2023 NFL mock drafts

maury77

59 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

As of right now, this is the best I will do at hitting areas of need with pending FA's.  I also added clevelands 2nd and 3rd next year. 148670099_ScreenShot2022-11-16at1_15_00PM.png.f9db33e619e5b400b347113a474fb24e.png

Posted about Mazi a little, you think he’s got the athleticism to fit what they want to do up front?

I prefer this site.  I think its player list is more realistic:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

I call this the happy falling player draft.  I would take it and run like a thief in the night.

Tyree Wilson

DL | Texas Tech

A+

I know, I know.  Another Wilson.  Top 10 guy.  All the measurements and production too.  I would grab Quentin Johnson WR or Trenton Simpson LB if they were there.  And before Wilson too.  Otherwise I think the smart play is to trade up or trade back.  The guys in the 20s are poor fits imo.

John Michael Schmitz

IOL | Minnesota

A

I concur that this is likely our center.  I traded back before taking him because I am fine with the others too.  I also want to improve the later picks.

Jack Campbell

LB | Iowa

A+

An opportunistic pick.  There are late round linebackers too who will make our team.  I like Iowa players though.

Cedric Tillman

WR | Tennessee

A

I habitually add a wide receiver in almost every draft.  Tillman is great value here.  I would pay more for him and considered him at 70.  This draft falls off a cliff around the 100th pick.  The beef on both sides of the ball thins out quick.  After that it is linebackers and safeties for this year. 

K.J. Jefferson

QB | Arkansas

A

Tomorrow's QB today.  Another big strong fast QB who can run the read option as a genuine triple threat.  A total bargain late in the draft.  Raw.  If he can learn to make the first read he is trouble.  Reminds me of Fields.

This is more the way it looks to me.  There are several second tier OTs and DTs available at the end of the first round.  But if you wait until our second round pick at 55 all of them are gone.  These guys are good starting candidates.   

Broderick Jones

OT | Georgia

A+

Solid OT prospect.  All the measurements.  I would be fine with Fashanu too.  I moved back to get the ammo to move up again. 

Siaki Ika

DL | Baylor

A+

The best of the second tier DTs he is not weak stuff.  He is just not Carter or Bresee.  And that is no sin.    Well worth a trade up.  The DTs and OTs do not last until the 55th pick imo.

Jarrett Patterson

IOL | Notre Dame

A+

One of the really good center candidates will be available in the 90s.  I do not have a strong preference yet. 

Cedric Tillman

WR | Tennessee

A

Always ranks the WRs and do not get skunked.  A bargain at 102, Tillman might be a real good pro.

Cedric Gray

LB | North Carolina

A+

A shot in the dark.  I want to draft a QB with our last pick.  Penix, K J Jefferson and Cameron Ward would all do nicely. 

My favorite QB in the draft is Hooker.  I suspect he will be a top 10 pick.  By the time he graduates he will have had nearly 50 college starts.  Talk about smoking the Parcells' rule on rookie QBs.  So what if he is 24?  The man is Geno Smith with the experience to win now.  Such a nice spiral.  Alas, his price will be out of our reach imo.   

2 hours ago, derp said:

Posted about Mazi a little, you think he’s got the athleticism to fit what they want to do up front?

He's topped freak lists before, i think the kids size is one thing that this defense gets a little jolt with.  

Traditionally saleh wants his defense built on speed, but I dont think anyone could disagree with the type of size and how that would free up quinnen inside for one on one rushes.  You really cannot single block a 335 lb man consistently, you'll have to send doubles at him more often than not.  as the 1 tech that creates a lot of issues for offenses with Quinnen at the other spot at the 3.  Then if you put lawson and quinnen on the same side it creates even more frustration for offenses.  It just allows the defense to play better and gives our linebackers a little more freedom to scrape. 

So size wise i love the potential for the defense.

Your question was to athleticism.   

