Is Jets' Elijah Moore the NFL's most ignored wide receiver?

Bronx

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/90365/is-jets-elijah-moore-the-nfls-most-ignored-wide-receiver

PITTSBURGH -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

Less for Moore: After a promising rookie season, Elijah Moore's production is down through three games. This can be traced to a number of factors, but these two loom largest: A subtle shift in his role and the emergence of rookie Garrett Wilson (32 targets, 18 catches, 214 yards).

Presented with this factoid, Moore smiled and said, "No comment." Probably a smart answer. The season is only three games old, and the last thing he wants to do is make a stink. After all, it's not like he's iced out of the offense. He still has 12 receptions on 21 targets, but he hasn't delivered any big plays or touchdowns.

He is getting open -- a lot. According to a new ESPN metric that tracks separation on untargeted routes, Moore's "open" score is tops on the Jets and tied for 15th in the NFL. His production slippage could be tied to the fact that he's running more vertical routes than he did as a rookie, as his average target has gone from 11.9 yards to 14.3. Clearly, quarterback Joe Flacco wasn't able to capitalize.

Moore's "superpower," to use an expression from the Jets' coaches, is his ability to separate quickly and make plays in space. At 5-foot-10, he's not the quintessential deep threat. Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur believes Moore can do it all, explaining that he was used on deep routes last week because the Cincinnati Bengals packed the middle and "begged" them to throw outside.

LaFleur said it's a "fun challenge" to satisfy everyone in a talented receiving corps. As for Moore, LaFleur said, "His time will come."

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Bronx said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/90365/is-jets-elijah-moore-the-nfls-most-ignored-wide-receiver

PITTSBURGH -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

Less for Moore: After a promising rookie season, Elijah Moore's production is down through three games. This can be traced to a number of factors, but these two loom largest: A subtle shift in his role and the emergence of rookie Garrett Wilson (32 targets, 18 catches, 214 yards).

Presented with this factoid, Moore smiled and said, "No comment." Probably a smart answer. The season is only three games old, and the last thing he wants to do is make a stink. After all, it's not like he's iced out of the offense. He still has 12 receptions on 21 targets, but he hasn't delivered any big plays or touchdowns.

He is getting open -- a lot. According to a new ESPN metric that tracks separation on untargeted routes, Moore's "open" score is tops on the Jets and tied for 15th in the NFL. His production slippage could be tied to the fact that he's running more vertical routes than he did as a rookie, as his average target has gone from 11.9 yards to 14.3. Clearly, quarterback Joe Flacco wasn't able to capitalize.

Moore's "superpower," to use an expression from the Jets' coaches, is his ability to separate quickly and make plays in space. At 5-foot-10, he's not the quintessential deep threat. Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur believes Moore can do it all, explaining that he was used on deep routes last week because the Cincinnati Bengals packed the middle and "begged" them to throw outside.

LaFleur said it's a "fun challenge" to satisfy everyone in a talented receiving corps. As for Moore, LaFleur said, "His time will come."

Moore being used mostly on post routed is not going to get him many receptions unless it is a perfect pass or Moore breaks the DB's ankles and is wide open. He isn't  a physical presence that wins jump balls. 

• Sympathy 2

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The article literally talks about his ability to get open. I don’t think jump balls is the issue, I think sending him deep when we cannot give our backup QB time in the pocket is the more likely forcing factor. In short, Moore is being used to present the threat of deep passes, despite the fact we cannot execute them right now. 

When the QBs had time last year, he thrived. It really comes down to that almost every time.

Moore's "superpower," to use an expression from the Jets' coaches, is his ability to separate quickly and make plays in space. At 5-foot-10, he's not the quintessential deep threat.

I think I understood what they said. Seems like Moore has the ability  to beat the DB at the line, or at least that is what is being implied  above.

Today is hte day Zach should be looking to Moore.  He can get open quickly out of the slot.  With a 4th string LT, 3 step drops to guys that know how to get open quickly.  Moore and Wilson should both get plenty of targets.  Unless we decide to send him on 9-routes and throw him jump balls 40 yards downfield.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

They’ve got to get Moore the ball more - find routes that are in his wheelhouse and make him the first read. He’s very good at getting open and Zach Wilson would benefit from some easy reads to build confidence.

After an offseason with a lot of questions about Moore’s ability to produce with Wilson at QB after he was better without him last year, it’d be funny if that trend reversed this year.

I’d like to see them mix up slot usage a little more with him and Garrett Wilson. Mostly because I think Wilson can win on 50/50 balls on the outside more effectively than Moore, but I also think it’d be harder for defenses to figure out where they’re going with defenders and easier for the Jets to find mismatches.

It is wild having receivers who get open like Wilson and Moore. Looks like a different sport than what I’m used to watching the Jets play.

• Sympathy 2

The article literally talks about his ability to get open. I don’t think jump balls is the issue, I think sending him deep when we cannot give our backup QB time in the pocket is the more likely forcing factor. In short, Moore is being used to present the threat of deep passes, despite the fact we cannot execute them right now. 
When the QBs had time last year, he thrived. It really comes down to that almost every time.
Bingo....deep threats are only threats when the defense knows the ball can get there before they can get to the qb. If the line can get to the qb in a microsecond than the deep post doesn't have time to develop.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.