Joe we need a real tight end

kmnj

Joe your griffin experiment was awful. The Herdon experience was not fun at all. Tyler sucks as well-

Use a high draft pick and get us a real tight end

The tight end is a key position these days and most of the playoff teams have good ones-yes they have other good players  too (clearly QB is most important) but tight end is an important position -Jets have not had a really good one since Mickey Shuler

Bills-Knox-dude is a stud

Chiefs-Kelce a monster talent

9ners-Kittle a bit brittle but a stud

Tampa-Gronk you very much

Cards-Ertz very solid

Rams-Higbee-  great hands but a notch below the top tier

Eagles-Goedert solid as well

Titans-for the most part trash but firskster is miles ahead of ours

Cowboys-Shultz very solid

Bengals CJ -great hands and a td waiting to happen

Raiders-Waller-another great player when healthy

Pats-Henry and J smith-Henry is legit-Smith not so much

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He's not a TE.  He's a big WR that does not block.  Very rarely lines up in line.  Not a LeFleur TE. 

Most of the best TEs these days are glorified slot guys like Waller/Kelce/Pitts/Ertz and the Gesecki dude you guys are talking about. 

We need a guy like Gesecki even if he isn't a blocker. But he's certainly not a Kittle type that is more suited for this offense. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We need to draft two TE's not one.  Even if we sign a guy in FA.

That might be a little much, but I’d sign a solid starter in free agency and try to find one with more upside in the draft. Would not be unhappy if they took one in the second. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Most of the best TEs these days are glorified slot guys like Waller/Kelce/Pitts/Ertz and the Gesecki dude you guys are talking about. 

We need a guy like Gesecki even if he isn't a blocker. But he's certainly not a Kittle type that is more suited for this offense. 

Exactly....sign him anyway...he's got great hands, gets open and he's a Jersey boy.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ok again, he's not a LaFleur TE and the only team with more cap space in the NFL than the Jets is Miami.  They love him and will not let him get away.  Besides we'd have to over-over pay him to leave as FL has not state income tax.

I don't view Waller, Kelce and Ertz as solely slot guys.  Gesecki is only slot.  More than any other TE but a wide margin.  

He's not going to be a Jet.  We'd have a better shot at Schulz given Dallas is in cap hell AND he fits better with what LaFleur does.  Not getting Schultz either but if we're making a push, and overpaying for a guy in a non-state income tax state, he's the guy.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

That might be a little much, but I’d sign a solid starter in free agency and try to find one with more upside in the draft. Would not be unhappy if they took one in the second. 

I think this is the route they go.  Two rookie TEs doesn't make a lot of sense given all the other positions we need to fill.

A solid starter in FA and a TE in Rd 2.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, derp said:

Griffin and Herndon are/were Maccagnan holdovers. Wesco too.

This looks like a good class to add guys. Hopefully a free agent as well.

Joe extended griffin who is awful

you want a young QB to have a shot-get him a stud wr and a stud tight end

I hope Joe drafts a stud te early and does not try to bring in another one year temporary guy like he seems to like to do-draft a top guy or pay a top free agent te if there is one-

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LOVE Schultz. Not the athlete Gesecki is, but HUGE upgrade in passing game over what we have AND a good blocker. A poor man's Kittle. 

He should be at the top of Douglas’ wishlist if Dallas allows him to hit FA.

Outside of maybe 2-3 years of Dustin Keller this team has had a black hole at TE since the Shuler days.

Pairing up Schultz with McBride would be ideal but I doubt the Jets would invest a Top 40 pick in another TE after signing Schultz in FA.

Schultz + Ruckert is more realistic IMO and would go a long way towards improving the position.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We need to draft two TE's not one.  Even if we sign a guy in FA.

Sign one, Draft one.  Similar the approach the Jets tried at WR last year by signing Corey Davis and drafting Elijah Moore.

I'd love to see Dalton Shultz signed and either Wydermyer or McBride drafted.

Behind those two guys the Jets would have Griffin (final year of deal I believe), Yeboah and it looks like they're converting Lawrence Cager to TE (he'd be Practice Squad).

Any problem with a Shultz, McBride, Griffin, Yeboah depth chart at TE?  I'd be fine with that.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, slats said:

The Douglas mantra at times seems to be, draft one guy and yay!  Problem solved!  and then you have guys like mims and the problem is not solved.

Our TEs are by far the worst in the league and have been for years and years.  A solid starter is ....kroft because the top guys do not shake free.

If you want to fix a position you need to hit it hard imo. (like we did with CB last year with carter, echols, pinnock and Dunn as a high end udfa) Also like Wr two years ago and oline last year TE is pretty strong in this draft.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He should be at the top of Douglas’ wishlist if Dallas allows him to hit FA.