Not sure how accurate these testing numbers are but I have seen that he has posted a 33" vertical, a 9'4.5 broad and an insane 6.94 3 cone time for a man that is going to weigh in around 330.  Not sure what his 40 will be but i would guess faster than we think and ive heard he's going to absolutely crushhhhh the bench press at the combine.  

At those numbers, he'll profile as an athletic freak for a 330+ lb man. I actually spoke to some people at Michigan when they were down here for the rutgers game and they think he's going to be a big time riser in the offseason. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

He's topped freak lists before, i think the kids size is one thing that this defense gets a little jolt with.  

Traditionally saleh wants his defense built on speed, but I dont think anyone could disagree with the type of size and how that would free up quinnen inside for one on one rushes.  You really cannot single block a 335 lb man consistently, you'll have to send doubles at him more often than not.  as the 1 tech that creates a lot of issues for offenses with Quinnen at the other spot at the 3.  Then if you put lawson and quinnen on the same side it creates even more frustration for offenses.  It just allows the defense to play better and gives our linebackers a little more freedom to scrape. 

Not sure how accurate these testing numbers are but I have seen that he has posted a 33" vertical, a 9'4.5 broad and an insane 6.94 3 cone time for a man that is going to weigh in around 330.  Not sure what his 40 will be but i would guess faster than we think and ive heard he's going to absolutely crushhhhh the bench press at the combine.  

At those numbers, he'll profile as an athletic freak for a 330+ lb man. I actually spoke to some people at Michigan when they were down here for the rutgers game and they think he's going to be a big time riser in the offseason. 

I’m absolutely with you and had a similar thought process but didn’t know if I was just oversimplifying and you know way, way more than me so figured I’d ask. Great stuff.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I guess building on the prior post I think the first half and last half relate to each other as to why he’s an intriguing fit. If he’s going to test like a pretty athletic 290 pound dude then he’s got the athletic ability to play in the scheme and do the kinds of things they’ll ask as you discussed in the second half of your post - but in this case you get all that athleticism in a 330+ pound package which has all the downstream benefits you talk about in the first half. And he’s apparently a leader on what’s a really good college team right now. I don’t think he goes in the fourth or fifth like the mocks have him now but I’m very intrigued by the idea of them drafting him.

If he doesn’t go too high it’s kind of like discount Jordan Davis at a time iDL is a need and the roster is built enough to afford an early-ish pick at that spot. And we know Douglas loves big athletes and he and Saleh both like building up front.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

I guess building on the prior post I think the first half and last half relate to each other as to why he’s an intriguing fit. If he’s going to test like a pretty athletic 290 pound dude then he’s got the athletic ability to play in the scheme and do the kinds of things they’ll ask as you discussed in the second half of your post - but in this case you get all that athleticism in a 330+ pound package which has all the downstream benefits you talk about in the first half. And he’s apparently a leader on what’s a really good college team right now. I don’t think he goes in the fourth or fifth like the mocks have him now but I’m very intrigued by the idea of them drafting him.

If he doesn’t go too high it’s kind of like discount Jordan Davis at a time iDL is a need and the roster is built enough to afford an early-ish pick at that spot. And we know Douglas loves big athletes and he and Saleh both like building up front.

Yea he just seems like such a fit for taking this already great D to another level.  As a DC i just think of the possibilities a guy of his stature and athleticism (if realized to his full potential) presents for a defense.  

Not even in SF has Saleh had a 1 tech that has demanded double teams and been able to anchor on the DL.  The weakness of this defense is that it loves light LBs which against gap scheme run teams that get downhill quick can be an issue, especially when you have your DL attacking at all times.  At 330+ lbs he can keep guards from getting to the second level, maintain doubles on outside zone and scrape laterally, as well as get good push in the pocket.  It's just a no brainer fit to give this defense something it has not had since probably kris jenkins.  

I agree though 4-5th round is not happening.  I can see as high as 2nd if he really tears up the combine like guys are saying.  but with the need at DL coming due to all the FA's we'll have it just makes a ton of sense to grab this guy at that position in the draft even, if possible. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea he just seems like such a fit for taking this already great D to another level.  As a DC i just think of the possibilities a guy of his stature and athleticism (if realized to his full potential) presents for a defense.  

