Office romances......discussion spurred by the Boston Celtics thing.

Beerfish

Has anyone experienced this type of thing in their work place?  The rule for the Celtics seems to be geared towards a superior having undue influence with subordinates.

In my previous work place I had one of these, the romance was all above board and consensual.   Most people were happy for the two people getting along so well.  A senior manager was dating the head of the finance department.  The effect this had was this finance person (who rose through the ranks by just being there for a long time) all of a sudden was in on every single decision in the department.  She was consulted on every thing even when she really had zero reason to be involved.  As an employee you were put in a bad spot, there was more than once I felt like asking the manager 'Why is she involved in this at all?'  But of course this was the guys girlfriend.

I work in the restaurant business and you see a lot of relationships at work. It's more often than not 2 people who are equal or thereabouts on the depth chart. But I've worked at places where it's straight up said to not do it and it's probably a good idea. All of a sudden a server is getting the best sections and the significant other is the floor manager who assigns the sections. Something as little as an extra $50/shift times 5 shifts/week is an extra grand/month. Very quickly that's some real money. Or in back of house all of a sudden someone is at $20/hr yet is on salad station or gets scheduled swing shifts all the time. Eh, no good.

I did work at one place that has a huge roster (28 servers just for night shift in the summer) where the policy was basically we don't care but if it becomes an issue you're both fired. Issue means favoritism OR open bickering, drama and BS after breakup. Celtics policy seems harsh to some but I get it. 

• Upvote 1

When I worked in a big office, it was common, especially when you are dealing with people in their 20s and 30s. Did so myself on 1 occasion. Personally if everyone is a professional about it and not a jerk, I don't see a problem. There are unfortunately stupid and immature people who fail to act like adults.They probably act like a-holes in such situations anyway. But I don't think you can repeal the laws of attraction; put men and women in any setting and some invariably are gonna pair off. 

• Upvote 1

A few years ago, I suspected that a woman that reported to me was having an affair with my boss.  Turns out I was wrong.  It was my bosses boss.  She contends that they did not start dating until after he left the company.  Could have been an awkward situation for me, but whe was a very good worker, never had any issues that could have created problems.  Didn't matter to me.  They have been married about 5 years now.  And no longer work together, but she and I still do.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, chirorob said:

I have a small office, it is forbidden.

Don't poop where you cook.  Don't screw where you work.  No good can come of it, because when the 2 people break up, it's a mess, and causes huge stresses at the office.

I bought a full sized refrigerator for the new office we just moved into. I’m the boss so it’s ok I gots   me a side piece at the office and her name is Whirlpool! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

started working for a large insurance company at age 19 in the mailroom. Part of the job was to put items away after lunch time in the basement storage rooms.

The guy teaching me what to do instructs me to always knock on the door of the last room as one of the exec's used it to bang is assistant.

Not a romance but man were times different back in the 70's.

• Sympathy 1

My first job after graduation, the head partner's mistress was my secretary, whom I needed to get my work done on time.  Plus, she was also sec for another partner, so needless to say, my work was lower on the priority list with no way to complain.  Not good.  Spent a lot of time taking care of her nails, IIRC.   Looking back.... what a hell hole.  Wish I could reveal the name that some of you would know.

• Upvote 1