The Importance of this upcoming Free Agency Period

slimjasi

27 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  It’s going to be more of the same.  JDs best bet is to find middle of the road guys who are looking for an expanded role from where they are currently.   

I'd also take on some behavioral rehab projects on short money. Jets need to find value in FA, we all know this isn't considered a garden destination despite, ironically, being situated in the Garden State.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's not an endorsement it's the reality of the situation.

Mac drafted like sh*t and  spent like a drunk sailor on over the hill RBs and ILBs.

Douglas' first draft leaves a lot to be desired but he seems to have a plan at least.

I fully agree.  I just got a kick out of the sentence you wrote.

• Upvote 1

The narrative that JD doesn't spend in FA is kind of weird. Last year he gave out the 5th most guaranteed dollars during free agency. 9th for total contractual amount. 

Here is a list of the 2021 free agents - ranked by PFF.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

Eleven  of the top 33 players were either QBs or franchise tags. Of the top 22 - we signed two of them (Lawson and Davis). Included in the top 23 were guys like Lavonte David, Trent Williams, Shaq Barret, Richard Sherman, and JJ watt - who were either going to re-sign with their team or were not a good fit here due to age/chasing a ring. 

Its not like there were a ton of guys who signed contracts that we wish we would have taken....

Here is a list of the 2022 per PFF. Some good players! However, yes this list is always a dick tease since half of the top 30ish guys will never actually hit the market. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

We all know about the bevy of draft capital that we have again this offseason. That's great and obviously we need to find some foundational pieces on defense in this draft (hello edge, hello linebackers, hello safety) 

But I want to talk about free agency. As much as I have generally liked JD's approach to restocking this roster, his work in free agency has been underwhelming. I believe we currently lead the league in rookie snaps by a pretty wide margin and have had multiple rookies in the starting lineup for every single week of the season so far. This is not something we want again in 2022. Not if we want to actually compete for something. 

We desperately need veterans - especially on this defense, which is just lost. 

Who should the Jets target? Who would come here? 

I liked Wyatt Teller or Dallas Goedert, but both were recently re-signed. 

There are interesting younger players with athleticism like Foyesade Olukan or David N'Joku. We'll just have to see where their market is. 

On top of that, we're a franchise with a terrible history coming off an abysmal season. Free agents will not being lining up to play here.

Realistically, we're in the bargain bin again for free agents, and we're counting on the draft. Sounds terrible, but I think it's fair to say the three most impressive players on offense this year are AVT, Moore and Carter. If Wilson can take a jump and we can have another draft like last year, we'll be better.

50 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Correct but we don't just need "impact" FAs. We need NFL caliber starters.

TBH, I think we should bolster the roster (offense and defense) with a few mid-level FA deals on dependable vets. Just add some real players (ideally coming from winning orgs) who know WTF they're doing,

Agree but everyone else signs FA

in the immortal words of Jim fassel, you have to do a better job of getting better than the other guy

thats the problem.  The other teams are also drafting and signing guys 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I suspect Joe D's approach to FA is going to change in the next couple of years.  He's been dumpster diving the last few years knowing that he still didn't have a core group of young players to move forward with.  Now that a lot of of the dead money and weight from previous GMs will be coming off the books, and as he improves the roster through the draft, he is going to be more willing to spend money on bigger FAs to supplement the youth movement we are going through now.

Not with you. I don't see JD every being a big player in Day 0/Day 1 FA talent

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

in the immortal words of Jim fassel, you have to do a better job of getting better than the other guy

If every other team stands pat and doesn't replace old, ineffective, retiring players we'll catch up in 3-4 seasons.

JD's plan finally revealed!

11 minutes ago, JerseyJoe67 said:

Saleh is in way  over his head as a HC , no one is gonna want to come to this disaster of an organization.

I actually believe just the opposite.  I think Salah is great.  

We have a bottom 5 roster but have some upside.  Mike Lafleur has been doing great since going up to the booth.  Defense is a dumpster but has about 4 - 5 quality starters. 

It really all depends on Zach Wilson who had a step-in-the-right-direction game yesterday.  The best thing about Zach yesterday was his decision making.  Has to clean up his accuracy as many throws were 1-2 feet off target, but the most important 2 aspects of QB'ing are mental ability to understand the game and read coverages and overall physical ability.  Zach has both and there's reason to be hopeful.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Woah there cowboy.  Jacksonville is definitely a trap game.

37 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Woah there cowboy.  Jacksonville is definitely a trap game.

Don't think I've ever heard before two teams facing off with a (current) combined record of 5-19 referred to as a "trap game" and now I've heard it twice.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one!

It's also incorrect.  There is talent on this team.  Just not enough of it, and there hasn't been enough winning.  It's a long road that will take even longer if we cut bait again after 2-3 years, like we did before. 

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't think I've ever heard before two teams facing off with a (current) combined record of 5-19 referred to as a "trap game" and now I've heard it twice.

The first post (clearly) refers to the Jags playing better than their average.  The second post (clearly) refers to the Jets playing worse than their average.

A trap game of multiple proportions.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It's also incorrect.  There is talent on this team.  Just not enough of it, and there hasn't been enough winning.  It's a long road that will take even longer if we cut bait again after 2-3 years, like we did before. 

You know what he means though.  Every team has some talent.

12 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

The first post (clearly) refers to the Jags playing better than their average.  The second post (clearly) refers to the Jets playing worse than their average.

A trap game of multiple proportions.

Is a double trap as awesome as a double rainbow?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I mean for sure. We have to hope Joe Douglas is better than most at this. If he's not we'll never really get better.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only way to attract FA's to come here without a massive overpay is if Zach Wilson plays great over the final 5 games of the season.

That's it.  That's the whole thing.  If Wilson sucks, we're not getting anyone with options to come here without spending a sh*t ton of money.  

Even if Wilson lights it up we won't be getting anyone with options to come here without a massive overspend. We have become the team where next contracts go to die. The only time players with any name recognition come here is when they know it will be their last contract and they plan to ride off into the sunset on Woody's dime.  This won't change until we at least put together an 8-9 season or better. 

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Even if Wilson lights it up we won't be getting anyone with options to come here without a massive overspend. We have become the team where next contracts go to die. The only time players with any name recognition come here is when they know it will be their last contract and they plan to ride off into the sunset on Woody's dime.  This won't change until we at least put together an 8-9 season or better. 

FA's are happy to go to teams with promising young QB's.  That's been a pretty common theme lately across the league.  The Chargers were bad last year and ended up firing their HC, but they had a great free agency period thanks to Herbert.