me:

• Wilson has thus far played like crap (worst rated QB in the NFL)
  • But it's early so I still have hope
  • He needs to play every game and not waste time on White/Johnson/Flacco even if they give us a "better chance to win" in individual games
  • However, I am skeptical of Wilson because QBs rebounding from such poor starts are extremely rare thus I want JD to bring in a legit QB2 should Zach face plant next season
  • I wanted Mac Jones but Zach's here now so I hope he succeeds

You:

"SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The bolded has become the battle cry of the Zach is bad at all costs crowd.  But it's boloney....

All Rookies QB's panning out are all extremely - There are a lot of rookie QB's every year and maybe 15 good QB's in the entire league...The VAST, VAST majority fail.

It is far more rare that the good ones start out good in their first 6 games - And far more likely that the good ones struggled in their first six weeks playing.  

You can continue to spin narratives to justify such a weak position - I find it creative and good for you..

But it's not correct.

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

On the first drive of the game, they opened with a throw.  They ended up throwing it on first down twice and ran it on first down once and kicked a FG.

On the second drive, they opened with a run but then threw it twice resulting in Zach Wilson bouncing a ball off Johnson's back for an INT.

On their 4th possession of the game, they did the dreadful!!! run, run, pass.  That is clearly killing Zach Wilson.  lol

Oh and then, on their 5th possession.  They went, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass.  lmfao before they ran it twice with Walter for the score.

So, for those counting, that 6 pass attempts on first down vs. 5 run attempts on first down during the first half of the game And only once during those 5 possessions did Lil Mikey call the dreadful run, run, pass.  Once.  1 time.  

lmfao

Lets stop with this narrative.  It's false and Lil Mikey isnt trying to sabotage his own job security and reputation by setting up Zach Wilson to fail.  It's a ridiculous take and it's well, as I clearly displayed above, flat out wrong. 

It's amazing how many things and people about the organization a self-proclaimed Real Fan™  needs to malign in order to defend Zach Wilson.

But I'm skeptical about one rookie QB who is currently the worst-rated QB in the league, which includes many rookie QBs. But I'm just a hateful troll who would rather be right on the internet than see the Jets be good!

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lmfao

There was truth to it in Zach's earlier starts, particularly in the 1st half. But it clearly wasn't the case against Houston. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The bolded has become the battle cry of the Zach is bad at all costs cry.  But it's boloney....

All Rookies QB's panning out are all extremely - There are a lot of rookie QB's every year and maybe 15 good QB's in the entire league...The VAST, VAST majority fail.

It is far more rare that the good ones start out good in their first 6 games - And far more likely that the good ones struggled in their first six weeks playing.  

You can continue to spin narratives to justify such a weak position - I find it creative and good for you..

But it's not correct.

Ok so if you believe that saying rookie QBs will likely fail is such an easy position to take, which as you acknowledge is supported by the facts, riddle me this: why do you act like skepticism of Wilson is so freaking triggering?

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lmfao

Im not going to go through and do the math on the first x number of drives, I know what I have seen watching the offense when Wilson is in. The defense knows exactly whats coming, and many of those throws on frist down are short dunk passes into a crowded defense becuuse they know the Jets arent going to throw more than 10 yards. If that makes you feel better about your prognosis, have at it. you and I dont agree, you think Fields is all world, I think hes been Zach Wilson who runs a bit more, Im fine agreeing to disagree. I am not calling Wilson good, but I know what I see out of LaFleurs offense when Wilson is in.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's amazing how many things and people about the organization a self-proclaimed Real Fan™  needs to malign in order to defend Zach Wilson.

But I'm skeptical about one rookie QB who is currently the worst-rated QB in the league, which includes many rookie QBs. But I'm just a hateful troll who would rather be right on the internet than see the Jets be good!

Finally, saying something correct.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

you have a serious hang up on the Real Fan thing bud, I have never seen it once, certainly never said it once, but you keep grasping for that while congratulating yourself for your tremendous track record

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Defend all you want but when it's something you can simply just look up to disprove, I dont even know why you'd float it.  

Exactly zero quarterbacks have been developed in this system, ever, so there isn't a precedent for how long it's supposed to take. Mike Shanahan won with Steve Young and John Elway. Cutler was drafted highly, had early success chucking it, got figured out, never learned to play in structure, and regressed. Same for RGIII. Schaub was brought in when Kyle got to Houston. Atlanta already had Ryan. Garoppolo, trade. Even Jake Plummer was an import.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Defend all you want but when it's something you can simply just look up and disprove, I dont even know why you'd float it.  

Because by definition a position that runs contrary to all evidence (again: I hereby acknolwedge that the sample size is small and Zach's future is not yet carved in granite) must be founded on emotion, which, paradoxically, is both indefensible and unassailable. This is why whenever someone utters the phrase "my truth," I just smile I walk away. That's a no win situation there. You either hammer them with facts and are insensitive, or you compromise your integrity and add to the intellectual decay of the world by elevating their feelings over facts. Sometimes, you just need to let some people live in darkness.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because by definition a position that runs contrary to all evidence (again: I hereby acknolwedge that the sample size is small and Zach's future is not yet carved in granite) must be founded on emotion, which is unprovable and in fact, paradoxically both indefensible and unassailable. This is why whenever in a debate someone utters the phrase "my truth," I just smile I walk away. That's a no win situation there. You either hammer them with facts and are insensitive, or you compromise your integrity and add to the intellectual decay of the world by elevating their feelings over facts. Sometimes, you just need to let some people live in darkness.

wait, I thought you had to run? Glad your back, missed you a bunch

11 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Im not going to go through and do the math on the first x number of drives, I know what I have seen watching the offense when Wilson is in. The defense knows exactly whats coming, and many of those throws on frist down are short dunk passes into a crowded defense becuuse they know the Jets arent going to throw more than 10 yards. If that makes you feel better about your prognosis, have at it. you and I dont agree, you think Fields is all world, I think hes been Zach Wilson who runs a bit more, Im fine agreeing to disagree. I am not calling Wilson good, but I know what I see out of LaFleurs offense when Wilson is in.

