The Jets, Mock Drafts, and Darryl Stingley Jr.

While this time of year is fun for us Jets fans because its fantasy and prediction time of a roster we want things will change dramatically by the the time the draft comes around.  Last year this time we were keeping Darnold and the thought was to Draft OT Sewell.  As things turned out we got the QB and were lucky enough to trade up and get AVT who was a good pick for us.  The Chiefs did a tremendous job taking center Creed Humphry and Guard Smith from the Vols.  Those two picks helped solidify their line.  We can't have a line that looked good agains the Jaguars one week and then got blown up by the Bills the next.  

With that being said and at this point in the offseason Edge and OT are still two top needs on this roster that are necessary to fill before taking a CB.

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There are many experts that believe Hamilton is far and away the best player in this draft.  We can't afford to draft a safety that high but there might be multiple teams that believe he's the missing piece.

It's certainly possible someone will find the value in moving up to get him.

Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly reasonable to believe the possibility will be there.

Those "experts" don't really watch tape do they? I will encourage you to go on youtube and watch some of Hamilton's games, and spoiler alert he's not who you think he is

6 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Those "experts" don't really watch tape do they? I will encourage you to go on youtube and watch some of Hamilton's games, and spoiler alert he's not who you think he is

I honestly don't know what he is - I haven't watched him - which is why I said I heard it from experts.

The kid is going to be a top 5 pick in the NFL Draft though - so he must have done something right..

Either way, that's not really the point I was making - it was there's always someone that's going to value a player differently than you do.  There will be someone willing to trade up to 4.

It's just a matter of value.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I honestly don't know what he is - I haven't watched him - which is why I said I heard it from experts.

The kid is going to be a top 5 pick in the NFL Draft though - so he must have done something right..

Either way, that's not really the point I was making - it was there's always someone that's going to value a player differently than you do.  There will be someone willing to trade up to 4.

It's just a matter of value.

It just takes one team becoming enamored with one player.  I still think it is a bit of a long shot, but I hope JD is really working to try to trade down from #4.  There are lots of good OT that can be gotten later in the 1st and even well into the 2nd round.  No WR or TE really is worthy of a top 5 pick.

If he can't, I hope it is an edge at #4. Just take the top one on your board and cross your fingers.  The thing is, with the 2020 draft turning out so badly, JD really needs to hit on at least 3 of this first 4 picks this year.  If this year's #4 ends up a disappointment....ugh.

I love building the OL, but the only OL I'd take in the top half of the first round is Linderbaum b/c there's a big value drop between him and the next best IOL prospect...and he's supposedly the best C prospect in many a year, but I agree that they should not take him at 4.

It sucks that there's not an elite WR or TE prospect worthy of going early...but there's not, and the Jets shouldn't reach.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

It just takes one team becoming enamored with one player.  I still think it is a bit of a long shot, but I hope JD is really working to try to trade down from #4.  There are lots of good OT that can be gotten later in the 1st and even well into the 2nd round.  No WR or TE really is worthy of a top 5 pick.

If he can't, I hope it is an edge at #4. Just take the top one on your board and cross your fingers.  The thing is, with the 2020 draft turning out so badly, JD really needs to hit on at least 3 of this first 4 picks this year.  If this year's #4 ends up a disappointment....ugh.

I love building the OL, but the only OL I'd take in the top half of the first round is Linderbaum b/c there's a big value drop between him and the next best IOL prospect...and he's supposedly the best C prospect in many a year, but I agree that they should not take him at 4.

It sucks that there's not an elite WR or TE prospect worthy of going early...but there's not, and the Jets shouldn't reach.

I'm almost 100% convinced If Neal is there, they're taking him.

JD doesn't seem to be the type of guy that's unwilling to accept his mistakes (I think Zuniga and Morgan on practice squads/cut in year two says something)  We need a future/franchise LT.  I can't believe JD any longer believes Becton is that guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD doesn't seem to be the type of guy that's unwilling to accept his mistakes (I think Zuniga and Morgan on practice squads/cut in year two says something)  We need a future LT.  I can't believe JD any longer believes Becton is that guy.

That could very well be.  While I'd wait on an OT given the depth there this year, JD may not, given that Fant had some knee injuries late last year and is in the final year of his deal.  Becton is a huge ?....can't count on him for anything.  Moses may want to get PAID more than JD is willing to give.  And, finally, the rest of the tackles (Edoga, McDermott, etc.) are garbage.  There's no depth or youth there.

The Jets do need to draft a young tackle who can contribute in year one and hopefully start in year two, even if Moses is resigned or JD replaces him with a "hold the fort" free agent tackle.

If he does so, I guess OT at 4 and Edge at 10, if no trade down?

2 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

That could very well be.  While I'd wait on an OT given the depth there this year, JD may not, given that Fant had some knee injuries late last year and is in the final year of his deal.  Becton is a huge ?....can't count on him for anything.  Moses may want to get PAID more than JD is willing to give.  And, finally, the rest of the tackles (Edoga, McDermott, etc.) are garbage.  There's no depth or youth there.