Not even in SF has Saleh had a 1 tech that has demanded double teams and been able to anchor on the DL.  The weakness of this defense is that it loves light LBs which against gap scheme run teams that get downhill quick can be an issue, especially when you have your DL attacking at all times.  At 330+ lbs he can keep guards from getting to the second level, maintain doubles on outside zone and scrape laterally, as well as get good push in the pocket.  It's just a no brainer fit to give this defense something it has not had since probably kris jenkins.  

I agree though 4-5th round is not happening.  I can see as high as 2nd if he really tears up the combine like guys are saying.  but with the need at DL coming due to all the FA's we'll have it just makes a ton of sense to grab this guy at that position in the draft even, if possible. 

Yeah I’d have no issue taking him in the second if he tests as projected. It’s always interesting to see how teams address schematic weaknesses with players who don’t fit what their prototype has been - sometimes they break to improve things and sometimes they bang their heads against the wall. I do think this defense seems to still be in the building phase so as good as they’ve looked at points this year I hope they’re not done tinkering.

I don’t think these types are always available but do you think a middle of the field playmaker at safety would take this defense to a different level as well or is that me? Feel like the front is good and the corners are good so playmakers would be scary. Thinking of needing to account for someone like Minkah when they played the Steelers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

Yeah I’d have no issue taking him in the second if he tests as projected. It’s always interesting to see how teams address schematic weaknesses with players who don’t fit what their prototype has been - sometimes they break to improve things and sometimes they bang their heads against the wall. I do think this defense seems to still be in the building phase so as good as they’ve looked at points this year I hope they’re not done tinkering.

I think you have to throw all conventional wisdom out the door here.  They have addressed positions out of the box than most people would normally do.  Taking sauce for instance who is a fantastic M2M corner playing a lot more Man coverage than people anticipated even this year so far.  just a lot of different ideas that they havent necessarily done in their past. 

Everyone just assumes its a rip/liz cvr 3 match/ quarters coverage team but they've used a lot more man here than i think anyone anticipated. so I think anything is possible here.  Hell even offensively we've been different than I think anyone anticipated going into year 1. So i think when scouting prospects its not just finding guys that fit the MO of the staff, but also finding guys that can fit into the offense and defense and change it for the better.  

In this case it provides a little of both. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think you have to throw all conventional wisdom out the door here.  They have addressed positions out of the box than most people would normally do.  Taking sauce for instance who is a fantastic M2M corner playing a lot more Man coverage than people anticipated even this year so far.  just a lot of different ideas that they havent necessarily done in their past. 

Everyone just assumes its a rip/liz cvr 3 match/ quarters coverage team but they've used a lot more man here than i think anyone anticipated. so I think anything is possible here.  Hell even offensively we've been different than I think anyone anticipated going into year 1. So i think when scouting prospects its not just finding guys that fit the MO of the staff, but also finding guys that can fit into the offense and defense and change it for the better.  

In this case it provides a little of both. 

Love it. I agree the breadcrumbs of them operating that way are there, between what they did last offseason in terms of who they added versus schematic expectations and how they’re running the offense this year which is a great call.

Also, ability to defend the run isn’t the absolute priority but with teams running more two high I think it’s more important than a couple years ago and having a body they can mix in like that who can be disruptive with athleticism but also tie up blockers would be nice. (EDIT: just saw the DJ tweet above basically saying the same thing).

Definitely hope they continue to tinker with this thing and adjust. Think that’s what better staffs do. It’s been fun to follow thus far, hope they can keep pushing it forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Love it. I agree the breadcrumbs of them operating that way are there, between what they did last offseason in terms of who they added versus schematic expectations and how they’re running the offense this year which is a great call.