Well, you dont need to go through and do the math, I just did it for you.  So, this isnt a feeling or a prognosis, it's fact.  Lil Mikey called more throws on 1st than runs on 1st during the 1st half of the game.  lol

I have no idea what Justin Fields has do with this but I do know for a fact that I never said Fields was all world, that's just putting my words in your mouth to try to help prop yourself up because you cant argue facts and doublding down on invalid statements doesnt make your argument stronger.

This isnt about my opinion of Zach Wilson.  This is me simply showing you that you're wrong in your assessment of how Lil Mikey called the game.  He called more throws on first downs than runs in the first half vs. Houston.  That is fact.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ok so if you believe that saying rookie QBs will likely fail is such an easy position to take, which as you acknowledge is supported by the facts, riddle me this: why do you act like skepticism of Wilson is so freaking triggering?

Skepticism is more than fine.  Skepticism would be to say it's tough for rookies and I don't think he's looked good to date - but it's only been 6 games.

You're making stuff up like Rookies that don't look good after 6 games are somehow an outlier to become successful NFL QB's.  They're NOT.  It's pretty standard.  

Moreover you refuse to acknowledge any of the good he's done, any growth he's made as a player - or the situation he's been put in, specifically those first three weeks.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Give him more time.  He’s only played 6 games.  If you could just throw out his 1st quarters in every game (of course you can’t), you realize how he gets his act together as the game progresses.

I have a feeling that if he solves his 1st quarter problem you’re going to see some monster games out of him, just based on the upping of his confidence level.

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Well, you dont need to go through and do the math, I just did it for you.  So, this isnt a feeling or a prognosis, it's fact.  Lil Mikey called more throws on 1st than runs on 1st during the 1st half of the game.  lol

I have no idea what Justin Fields has do with this but I do know for a fact that I never said Fields was all world, that's just putting my words in your mouth to try to help prop yourself up because you cant argue facts and doublding down on invalid statements doesnt make your argument stronger.

This isnt about my opinion of Zach Wilson.  This is me simply showing you that you're wrong in your assessment of how Lil Mikey called the game.  He called more throws on first downs than runs in the first half vs. Houston.  That is fact.

Yeah, except Im not wrong, my point was more about a predictable offense that the defense knows is coming. The fact that you proved it wrong on a few drives out of the whole season really does not change what I have seen the entire season, and the math Im not doing is on the season for which Zach was in, if you want to go through that and prove me wrong, have had it. 

Wilsons lone strength at this point seems to be a strong arm, yet "lil mikey" insists on keeping the ball within the box, if you think that "lil mikey" is doing a good job, you are entitled, I don't

27 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Exactly zero quarterbacks have been developed in this system, ever, so there isn't a precedent for how long it's supposed to take. Mike Shanahan won with Steve Young and John Elway. Cutler was drafted highly, had early success chucking it, got figured out, never learned to play in structure, and regressed. Same for RGIII. Schaub was brought in when Kyle got to Houston. Atlanta already had Ryan. Garoppolo, trade. Even Jake Plummer was an import.

I always wonder what RGIII would have been without the knee injury

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Good luck with that one lol.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Skepticism is more than fine.  Skepticism would be to say it's tough for rookies and I don't think he's looked good to date - but it's only been 6 games.

I have said that. Probably 50 times. That's a conservative estiamte.

You're making stuff up like Rookies that don't look good after 6 games are somehow an outlier to become successful NFL QB's.  They're NOT.  It's pretty standard.  

Making what up? It's pretty rare the worst-rated QB in the NFL his first year makes a Pro Bowl. In fact, I can't find a single example. Josh Allen was 2nd to last. You may not like the odds, but it would be an outlier. Your quibble is with God or with the universe, not with I.

Moreover you refuse to acknowledge any of the good he's done, any growth he's made as a player - or the situation he's been put in, specifically those first three weeks.

Are you his mother? He's the worst-rated QB in the NFL, Fidelio. That include David Mills a 3rd round rookie on the even-worse Texans. That sucks!

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with Frank. LaFleur clearly waits until Zach is out of the game before he dips into the folder labeled “Good plays that work.” 

Not sure we ever even got to "it's a conspiracy" with Darnold. The tailspin Wilson has sent some into is quite impressive, I must say.

YARN | Send us news of our victory. Shall we retire? | Braveheart (1995) |  Video gifs by quotes | a6e30e15 | 紗

Just now, jgb said:

Not sure we ever even got to "it's a conspiracy" with Darnold. The tailspin Wilson has send some into is quite impressive, I must say.

It's not a conspiracy. It is very clear the way LaFleur runs the first quarter with the other QBs very differently than Wilson. LaFleur's playcalling dramatically improved as the game went on, though.