How do you grade Joe Douglass across key aspects of his job?

19 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Draft

Trending up:  Wilson

Trending down:  Becton

Look like hits:  Hall, AVT, Moore, Carter, Carter II, Echols (at very least depth)

Look like misses:  Most of 2020 draft class aside from Becton, Hall, Mann and possibly A Davis (depth)

Want to see more:  Pinnock (at safety), 2 converted LBs, DT

2. Low Budget FA + Undrafted

Starters:  JFM, Berrios, Quincy Williams, Kickers

Depth:  Mike White, Huff, Guidry, Riley, Ty Johnson

3. Free Agency

Hits:  Fant, McGovern, Moses

Misses:  Rankins (he’s been bad), GVR, J Davis

Question Marks:  C Davis (down year + injury), C Lawson (very promising pre injury), Joyner (injury)

Note:  consider structure of contracts (eg, out clauses, dead money)

4. Trades

Hits:  LDT, Adams for 2 firsts +, Darnold for high 2nd & 4th + 6th, Herndon for upgrade to 4th

Decent:  A Lewis for 7th

Question Mark:  Leo Williams for 3rd & 5th

5. Coaching

Hit:  Fired Gase

Question Mark:  Saleh

My scores

1. Draft = B- (2021 is very promising W big upside; 2020 is the opposite)

2. Low Budget = A-.  Call him Thrifty Joe.  He’s done a nice job of identifying underutilized / undeveloped / or hidden talent in this bucket.  Gets dinged a bit on place kicker 

3. Free agency = B-.  He has followed his plan and has been superb at structuring contracts and avoiding crushing dead money.  But he doesn’t have enough hits on a team that desperately needs them.  Grade could be higher if not for injuries

4. Trades = A.  Thrifty Joe meet Trader Joe

5. Coaching = TBD.  Helping push Gase out and replacing with arguably the top HC  candidate in the market looked brilliant but jury obviously is still out on Saleh

Pretty fair.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Unless Becton pulls a 180, the only player he’s drafted that will ever sniff a Pro Bowl berth is Vera Tucker, and even that pick was hugely expensive.

All Becton has to do is stay healthy and he makes the Pro Bowl.  People were calling for him to possibly make it as a rookie.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Adam Gase was a visionary

Completely agree.  Only coach to run what seemed to be a 50 year old running back and now boxer up the gut on 30 straight 3rd / 4th & shorts.

That kind of is visionary.  To be fair, it would have worked if he was given the chance to do it a 31st straight chance.  That was the threshold for ‘no way this guy runs the same play again’

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Surely you jest

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Completely agree.  Only coach to run what seemed to be a 50 year old running back and now boxer up the gut on 30 straight 3rd / 4th & shorts.

That kind of is visionary.  To be fair, it would have worked if he was given the chance to do it a 31st straight chance.  That was the threshold for ‘no way this guy runs the same play again’

He saved your beloved franchise from the worst GM in the history of the sport. His offensive personnel featured a pack of guys who should be out of the league right now, plus Jamal Adams (who should also be out of the league).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He saved your beloved franchise from the worst GM in the history of the sport. His offensive personnel featured a pack of guys who should be out of the league right now, plus Jamal Adams (who should also be out of the league).

He also is the main reason I suffer from chronic diarrhea

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

All Becton has to do is stay healthy and he makes the Pro Bowl.  People were calling for him to possibly make it as a rookie.

We all have high hopes for Becton, but Becton needs to have a coming to Jesus moment if he’s going to realize his potential. Go watch the Morgan Moses comments re: Becton. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Unless Becton pulls a 180, the only player he’s drafted that will ever sniff a Pro Bowl berth is Vera Tucker, and even that pick was hugely expensive.

can't say I agree with this at all. And one would expect the vast majority of pro bowlers to be early picks, 1st 2 rounds, so should you really be chiding any GM that his 4th round picks and lower didn't make pro bowls? AVT, Moore certainly have decent chance for it. A Becton resurrection at RT would also be a possibility.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

can't say I agree with this at all. And one would expect the vast majority of pro bowlers to be early picks, 1st 2 rounds, so should you really be chiding any GM that his 4th round picks and lower didn't make pro bowls? AVT, Moore certainly have decent chance for it. A Becton resurrection at RT would also be a possibility.  

For sure, things can change and guys can emerge. I wasn’t chiding Douglas as much as I was contextualizing. Also, i just read an article about Wirfs getting 37 of 51 first-place votes for All-Pro and how he doesn’t care about making All-Pro because it’s all about the team:

““You want to do your best for your teammates who are going out there and grinding every week, and you just want to showcase what you can do on Sundays and not let your teammates down,” Wirfs said. “That’s just kind of my mindset going into games and into the season.”

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Draft

Trending up:  Wilson

Trending down:  Becton

Look like hits:  Hall, AVT, Moore, Carter, Carter II, Echols (at very least depth)

Look like misses:  Most of 2020 draft class aside from Becton, Hall, Mann and possibly A Davis (depth)

Want to see more:  Pinnock (at safety), 2 converted LBs, DT

2. Low Budget FA + Undrafted

Starters:  JFM, Berrios, Quincy Williams, Kickers

Depth:  Mike White, Huff, Guidry, Riley, Ty Johnson

3. Free Agency

Hits:  Fant, McGovern, Moses

Misses:  Rankins (he’s been bad), GVR, J Davis

Question Marks:  C Davis (down year + injury), C Lawson (very promising pre injury), Joyner (injury)

Note:  consider structure of contracts (eg, out clauses, dead money)

4. Trades

Hits:  LDT, Adams for 2 firsts +, Darnold for high 2nd & 4th + 6th, Herndon for upgrade to 4th

Decent:  A Lewis for 7th

Question Mark:  Leo Williams for 3rd & 5th

5. Coaching

Hit:  Fired Gase

Question Mark:  Saleh

My scores

1. Draft = B- (2021 is very promising W big upside; 2020 is the opposite)

2. Low Budget = A-.  Call him Thrifty Joe.  He’s done a nice job of identifying underutilized / undeveloped / or hidden talent in this bucket.  Gets dinged a bit on place kicker 

3. Free agency = B-.  He has followed his plan and has been superb at structuring contracts and avoiding crushing dead money.  But he doesn’t have enough hits on a team that desperately needs them.  Grade could be higher if not for injuries

4. Trades = A.  Thrifty Joe meet Trader Joe

5. Coaching = TBD.  Helping push Gase out and replacing with arguably the top HC  candidate in the market looked brilliant but jury obviously is still out on Saleh

This is solid work.

My summary so far is he’s done a great job creatinging the opportunity for this off-season. lots of picks.   Lots of cap space for free agency.  

It can’t be oversold how important this off-season is.  He wants one more season until he’s expected to compete for the playoffs, and I think he gets it as long as he brings in good players this season.  

Fans will grumble, but the roster was a dumpster fire and the 2020 class didn’t help much.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Essentially, “you have to show up every day and put in the work.”

So hes saying what anyone would say about a player being injured

Moses also said 

“Just being able to see his development pattern over the years, going into his second year, has been great,” Moses said of Becton, via Jets.com. “He's a young, talented player and the sky's the limit for him. Anything I can do for him, just from a knowledge standpoint from football, I'm willing to help him.”

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I feel pretty strongly that going into the season with 0 NFL starts at the QB position and then trading a pick for Flacco is the most indefensible decision Douglas has made. Clearly not a huge deal but just kind of baffling.

I wonder how much of this was a rookie HC and a rookie OC full of "all gas no brake" bravado telling JD "we got this" back in the summer?