Is there anything you would have done different in Round 1?

Facts

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

No. 
JJ avoided all agility testing for no reason other than “he didnt want to”

JJ also avoided pass rushing drills at the combine

JJ’s vertical jump is in the 36 percentile.

JJ also weighed in below the average weight of edge defenders.

So, he's the anti-Gholston. Thank God. 

"Thibodeaux will be a star pass rusher in this league for a decade"

mmmm....I think if JD agreed with your assessment, then Thibs would be a NY Jet. JD obviously felt drafting Sauce to erase the opposing #1 WR 17 games benefits our team more than a situational pass rusher and his 4 sack seasons.

Look, pass rush and secondary go hand in hand. In 2021 we had the worse secondary in the league. WRs broke free after just a few seconds, giving the QB a wide open target to throw to long b4 our pass rush could get there. Jets got a league low 33 sacks. In part b/c they couldn't get home, and in part b/c they couldn't get home in under 2 seconds. Grabbing Reed in FA and drafting Sauce will give our pass rush a full 3+ seconds to get home b4 the QB can find anyone open to throw to.

Even w/o drafting Thibs, we still have Solomon Thomas (a former 1st rounder who played 4 years under Saleh), Jerimiah Johnson who had like 15 TFL and 10 sacks last season (best pass rush stats of any player in this draft), and of course Carl Lawson our 2021 stud pass rusher coming back from injury. Lawson on one side with JJ on the other greatly improves our PR from last year.

Combine that with our GREATLY improved secondary and I think JD did OK. 

It's our run D and TE/WheelRout D that scars me more than lack of pass rush.

overall very pleased with how it all went but if I had to nitpick it would be the JJ pick. Calvin Pace 2.0 isn't the worst thing in the world I guess
THIS IS THE BEST COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS.

His ceiling is Calvin Pace. He will be a solid cleanup man. He does not have insane getoff.

He will be very good for us.

34 minutes ago, Facts said:

Round 1, Pick 4: Kayvon ThibodeauxReason: Sauce will be good and i’m happy to see him in green, but the league has evolved and the way to stop the pass now is to pressure the QB. Not lock up a single WR (which is nearly impossible now due to rules favoring offense).

Thibodeaux will be a star pass rusher in this league for a decade. Unfortunately he went to the Giants ?

23 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I kind of feel the same way about Sauce.  Refs just love to throw PI flags these days for even the slightest contact. If he can avoid those, he'll be fine, though.

Oh, stop it. You people kill me talking about football when you have no idea about scheme. You all do realize there are more than one kind of CB? Sauce isn't a man-on-man corner he's a zone cover 3 type...like Richard Sherman. He can shut down 1/3 of the field allowing linebackers and a safety to cover the middle 1/3, and allowing another safety to rotate to the CB2 side of the field to double the remaining 1/3, hence the term cover 3.

Everyone knows who the Legion of Boom's CB1 was but most of us don't remember who their CB2 was. The Eagles threw a boatload of money at him to come play CB1 in their man cover scheme and he got absolutely toasted. Seeing how terrible this guy was made me understand how great the rest of the players in the Legion of Boom really were, that they could carry dude and bamboozle a team like PHI into thinking this guy was a lockdown CB1.

Revis was a man-on-man corner so stop comparing Sause to him. Revis flourished in Rex's system because it played to his strengths but disappeared in TB, not because of his injury but because he played in Lovie Smith's wack ass cover 2 scheme. People thought he was washed up but that wasn't the case. That's why Belichick  got him for a discount. Revis bounced back to Revis Island because he was back in  the right system.

Sauce is perfect for Saleh's scheme so he will do great things so stop saying he shouldn't have been picked at no. 4.  Thibodeaux, however, doesn't fit Saleh's scheme so please quit saying we should have picked him instead.  Here is a guy who doesn't play the run, only plays the pass. Hell, I don't even think he fits the Giants scheme. He needs to be on a high octane offense like KC, one of the LA teams, or Buffalo.   JJ is also perfect for Saleh's scheme because he plays the run and pass, that's why they chose him over Thibodeaux. 

I'm not on the Douglas bandwagon just yet, but this year's draft picks were outstanding. This was the first time I've seen a Jets' GM draft plug in players for the system who can start day one and not just picking guys because of the hype. So please, stop chasing the hype.

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

His ceiling is Calvin Pace. He will be a solid cleanup man. He does not have insane getoff.

Hope so! Hard to hate the pick since he fell so far and they didn't give up a ton to go get him. And I'm very excited about how the draft as a whole turned out.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Gholston was bad at the same agility drills that Jermaine Johnson skipped because rumor has it… he’d be bad at them. 

I agree and preferred Karlaftis myself, but the saving thought is the staff already coached him at the Senior Bowl.  

Obviously he showed them enough. 

2 hours ago, Facts said:

In another thread, Untouchable challenged people to come up with a better 1sr round draft class for the Jets, with the benefit of hindsight and knowing who went where.

I’ll accept the challenge (and I look forward to seeing your ideas too). If I was Douglas my choices would have been:

Round 1, Pick 4: Kayvon Thibodeaux

Reason: Sauce will be good and i’m happy to see him in green, but the league has evolved and the way to stop the pass now is to pressure the QB. Not lock up a single WR (which is nearly impossible now due to rules favoring offense). Thibodeaux will be a star pass rusher in this league for a decade. Unfortunately he went to the Giants ?

Round 1, Pick 10: Garret Wilson

Reason: I think JD got this one right for sure. Welcome to NY.