Outside of maybe 2-3 years of Dustin Keller this team has had a black hole at TE since the Shuler days.

Pairing up Schultz with McBride would be ideal but I doubt the Jets would invest a Top 40 pick in another TE after signing Schultz in FA.

Schultz + Ruckert is more realistic IMO and would go a long way towards improving the position.

I certainly agree that we cant have both. We either sign a low end TE and draft someone in the 2nd round or sign Schultz, while drafting someone in the 4th. It would be an overkill to sign Schultz and draft McBride considering we have needs every where.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Douglas mantra at times seems to be, draft one guy and yay!  Problem solved!  and then you have guys like mims and the problem is not solved.

Our TEs are by far the worst in the league and have been for years and years.  A solid starter is ....kroft because the top guys do not shake free.

If you want to fix a position you need to hit it hard imo. (like we did with CB last year with carter, echols, pinnock and Dunn as a high end udfa) Also like Wr two years ago and oline last year TE is pretty strong in this draft.

He inherited a team with holes at virtually every position. He couldn't just double up at WR/OL/CB/EDGE/QB in year 1. there weren't enough picks. 
What JD has done, is realize we need help at WR and attack it with early picks in year 1 and 2. The same thing at OL. He saw the need, and addressed pretty aggressively. 

I am pretty confident he sees the need at TE and will address it in the draft and may also attack it in free agency since Wilson needs a guy ready day 1. 

He is the first GM we have had in a long time that has basically drafted the positions this fanbase wants him to draft. Hitting on them (mims...) is a separate issue. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Joe extended griffin who is awful

you want a young QB to have a shot-get him a stud wr and a stud tight end

I hope Joe drafts a stud te early and does not try to bring in another one year temporary guy like he seems to like to do-draft a top guy or pay a top free agent te if there is one-

Sure, for low money. He almost completely turned over the roster in two full offseasons. Tight end group next up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Joe your griffin experiment was awful. The Herdon experience was not fun at all. Tyler sucks as well-

Use a high draft pick and get us a real tight end

The tight end is a key position these days and most of the playoff teams have good ones-yes they have other good players  too (clearly QB is most important) but tight end is an important position -Jets have not had a really good one since Mickey Shuler

Bills-Knox-dude is a stud 2019, 96th Overall

Chiefs-Kelce a monster talent 2013, 63rd Overall

9ners-Kittle a bit brittle but a stud 2017, 143 Overall

Tampa-Gronk you very much 2010, 42 Overall

Cards-Ertz very solid 2013, 35 Overall

Rams-Higbee-  great hands but a notch below the top tier 2016, 110 Overall

Eagles-Goedert solid as well 2018, 49 Overall

Titans-for the most part trash but firskster is miles ahead of ours 2017, UDFA

Cowboys-Shultz very solid 2018, 137 Overall

Bengals CJ -great hands and a td waiting to happen 2015, 157 Overall

Raiders-Waller-another great player when healthy 2015, 204 Overall

Pats-Henry and J smith-Henry is legit-Smith not so much 2016, 35 Overall (Henry), 2017, 100 Overall

Even leaving out Firkser, the average selection in this group was 97th overall - a comp third rounder - and your takeaway is that we have to use a "high draft pick" (i.e. 4, 10, 35 or 38) on TE?

We need a TE, and it may be that one is the pick at 35 or 38. But that's not because of how the guys above panned out (or how the many others you left out of your sample busted). It'll be because they're good value at the slot.

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He inherited a team with holes at virtually every position. He couldn't just double up at WR/OL/CB/EDGE/QB in year 1. there weren't enough picks. 
What JD has done, is realize we need help at WR and attack it with early picks in year 1 and 2. The same thing at OL. He saw the need, and addressed pretty aggressively. 

I am pretty confident he sees the need at TE and will address it in the draft and may also attack it in free agency since Wilson needs a guy ready day 1. 

He is the first GM we have had in a long time that has basically drafted the positions this fanbase wants him to draft. Hitting on them (mims...) is a separate issue. 

WR was very strong, he could and should have doubled up on WR.  Instead he totally wasted a 4th round with stupid picks.

Draft to the strength of a draft especially if a draft is strong in the area you are weak.

His 2020 draft stunk because he picked bad players and his strategy to hedge vs failed picks was non existent.

Last years draft was much better.  We still had holes all over the place but at least he tripled dipped at CB

• Upvote 2

This Dalton Schultz talk is a pipe dream, total pipe dream.  He is a key guy for Dallas and they will find a way to keep him.

Every year people get excited about teams with 'no cap space' and good player going to FA and most often if a team wants the guy they will make moves to find a way to retain him.

The team to poach this year is New Orleans.

• Upvote 1