Becton is clearly in the Jets plans as a starting tackle for 2022

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My view on the tackle situation is that Becton is a dog who’s making Saleh look like a weak fish, and now Becton hasn’t showed up to practice and the only clip we’re seeing after a universally lauded draft is Saleh—as he’s been doing for roughly 16 months now—having to answer questions about Mekhi Becton not being in attendance for the Jets. Saleh straight-up mocked Becton yesterday by begging him to show up. 

Saleh needs him, what else is he going to do?  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh needs him, what else is he going to do?  

I don’t think Saleh needs Becton as much as Saleh needs a right tackle who will show up every day and not be a disaster. It’s Douglas who needs Becton to work out

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

From last night's NY Post - Becton is still rehabing and Saleh wants him at OTAs.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/30/mehki-becton-faces-uncertain-future-with-jets-after-pivotal-draft/

“We’d love you back here, buddy,” Saleh said, looking into the camera. “We’ll take care of you.”

Becton is awaiting the birth of his first child in Dallas, according to sources. He is expected to come to New Jersey after the child is born.

“You want all your guys to be here,” Saleh said. “It’s voluntary. But I know he’s working his tail off in Dallas. We have tabs on him. We know exactly what he’s doing and we know where he is within his rehab.”

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Saleh needs Becton as much as Saleh needs a right tackle who will show up every day and not be a disaster. It’s Douglas who needs Becton to work out

After this draft and last year’s (assuming wilson doesn’t totally suck), i think douglas is on pretty safe ground.  If the worst case scenario is that they finagle the tackle spot this year and either overpay in FA or draft one next year, then as time passes i think the book on douglas will be that he grew into the position and improved over time.  And for all we know mims could actually contribute too, i have more faith in him than becton.

37 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, he’s a 4th round pick. So he’s gonna be in the active roster.

Yea. What I meant to say was he'll  probably be an inactive player on Sundays. I think Douglas will have a veteran player in here, after final training camp cuts.  That's my guess, anyway.

20 hours ago, genot said:

Can the Jetz trust him to be healthy and play at a high level. Doubt it.

This is what it all boils down to.  Does Becton have the ability? yes  

All questions about Becton will be answered this year, thankfully!!

If he stays healthy, then the Jets look great.  If Becton gets injured again, and misses more than 50% of the season, then the Jets miscalculated in not picking up a high end tackle in the draft.

If Becton falters, then the Jets will be A. Looking for a big upgrade in free agency after the season or B. Tackle will be a big early target in next years draft.  

Either way, the Jets should be "all in" with resigning Fant for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, genot said:

Yea. What I meant to say was he'll  probably be an inactive player on Sundays. I think Douglas will have a veteran player in here, after final training camp cuts.  That's my guess, anyway.

Interesting. We'll see -- I think it's more likely he replaces Chuma Edoga as a swing tackle but if he really lacks the play strength I suppose it's a possibility.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

This speaks poorly for the plans rather than well for Becton.

Yea. I don't understand for the life of me why he didn't  tell Moses it was his job to lose, and offer more than the 5 mil he got from the Redskins????I believe he would have resigned under those circumstances. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, genot said:

Yea. I don't understand for the life of me why he didn't  tell Moses it was his job to lose, and offer more than the 5 mil he got from the Redskins????I believe he would have resigned under those circumstances. 

Actually he signed with Baltimore for 3 years 15 million.

Becton is an immature man baby, who’s soft. Even when healthy in his first season he’d pull himself from games for periods. He’s hiding in Dallas with the baby B.S.

I do think we Draft another Tackle in 2023. The 2020 draft is looking shocking at this point. Fortunately Douglas seems to have gotten his sh*t together in that department.

On a side note, with the addition of Tomlinson, and culture a change with big locker room guys like C.J, do the players themselves start pulling Becton into line?

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, batman10023 said:

this guy is insecure

Agreed, such an immature reaction regardless of how much instigating Cimini did to provoke.

When your character has been in question for the last year, this is not the way to rebuild that image.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agreed, such an immature reaction regardless of how much instigating Cimini did to provoke.

When your character has been in question for the last year, this is not the way to rebuild that image.

And he probably flipped out buying into lots of rumors the jets were going to take ickey and then trade him.  He just needs to calm down and align himself with the coaching staff again.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And he probably flipped out buying into lots of rumors the jets were going to take ickey and then trade him.  He just needs to calm down and align himself with the coaching staff again.

Right and part of being a professional athlete and getting paid so well is that your job is always liable to replacement with an upgrade even for those who play well and train the right way.

He's so young and hasn't proven anything yet.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think the point was that he obviously should not have been.

Becton should have been a non-factor in the plans for this season. Everything Tom, Matt and others highlighted about him was correct. Everyone seen this coming, even those who say they didn't. 

In terms of this thread, drafting an OT at #4 this year still would not have been the answer. People here want to throw too many high picks at the OL. I’m with everyone who wanted Moses back, but that didn’t happen. I don’t think Duane Brown is the answer, either, as I’d prefer they bring in a RT. RTs generally aren’t hard to find. 

Jets have potential trading chips on the DL, WR, and CB positions. They should be calling around, seeing what they can get. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

In terms of this thread, drafting an OT at #4 this year still would not have been the answer. People here want to throw too many high picks at the OL. I’m with everyone who wanted Moses back, but that didn’t happen. I don’t think Duane Brown is the answer, either, as I’d prefer they bring in a RT. RTs generally aren’t hard to find. 

Jets have potential trading chips on the DL, WR, and CB positions. They should be calling around, seeing what they can get. 

Also, if most of these other draft picks pan out, like wilson, breece, sauce, garrett, etc, then next offseason they can put OL as priority #1.  Not ideal, but if that’s the worst thing, that they need an OT and aren’t hurting much elsewhere, that’s pretty good.  But it hurts knowing we could have had wirfs.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Also, if most of these other draft picks pan out, like wilson, breece, sauce, garrett, etc, then next offseason they can put OL as priority #1.  Not ideal, but if that’s the worst thing, that they need an OT and aren’t hurting much elsewhere, that’s pretty good.  But it hurts knowing we could have had wirfs.

I also wanted Wirfs. I think most of us did. I try not not to bog myself down in shoulda-woulda’s, though, even though I know it’s popular here. 

I’m gonna lock this thread, though. We already have a merged Becton thread, we don’t need to bump old ones. 

• Sympathy 1