Joe we need a real tight end

kmnj

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe your griffin experiment was awful. The Herdon experience was not fun at all. Tyler sucks as well-

Use a high draft pick and get us a real tight end

The tight end is a key position these days and most of the playoff teams have good ones-yes they have other good players  too (clearly QB is most important) but tight end is an important position -Jets have not had a really good one since Mickey Shuler

Bills-Knox-dude is a stud

Chiefs-Kelce a monster talent

9ners-Kittle a bit brittle but a stud

Tampa-Gronk you very much

Cards-Ertz very solid

Rams-Higbee-  great hands but a notch below the top tier

Eagles-Goedert solid as well

Titans-for the most part trash but firskster is miles ahead of ours

Cowboys-Shultz very solid

Bengals CJ -great hands and a td waiting to happen

Raiders-Waller-another great player when healthy

Pats-Henry and J smith-Henry is legit-Smith not so much

You forgot Mark Andrews and his 107 receptions. 

Interesting fact, in 2018 the Ravens drafted 2 TE's - Hayden Hurst in the first round with the 21st pick and Mark Andrews in the 3d round with the 86th pick. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I certainly agree that we cant have both. We either sign a low end TE and draft someone in the 2nd round or sign Schultz, while drafting someone in the 4th. It would be an overkill to sign Schultz and draft McBride considering we have needs every where.

I agree we have needs everywhere but I think we have to double down on TE this year.  We haven't had squat at the position for years.  We have plenty of cap space and 2 2nd rounders.  We need to sign 1 and draft 1 (ideally draft the top TE).  It would help ZW out quite a bit.  And we could sign or draft a WR.  That would give him a legit complement of weapons.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree we have needs everywhere but I think we have to double down on TE this year.  We haven't had squat at the position for years.  We have plenty of cap space and 2 2nd rounders.  We need to sign 1 and draft 1 (ideally draft the top TE).  It would help ZW out quite a bit.  And we could sign or draft a WR.  That would give him a legit complement of weapons.  

You would sign a lower level tight end to pair with McBride.  Not a player like Shultz.

McBride is taking every snap as the number 1 tight end the minute he is drafted.  You would sign a second tier tight end to back him up.  Maybe a guy like Anthony Firsker or Durham Smythe.

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He should be at the top of Douglas’ wishlist if Dallas allows him to hit FA.

Outside of maybe 2-3 years of Dustin Keller this team has had a black hole at TE since the Shuler days.

Pairing up Schultz with McBride would be ideal but I doubt the Jets would invest a Top 40 pick in another TE after signing Schultz in FA.

Schultz + Ruckert is more realistic IMO and would go a long way towards improving the position.

You didn’t like Fred Baxter?  Johnny Mitchell?  Kyle Brady?

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You would sign a lower level tight end to pair with McBride.  Not a player like Shultz.

McBride is taking every snap as the number 1 tight end the minute he is drafted.  You would sign a second tier tight end to back him up.  Maybe a guy like Anthony Firsker or Durham Smythe.

Or sign Schultz and use the McBride pick somewhere else.  This team has lists of needs so if we can save a higher slot for another position like LB or WR, the better

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

TE is a position that often takes longer to develop than most. Signing a starting caliber guy in free agency is pretty much a must. In all honesty, I don’t expect Joe Douglas to give Schultz eight figures, but I could easily see him get someone like Njoku. I wouldn’t be thinking in terms of backup TE so much, either, I’d be thinking about two TE sets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

TE is a position that often takes longer to develop than most. Signing a starting caliber guy in free agency is pretty much a must. In all honesty, I don’t expect Joe Douglas to give Schultz eight figures, but I could easily see him get someone like Njoku. I wouldn’t be thinking in terms of backup TE so much, either, I’d be thinking about two TE sets. 

Pitts and Friermuth both had really nice seasons as rookie tight ends.  Trey McBride is a monster.  He will have no trouble playing tight end in the league right away.

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Do people really think that Schultz will make it to FA?

They shouldn't.  O.J. Howard, David Njoku, Maxx Williams.  They might very well be three that we'd have a shot at.  But Schultz, Gronkowski, Ertz, Uzomah....I don't think they are realistic.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Do people really think that Schultz will make it to FA?

Given the Cowboys cap situation, it could happen.  More than $20M over the cap and that is with guys like Schultz, Williams, Wilson, Van Der Esch, Gregory and Gallup hitting FA.  Restrucuting Dak and Zeke can free up space, but they are going to have to let some guys go.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Given the Cowboys cap situation, it could happen.  More than $20M over the cap and that is with guys like Schultz, Williams, Wilson, Van Der Esch, Gregory and Gallup hitting FA.  Restrucuting Dak and Zeke can free up space, but they are going to have to let some guys go.

It would be good but we would also need to dramatically overpay as well. Seems like a moon shot to me, but would be really happy if it happens. So many seem to think signing him will be straightforward here

40 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It would be good but we would also need to dramatically overpay as well. Seems like a moon shot to me, but would be really happy if it happens. So many seem to think signing him will be straightforward here

We're not using our full cap every year.  If we are going to 'overpay' someone, this feels like a time to do it.  Top TE money right now is in the $14M/year range, which is a far lower bet than overpaying to bring in a top WR (Adams would probably cost $27M/year or more).

• Upvote 1