The Jets, Mock Drafts, and Darryl Stingley Jr.

Good player but I'd be a bit disappointed if we took a CB at #4 - at #10, maybe

I honestly think Salah thinks we can get good CBs in the middle rounds - Hall, Eichols, Carter is not a bad start.  Sign a mid-level free agent and use a 4th rounder on a CB, combined with Lawson & Huff coming back and an edge rusher in the top 10 and we might be pretty sporty 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, viffer said:

Edge, OT, or WR/TE at #4. We need someone who can catch the ball to determine if Zach can actually throw it.

There's no TE who's worth even a sniff of 4 this year; in fact, I doubt there's a TE taken in round 1 at all. WR... I'm no analyst but the reports on this year's group don't make me think any of them are top-5 talents. Seems like a position group that lacks an elite tier, has a reasonable number of "mid-to-late rd 1" guys (some of whom will be overdrafted because of the lack of an elite guy) and then falls off a cliff after Dotson

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

It’s our favorite time of year again.  The one season we actually seem to win a bit before the games start.  So as usual with two top picks I have been checking out the early mock drafts.   For some reason that I can’t quite figure out almost every single draft shows the Jets taking Darryl Stingley Jr at number 4.   And almost all the comments openly state what a great talent he is before pointing out much of the projection was based on 2019 tape and that he barely played in the two years after that.   My question is how does this make any sense?  Is it just trolling the Jets to get a rise out of us fans or do they really believe the Jets are so incompetent that they would take any player with this injury history so high?  I don’t care how bad they think we need a #1 corner (though from all I’ve seen Salah’s system is much more predicated on generating a pass rush to defend the pass) taking a guy with his history of injuries at 4 or even 10 would almost be professional malpractice.

Is that Dereks brother? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So if Hutchison and Thibodeaux and Neal go 1-3, who exactly is trading up?????????  This is what I don't like about the trade down cult.  They always think there is a market for the pick.  With no stand out QBs, trading down is going to be difficult.  

Yup. 

• Upvote 1

So if Hutchison and Thibodeaux and Neal go 1-3, who exactly is trading up?????????  This is what I don't like about the trade down cult.  They always think there is a market for the pick.  With no stand out QBs, trading down is going to be difficult.  

If that happens the pick is Stingley. He is the only top prospect left. Unless you want a DE who got 4.5 sacks and wonder why you picked Gholston again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The people posting these mocks have zero clue about JD and how he works. 
I’d say there is less than a 1% chance he would take a DB at 4.
He’s publicly stated the line of scrimmage and weapons are a priority. He got great value from DBs in 5th round or later. Saleh’s system NEVER needed great DBs, it needs great pass rushers.
These mocks are ignorant and totally informed.

Tell me more about how you think JD works. He never picks shut down corners? Gimme a break dude. Stingley is probably the best prospect in this draft. Ravens love top CBs. JD is from there.

Corner is still very important but less so than it once as mainly due to how the nfl calls the rules.

As for Stingley, he would have to have unreal workouts for teams to be comfy picking him that high, almost two years off is very risky.

And despite being take to task for this comment I will repeat it, I think this draft sucks at top end talent.  I hope some team goes qb crazy so we can trade down from 4.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Tell me more about how you think JD works. He never picks shut down corners? Gimme a break dude. Stingley is probably the best prospect in this draft. Ravens love top CBs. JD is from there.

The Ravens have picked 2 CBs in the first round in the past 20 years.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Just because we don’t need a highly touted CB or Safety to run our defense doesn’t mean other teams don’t value this positions.

I say, keep mocking Darryl Stingley  or Kevin Hamilton to us at #4, so they maintain this perception of top-5 value. 

I would love to trade down with the Saints.  If they trade Lattimore (to get $25M in cap relief) they could  replace him with Stingley; or if they want to trade Jenkins (to get 8.25M) they could replace him with Hamilton. 

And if they want to use Michael Thomas as a trade chip to move up from #18 to #4, they could  get another $15M in relief. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Weren't experts drooling over Hamilton not too long ago? If he's a generational talent (as some draft sites have stated), why would someone not want to trade up for him?

On a serious note though, the QBs always rise, and a couple of guys will flash at the combine. Not saying that we'd be able to trade out of the 4th for a pair 1st round picks and a 2nd, but there are always opportunities out there for someone to jump the Giants (with new HC / GM coming in, I wouldn't be surprised if they move on from Daniels)... Carolina could prolly go in a different direction at QB, Denver has Bridgewater, but not sure he's the long term solution, New Orleans has Hill and Winston, not sure they are happy with that pairing, and not sure what Pittsburgh is doing next year (though the last two teams are further down the draft board, a trade may not make sense).

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Edge, OT or trade down at #4 please. 

Exactly.  I am assuming that Karlaftis will be available at #4, and the Jets should jump all over him.

From my perspective, there are a lot more good cornerbacks in the league than premium edge rushers, and the Jets are below average in that department.

At #10, if the Jets have not gotten a premium free agent wide receiver, then that must be the pick.  If we got our wide receiver, then offensive line at #10.

As for cornerback, aren't the Jets and fans all very high on Brandon Echols, Michael Carter II, and Bryce at cornerback?  If the Jets want and should add another cornerback, what until round 2 or 3 to do it.  

If the Jets select Stingley Jr. in round 1, I will be profoundly disappointed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

If that happens the pick is Stingley. He is the only top prospect left. Unless you want a DE who got 4.5 sacks and wonder why you picked Gholston again.

There is nothing wrong with taking somebody else. If the Jets take a player projected to go 6-12 at 4 and he pans out, who cares?  I can't see the Jets taking Stingley at all. It does not make sense on any level - from scheme to position to risk. If people here though Becton was a gamble, Stingley makes Becton look safe and conservative. The guy hasn't played well or at all since 2019. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, Alka said:

Exactly.  I am assuming that Karlaftis will be available at #4, and the Jets should jump all over him.

From my perspective, there are a lot more good cornerbacks in the league than premium edge rushers, and the Jets are below average in that department.

At #10, if the Jets have not gotten a premium free agent wide receiver, then that must be the pick.  If we got our wide receiver, then offensive line at #10.

As for cornerback, aren't the Jets and fans all very high on Brandon Echols, Michael Carter II, and Bryce at cornerback?  If the Jets want and should add another cornerback, what until round 2 or 3 to do it.  

I feel similarly about Karlaftis from what I have been reading.  He seems to be a huge step down from  the top 2 in terms of talent, athleticism, and production.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Alka said:

The NFL has implemented rules that make a head hunting Safety (Idzik never got the memo drafting Pryor who never got close enough to the ball to even do that) and a “shut down” Corner OBSOLETE.

When picking that high you have to go with either a potential Play Maker on Offense, or a potential sack artist on D.  Someone who has the potential to change a game on Every single play.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1