The Jets do need to draft a young tackle who can contribute in year one and hopefully start in year two, even if Moses is resigned or JD replaces him with a "hold the fort" free agent tackle.

If he does so, I guess OT at 4 and Edge at 10, if no trade down?

I think OT at 4 only if Neal is there - but I don't think Neal will be.  

So much of what they draft is going to be based on FA's.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD doesn't seem to be the type of guy that's unwilling to accept his mistakes (I think Zuniga and Morgan on practice squads/cut in year two says something)  We need a future/franchise LT.  I can't believe JD any longer believes Becton is that guy.

The good thing about taking Neal at 4 is it wouldn't require giving up on Becton - it would just be a hedge. Given how well Fant played this year they have to be planning to play next season with Fant at LT and Becton at RT, which means there'll be big decisions coming up after 22 - do you extend Fant? If not, who's the LT of the future? 

Draft Neal at 4 (to play RG year 1) and you have plenty of options, all depending on how Becton plays: Let Fant go and shift Becton to LT and Neal to RT; let Fant go, keep Becton at RT, shift Neal to LT; extend Fant, keep Becton at RT for another year, then let him go and shift Neal to RT, etc. It's the move that allows them the most flexibility moving forward while still protecting Wilson adequately, so if the top two pass rushers are off the board and Neal isn't, it's what I'd expect them to do. (Neal-Ojabo or Hutch/Thibs-Ekwonu would be fine with me) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I would change #10 to WR, and then LB and TE in 2nd round and I could be very convinced. That said, I'd need OL in 3 & 4 to try and find a gem.

So many directions they can go. There is not one that jumps off the page for me (yet) and I feel that that is not a lot of separation from the top 5 or so. What Wr are you targeting most?

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The good thing about taking Neal at 4 is it wouldn't require giving up on Becton - it would just be a hedge. Given how well Fant played this year they have to be planning to play next season with Fant at LT and Becton at RT, which means there'll be big decisions coming up after 22 - do you extend Fant? If not, who's the LT of the future? 

Draft Neal at 4 (to play RG year 1) and you have plenty of options, all depending on how Becton plays: Let Fant go and shift Becton to LT and Neal to RT; let Fant go, keep Becton at RT, shift Neal to LT; extend Fant, keep Becton at RT for another year, then let him go and shift Neal to RT, etc. It's the move that allows them the most flexibility moving forward while still protecting Wilson adequately, so if the top two pass rushers are off the board and Neal isn't, it's what I'd expect them to do. (Neal-Ojabo or Hutch/Thibs-Ekwonu would be fine with me) 

jeeze..

Fant - Neal - McGovern - AVT - Becton

If healthy that can be a lot of fun....go and grab a true #1 WR and NFL caliber TE...

ZW takes a step...

This is a playoff caliber offense.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

jeeze..

Fant - Neal - McGovern - AVT - Becton

If healthy that can be a lot of fun....go and grab a true #1 WR and NFL caliber TE...

ZW takes a step...

This is a playoff caliber offense.

Yep (though I doubt they move AVT in that circumstance; keep the Fant-AVT-McGovern continuity, no reason to mess with it). Why I'll keep saying the most important thing the Jets can do in FA is bring in a true No. 1 WR

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yep (though I doubt they move AVT in that circumstance; keep the Fant-AVT-McGovern continuity, no reason to mess with it). Why I'll keep saying the most important thing the Jets can do in FA is bring in a true No. 1 WR

oops..I just did that backwards...accident there..

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Copernicus said:

So many directions they can go. There is not one that jumps off the page for me (yet) and I feel that that is not a lot of separation from the top 5 or so. What Wr are you targeting most?

For me before the injury it was Williams, and Burks, so now it's probably Burks.

GMs feel pressure to take the impact athlete the higher they draft.

When I look at mock drafts, I like the picks 9-20 or so better than the top 8.  

Teams will actually take more chances on QBs and other players at the top of the draft than they should, in the hopes that the payoff is worth it.   Hence Darnold, Allen and Rosen being picked at the top of their drafts.  And Vernon Gholston after the sure things were picked.  

It will be hard for JD to take a surer thing at a less valuable position than taking a chance at a premium position.  That is what the Becton pick was really.  Becton had all sorts of issues, but he had elite athleticism for his size and the arm-length to play LT.   Wirfs had arms that were too short, so in JD’s world that was not worth the 11th pick.  A sure thing RT at 11 in actually was worth it.   In 2017 the 49ers traded down knowing they needed DL and did not want Trubisky.  They reached for Solomon Thomas at 3, rather than taking Adams, McCaffery, Lattimore, Mahomes and Watson (!?), and even Derek Barnett.   That is where I see JD going here-Karlaftis over others.  Odd as it may sound, the Jets could actually almost cobble together a OL with the current roster, if the PS guys could be promoted or even with a draft pick at RG:  Fant, AVT, McGovern, Clark/Samia/LDT, Draft Pick, Becton.  That is not half bad.  If Lawson does not come back, I don’t see how the defense does without better players on the line, and Shepherd, Foley and possibly Rankins are leaving.  

