Forgotten man on Defense, Jets Hope Brcye Huff Starts Turning Wins in to Sacks

Bryce-Huff-USA-Today.jpg

Having used the NFL draft to grab a couple of pass rushers in Jermaine Johnson and Michael Clemons, the Jets hope that the pair can combine with a healthy Carl Lawson to complete a formidable trio.  But forgotten in the mix it seems, would be third-year edge rusher Bryce Huff.  A talented player who is also a bit of an enigma.

If  you’ve followed the Jets closely over the past couple of years, you’re aware of some of the hype surrounding Huff.  An undrafted free agent out of Memphis, there were those who touted his addition as a potential steal.  A “draftable player” with positive traits who slipped through the cracks.

After picking up just two sacks as a rookie, there was still a fair bit of excitement surrounding Huff.  The box scores may not have shown it, but on film you could see him beating opposing offensive linemen with more consistency than you may have expected.  Even still, the sacks weren’t coming.

Good stuff from Bryce Huff (47) here. Giving up 50 lbs to DJ Humphries and drives him in to the backfield, helping force Kyler Murray to bail on the play. Showing he's more than just a speed guy off the edge. pic.twitter.com/HSBKp9c4YU

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) October 13, 2020

It was more of the same for Huff in year two.  Plenty of wins on film that didn’t always translate to sacks.  In total, Huff has registered only 4 sacks in two seasons after appearing in 23 games (7 starts).  But even still, the immense potential keeps showing up.  For the second year there were multiple outlets praising Huff’s win rate as a pass rusher.

One #Jets player doing exceptionally well in ESPN's pass-rush win rate metric (ranking among all edge rushers):

Bryce Huff — 9th/64 … 26% win rate
JFM — 45th/64 … 10%
Lawson — 58th/64 … 5.6%

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) October 14, 2021

As pointed out by Rich Cimini in the tweet above, Huff was winning his pass rush reps at a far more impressive rate than the more highly regarded John Franklin-Myers and the aforementioned Lawson.  At one point, Huff was winning 26% of his reps.  A very impressive number.

One could argue that win rates in recent years for the Jets against the pass yielded so few results because opposing quarterbacks were too often able to find an open receiver under pressure.  What else would you expect against what has been such a porous defense?  Or perhaps it was that much more of an adjustment for a kid coming out of a small program.  Huff has been able to do some good things without truly putting it all together and breaking out.

The unheralded defender has a quick first step, some impressive bend and surprising strength.  With the addition of Johnson and Clemons to go along with Lawson’s return, it’s time for him to not only win his matchups, but turn in some game changing plays.

The post Forgotten man on Defense, Jets Hope Brcye Huff Starts Turning Wins in to Sacks appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

Huff was hurt, along with any other rusher, by the fact that every guy running a route was open, no matter where they were and the QB could go anywhere with the ball and always avoid the rush.  Last year sucked.

• Upvote 1

horseshoes and hand grenades

I think too little too late for Huff, clock is ticking on contract, doubtful he will be here for 2nd contract so I really don't think we will see much of him after preseason unless injury especially with the signing of Martin.  I do think he sticks though because he is solid back up but he will have competition for that role as well.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

So Huff gets "wins that don't result is sacks" and Lawson gets "pressures than don't result in sacks".

I really hope all these wins and pressures and new guys, when combined, start results in sacks.  That'd be cool.

Call me old-school, but a win to me is actually getting the sack.  I know it makes everybody feel good that they get a win for just overpowering their guy, even though the QB had enough time to throw a 65 yard TD pass.  BUT....WHAT A WIN BY THE DEFENSE!

11 hours ago, the Claw said:

The DE rotation of Lawson, Johnson, Clemons, and Huff is not bad on paper, but they’re all question marks. Hopefully Johnson and Clemons can play and Lawson and Huff can stay healthy. 

Don’t forget Jacob Martin in the rotation. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/17/2022 at 11:15 PM, Warfish said:

So Huff gets "wins that don't result is sacks" and Lawson gets "pressures than don't result in sacks".

I really hope all these wins and pressures and new guys, when combined, start results in sacks.  That'd be cool.

I studied Carl Lawson quite closely when he was brought in as a FA. He has elite burst to challenge the pocket but lacks the lateral agility to close consistently. He needs a running mate on the other side to reduce QB escape routes. Hammer/anvil.

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

I studied Carl Lawson quite closely when he was brought in as a FA. He has elite burst to challenge the pocket but lacks the lateral agility to close consistently. He needs a running mate on the other side to reduce QB escape routes. Hammer/anvil.

Well...on the bright side, we have the best chance in years to have that "running mate" for Lawson this year.

• Upvote 2