Also, ability to defend the run isn’t the absolute priority but with teams running more two high I think it’s more important than a couple years ago and having a body they can mix in like that who can be disruptive with athleticism but also tie up blockers would be nice. (EDIT: just saw the DJ tweet above basically saying the same thing).

Definitely hope they continue to tinker with this thing and adjust. Think that’s what better staffs do. It’s been fun to follow thus far, hope they can keep pushing it forward.

I think they will.  Saleh over his career has shown to be innovative with his defense by making small subtle tweeks year in and year out and even mid season as necessary.  He did it a bunch in SF and its proven to be a little more progressive with the Defense this year. 

Offensively has been really the fun thing to watch.  They have really mixed up what they've done with wilson from what we thought they would be coming in.  I have said it since the first training camp last year, this is not the SF offense.  This is the GB offense with some SF flavor.  

Miami is more the SF offense, but with mcdaniels super innovative twist on RPO's and his unique blocking schemes for his gap scheme runs. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, derp said:

I agree Derp, but I wonder how much value they are going to place on a big 1 technique if they have to pull him off the field on passing downs. 

20 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree Derp, but I wonder how much value they are going to place on a big 1 technique if they have to pull him off the field on passing downs. 

Thats the thing though, I dont think they need to pull him off the field.  Its a rotation anyway as it is, but he's explosive and powerful enough to push the pocket and get a rush on his own.  

He's so much quicker and more explosive than you would think from a 330+ man

Check this rush out against iowa. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don't know if that's a huge problem with Smith because a) he's a freaky athlete so I think he fits enough - I don't think they'd take a plodder who purely eats space but an elite athlete who happens to be big probably fits just fine and b) they rotating like crazy on the DL and I think they already have patterns of certain guys they want to get on the field in passing situations (Lawson-JFM-Q-Huff especially) so having someone they'd lean on being on the field more on rushing downs - at least to me - kind of fits what they're doing anyway.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, derp said:

I don't know if that's a huge problem with Smith because a) he's a freaky athlete so I think he fits enough - I don't think they'd take a plodder who purely eats space but an elite athlete who happens to be big probably fits just fine and b) they rotating like crazy on the DL and I think they already have patterns of certain guys they want to get on the field in passing situations (Lawson-JFM-Q-Huff especially) so having someone they'd lean on being on the field more on rushing downs - at least to me - kind of fits what they're doing anyway.

Yea I agree, it just makes a lot of sense for the team.  I think he's going to work himself up higher in the draft.

The comparison keeps sticking in my mind, but he reminds me of kris jenkins.  I'm not sure the mesurables and testing numbers/how they stack up. But a big nimble 330+ guy like that just is really giving me jenkins vibes. 

Edit: May not be the best comparison because looking back, jenkins was 350 lol but still he gives me those vibes. 

Edit EDit:

So did some research, Here was jenkins pre draft measurables and testing numbers

height: 6 ft 4+7⁄8 in(1.95 m)

Weight: 316 lb(143 kg)

Arm length: 32 in(0.81 m)

Hands: 9+3⁄4 in(0.25 m)

40 yard: 5.19 s

10 yard: 1.75 s

20 yard: 3.06 s

20 yd shuttle: 4.41 s

3 cone: 7.86 s

Vert: 31 in
(0.79 m)

Broad:9 ft 0 in
(2.74 m)

Bench: 33 reps

In a lot of spots MS will beat those numbers. 

I've heard he did 22 reps of 325 which is 100 lbs more than the 225 at the combine.  Hearing similar 40 if not high 4s and his 3 cone of 6.94 shatters the 7.86 jenkins put up also reportedly a higher vert and broad. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2022 at 3:06 PM, clayton163v said:

I prefer this site.  I think its player list is more realistic:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

I call this the happy falling player draft.  I would take it and run like a thief in the night.

Tyree Wilson

DL | Texas Tech

A+

I know, I know.  Another Wilson.  Top 10 guy.  All the measurements and production too.  I would grab Quentin Johnson WR or Trenton Simpson LB if they were there.  And before Wilson too.  Otherwise I think the smart play is to trade up or trade back.  The guys in the 20s are poor fits imo.

John Michael Schmitz

IOL | Minnesota

A

I concur that this is likely our center.  I traded back before taking him because I am fine with the others too.  I also want to improve the later picks.

Jack Campbell

LB | Iowa

A+

An opportunistic pick.  There are late round linebackers too who will make our team.  I like Iowa players though.

Cedric Tillman

WR | Tennessee

A

I habitually add a wide receiver in almost every draft.  Tillman is great value here.  I would pay more for him and considered him at 70.  This draft falls off a cliff around the 100th pick.  The beef on both sides of the ball thins out quick.  After that it is linebackers and safeties for this year. 

K.J. Jefferson

QB | Arkansas

A

Tomorrow's QB today.  Another big strong fast QB who can run the read option as a genuine triple threat.  A total bargain late in the draft.  Raw.  If he can learn to make the first read he is trouble.  Reminds me of Fields.

Quentin Johnston is my favorite player in the draft.  I don’t think he will run as fast as some think which could drop him a bit, but I think he will be a great Larry Fitzgerald type WR in the NFL.  I would run his name to the podium if he fell to our 1st round pick

On 11/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea I agree, it just makes a lot of sense for the team.  I think he's going to work himself up higher in the draft.

The comparison keeps sticking in my mind, but he reminds me of kris jenkins.  I'm not sure the mesurables and testing numbers/how they stack up. But a big nimble 330+ guy like that just is really giving me jenkins vibes. 

Edit: May not be the best comparison because looking back, jenkins was 350 lol but still he gives me those vibes. 

Edit EDit:

So did some research, Here was jenkins pre draft measurables and testing numbers

height: 6 ft 4+7⁄8 in(1.95 m)

Weight: 316 lb(143 kg)

Arm length: 32 in(0.81 m)

Hands: 9+3⁄4 in(0.25 m)

40 yard: 5.19 s

10 yard: 1.75 s

20 yard: 3.06 s

20 yd shuttle: 4.41 s

3 cone: 7.86 s

Vert: 31 in
(0.79 m)

Broad:9 ft 0 in
(2.74 m)

Bench: 33 reps

In a lot of spots MS will beat those numbers. 

I've heard he did 22 reps of 325 which is 100 lbs more than the 225 at the combine.  Hearing similar 40 if not high 4s and his 3 cone of 6.94 shatters the 7.86 jenkins put up also reportedly a higher vert and broad. 

The ironic part is I selected Smith in my mock, I just don't know a lot about him. I definitely agree with you and @derp that a big, athletic NT type is just what the line needs. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, WhartonJet said:

Quentin Johnston is my favorite player in the draft.  I don’t think he will run as fast as some think which could drop him a bit, but I think he will be a great Larry Fitzgerald type WR in the NFL.  I would run his name to the podium if he fell to our 1st round pick

Me too.  He is a prototype outside guy.  While I like our two young WRs in Wilson and Moore, we have room to add a big wideout.  There is always room at the top.  While Mims may yet pan out - like Joe D I am unwilling to give him away - I think it is good practice to take a WR every draft.  If Johnson is there when we pick, it is a no brainer.  Same with Trenton Simpson at LB.  He reminds me of Parsons.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brugler's first mock, from The Athletic: 

22. New York Jets: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson*

C.J. Mosley is getting older and Quincy Williams is in the final year of his deal, so linebacker might be a position the Jets examine in the early rounds next April. With his position flexibility as a blitzer, run stopper and cover man, Trenton Simpson offers the athletic versatility that will appeal to Jets coach Robert Saleh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The few mocks I have done with simulators, Wr has been the best value imo.  Doubt if we take one but looking at who was there I wanted to take a Wr.

I agree about the value, the way the league has gone with contracts for WRs getting an immediate starter on a rookie contract is a huge boost. Even a mediocre (by league standards) WR like Robbie Anderson will likely retire with more money made from the NFL than say a centerpiece RB like a Josh Jacobs. 

This is one thing about JD, how smart he has been just in terms of understanding where the league is with the money for contract allocation; we've drafted 3 WRs in the first two rounds of each draft he's been in charge. Paying a standout WR a rookie contract is a huge advantage compared to most other teams, even if Mims has been a semi-miss at this stage. 

On 11/30/2022 at 7:08 PM, PLO said:

Brugler's first mock, from The Athletic: 

22. New York Jets: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson*

C.J. Mosley is getting older and Quincy Williams is in the final year of his deal, so linebacker might be a position the Jets examine in the early rounds next April. With his position flexibility as a blitzer, run stopper and cover man, Trenton Simpson offers the athletic versatility that will appeal to Jets coach Robert Saleh.

Problem is we wouldn't value the versatility  that he brings. We wouldn't need an ILB that can stand up and rush the edge in passing situations. Something more simplistic is something we'd favor and certainly of better value like a day 2 or 3 pick. 

On 12/4/2022 at 5:24 PM, Beerfish said:

The few mocks I have done with simulators, Wr has been the best value imo.  Doubt if we take one but looking at who was there I wanted to take a Wr.

Best value I've seen is Tackle and pass rusher. Two positions I'd rather over WR.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Problem is we wouldn't value the versatility  that he brings. We wouldn't need an ILB that can stand up and rush the edge in passing situations. Something more simplistic is something we'd favor and certainly of better value like a day 2 or 3 pick. 

Best value I've seen is Tackle and pass rusher. Two positions I'd rather over WR.

Tackle I'd go for, for sure, pass rusher.  I would not be happy at all as a matter of fact I'd be pissed.   The guy we traded up for last year does not get enough snaps, we have others that can rush the passer.  No way am i investing a high pick in a pass rusher right now.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tackle I'd go for, for sure, pass rusher.  I would not be happy at all as a matter of fact I'd be pissed.   The guy we traded up for last year does not get enough snaps, we have others that can rush the passer.  No way am i investing a high pick in a pass rusher right now.

If they let Lawson go, you'd still be against a pass rusher?  I think pass rushers are like WRs you keep drafting them.  You can never have too many and you can always move them for value.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If they let Lawson go, you'd still be against a pass rusher?  I think pass rushers are like WRs you keep drafting them.  You can never have too many and you can always move them for value.

We have have huff another year of clemons, johnson does not get on the field and we play our dline very top end guys get on the field for like 65% of the snaps.  go fa if you want to replace lawson.

Now if we were sitting there looking at will anderson that is another story.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jermaine Johnson should definitely garner enough snaps as long as he's healthy. 

I'm more so looking ahead before the position once again become a glaring need. As @#27TheDominator implied you can never have enough pass rusher and you can liquidate them faster then any other position other then QB. 

Not that I want either to go but contractually it's possible and highly probably that Lawson and JFM can become cap casualties this offseason. If either guy weren't to then they're playing on one year expiring deals in 2023. The going rate for that position as we can see in their contracts is around $13-16M for solid play. Plus if Lawson balls out he's going to the highest bidder not matter how trashy they are (ala "21 Jets). But the Jets can't go wrong with drafting a edge rusher. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2022 at 5:24 PM, Beerfish said:

Me too.  If we do not take one in the first, I could see us take one in the second.  There is a solid second tier.  Mostly smaller and lighter guys but if they can break the jam ala Garrett Wilson, who cares?

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, Beerfish said:

We have have huff another year of clemons, johnson does not get on the field and we play our dline very top end guys get on the field for like 65% of the snaps.  go fa if you want to replace lawson.

Now if we were sitting there looking at will anderson that is another story.

with where we are in the draft and the lack of clear need, i could definitely see us taking a WR in that position as it would be most likely the BPA in that spot. 

I have to go through this years class more in depth, but I dont believe any of the guys I really love will make it down towards us. 

• 2 weeks later...