But from what I see in this draft, the more picks we have in the first three rounds, and more in the first round even if lower than 10, the better we are.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jetty said:

Anyone think we draft Kyle Hamilton and play him at LB?

This is pretty much what I think right now is going happen.

As much as people don't want to hear it, unless we trade out Hamilton is going to be the pick.

And yes, they will use him as a LB.  From what I've seen from them - he's the size of LB's they're looking for.

I don't love it, but it's likely to be what happens.

Obviously, as things get closer this will change but based on what I see now..that's just my guess.

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:51 PM, Beerfish said:

Corner is still very important but less so than it once as mainly due to how the nfl calls the rules.

As for Stingley, he would have to have unreal workouts for teams to be comfy picking him that high, almost two years off is very risky.

And despite being take to task for this comment I will repeat it, I think this draft sucks at top end talent.  I hope some team goes qb crazy so we can trade down from 4.

People said the same thing about Jamaar Chase after opting out a year . Stingley is a gamer still not sure I'd pick him at 4 though. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:47 PM, Doggin94it said:

I sincerely doubt that, particularly for Thibs who has been the No. 1 prospect forever. Last year's edge class was weak, with guys like Jaelean Phillips and Aziz Ojulari at the top of it; both Hutchinson and Thibs would have been the consensus top edge last year. Odds are they would have been seen as top 6-10 guys rather than top 5, but that's only because (1) there were so many QBs at the top and (2) you had super-elite guys at TE and WR (Pitts and Chase) rounding out the top 5

Dane Brugler was the one that said that. Take it for what it's worth, but he's a draft analyst.

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Chase was not out for essentially two full years and he was not out due to injuries..

In 2020 he had some non serious nagging injuries and basically shut it down due to Covid. This season he hurt his foot in pre-season played a few games and reinjured it.  He decided to get an operation to give him plenty of time to heal before the draft. I truly believe had LSU had a team capable of making noise in the college playoffs he would have been back playing in Nov. With everything going on with Orgeron and LSU floundering he made a "financial" decision to prepare for the draft. 

Do not sleep on this player he will be a quality NFL CB  for some team, but I doubt it will be the Jets especially with the progress made by Hall, Carter and even Echols. The Jets have bigger needs at #4 .

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

In 2020 he had some non serious nagging injuries and basically shut it down due to Covid. This season he hurt his foot in pre-season played a few games and reinjured it.  He decided to get an operation to give him plenty of time to heal before the draft. I truly believe had LSU had a team capable of making noise in the college playoffs he would have been back playing in Nov. With everything going on with Orgeron and LSU floundering he made a "financial" decision to prepare for the draft. 

Do not sleep on this player he will be a quality NFL CB  for some team, but I doubt it will be the Jets especially with the progress made by Hall, Carter and even Echols. The Jets have bigger needs at #4 .

I m not calling him bad, I think he can be a pro bowl caliber player but he is also a risk and the jets have had some bad experiences with risk, especially injury guys risk.

You do not want another Jeffery Okudah.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is pretty much what I think right now is going happen.

As much as people don't want to hear it, unless we trade out Hamilton is going to be the pick.

And yes, they will use him as a LB.  From what I've seen from them - he's the size of LB's they're looking for.

I don't love it, but it's likely to be what happens.

Obviously, as things get closer this will change but based on what I see now..that's just my guess.

Interesting. Wonder if they view him as a Michah Parsons type. Parsons is 6'3", 245. Hamilton 6'4', but only 220.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Interesting. Wonder if they view him as a Michah Parsons type. Parsons is 6'3", 245. Hamilton 6'4', but only 220.

They tried with that Hamsah Nasirideen (6'3" 215) and it didn't work but he was a 6th round pick.

IMO, the Jets biggest weakness on this entire team in LB.  This Hamilton fits the body type they're looking for and they are a team that looks to find players for their system and not the other way around.

If those two edges and Neal are gone, as I expect they will be, I believe (at least right now) Hamilton will be the guy.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They tried with that Hamsah Nasirideen (6'3" 215) and it didn't work but he was a 6th round pick.

IMO, the Jets biggest weakness on this entire team in LB.  This Hamilton fits the body type they're looking for and they are a team that looks to find players for their system and not the other way around.

If those two edges and Neal are gone, as I expect they will be, I believe (at least right now) Hamilton will be the guy.

What about the LB from Utah?

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

What about the LB from Utah?

I don't know a lot about him, frankly I don't know a lot about Hamilton either...

But I get the sense they'll both be gone before 10 (but it's so early) So if you're going to take one you take the better prospect.

What I've read about Hamilton is super interesting though...If he's as good as Sporting News has to say - he'll be tough to pass up..

3. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame (6-4, 220 pounds)

Hamilton is smart and physical. He has the instincts and athleticism to diagnose plays and react quickly to make plays all over the field vs. run and pass. He's one of the most complete, intimidating safety prospects ever.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-prospects-2022-player-rankings-big-board/15xmexshw7ywc1u9ijg32sjwhr

• Upvote 1