Round 1, Pick 26: George Karlaftis

Reason: Jermaine didn’t drop on accident. Teams know something and some passed on him several times. There is a chance he falls completely out of the first round if JD doesn’t take him at 26. I don’t like catching a falling knife. In my opinion the Chiefs stole Karlaftis. He is just as big as Jermaine and has a non-stop motor. This is one of those guys you see still fighting several seconds after the whistle and fans begin to love him. KC got a good one.

The combo of Thib’s and Karlaftis would have been something offenses across the league (and especially in our division) would have had to gameplan for, for a long long time.

Perfectly fine as well. I would have been happy with this or the picks we have. I wanted Thibs at 4 but Is be shocked if he plays hard for a decade. Get a feeling his finish line is the second contract. I feel he will be a monster fur 4-5 years, would have been fine with that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

overall very pleased with how it all went but if I had to nitpick it would be the JJ pick. Calvin Pace 2.0 isn't the worst thing in the world I guess

48 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

No. This is not the best comparative analysis. It's actually a terrible one. If you believe that then you probably believe Caitlyn Jenner is the most beautiful woman you've ever seen. Calvin Pace had good get off and he was not a clean up man. Pace didn't live up to his potential because he only had one move, which was to run around the LT, taking himself out the play leaving Jim Leonhart or David Harris with the responsibility of cleaning up behind him. When he did make it to the QB he had a dumbass habit of hitting him in the head. 

i would have taken Thibs but then i would not have traded for 26. i would have just waiting till rd 2 and taken Hall anyway.

i think the only reason he traded up was because he needed to get a top Edge. if he already picked one then he doesnt make that trade. and if he did i dont see him picking another Edge.

37 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

No. This is not the best comparative analysis. It's actually a terrible one. If you believe that then you probably believe Caitlyn Jenner is the most beautiful woman you've ever seen. Calvin Pace had good get off and he was not a clean up man. Pace didn't live up to his potential because he only had one move, which was to run around the LT, taking himself out the play leaving Jim Leonhart or David Harris with the responsibility of cleaning up behind him. When he did make it to the QB he had a dumbass habit of hitting him in the head. 

sorry, strange man from online, that me and my friend Dunnie were irresponsible in our use of Calvin Pace comparisons. In the future I will be more careful 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

No team took a DE between #4 and #26, so it's hard to make the case for Johnson falling as opposed to not being positionally what teams were looking for. The question would have to be, which team that needed an edge rusher from #4 to #26 chose to go in another direction because they didn't want Johnson. I don't have the answer to that. I do know that th Jets had Johnson ranked within their top eight and thought he would be gone. When he wasn't, they swooped in and got him. That's really the most important thing. They got THEIR guy.

2 hours ago, Facts said:

Karlaftis was supposed to go (based on odds betting) between 19-25. I guess I don’t see it as falling when he pretty much went where he was supposed to.

Jermaine was supposed to be top 10. That in my opinion is a fall.

94DBE2DF-51E3-4276-BEE0-6DAC458EC9F6.jpeg

Media and fans were higher on Karlaftis then the scouts and GMs this became evident a few weeks ago....to me he was always a end of the first guy....the edge class as a whole was overrated imo.

6 minutes ago, undertow said:

Media and fans were higher on Karlaftis then the scouts and GMs this became evident a few weeks ago....to me he was always a end of the first guy....the edge class as a whole was overrated imo.

Agreed.

Some fans saw some random mock drafts where he was high and just assumed thats what his value was. Strange.

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I do know that th Jets had Johnson ranked within their top eight and thought he would be gone. When he wasn't, they swooped in and got him. That's really the most important thing. They got THEIR guy.

Does that not raise some red flags for you?

It does for me.

If JD thinks a guy is a top 8 prospect, and the rest of the league doesnt...

Thats worrisome.

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Karlaftis was supposed to be a top 10 pick a month ago then continued to drop rapidly. Hence why he was being mocked in the later picks 

I like both JJ and Karlaftis and would have liked both. I just think it’s funny how you said you don’t want to catch a guy who was falling then took karlaftis. 

The reason these boards change in the last few weeks before the draft is because decision makers that matter start making their decisions anything before is just media opinions which turns into group think...George Karlaftis was never a top 10 pick and if he was in last years draft might have been a 3rd rounder. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

Absurd.

Pace was an excellent player who was criminally underrated by our fans. The best pass rusher on what was the league’s best defence.

• Sympathy 1

The only thing I think is fair to say could have been better was trading 10 for Deebo or AJ Brown instead of taking G. Wilson. Everything else was flawless
Totally agree if you could get Deebo or Brown on Wilson's salary ... otherwise...

G. T. F. O. O. H.

6 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I don't know who's going to be better, but Jameson looks just as thin and slight as Wilson. 

Not to mention Wilson kept Jameson on the bench.  Hard to argue with taking the starter. 

Everyone keeps saying Jameson is the burner, but Wilson ran 4.3. 

Kid is fast too. 

Agree Williams looks like an Egret not much to him at all

3 hours ago, NamathToSauer said:

I swear some of you guys could be in bed with Margot Robbie and complain that her boobs aren't big enough

Agree Margot Robbie boobs aren’t big enough. Now Sophia Vergara mmmmmm Sofia Vergara GIF by America's Got Talent

Wilson over Williams. My only gripe.

Wilson is under 6ft. Williams is 6 foot 2. Just as fast. Runs great routes. If he wasn’t hurt he would have been 10. Detroit came up 20 picks to grab him.

It’s not about 2022. 2023 is when this team hits home.

Rest of the draft was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk